• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 5,486 Views, 2,291 Comments

Tales of the Battle Foals - Sirdubya



Equestria hates fighting, so what happens when a foal is born with a special talent for it? For Fire Fight, a grand adventure across the lands will ensue. One that will open everypony's eyes, and show him the true meaning of who he is.

  • ...
18
 2,291
 5,486

PreviousChapters Next
Breaking The Ice

The other Battle Foals came out running as soon as they heard the commotion outside. What they didn’t expect was the icy spectacle before them. “What’s going on!?” Shadow Shroud exclaimed.

“I was kinda hoping you’d know!” Fire Fight answered. He was struggling to keep his gauntlets ignited under the frigid, cold air.

Quantum Tech began scanning the anomaly with her glasses, and she did not like what she was seeing. “Could…..C-Could it possibly be……” The ethereal mist began congregating into a discernable shape, and it was the shape that Quantum feared it to be- a pony. It was a pony of a more….majestic appearance than what Equestria was used to seeing of its denizens, but in the form of a transparent spirit standing on a cloud of freezing mist. Everything around it seemed to freeze more quickly as its form became more stable. It let out a neigh that was accompanied by an otherworldly howl. “WINDIGO!” Quantum immediately ran to her mech suit.

“But I thought they only appeared when there were strong feelings of hate or disharmony!” Spiral Galaxy said. It was then that she had a revelation. “Bullseye!” she looked at the angry archer who had her bow drawn with a nasty smile on her face.

“Hehehehe! At least I’ve got something to slaughter now!” Bullseye exclaimed. Her mane blew in the chilling wind, revealing her swollen eye. She fired her arrow, but much to the foals’ surprise, the windigo quickly erected a barrier of ice in front of itself. Bullseye’s arrow cracked the ice considerably, but the ice wall broke and sent it right back to her. Bullseye caught the arrow and snarled at the icy wraith. “Gonna put up a fight, huh!? Good! It’s a lot more fun if you’re struggling!” She hissed.

The windigo took the floating shards of its ice shield and enlarged them into large icicles that it aimed at the foals. “DRAW!” Kickback whipped his guns quicker than he spoke and managed to shoot out about half of the icicles before the windigo fired the rest like missiles.

“DEPLOYING SHIELD!” Quantum Tech tried to project a force field that would block the rest of the icicle spears, but for some reason, nothing seemed to be responding. “Huh!?”

“INCOMING!!” Fire Fight shouted. They all had to dive out of the way of the icy onslaught lest they be skewered into a frozen hell. “Quantum, what happened!?”

Quantum Tech panicked as she realized what was wrong. “Th-Th-The air! It’s become far too cold! All of my systems are starting to freeze!” she exclaimed. “I have to abandon ship!” She activated an emergency mechanism that opened the mech’s windshield, allowing her to escape. She lamented having to let her precious creation succumb to the elements.

“Hmph! Two can play at that game!” Spiral declared. Gathering her focus, she managed to generate a cosmic field around her that formed a cluster of meteors. “Today’s forecast calls for a chance of TOTAL ANNIHILATION!” She launched the meteors in rapid succession at the windigo, but the frigid phantom dispersed itself into a cloud of mist, allowing the meteors to pass right through it. The intense heat from the flaming rocks made it difficult for the wraith to reconstitute, but it was otherwise unharmed. “Well…..I did say ‘chance’…” Spiral muttered. “Nrgh!” Using her powers under the stars quickly started taking its toll, and Spiral Galaxy had to fall back.

“Keep the heat on it, everypony! I’ll continue to scan it for weak point!” Quantum shouted.

Fire Fight’s horn flared up like a dragon breathing fire. “Not a problem!” He used his magic to intensify the flames on the crashed meteors around the mist, but the sublimated windigo simply moved its way behind him and reformed itself. “HUH!?” Even more surprising was that it formed a solid claw of ice around its hoof and quickly took a swipe at him, roaring as it did. Fire Fight managed to parry it away, but even through his ignited gauntlet, he could feel the phantom’s cold touch chill down to his bones. It seemed to shriek in pain having been struck by intense heat.

Air Slash lunged at it with his swords, but it dispersed into mist once again. “Rgh! Fight me, coward!” The cold air made it difficult for him to stay aloft, so he had to land. He seemed to get his wish when the cloud of mist once again reconstituted into the windigo, but this time, it reinforced its entire form in a suit of icy armor. Its appearance turned from eerily majestic to monstrous and grotesque, and its haunting roar matched it perfectly.

Zebota, seeing the situation become dire, raised his boomerang and clutched his brooch. “Machukizo! Sikia sauti yangu! Kuwa wametengwa na ulimwengu huu, na kurudi kuzimu ambayo ungekuwa imetoa!” His message seemed to reach the phantasmal fiend, but it only glared and growled at him in response. “So you will not leave? So be it! SHRAPNEL, ATTACK!” Shrapnel wasted no time heeding his master’s command and lashed out at the windigo at full throttle. He swung his huge claw at the frozen phantom, but its armor held up much better than expected even from a blow from the wooden titan.

“YO, B****!” Turf War took the opportunity to shield-ram it in the side. Just as the windigo turned it head to face him, Turf War smacked its head with his seismic hammer, shattering the ice encasing it. Just before Turf War could even crease a devious smile, the windigo used the momentum of being smacked sideways to spin-kick him faster than he could react. “OOF!” Turf War went flying into a tree and sustained some nasty bruises.

“Turf War!” Greensprout acted quickly and began channeling her healing beam onto him, but the emerald adoring the Gaia Root began freezing over. “<Gasp!>” The healing beam dwindled down within seconds as the emerald was encased in ice, and Greensprout was starting to panic. “O-Oh no!” The windigo appeared in front of her with its gnashing teeth lunging towards her.

“GREENSPROUT!!” Air Slash immediately launched a sword beam at the windigo’s head, slicing its armor off and distracting it from Greensprout. With all of his strength, he locked eyes with the wraith and threw himself at it, readying his swords to strike. This time, the windigo fought back. The two exchanged a few blows before Crazylocks suddenly pounced on it.

“GIDDYUP, HORSIE!!” She began wailing her reinforced hair onto the icy wraith’s body armor, cackling with maniacal glee as she did. Shadow Shroud joined in on the fun as she began striking it with her kamas. Kickback shot at its armor where it was starting to crack, knocking large chunk to expose its ethereal body. Bullseye took aim with two arrows and fired them simultaneously into its front knees. Shrapnel wailed on it as Zebota readied an incantation that he hoped would banish it. Fire Fight concentrated on thawing out Greensprout’s staff. Spiral Galaxy managed to regain her focus a little and went to check on Turf War, who was struggling to his hooves.

“Keep the pressure on! I’m still scanning!” Quantum shouted.

“Well, scan faster! This f***** won’t listen to reason!” Bullseye shouted as she took aim at its head. She fired her arrow right into its open mouth as it roared from struggling against the foals. For a moment, it seemed as if the solidified wraith actually choked on the arrow, but reacted as though it was having a heart attack. It quickly regurgitated the arrow right back at Bullseye, and she caught it. “Huh…”

Seeing the odd reaction, Quantum Tech focused her glasses on its mouth. When she got a reading, she gasped. “Everypony! Listen carefully! It-”

“<ROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!!!>”

The windigo unleashed a blast of icy wind from around its body that blew the foals away. Shrapnel managed to endure the shockwave, but the localized winter caused his wooden limbs to locks into place, rendering him almost immobile. Everypony was chilled to the point of being frozen alive and could barely stand……except for Bullseye.

Brimming with unhinged anger, the violent archer shook off her frosting shackles and drew an arrow to her bow. “SAWED-OFF M***********!!! I’M GONNA GOUGE YOUR G****** EYES OUT WITH YOUR OWN TEETH!!!” She fired her arrow, but the windigo managed to freeze it right out of the air before it could even touch it. “Gnnrrggh! Not gonna make this easy, huh?”

Quantum Tech struggled against the frigid cold and called out to Bullseye. Her chilling body impeded her speech. “B-B-B-Bullse-e-e-eye…..” Her words stammered over her shivering body. “I-I-It has a c-c-c-core…..wh-when it’s s-s-solid! Y-Y-You nearly hit it earlier!”

Bullseye’s exposed eye lit up upon hearing that. “Where!?”

“I-I-In its th-th-throat!” Quantum stammered.

Bullseye locked eyes with the angered apparition as it encased itself in a more intimidating icy armor. It’s demonic growls shook the freezing air it emitted; even the night sky itself seemed to tremble, but Bullseye just drew an arrow like it was nothing and kissed its head before readying it onto her bow. “It’ll be a cold day in hell…….once I send you there!” she declared.

As if to retaliate her threat, the armored windigo howled to the moon before lunging at her with its gnashing fangs. Time seemed to slow down as Bullseye’s archer senses kicked in. Her one good eye was all she needed to peer down its throat and catch a small glimpse of a an ethereal orb-like light construct that seemed to flow from all directions throughout the windigo’s body. As quickly as she aimed her bow to fire, a sadistic smile creased the filly’s face. A gust of wind suddenly blew over and flipped her mane up, revealing her swollen eye. She let go as soon as she got her chance. “Bye…” she whispered.

The arrow flew down the wraith’s throat, and it fell to the ground, writhing in agony. It screamed and howled as its entire form began to crack. Light poured out from the cracks as if it was bleeding. One last excruciating howl marked the end, and the windigo exploded into a cloud of mist that dissipated into the air, releasing its frigid grip on the area around. Bullseye walked over to where the windigo drew its last breath and found her arrow in the last fumes of mist as it vanished. She picked it up and put back into her quiver without remorse. “Don’t bite the hoof that feeds you.”


Fire Fight managed to fumble to his hooves quickly and used his magic to help heat everypony up, and Greensprout wasted no time regulating their vitals; she was careful not to heal Bullseye’s left eye. Quantum’s mech was thankfully still fully operable, but she had to start it to let everything heat up again. “Great job, Bullseye!” Fire Fight said. “But….how did you manage to brave the cold like that?”

“Tch. I’m surprised you didn’t, wimp.” Bullseye sneered.

Fire Fight rolled his eyes in annoyance. “I didn’t want to risk starting a forest fire.” He scoffed.

“That aside, I’m still impressed that you managed to ignore the freezing temperatures.” Shadow Shroud.

Bullseye seemed to lower her head a little as she just eyed them with that same distant, passive glare. “I’m always cold…” she muttered.

For a moment, the foals could see a small glint of sorrow in her normally hostile eye. It wasn’t easy to forget the abuse she endured, but it was easy to forget that despite the darkness it planted in her, she still had a soul. It was in that moment that Air Slash approached her. “I suppose you’re deserving of this now.” He pulled out a Battle Foals medallions and handed it to her.

Bullseye looked at for a moment before taking it. “Hell’s this?”

“It’s the symbol of the Battle Foals, Bullseye. For your valiance against the windigo, we now officially welcome you as one of our own.” Fire Fight said. He turned to the rest of the foals. “Any objections?” None were spoken, and the foals happily shook their heads. “Awesome.”

Bullseye creased a little smile before putting the medallion in her bag. “Even though I probably drew that son of a b**** here?”

“Actually, darling, I’m not so sure that it really was you that summoned that monster.” Quantum said.

“She speaks the truth.” Zebota said. “I have read about these creatures, and…..despite what little has been documented about them, this one felt somehow…..different…”

PreviousChapters Next