• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,318 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,318

The Calm Before The Storm

I woke up to the sound of someone in the kitchen. I was a little confused at first. I mean, what burglar would just pop in and make themselves a sandwich? I grabbed my baseball bat, and was ready to launch myself into the kitchen, and then realization hit me. The events of last night came to the fore of my mind, and I realized that it was probably Vinyl in the kitchen.

I groaned quite audibly, it was too early to be up. After last night's late ending, I didn't expect to be up this early. I checked the clock, which read 9:04. Ugh, facepalm number two. Apparently, I hadn't even gotten nine hours of sleep, let alone my usual twelve. No wonder I was so tired.

Then again, I did smell breakfast. Who cares about sleep? I'll bet Vinyl's making some of her famous pancakes. I shot up off the couch, making a beeline for the tiny kitchen. Inside its purple and white walls was the source of that delicious smell. I was right, Vinyl was making pancakes, and bacon, too. Bacon? Where'd she get that?

"Hey, mornin'! Why are you up so early," I asked as I walked up behind her. I gave her a quick hug, and continued. "And where'd you get the bacon?" I leaned my head over her shoulder, kissing the exposed skin of her neck.

She smiled, and her lips found mine. "I got up early, and went to the market. I decided to make breakfast, as a kind of thank you for letting me stay." She flipped a pancake, and took the bacon off the pan.

I smiled at her gratitude. "It was nothing, you're welcome any time you like. And with this kind of a 'good morning', I might have to trap you here more often." She grinned, and tapped me with a batter-covered spoon, leaving some of the gooey mess behind on my nose. I wiped it off, and after a moment's consideration, sucked it off my finger.

"You know that's not cooked right?" She didn't turn around, but I could feel her laughing in my embrace. I could never get enough of these small moments. That, and seeing her entrancing scarlet eyes. No drug or drink would ever have a thing on this girl in terms of forgetting your worries.

Now that I think about it, blue really was her color, even though I was more of a purple person, as indicated by my various furnishings. And even though I may look good in all shades of blue, I still preferred any variant of violet... Freaking alliteration.

I guess I still must have been admiring her gorgeous figure, because she caught me staring. She tapped me with the spoon again, and mock-glared at me. This used to be a game with us, but now, I was actually staring.

"We'll be having none of that now, young lady. What would your parents think?" I grimaced, and understanding hit her like a brick wall. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I wasn't thinking." I put a hand on her shoulder, and lightly brushed my lips against hers, doing the only sure thing to calm her down. Well, usually I'd just hug her, but I have some leeway now.

I shook my head, and put my arms around her. "It's okay. And, besides, I know exactly what they would think. I came out to them years ago. Turns out, The twins were the only straight ones in the lot of us. Me'n Cloud turned out... different. The point is, they're happy for me, no matter what. Cloud lives here in the city, with his boyfriend Zack, and I've found you." I stared deep into those crimson eyes, and a sudden thought struck me.

"That reminds me, I need to take you to meet them. Well, they know you, just not as, you know.." I trailed off, sure that I sounded like an idiot. "Are we dating?" I was a little unsure. After all, yesterday was only the first date. She pushed at me playfully.

"Of course we are, silly. Come on, I stayed over last night, and I made breakfast." She tipped the last of the pancakes on a plate, and turned around to face me. "Lets eat, before it gets cold." She sat in a chair at he little table, and I took the chair next to her.

"This looks really good. Thanks, Vinyl." She paused, mid-chew. She blushed, and then swallowed, so she could speak.

"It was no problem, really. I just felt like it. Honestly, this was the first morning in a long time that I didn't wake up more tired than I was the night before. I guess I just felt safer here than in my own place. Maybe the wary part of me realized you wouldn't let anything hurt me, that part of me that keeps a pistol hidden under my pillow." She reached over and took my free hand.

It was my turn to swallow quickly, so I could answer. Unfortunately, my appetite had gotten the best of me, and as I tried to swallow down the food in my mouth, it created a lump in my throat that was extremely hard to get down. It brought tears of pain to my eyes, and I snatched up my glass of milk, and downed it in one gulp. I let out a gasp, and eventually, my breathing slowed. Vinyl looked concerned, and amused, all at the same time.

"Are you all right?" She looked curiously at me, holding back laughter.

"Oh, yeah, totally fine. Because your pancakes totally didn't just try to kill me." I was still a little disgruntled, and she noticed.

"It wasn't the pancake's fault, you just need to stop inhaling your food." She finally started laughing, and shook her head in disbelief.

" Okay, fine. But it's just so good!" I finished up the rest of the pancakes, and moved onto the bacon. And yet, even for all her scolding, Vinyl herself was already finished.

Finally, we were done with breakfast. I picked up our plates, and dumped them in the sink, to wash later. "All right, I guess we'd better get you back to your place, so you can change." She looked at me expectantly. " I'm taking you to meet my mom, and my sisters." She looked excited, and also afraid.

"Like, now? Are you sure? We've only been together for a day. Isn't that a little fast?" I put my hand on her mouth to stem the tide of questions.

"Look, I know we've only been together a day. But remember, I've known you for almost my whole life, that's long enough." She nodded, and I set off to change.