• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 5,507 Views, 2,293 Comments

Tales of the Battle Foals - Sirdubya



Equestria hates fighting, so what happens when a foal is born with a special talent for it? For Fire Fight, a grand adventure across the lands will ensue. One that will open everypony's eyes, and show him the true meaning of who he is.

  • ...
18
 2,293
 5,507

PreviousChapters Next
The Future

“Yo, dog!”

Fire Fight could feel someone shaking him as he laid asleep in his grass-sewn sleeping bag. He suddenly became conscious of the sun’s warm rays shining onto his lazed body and groggily woke up. “Huh?”

“You good?” Turf War was standing over him and fully awake. “Everypony already up and hustlin’, my dude.”

“Huh? Really?” Fire Fight sat up and looked around. Sure enough, everyone else was already up and stretching, likely awaiting breakfast. “Jeez! Looks like I slept in a little. Sorry, you gotta be hungry.”

“Tops.” Turf War said. “Think we should do something while we waitin’?”

“Not on an empty stomach.” Fire Fight said as he started a fire and threw some ingredients together. “Unless stuff’s already being done.”

“Zebota n’ Greensprout be getting’ that farmland poppin’ off like they said. They had to cop some seeds from a few o’ the fruits n’ greens we had, but it’s all good.” Turf War explained.

“Good!” Fire Fight said. As he simmered his stew, he noticed that Quantum Tech had Frostbite’s mouth propped open while magically holding some kind of instrument resembling a thermometer with a small fan inside of it. The icy drake looked pretty annoyed at having to be the guinea pig of whatever experiment she was conducting. “What’s going on with those two?”

“Quantum figured that since we finally got some downtime, she can finally figure out why homie’s hot breath ain’t so hot, if ya know how I mean.” Turf War answered.

“I’m shocked she even convinced him into it.” Fire Fight said.

“A small bribe of gems is the fastest way to a dragon’s heart.”

“Whoa!” Fire Fight turned to see Shadow Shroud right next to him and nearly dropped his stirring spoon. He quickly corrected himself. “Umm… doesn’t he already have a stash of his own?”

“Apparently, one or a few of the former guards had a hidden collection of their own that Quantum happened upon. Frostbite was… more than eager to learn of its location.” Shroud explained.

“Oh…” Fire Fight said. “What else have I missed?”

“Nothing much. Air Slash is thinking of repurposing the courtyard into a training ground, but has only started planning.” Shroud said. “And when she’s done with our friendly neighborhood snow dragon, Quantum wants to build… oh, how did she put it? A machine capable of desalinating the surrounding seawater.”

“That should really be her first priority.” Fire Fight said.

“My boy, I been tried to tell her that, but y’all know how she do when she got science on her mind.” Turf War said. “But that’s besides that point. We all gonna have to pitch in n’ help her make that; I want me some fresh-a** water if I’ma cop this spot with y’all.”

“Beat me to the punch.” Fire Fight said.

Shroud giggled. “That’s saying something.” she teased.

“Yeah… You guys got a head start on me.” Fire Fight said.

“Trouble sleeping?” Shroud asked.

“A little bit.” Fire Fight said. “Maybe I’m just anxious.”

“We all anxious, homie.” Turf War said.

“Trying being the one running this ragtag group of renegades.” Fire Fight said. “Man, having the three of us together like this sure takes me back…”

“Fo’ real though…” Turf War said. “Kinda feelin’ like yesterday I was bashin’ b****es in a junkyard ‘til I somehow ended up turnin’ into a damn wanderin’ warrior r’ somethin’.”

Shroud giggled. “Indeed; Detrot, I feel, is where our adventure truly began.”

The three of them shared a laugh, but Turf War’s momentary happiness suddenly drowned. “Makin’ me wonder how everypony is over there.”

“Yeah… I sure hope that Officer Curfew was caught.” Fire Fight said.

“We did cause quite a commotion in that warehouse. It surely didn’t go unnoticed.” Shroud said.

“That don’t mean that m*********** ain’t lied his way outta trouble somehow.” Turf War said.

“C’mon, Turf War; have some faith. I’m sure everything’s fine.” Fire Fight said.

Turf War shrugged. “Yeah, maybe I’m trippin’. I already followed you this much anyway, ain’t I?”

“Yep.” Fire Fight said. “And…. Viola! Guys! Breakfast!”

Everyone stopped what they were doing and gathered around, eager for food; Quantum managed to finalize her experiment, much to Frostbite’s relief.

“Mm-mm! Ya never fail to whip up some tasty grub, sheriff.” Kickback said.

“Thanks, dude.” Fire Fight said. “Is it too early to ask about results, Quantum Tech?”

“Oh, yes. I have samples of Frostbite’s breath processing as we speak; plus, I have some data to analyze.” Quantum answered. She then noticed that the icy drake was still pretty sullen. “Oh, don’t give me that look. You got your gems.”

“Blah, blah, blah. You give me a better reason to do that next time.” Frostbite said as he crushed a gem and sprinkled it into his stew.

Fire Fight decided to not press the issue any further. “So… Zebota, how’s that garden coming along? Think it’ll yield a good harvest?”

The young mystic gracefully swallowed a spoonful of his stew. “Yes. The spirits of this island are forever grateful to us for freeing their home from Nidhogg’s evil. They have promised us fertile soils and bountiful harvests.”

“It’ll still be our responsibility to care for it, however.” Greensprout said.

“You saw these spirits too?” Fire Fight asked.

Greensprout giggled. “No. I just choose to trust that Zebota knows what he’s talking about.”

“I can tell you that he is.” Tidal Wave said. His mystical water gem shined a little as he smiled.

“Speaking of water, Quantum’s been thinking of making a de-saltifier, or whatever, haven’t you?” Fire Fight asked the brainy filly.

“I have.” she answered.

“I think that absolutely should be our number one priority. We’ve got enough water to last us maybe a couple of weeks if we’re conservative.” Fire Fight said.

“You can’t just abracadabra it all fresh?” Bullseye asked.

“I could, but that’d take a ludicrous amount of time and effort; having an apparatus that does so automatically will be immensely convenient.” Quantum said. “The magic itself isn’t difficult, and the machine itself shouldn’t be terribly taxing to construct.”

“Then it should be only right that we all assist. Anything vital to our survival should come first.” Air Slash said.

“Do we even have the right materials? I bet we’ll have to recycle some stuff in the prison.” Spiral Galaxy asked.

“I saw a couple small shipwrecks when I went out for seaweed last night. Should I salvage anything from them?” Tidal Wave asked.

“OOH! Absolutely!” Quantum squealed. “I’d simply LOVE to read any intact diaries and maps that aren’t waterlogged. Oh, and you’ll have to bring me some artifacts that would allow me to study how they operated on the high seas-”

“Water filter, numbskull!” Bullseye said.

Quantum composed herself. “<Ahem> Pardon me… No, Tidal Wave. We’d likely have to clean them off a great deal considering how much time they’ve had to accumulate barnacles and the like.”

“We’ll have to sanitize any raw materials anyway. I don’t plan on living on this island with constant exposure to tetanus.” Shroud said.

“Hey! Infections are people too, you know!” Crazylocks blurted.

“I-I know that, Crazylocks. They… just aren’t welcome here.” Shroud said.

Crazylocks strongly inhaled as if she was about to shout, and Shroud immediately regretted her choice of words. “Ok.” she said, thankfully calmly.

“I happened upon a room containing a workshop fit for a blacksmith whilst exploring, a forge and everything.” Air Slash said. “I’ll need Fire Fight to stoke the pit, but prolonged exposure to intense heat whilst reshaping metal should thoroughly sanitize it.”

“Say no more.” Fire Fight said.

“Let’s put it down in that underwater cavern we found on Ymir’s map once we’re done. It’ll be safe from the weather that way.” Spiral said.

“Well, we’re gonna have to dig to it first.” Kickback. “If Ah had me a dowsin’ rod, Ah could probably find it for y’all.”

“Those don’t actually work, dude.” Bullseye said.

“Really? Always worked like a charm back in Dodge City when mah Pa n’ I had to look for a new well.” Kickback said.

“Dude… I think we both know what it’s like being crackshots.” Bullseye said. In one swift motion, she drew her bow, nocked an arrowed, and then fired it behind her where it threaded through some metal bars and struck a wooden post dead center. “Or just plain lucky, take your pick.”

“Don’t worry, darling. I have an instrument or two that would help us detect groundwater, but I’ll let your expertise take the lead.” Quantum said.

Kickback tipped his hat at her. “Much obliged, Ms. Quantum.”

“Of course, Kickback!” Quantum said, fluttering her eyelids.

Kickback just sighed while Bullseye snickered at him. “Ya know… Ah kinda wonder how everypony’s doin’ back home.”

“Who gives a damn? We left ‘em all behind, didn’t we?” Bullseye said.

“Reckon so, but how’s the rest of Equestria gonna think of us? Just ‘cause we left ‘em behind doesn’t mean we don’t care about ‘em none.” Kickback said.

“Yeah… I have to admit: I’ve kinda been thinking about my parents lately. They might still be getting harassed because of the trouble I’d caused.” Spiral said.

“If only they could see how far you’ve come.” Air Slash said.

“Yeah…” Spiral said. “Maybe… if they understood, we could let them live here with us? Not all of our parents were that bad anyway.”

“Whoa! What!?” Tidal Wave blurted.

“Ok, ok! Maybe that’s wishful thinking.” Spiral said. “But… Kickback’s right. Even if we ran away from Equestria, that doesn’t mean we hate it, right?”

“Darling, that really is wishful thinking. Our parents would just put such a damper on the existence that we’ve chosen.” Quantum said.

“Yeah. I thought the whole point of your ‘quest’ was to find somewhere better to live.” Frostbite said. “Look, no offense, but you ponies always try way too hard to be ‘structured’ and ‘civilized’ or whatever. I know us dragons are kind of a dysfunctional family, but at least we can do pretty much whatever we want with like, no consequence.”

“That’s… an interesting to put it.” Fire Fight said. “But I don’t think anypony’s gonna be too mad at us. I mean, we kinda saved Equestria, maybe the world a couple times up until this point.”

“They likely just are unaware of it all yet.” Air Slash said.

“I feel y’all, but now that we about to finally settle down, I… kinda wanna at least tell my folks that I’m sorry.” Turf War said. “I done bounced without sayin’ a word.”

“Let ‘em all know we’re doin’ alright at the very least. Can’t really say Ah’m mad at mah Pa.” Kickback said.

“I suppose I should write to the Abbey every now and again as well. They must be worried about me.” Greensprout said.

“Do whatever you guys want. I’m gonna enjoy being free from all the crap back in Trifectown.” Bullseye said. “You guys have really become my family… even if that sounds sappy as hell.”

Crazylocks suddenly wrapped her hooves around the archer in a Crazylocks hug. “SAPPY SISTERS SEW SILKY SALAMANDER STRINGS OF SILLINESS TOGETHER!”

Bullseye managed to lighten her friend’s tight squeeze by sheer aggression, but she couldn’t help but to smile. As embarrassed as she was to it, she hugged back. “That kinda made sense.”

“<sob> I have pleased the sanity gods on high!” Crazylocks said.

As Fire Fight listened to his friends, the taste of his stew reminded him of when his mother had first started teaching him how to cook. He was then reminded of the portal incident at the Great Horn Temple; all he was concerned about then was escaping with his friends, but he remembered the anguish he heard in his mother’s voice. Not only that, but his father was inexplicably there, waiting to reunite with the son he’d left behind; he had quite a few questions for him, but he couldn’t be concerned about that right now. Right now, he had to think about finalizing his goal. The last phases were at last falling into place.

“Whatever happens happens, guys.” Fire Fight said. “I don’t want to completely forget everything either, but we have a future to look forward to. If the king of another country can be proud of us, who’s to say that our own families, even Equestria as a whole won’t be?”

“Assuming we care a great deal about our families…” Quantum muttered.

“The griffons live in a different world from the ponyfolk, Fire Fight, a world where we are more readily accepted.” Zebota said. “Two worlds can either clash or coexist depending on many circumstances. That is not to say that such a thing is impossible.” Shrapnel licked the back of his master’s neck.

“Right. All I’m saying is that we should think about the future and not worry so much about the past. We all still want to be here, right?” Fire Fight asked.

“Of course!” Spiral said. “Sorry I made things awkward.”

“You did no harm sister. This conversation was likely to happen soon anyway, and for the better.” Greensprout said as she and everyone else took the last bite of their breakfast.

“Well Quantum, tell us what we need to do so we can have fresh water.” Fire Fight said.

“Absolutely, Fire Fight!” Quantum said.

???

And what a future it will be…..

Battle Foals!….

PreviousChapters Next