• Published 3rd Jul 2016
  • 6,419 Views, 145 Comments

The Mare Does Well. - Undyne Devotion



The dream of finding happiness, the trouble of knowing you've been living a lie.

  • ...
30
 145
 6,419

Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Author's Note:

I have one more Rewritten chapter on the way. I hope the pacing is better.

This is my first story so I tried my best. I hope you all enjoy.

"My Fwist orber as pwincess!- fwee cookies for all!" A tiny purple unicorn clapped her hooves happily, wearing a crudely put together crown atop her tangled mane.

"Wow that's so generous Princess Twily!" Shining Armor smiled to his little sister as she played with her dolls and dresses, his own mane fixed up in small curls and a few flowers placed throughout.

"Heehee! As for you my bestest fwiend. I want you to be my co-pwincess!" Twilight's small frame pounced atop her brother as they both giggled aloud happily.

" Pwincess Gweaming Shell!" The tiny unicorn gave her brother a tight hug, Shining just smiling and returning the gift of affection.

"I'd love to be your Co-Princess!"

"Sisters forever!?" Twilight gasped happily.

"Sisters forever!" Shining replied with a small hoof bump to the small unicorn.

------

Shining watched the children play from the corner of the room in silence, it had been years since he even allowed these thoughts to creep into his mind. He had many other things to worry about, from his beautiful daughter and to his strong willed wife.

Work as both consultant to his wife and as Head of The Royal Guard, wore him out, not just in body but down to the soul. Being able to see these memories once more, reminded him of better yet darker days.

"You look quite happy," a calm but stern voice echoed behind the stallion.

Shining swung around coming face to face with Princess Luna, her elegant shimmering mane swaying in place as pale blue eyes gazed deep into his soul.

"Princess! Um this isn't anything!!" Shining yelped aloud, his cheeks burning with embarrassment.

"No need to be ashamed Sir Armor, I am a guardian of dreams not a judge of them," she replied with a cool sense of tranquility.

"Why are you here? If I may ask," his voice cracked a bit, heart still racing wildly within his chest.

"I was called upon by a troubled mind, Your mind."

In a sudden flash of darkness, the mare flowed across the room in a delicate rhythm. Appearing beside the children with a smile across her lips.

"I sense a feeling of chaos, Two sides of the same bit, fighting for control." She spoke her eyes upon the playing ponies and not upon himself.

"Phst. No offense ma'am but that sounds like everypony in all of Equestria," shining spoke his voice sounding more powerful as he tried to regain control of the conversation.

"Perhaps. Yet this time I sense magic at work as well, magic not from here and now, but of days long forgotten."

Shining gazed down to the floor in silence, how was she able to read him so easily? If she were able to do this, would Cadance be able to see through him too?

"This magic isn't malicious. But do be careful, those who choose to hide away the past jeopardize their future." Her eyes glowed pure white, the stallion winced as he lifted a hoof across his eyes.

-------------------

Everything felt lighter and larger. As if the universe were exspanding, or perhaps he was shrinking? The white light slowly faded away around him, Twily was now gone from his room. Everything seemed slightly different, no longer did the room belong to a child, but to a growing colt.

Shining gazed down to his hooves, seeing they were now slender and petite. Eyes glanced across his body, seeing new curves around his backside and lack of definition around his legs. Bangs softly falling before his eyes, as he knew he were female once more.

"How do you do?" Shining's voice echoed around herself. Eyes looking to a small open closet, seeing a young colt swaying his backside gently as he walked out into his room.

He wore a light pink dress that was a bit oversized, as if the outfit were made for a older mare. His mane was swept to the side, in a slight wave, bouncing sweetly with each step he took.

"How do you do?" He spoke his voice starting to deepen, yet the colt just practiced rising the pitch, while walking in small circles around the room.

"I... remember this day," gleaming shield spoke her voice soft but saddened.

"The day your Mother found out," luna spoke up as she appeared at the mares side.

"Honey have you seen my..." A voice of a mare echoed loudly behind a large closed door.

Young Shining and Gleaming both looked in horror to the door, as it swung open. Their mother walking in with a smile that quickly faded to shock.

"Shining Armor! What? Why?"

"Mom! It's not what it looks like!"

"Yes it was." Gleaming sighed her ears folding back.

"That's my missing dress!" The mare spoke in a shaken tone, quickly darting in the room and slamming the door shut.

"I'm sorry..."

"Why did she have to look at me like that? So.... ashamed." Gleaming bit her lower lip softly, holding back tears from her eyes.

"How long has this been going on?" She spoke in a numb tone of voice, her eyes gazing into a hidden box inside the closet. Filled with a few dresses, make-up and ribbons.

"I'm sorry..." The colt lowered to the ground in silence sobbing.

"Mom, Even now still doesn't look at me the same..." Gleaming trailed off slowly, tears gently rolling down her cheeks to the floor below.

A slow building fire began to grow deep inside her heart. Gleaming narrowed pale blue hues to her side, before suddenly glaring to the calm natured Princess before her.

"Why!? Why show me this!?"

Luna stoically stood there, never answering.

"Answer me! Do you want me to feel ashamed of this?... of me?" The mare tried to sound intimidating, her voice cracking in sorrow as she let the tears fall.

"I can't help I feel this way! I just do, every year I feel colder and numb!" The mare felt her legs give out, collapsing to the floor in sobs, her whole body shivering.

"I just want to be left alone! I just want to feel whole." Her voice echoed around her as Luna faded into the darkness.

"If only for a while." Shining heard his voice return to normal. Lifting up his head to see the world had become darker and more vast then he ever could imagine.

Across from where he stood he could see himself, sitting in a circle of bright light. Beaten and scared as his eyes were filled with a sense of being broken.

Shadows of ponies lifting out from the darkness around him. Hissing and growling aloud.

The vast emptiness shaping into a vague outline of his room, the shadows gazing to the colt and back to the closet which was wide open for all to see.

"It's not right. That you should be taking care of your sister all the time." A large shadow of a female pony towered over Shining darkly.

"I...I don't mind." Shining tried to speak up, his voice so low and timid.

"What your mother means is that, what you do is not right!" A darker male voice boomed from a second shadow pony.

"I showed your father the dresses in your room honey." The mare spoke in a shallow tone as if ashamed.

"You are a colt. Not a filly!" Boomed the stallion once more.

"We've decided to hire a foal sitter to help out with your sister." The mare quickly changed the subject.

"I've set up a few classes with The Royal Cadets at the castle. They'll show you what it means to be a real stallion!" The deep voice hissed aloud.

Shining Armor just sat there in silence, ears folded back as he watched his parents toss away...

His dirty little secrets.

----

In a sudden flash of light, the shadows vanished from the room. The stallion sitting alone in silence, eyes locked onto the floor sadly. Luna walking out from the light, much like a drifting wave, her eyes upon her subject sadly.

"Know I did not show you this under malice. Two sides of the same bit, each fighting for a place in this world, yet in the end it is balance that will secure everything." Luna shook her head side to side.

"Follow your fear, pain you shall see. Open your heart and you shall be set free." Luna turned away walking into the glowing light around them.

Shining simply lifted his head afterwards, surrounded once more by nothingness.

The setting he had grown accustomed to, over the years.

It was his destiny.