• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,319 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,319

A Good Night's Sleep

I walked Vinyl home after the party, telling her jokes and funny stories the whole way. It was the least I could do, seeing as she had just revealed some pretty personal stuff. She really seemed to enjoy the stories about how I got Fluttershy to join the flight team in middle school. Man, that was definitely crazy. “Goodnight Vi, see you in the morning. Have good dreams and whatnot.” She pulled that smile again, this time with a wink. She was really driving me crazy. I mean, she always has, but her teasing was different now. A little more... Sensual. Flirty.

"I bet I will, Dash, after that kiss." Her eyes shone with mirth. She enjoys teasing me as much as she ever has. Oh well, I'll get her back later, with some crafty prank. Pranks are pretty much my modus operandi. "Goodnight, Dash. Have some sweet dreams tonight! Maybe, artifically sweetened?" Dear Luna, that girl! She doesn't quit!

After I made sure she was safely inside, I took my time getting back to my apartment, even though it was only a couple blocks away. I needed time to think, and the night hours always relaxed me. That, and the stars reminded me of long nights with some old girlfriends. Oh, I was going to have a heck of a night. Ordinarily I loved the solitude to think, but tonight, my thoughts were the problem.

“Well, she’s beautiful, sweet, kind, funny, loves music and partying, and has blue hair. She’s loyal, brave, strong, and not afraid of a challenge. Oh, and she likes me, too,” I mused to myself. Thinking out loud usually helps, and as I walked, I could breathe again, the weight on my chest lifting, just as I realized it was there. I shook out my head as I realized what I had to do. "Thank you, Vinyl, thank you!" I practically skipped down the sidewalk, heart lighter than it had been in months.

I had to tell the most beautiful woman I knew that I loved her. Should be easy, right? The question is, how?

I guess I could just walk up to her and say it, but that doesn’t seem right. Not at all. She's special. She's my best friend. It needs to be romantic and peaceful, like tonight was. But how am I gonna do that? I mean, I’m not exactly the most mushy girl around, even if I've got charm and smooth moves to spare. In fact, I’m usually the last person that people come to for relationship advice. With good reason, of course, seeing as most of my relationships ended in disaster.

“That’s it! I’ll ask Applejack! I mean, I would ask Rarity, but she’s really snooty; and I don’t know how she’ll react to me being, well, into girls. I mean, I guess this makes me a lesbian unquestionably, now. Still, I know AJ can help me.” Seeing as I ran crying to her after my incident with Twi, she already knew my secret. It still embarrassed me, the thought of my breakdown. I've never been weak, and even when I felt hopeless, I managed to keep it to myself. Not that time, though.

I finally arrived at my door a few minutes later, thoroughly exhausted. As I fumbled for my keys in the dark, I realized I was still wearing a goofy smile. Augh, sentiment! “Huh, I guess I do really like her. Well, I knew that, but I didn’t want to admit it. Not after last time." I shook my head, chasing away those evil thoughts. "I guess I’m still in a kind of daze. Okay, whatever, I can deal with that.”

I stepped in the door, and promptly tripped over the umbrella stand. Great. “Why the hell do I always do that? Stupid umbrellas,” I growled as I righted the stand. I guess it was my fault for being all loopy. “Hey, Tank! I’m home! Come here, buddy!” I clapped my hands, and heard a thump down the hallway.

I watched as he came trundling out of the bedroom. “Hey buddy, how are you,” I asked as I scratched under his leathery skin. He made the turtle equivalent of a purr. It was a weird, gravelly sound, like rocks in a washing machine. Not that I would ever do something like that, as a prank, or anything.

“Well, I guess I’d better get some sleep now. Comin' with?” I went and grabbed some pajama pants from the clean hamper, and slipped out of my jeans, then dropped them in the dirty hamper. I turned around to see Tank staring at me pitifully.

“ All right, you can sleep with me tonight. Get up here, you big lug.” He took his cue, and clambered up his little stairs to the bed. I sighed, and climbed into bed, myself. I pulled up the maroon cotton sheets, and turned off the light. “Good night, Tank. See ya in the morning,” I managed to get out past my yawn. I guess I was tired, after all.

I pulled the blankets closer around me, expecting a restless night, but as soon as I closed my eyes, I was out. I snuggled in deeper, and prepared to have some good dreams.

And, were they ever. I didn’t think I felt that strongly. I suppose it's not the first time, though.