• Published 28th Oct 2016
  • 5,511 Views, 2,293 Comments

Tales of the Battle Foals - Sirdubya



Equestria hates fighting, so what happens when a foal is born with a special talent for it? For Fire Fight, a grand adventure across the lands will ensue. One that will open everypony's eyes, and show him the true meaning of who he is.

  • ...
18
 2,293
 5,511

PreviousChapters Next
My Move

Deep within a dark section of the ancient arena was a cell specifically designed to hold large animals just like a real gladiator coliseum. Within its confines was a chained down Shrapnel whose restraints emitted electromagnetic pulses throughout his body. While wood would normally be largely unfazed, Shrapnel was a conscious entity, and was therefore being disrupted as anything would. The wooden titan’s cellmate was his disarmed master, who could only watch his beast suffer, but they both knew that they had to muster the strength to overcome their ordeal.

Even in his hindered position, Shrapnel was able to sense the presence of his master and the brooch that held their pact, and the two silently meditated, waiting for Fate to cue their next move.

Alarms suddenly began loudly ringing, and Zebota could feel a shift in the flow of fate that told him that the cue he and his beast were waiting for had arrived. He cracked a confident smile. “It is time, my friend.” He said. Shrapnel responded with a growl. With all of his mental and spiritual strength, Zebota focused on his brooch and evoked the pained, withering spirits that were barely surviving in this wretched environment.

“Kama mimi kukaa hapa katika nchi hii scarred ilitawaliwa na mabaya, huenda ni upepo ukiwa kubeba mwito huu katika ni imeachwa mchanga. Mei sauti yangu kusikilizwa na pepo bado kung'ang'ania maisha. Mei nguvu yangu kupita kwenu hivyo huenda kupanda dhidi ya ugonjwa taints kwamba udongo huu. roho yangu hai itakuwa wewe ni kuongoza nguzo kama uwiano hii kudaiwa tena. mngurumo wa mnyama wangu utakuwa wetu kilio vita, rally yetu ya silaha dhidi ya Skadi!”

With intensity that would make the sun look like a light bulb, Zebota’s brooch blasted its emerald essence in all directions, shaking the very earth beneath them as he felt the world around him be rekindled. Along with it all, Shrapnel’s strength returned to him, and he let out the most powerful roar Zebota had ever heard him bellow.

“<HOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWLLLLLL!!!!!!!!>”

The sheer power of his voice was enough to shatter the shackles binding him, and he crashed through his cage as though it were paper. As he stretched his body, he noticed his master on the ground exhausted from the feat he had to pull. He lightly nudged the little zebra, and Zebota looked up and smiled.

“I am fine, Shrapnel. Thank you.” He said. He managed to gather his stamina and stand back up. “No doubt our friends await us. We should hurry before these mechanical demons overwhelm us again.”

Shrapnel barked in response. “<I yearn to rend and tear their metal flesh!>”

Zebota flared his brooch. “Then let us waste no more time.”

Out in the Fortress City…

The escaped foals bobbed and weaved through hails of laser blasts as Fire Fight and Turf War led them through the active ruins to the stadium, remembering the way there from when they led there previously. All the while, Frostbite continued to devastate the squadrons of robot guards trying to apprehend them and clearing the way with his own hails of ice and frigid air. His natural draconic aggression was all he needed to fuel his rampage.

With her horn suppressor removed, Spiral Galaxy carefully helped when she could with the use of her cosmomancy. She used her powers in smaller magnitude such as gravity waves, small nova blasts and an orbital shield around her and her friends in case Frostbite let a straggler or two slip through his claws. If such was the case, Fire Fight simply burned them apart with fire blasts. He knew he’d probably risk breaking his hooves if he tried to punch them without his gauntlets, so he didn’t.

Air Slash managed to grab ahold of two stun batons that had been broken off of some fallen soldiers and substituted them for his swords. While he was unable cut his foes down, he was satisfied with being able to electrocute them and fry their circuits. One robot came close to smacking Greensprout with its baton, but Air Slash parried it away and gave it a taste of its own medicine.

Kickback managed to roll behind another one and jump onto its back, gaining control of where it pointed its laser and blasted some snipers he spotted like tins cans in a rodeo show. “YEEEE-HAAAWW!!!” When his shootout was complete he leapt off the robot and let Frostbite take care of the rest.

“Nice shooting, kid!” Frostbite said.

Kickback tipped his hat. “Much obliged, partner.”

With Fire Fight occupied with last resort defending, Turf War took it upon himself to lead the charge to the stadium. “Keep rollin’, y’all! Sooner we cop our weapons, the sooner we f*** s*** up!”

“Are you sure they’re even there!?” Tidal Wave asked.

“They gotta be!” Turf War answered. “OH, S***!!” He had to jump straight up to avoid a laser blast. His ghetto instincts kicked in, and he was able to quickly map a safe route as he went along through the assault, leading his teammates to the stadium with minimal issue.

When they reached the stadium, they had to stop when they realized that they had a little conundrum. “How’re we supposed to get in!?” Valkyrie said. As she examined the door, she noticed a melee drone charge towards her. Despite not being armed, she readied herself to combat the drone when a plethora of slashing sounds resounded within milliseconds, which resulted in the drone falling down in a few pieces.

A familiar shadow jumped in front of the remains and unveiled her face. “Mind if I have a look?” she said with a devious smile.

“SHADOW SHROUD!” Fire Fight ran up to her and embraced her. “You’re ok!”

Shroud hugged him back. “You’re a sight for sore eyes yourself!” They broke off, letting everypony else bid their quick greetings amidst the chaos.

“Where have you been? You just seemed to vanish!” Spiral asked.

“I manage to slip away from Skadi’s garden snake undetected, and we came after you guys as soon as we could.” Shroud said.

“Umm… ‘We’?” Air Slash asked.

Two other melee drones charged at them just then, but another, larger shadow landed in front of them and hooked one of them with the blade of his kusarigama, yanking it towards him before forcefully shoving it into the other, destroying them. He looked at the foals, but didn’t unveil himself or speak a word.

“This is my… colleague, as you can see. I won’t speak his name so as to protect his honor.” Shroud said.

The foals were a little shaken to meet another Shadewalker. Given how shaky things have proven to be with Shadow Shroud in the past, they weren’t exactly eager to break the ice with another of their clan, namely a stranger. Air Slash could feel the shrouded stallion’s glare upon him, and he couldn’t help but to return the gesture, but with less magnitude.

“W-Well, uhh…. N-Nice to meet you…?” Fire Fight stammered.

Dark Veil turn his gaze towards Fire Fight, and he could tell that he didn’t like him any more than Air Slash, likely knowing of his relation to Shadow Shroud. “I’ll cover you…” he whispered.

“Huh!?” Before Fire Fight could say anything else, Dark Veil leapt back into the fray and began fending off the guards.

“Don’t worry about him. He can handle himself. I, however, will have to handle this lock.” Shroud said. She drew her kunai to try and pick the big lock, but she was startled when the lock seemed to open on its own, opening the door along with. “Hmm?”

“No complaints here! Let’s f***ing go!” Bullseye declared.

They all started to go in apart from Kickback, who called out to Frostbite. “Ya comin’, partner!?”

Frostbite crashed through a small group of guards before replying. “Go on without me! I’ll keep ‘em busy from out here!”

Kickback tipped his hat. “Good luck!” he followed his comrades.

Once inside, Fire Fight and Turf War recognized the platform they had rode before, but they discovered a catwalk likely used by maintenance crews that led to the other side, so they decided to make haste across that since the platform might not move as quickly as they’d like. The only resistance they encountered was a flock of orb drones that were obviously meant for combat rather than spying, as they were equipped with the same kinds of lasers that the grunts were.

“Oh, please!” Spiral shouted. She blasted them all away with concentrated gravity waves.

“Sister, did you happen to find out where Crazylocks, Zebota, Shrapnel and Quantum Tech are?” Greensprout asked Shroud.

“Quantum’s being held in a control room somewhere in this building, but I don’t know about Crazylocks or our tree huggers.” Shroud said.

“Then maybe she’d know! We should find her if don’t already run into the others!” Fire Fight said.

When they reached the end of the catwalk and were met with the blast door, they frantically looked around for any sort of sign that may point to a weapon storage area, or wherever their armaments might be. However, the very same mechanical arms that dispensed their weapons before appeared again, this time carrying all of their arms and armor, which they reclaimed jubilantly.

Fire Fight hopped into his gauntlets and armor, and he flared his horn excitedly. “Back in business, baby!”

Turf War twirled his hammer-axe victoriously. “BAM!!”

Spiral happily slipped into her armor. “Can’t believe I’m actually happy to lug this around again!”

Air Slash twirled his swords before sheathing them, smiling with a humble sense of victory. “Skadi’s decline is at hoof.”

Kickback calmly smiled as he retrieved his whip and fabled guns. “Good to see you fellers again.”

Bullseye creased a wicked smile when she did so much as touch her bow. “Hehehehe!” She picked it up and slung on her quiver. “I’m coming, Crazylocks…”

Tidal Wave eagerly donned his armor and water gem and wielded his trident. He could feel the water essence flourish through him again, as if the spirits within welcomed him home. “Tidal Wave, ready for action!”

Valkyrie wasted no time whatsoever slipping into her armor, wielding her weapons, and taking a moment to gaze upon her family’s treasure, which seemed to gaze back at her with all the ferocity the spirits of deceased heroes could muster together. “I’ll never lose you again…” she whispered. The Valhalla shined its golden light as Valkyrie noticeably gathered her valor. “READY WHEN YOU ARE!”

Greensprout joyously reclaimed her abbey’s treasured Gaia Root. “Is anypony hurt?” she asked.
They all shook their heads. “I’d say we’re all in peak condition, Greensprout.” Air Slash said.

“Good, but before anything else…” Greensprout cast a vital pulse that gave them all a little extra boost.

“That’s what’s up!” Turf War said. “But on some real talk, why they just gave us back our stuff?”

The intercom suddenly came on, and a familiar voice sounded through the speakers. “A simple ‘thank you’ would be much appreciated.”

“Quantum Tech!” Greensprout said.

“What the hell!? You’re controlling this place?” Bullseye asked.

“Partially. Skadi has excused herself for the moment, which gave me the opportunity to hack into this fortress’s network. It’s quite complex, so I’ve only managed to scratch the surface, but it should suffice for the time being.” Quantum said.

“Where are the others?” Shroud asked.

“Zebota and Shrapnel are being held in a holding cell within this facility just opposite of your location, although I’m picking up an alarming energy spike from their location. They could be in danger.” Quantum said.

“What about Crazylocks!?” Bullseye asked.

“It’s not completely clear, howeve-” The intercom suddenly fell into static.

“Huh? Hey! What the f*** gives!?” Bullseye shouted.

In Skadi’s Control Room…

Quantum Tech lay on the floor with a bruise on her cheek and a shadow looming over her. When she looked up, her heart skipped a beat upon seeing eagle eyes glaring down at her.

“How foolish I was to think you would have any value…” Skadi growled.

Quantum could do naught but gulp and gaze back at her captor. She barely managed to muster the courage to stand. “And… A-And what would you do about me, hmm?”

Her question was answered when a wave of guards marched in and pointed their lasers at her. “How’s that for a prelude?”

Quantum was paralyzed with fear save for her eyes, which darted back and forth between the droids. “E-E-Exemplary. W-W-Well played.”

Skadi slowly creased a malicious smile. “This, darling, is what we’d might call ‘checkmate’. Don’t worry though. I promise to take care of your battle tank.” She hissed as her guards’ lasers began charging.

Quantum started hyperventilating as she could feel her life flash before her eyes. Her experiments, her adventures with her friends, the places they’d seen and the ponies they’d met… only inspired her to drop her frightened act and crease a devious smile of her own. She looked up at Skadi, confident as could be. “My move.”

She tapped a button on her glasses, and seconds later, the door behind Skadi was suddenly blown apart with hails of magic blasts raining on her guards. Through the smoke, her prized mech suit marched in guns blazing and shield erected.

“WHAT!?” Skadi screeched. She then noticed that Quantum Tech had ran towards her mech, and watched in horror as the little filly got into her cockpit.

Quantum fixed her glasses. “I really must thank you for the learning experience, Skadi, but I believe our time together has concluded. I suggest you surrender.”

Skadi gritted her teeth. “You insufferable little brat! I’ll-”

<BAM!!>

The front of the control room was suddenly destroyed by an unforeseen force. As the dust cleared, a pair of fierce green eyes came into view accompanied by ferocious growling. Sure enough, it was the Battle Foals’ wooden titan and his mystic master.

<HOOOOOOOWWWWWWWLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!>

Shrapnel’s roar beckoned the summoning of invasive vines that pushed through the metallic room and tangled a good chunk of the guards to the point of crushing them. Zebota himself threw his boomerang above the rest of the guards where it unleashed a powerful thunderstorm that finished them off. When the smoke cleared, they saw that Skadi had taken the opportunity to vanish.

Quantum quickly exited her mech and ran over to her friend. “Zebota!” She happily embraced him. “Are you both alright?”

“We are.” Zebota said. “And we stand ready to cleanse this disease. What of you?”

Quantum chuckled as she fixed her glasses. “I say it’s high time we end Skadi’s foul play.” She boarded her mech once more, and Shrapnel let out another powerful roar, both he and his master ready to rain destruction.

PreviousChapters Next