• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 5,507 Views, 2,293 Comments

Tales of the Battle Foals - Sirdubya



Equestria hates fighting, so what happens when a foal is born with a special talent for it? For Fire Fight, a grand adventure across the lands will ensue. One that will open everypony's eyes, and show him the true meaning of who he is.

  • ...
18
 2,293
 5,507

PreviousChapters Next
Locking Horns

Author's Note:

Hey, guys!
If I'm not mistaken, tomorrow is the big day, the Season 7 premiere! As such, there's one little thing I'd like to clear up is case you're wondering. I've told some of you this already, but I have this story planned out from beginning to end, so I'm going to continue to write it as though Season 7 has yet to happen.

Now that that's out of the way, here's another addition the Battle Foals epic adven-
"THE FIBBISH ARE COMING!!! THE FIBBISH ARE COMING!!! THE FIBBISH ARE COMING!!! THE FIBBISH ARE COMING!!! THE FI-" <smack>

<sigh> Thank you, Shadow Shroud.

"My pleasure......no, really."

Back in Ponyville

Roughly a day after she sent the letter regarding Bullseye to the Royal Sisters, Twilight decided to pay Ms. Fight a little visit just to check up on her. She had kept her head held high throughout the whole ordeal ever since the search began, but Twilight worried that she may be pushing herself too hard. “Thanks for having me over, Ms. Fight. I hope it’s not too much trouble.”

Ms. Fight was in the kitchen cooking mushrooms omelettes for either of them. “Not at all, Twilight. It’s nice to have some company for once.” She said.

Twilight could detect a hint distress in her tone, but she decided not to push the issue right away. “The princesses and I decided to meet here and travel to Trifectown from there with everypony else. Are you still gonna come too?”

Ms. Fight plated the omelettes and served them. “Of course. Any lead I can get on my son is a good one. Besides, some of the parents we’ve met so far haven’t been….very likable. If Bullseye had any issues with hers, I’d like to talk to them too.” She said.

Twilight internally cringed at just how right she was, but wanted to wait and reveal her find in front of everypony when the time was right. She took a bite of her omelette and could taste the sheer amount of love that only a mother could pour into any dish. There was just the right amount of cheese blended together with meticulously cooked mushrooms. Twilight normally wasn’t a fan of mushrooms, but Ms. Fight’s omelettes were a special exception. “Mmm! This is delicious!”

“You like it? Good!” Ms. Fight said. She then stopped eating and gazed solemnly at her omelette. A silent but heavy sigh left her sorrowful expression. “These are his favorite….”

Twilight stopped eating upon hearing that and looked up at her. A small tear rolled down the mother’s face and dripped down onto her omelette. Twilight wasted no time walking over there and giving her a much needed hug. As soon as she did, Ms. Fight began to sob a little more heavily. “There, there. We’ll find him. I promised, didn’t I?” Twilight whispered.

Ms. Fight took a few deep breaths and wiped her eyes to calm herself down. “Thank you….” She whispered. “I wonder if…..he’ll come back on his own.”

Twilight wasn’t sure how to respond to that. The notion of him being in league with a Shadewalker was looking all too possible, and if it were indeed the case, even mentioning it could be incredibly dangerous, not to mention that it’d give the poor mare the mother of all heart attacks; she herself was already a little shaken that the strange black diamond she got probably came from a Shadewalker that snuck into her room at night while she slept. Fire Fight would probably also have the good sense to discreetly avoid large amounts of attention from other ponies simply to protect them. “M-Maybe….All we can really do is keep searching and hope for results.” She said.

Ms. Fight sighed. “Yeah…..hope…..”

Twilight sat back and finished her omelette before looking at the clock. “Hmm…I should probably go and get ready. The princesses might already be at my castle.” She got up. “We’ll let you know when we’re ready, ok? Thanks for the omelette!”

Ms. Fight managed to crease a smile. “Sure thing, dear! Take care!” With that, Twilight let herself out and made her way back to her castle.

As Twilight’s presence left the house, Ms. Fight could begin to take a more acutely smell the aroma of the mushroom omelette. That very same aroma had brought so many smiles in only a few happy years. She smiled when she cooked them, Fire Fight smiled when he smelled them, and he smiled even wider when he tore through them like a dog eating its favorite treat. She couldn’t be happier whenever he did. Just when she turned around to go finish her own omelette, she caught sight of a photo propped up on the mantle. She walked up to it and levitated it towards her. Depicted in the small frame was herself, Fire Fight when he was eight years old, and a very fit-looking unicorn stallion letting the young colt climb onto his back. Every single word painted into this picture read ‘happy’, but simply looking at this photo tore at her heartstrings like a manticore mauling its prey. She sighed heavily. “Why?....”

Suddenly, she heard somepony knocking at her door, snapping her out of her train of thought. “Coming!” She put the picture back on the mantle and went to answer the door. When she opened the door, somepony she was shocked to see was at her doorstep- a physically fit unicorn stallion who had a very guilty expression about his face. “F….Fist!?”

The stallion tried to crease a smile, but his face was weighed down by his own emotions. “H-Hey, Cat….H-How are ya?” he said nervously.

She couldn’t believe that her former husband, Fire Fight’s father was at her door. Simply remembering back to when he so heartlessly abandoned them after Fire Fight had discovered his talent made her blood boil at the very sight of him. “Wh-What the hell are you doing here!? How did you even find me!?” she demanded.

Fist winced back a little bit. He wasn’t about to make excuses for himself nor his past actions, but nevertheless, he had to talk to his former love. “I….I saw the recent newspapers….I-Is it true? Where’s Fire Fight?”

“I’m shocked you care!” Cat hissed. “I thought you didn’t want anything to do with that ‘delinquent’! Now tell me how you found me, or I’ll call the guards!”

“Ok, ok! Look, the papers said that his mom was living in Ponyville, so…so I just came here and started asking around. Sorry…” Fist replied.

“‘Sorry’?” Cat muttered. “Sorry for what!? Sorry for leaving us when we needed you!? Sorry for finding me now of all times!? HUH!?”

Fist shushed her. “You want everypony to start looking at you?”

Cat eased up a little upon hearing and looked around. A few curious onlookers seemed to have their attention on them, so she looked him in the eye and sighed with deep frustration. “Get in here.” She growled.

Fist gulped before doing as instructed and entering her house. Cat slammed the door when as soon as he made his way in. “N-Nice place.” He muttered.

“Yeah, it is, and it’d be a much nicer place if you weren’t stinking it up, so spit out whatever is you wanna say so you can hit the road!” Cat shouted.

Fist sighed. He thought back to that day, the day he resigned his position as Fire Fight’s father. “Cat, look…..If we wanna blame somepony for everything…..I won’t deny that I deserve it….Before that incident with the unhappy customer, you two were the light of every day I lived, and I just threw you away like a damn coward….”

“YOU’RE DAMN RIGHT YOU DID! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HORRIBLE EVERYTHING HAS BEEN FOR ME AND HIM AFTER YOU LEFT!?!? HOW MUCH HE AND I HAVE BEEN HECKLED BY HIS TEACHERS AND OUR NEIGHBORS!?!? WE HAD TO MOVE, FIST!! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO RUN AWAY WHEN WE NEEDED YOU MOST!?” Cat shouted. She was starting to cry.

“I know…..and….I’m sorry, Cat……I wasn’t the stallion I should’ve been. I won’t make any excuses.” Fist said.

“Is that all you’re here for!? To remind me of the awful things you put me and Fire Fight through now that he’s gone and MIGHT NEVER COME BACK!?!?” Cat exclaimed.

“No! And don’t say things like that! He will come back! We’ll find him and make everything right again!” Fist declared.

“Oh, that’s RICH coming from you! Every bad thing that’s happened started when you took your flank and scurried off to Celestia-knows-where with your tail between your legs!!” Cat exclaimed.

“No, Cat! It didn’t! You wanna know why?”

“WHY!?”

Fist huffed, trying to hold back his own tears. “After that incident with the unhappy customer, ponies started spreading rumors about me and the gym I worked at. About how I was abusing my son and that’s how he got so violent, or we were secretly part of the mafia, or that I was raising him to be a bully! I couldn’t believe how ridiculous it all became!” he explained.

Cat was caught off guard. She didn’t know anything about such rumors. “Wh-What!? Fist, why didn’t you tell me!?” she was still upset.

“I didn’t want Fire Fight to know, ok!?” Fist had to take a deep breath. “I didn’t want him to hear us talking about it and…..and think everything was his fault. I-I couldn’t stand the thought of him blaming himself for something that was beyond his control. You know he probably would.”

Cat couldn’t deny that Fire Fight had a tendency to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. It was probably part of what drove him to run away in the first place. Regardless, she was still upset with Fist. “Maybe, but…..you didn’t think that we could tell him it wasn’t? You’re his father, and I’m his mother! It’s our job to talk him through stuff like that, Fist! I endured so much by myself because you kept quiet! You wanna imagine what Fire Fight was going through!?”

Fist sighed once more. Cat was clearly too emotionally high to want to listen to much more, so he decided to cut to the chase. “Cat, I want to help find Fire Fight. I want to make everything up to him if he’s willing to forgive me. I was a coward when I should’ve stood up for you guys, and look what happened! Maybe you’re right……Maybe this is my fault.”

By some miracle, Cat seemed to calm down a little. She knew her husband, and one look in his eyes showed her only pure sincerity. Suddenly, she was brought back to so many happy memories. The day they met on the first day of their junior year, their prom, their wedding, and more importantly, Fire Fight’s birth. The kind of sincerity she felt from him in all of those memories was the very same she saw in his eyes as he stood now. There were indeed times when they made their mistakes and reconciled; it wouldn’t be a marriage if that weren’t the case, but this was truly going to be a trial for the troubled couple. “Fist…”

“Hate me all you want, Cat. I know I deserve it, but…..when I saw those headlines, I was reminded of how much I cherished every waking moment with you two, and……I just want that all back….Don’t you?”

Cat gazed into his eyes while hers welled up with tears. She wasn’t sure if she was frustrated at him, or happy to have the stallion she loved back. Either way, she just let herself go and throw her arms around him, and he reciprocated. The unicorn couple embraced each other firmly as they sobbed their past away. Cat no longer cared that her husband had betrayed her prior. She just wanted her family back, and finding Fire Fight was the final step.

They broke off as they wiped away the last of their tears. “Fist…..I’m sorry too.” Cat said.

“Huh? What for?” Fist asked.

“I….was afraid too. I ran away as much as you did when I took Fire Fight out of Manehatten. I should’ve been braver for him.” Cat said.

“Well…..me leaving didn’t do much to help, and you had a lot of odds against you. I’d say you did the best you could.” Fist said. Cat smiled and pressed her lips to her husband’s. It had been so long since she shared such a tender moment with, and they relished every second of it before breaking off. “Hey….did he make friends here?”

Cat nodded. “Yep. Most of ‘em are fillies. <giggle> Guess he’s really got your charm.”

“And your fighting spirit.” Fist said. “Say….We never did file divorce papers, did we?”

“I didn’t. Did you?”

“Nope. I guess I knew deep down that this day would come. One less thing to worry about, huh?” Fist then detected a familiar and very welcome aroma in the air. “Do I smell mushroom omelettes?” He happily asked. He had the look of a dog wagging its tail when it knew it was about to be fed.

Cat giggled. “You sure do! I’ll make you one before I have to go.”

“Huh? Go where?” Fist asked.

“Have yourself a seat, and I’ll explain. You might want to get involved too….honey.”

PreviousChapters Next