• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 5,539 Views, 2,313 Comments

Tales of the Battle Foals - Sirdubya



Equestria hates fighting, so what happens when a foal is born with a special talent for it? For Fire Fight, a grand adventure across the lands will ensue. One that will open everypony's eyes, and show him the true meaning of who he is.

  • ...
18
 2,313
 5,539

PreviousChapters Next
I Know The Feeling

Shadow Shroud unveiled her face as she and the colts regained their composure. Fire Fight looked at her, and thanked her for the help. She didn’t reply as her gaze was affixed on a dejected looking Turf War. Fire Fight looked him too to see him hanging his head down, looking like he was about to cry. Fire Fight walked over to him, and put his hoof on his shoulder. “Hey…Turf War…”

Turf War brushed his hoof away. “Not now…” he muttered. Fire Fight knew what was wrong. Turf War felt like the center of this huge lie told by an officer he knew, somepony he thought would one day help him cleanse Detrot of the filth that had infected it… only to realize that he was just as filthy.

Fire Fight decided to give Turf War a moment until Shadow Shroud nudged him on the side. He looked over to her, and she gave him a commanding look and nod. He knew what this meant, and took his chance.

“Turf War, look… I know how you feel right now. You-”

“YOU DON’T KNOW S***!” Turf War shouted. Fire Fight jumped back. “Ever since I could see how whack this city was, all I ever wanted to do was save it! I wanted to help anyway I could ‘til I grew up, and became a cop! And ya know what? I could too! I was bashing thugs ‘round keepin’ ‘em down so they’d learn somethin’; I was already kinda bein’ a cop! Now how’m I supposed to feel knowin’ dat somepony I hoped to be turned out to be a damn snake, HUH!? WELL!?” he was beginning to tear up from sheer frustration.

Fire Fight let him vent for that moment as he let Turf War’s words sit. “You’re right. I don’t know exactly how you feel, but I’ve been in the same kind of place as you. I know the feeling of wanting to right every wrong you see. I know the feeling of seeing everything you do be for nothing. I know the feeling of having your hopes be crushed right in front of you. And I know the feeling of essentially being betrayed by your own special talent. It’s because of all those feelings that I ran away from it all. Why? Because I saw that it was all a lost cause…It was beyond my help. It’s the same reason why I set out to help foals like you and me, other lost causes….I think you can see as clearly as I can, maybe more clearly that Detrot…is a lost cause. It’s beyond your help because your special talent won’t help you save it. I’m sure there’s a miracle waiting to happen, but it's not happening anytime soon. The same went for me and Manehatten; I had to leave it behind because I couldn’t do anything for it, and ended up making trouble for myself, and my mom. When it started to come back in Ponyville, I knew that I didn’t belong in Equestria, so I left it all behind to live peacefully where my special talent won’t be a problem for anypony, and I want to save every other foal like me that I could from this kind of despair that we both feel now.” He said.

Turf War seemed to calm down as he listened to Fire Fight’s speech. He may not have been able to see what Fire Fight endured where he came from, but he could clearly see the empathy in his eyes. He had seen his struggles, and in a way, shared them with him. To Turf War, Fire Fight was no longer just some random stranger, but…a comrade…a friend. The same went for Shadow Shroud despite her…interesting disposition. “Yeah……I guess so….. So ya know what? F*** this place man! I’m comin’ wit you!” he declared.

Fire Fight’s eyes twinkled as Shadow Shroud simply smiled at Turf War’s decision. Their first rescue! Maybe this wasn’t some pipe dream after all. Maybe he could make a difference for the foals that needed it. What was better, Fire Fight could see Turf War’s resolve; it was the very same kind that fueled his own escape, and lit the torch for his mission.

“R-Really?” Fire Fight asked excitedly.

Turf War rose his head higher. “You damn right! Maybe I can’t save Detrot, but if there are otha lost foals out there who need savin’, then I’m down to give ‘em dat. You showed me that they exist- I’m one of ‘em, man!” he answered. He held his hoof, and Fire Fight immediately returned the gesture as a brohoof.

“Welcome aboard, Turf War! It’s good to have you!” Fire Fight cheered.

Shadow Shroud walked up to Turf War. “Indeed. You’ll certainly be a major help in our little crusade, not to mention add to our firepower.” She said.

“Yeah, really. I’m tough, but I couldn’t have taken that full body shove like you did! And you’ve got some amazing skill with…making trash into effective weapons.” Fire Fight commented.

Turf War blushed. “Man, y’all a trip. I only ever use this exact set up. Just my preference, ya know wut I’m sayin’?” he said.

Before any of them could speak, they could see multiple lights frantically moving in random direction way off in the direction of the warehouses, and what looked to be adults entering the grass field. They decided to book it further away from the city. They ran a few good miles before stumbling upon an ankle deep river. They decided to set up camp here once they knew they weren’t being searched for, as well as wash the sewer stench off of themselves. As they did, Fire Fight noticed Turf War looking out towards Detrot occasionally with a look of guilt on his face. He walked up to him, and put his hoof on his shoulder. “Hey… I know it’s hard…but I had to endure this alone before I bumped into Shadow Shroud. You have the two of us to support you! Just keep that resolve strong in your heart, and nothing else will matter.” He consoled.

Turf War took a deep breath, and creased a smiled. “Thanks, Fire Fight.” He said.

A thought then happened to cross Fire Fight’s mind. “You know, I was pretty surprised when Shadow Shroud told you who she was. She told me that she ought to kill me for knowing if it wasn’t for me running away.” He said.

Turf War widened his eyes. “Fo’ real?” he asked nervously.

Shadow Shroud snuck behind him. “Indeed.” she whispered, causing Turf War jump around to look at her. “Perhaps I was so sure you’d be our first rescue that I got a little liberal with the introductions. I really should practice more prudent discretion….for…obvious safety reasons.” She sneered.

Turf War quivered in fright as she returned to setting up a grass knit bed for him. He leaned in to whisper to Fire Fight. “Yo, she scarin’ da f*** outta me!” he said.

Fire Fight rolled his eyes. “Somehow, I’m starting to think that this is her idea of friendly humor.” He muttered, and returned to setting his and Shadow Shroud’s bedrolls.

Once they finished, they washed up in the river thoroughly. The water was running, so they could safely drink from it so as not to waste the water they were carrying already. It was crisp, pure, clear, and ran strong along its set path. After that was done, Fire Fight lit a small campfire, and they gathered around it.

“A confession.” Shadow Shroud said. The colts looked at her. “I know you asserted not stealing before tonight’s…event, however I took upon myself to nab some bits that the thugs had in their pockets to line our own. Seeing as it was likely stolen anyway, I decided ‘What’s the harm?’, and claimed our loot.” She expressed.

Fire Fight gave an annoyed expression. “*sigh* I guess… just as long as it’s actually used for resources.” He asserted.

Shadow Shroud nodded. “Of course.”

“There’s a li’l convenience store just down the street from the warehouses. If y’all wanna head there in the mornin’ to load up, that’d be straight.” Turf War suggested.

“Then so I will. You two lay low here until I return. I know how to stay hidden, so rest assured, I will…safely.” She said.

“That’s wassup, Shadow Shroud. Good deal.” Turf War said. “A’ight. Night, y’all.”

“Goodnight.”

“Sweet dreams…”

As Fire Fight lay there wrapped in the luminous ribbons woven by Luna’s moon, he reveled in his first success. Not only had he made his first rescue in Turf War, but gained an ally…no…a friend to aid him alongside Shadow Shroud in his quest. He was beginning to see his own ribbons start to weave, and he wouldn’t stop until they were complete.

PreviousChapters Next