• Published 3rd Jul 2016
  • 6,396 Views, 145 Comments

The Mare Does Well. - Undyne Devotion



The dream of finding happiness, the trouble of knowing you've been living a lie.

  • ...
30
 145
 6,396

Mares, Just Like To Have Fun. ( Remastered. )

"So there I stood alone."A pure white mare spoke with a calm and collected manner.

"Face to face with a snarling Yeti!" Her eyes were a soft cerulean hue, that glowed brightly in the dim light of the dark bar.

Quite a large group of ponies had gathered around, hard cider flowed on tap for all. Every creature's attention upon the playful mare, who sat proudly upon a small stool, her chest puffed out in excitement.

"The Sour Apple." A small-time bar on the outskirts of Canterlot.

For those unlucky ponies who could not afford better bars within the city, they would come here for a bitter drink and sweet times. A few of the windows cracked, the whole bar mismatched and out of style, yet the patrons always enjoyed their time here.

"I tried to steady my breathing." She spoke in a chipper tune.

"Only for the vile beast to catch the scent of my fear!" The mare swung a mug of cider to her side, nearly cracking a drunk stallion on the skull.

Mane a wild and tangled mess, light blue offset by bold darker highlights.

She had an attitude of elegance and power, which caught the eye of every pony in the room.

"Lunging towards me, I dodged out of the way!" The mare lifted atop her stool in a swift motion.

"I could barely break an icicle free from the ceiling, plunging it deep into the beast as it tackled me against the wall!" She screamed out proudly, tail swayed in place upon her plump round rump.

"Did you "hic" survive?" A blue stallion questioned seriously from the edge of the bar, the mare quick to cast a quizzical glance.

"Um, yes I slew the beast." She cleared her voice, muzzle scrunched in slight embarrassment.

"Alright, give the filly room!" The gruff bartender spoke in a stern tone, the crowd quick to disperse with a loud moan.

"C'mon, Apple Tree!~ I want to know more about how she slew MIGHTY BEASTS!!" The drunk stallion fell out cold, his muzzle smashed hard onto the counter with a loud crack.

"Double Down, the poor bastard!" Apple Tree sighed.

"Quite the imagination little filly." He flashed a smirk and wiped down the bar.

"Are you certain it's just a story?" She quipped with a sip of cider, face confident and collected.

"You look too delicate, to be a warrior filly." Apple Tree chuckled as he greeted new customers.

The mare left alone to pout, eyes squinted slightly in discomfort.

"Looking for these?" The playful voice of a stallion spoke up from behind.

She spun around to a Gamboge colored stallion, his dark blue mane spiked up in a confident masculine style.

Pastel pink glasses were held in oversized hooves. The mare was quick to snatch them back, allowing them to rest on the bridge of her muzzle cutely. She made a point to avert eye contact, returning attention to her drink.

"Suddenly shy?" The stallion chuckled and took a seat at her side.

"I'm never shy." The mare replied with a snarky snort.

"If you say so." He rolled his eyes.

"I caught the last of your little show." The stallion tapped his hoof on the bar counter, the bartender giving a nod.

"My show?" She pursed pouty lips.

"That wasn't all for show, I'll have you know." The mare gazed upward to her new companion, soft blue gaze locked onto his own.

"Such pretty eyes.~ The name is Flash!- Flash Sentry, off duty Royal guard at your service!" Flash extended a hoof politely, the surprised mare felt her cheeks burn.

"Gleaming Shield, part-time dreamer, and full-time adventurous pony!" Gleaming spoke with a slight giggle, mane curtained over her eyes.

"Lovely name, a traveler huh? ~ Sounds like an exciting job, not like guard duty." Flash groaned with a shake of his head, drink suddenly slid down the bar to his hoof.

"Why so?~ Guard duty should offer tons of excitement?." Gleaming lifted her mug, taking a mighty chug of cider.

"It can get old quick, besides." Flash paused with gritted teeth.

"Mm-hmm?" Gleaming continued to chug.

"My boss, Shining Armor is a huge dick!~ Excuse my language." Flash spoke in utmost seriousness.

Gleaming could feel the drink painfully erupt from her nostrils, eyes widened in pain as lungs burned with cider.

Flash quick to pat her backside a tad worried, his touch firm against her soft coat.

"Gleaming?" He gasped, the mare flashing a hurt gaze.

"Totally fine!~ I must go!!" Gleaming continued to gasp for air, hoof lifted over her muzzle politely.

"I thought we could maybe share a drink?" Flash gulped nervously, the mare quick to refuse.

"Sorry, but not tonight." She bounced off the stool, glasses plummeted to the ground with a delicate clink.

"But..." Flash stuttered.

"Lovely to meet you." Gleaming blurted as she rushed to the door, stumbling past a few entering ponies.

Flash lowered himself to pluck the glasses off the floor.

"Your Glasses? ~ Way to go Flash, another strikeout." He rolled both eyes, defeated by his own lack of confidence.

With a frown, he placed the glasses on the counter, thoughts of the sweet mare on his mind.

Before he returned to his bitter drink.

-------

"I'm not a dick!" Gleaming snorted in absolute anger.

Dressed in a black cloak, she might have borrowed from her wife's wardrobe.

Pulling herself through a private chamber window, she slammed it shut with a loud bang.

"Maybe a bit harsh at times." She pouted and lowered the hood away from her face, mane frazzled beyond repair.

Magic glowed from her horn, removing a tattered book from underneath the large bed to her right.

Flipping through the pages, she scanned the mystic arts for a counterspell to her current one. Finding a page full of ancient unicorn symbols, she allowed her eyes to adjust to the page carefully.

"Ahem, strength return and elegance fade." She began to chant interrupted by a thunderous knock.

"Sir, Is that you!? ~ Jenkins, thought a mare climbed through the window outside?" A stern voice of the night guard echoed, Gleaming felt both ears fold down in fear.

"Yes..." She spoke in a soprano tone, quick to force her pitch lower.

"It's just me Captain Armor!" She spoke in a laughably deep voice that cracked every other word.

"Are you sick, sir?" The guard replied worried.

"I'm perfectly fine, you're dismissed, soldier!" Gleaming spoke in a stern tone, full of confident flair.

"But sir?"

"I said dismissed!!" She yelled, her voice suddenly rose back to a sweet soprano tone.

Her eyes widened in horror.

Yet the door never swung open, instead, the sound of hoofsteps trotted away down the massive hallway.

"Damn you, Jenkins! ~ You're such a dumbass!!" The guard grumbled to his fellow comrades, voice soon fading into the distance.

"Strength return and elegance lost!" She chanted softly.

"Curves cast away at any cost!" Light-filled the room.

"Grant me the power to become a male, to no longer be weak and frail!" Voice deepened to a masculine range.

"I wish to join my brothers I adore, sisterhood I want no more!!" Shining Armor sighed, book clutched in his grasp.

"That was too close." He groaned defeated, falling onto the bed with the book.

His eyes gazed at the open book with a saddened expression. Using his hoof he slammed it shut, tossing it to the floor with a dull thud. Heart still racing from the excitement of the night.

Calming his mind, he decided to just turn in.

He had to be well-rested tomorrow when Cadance returned with his daughter.

He wasn't even sure why he had used the spell tonight, in public for that matter.

Questions to be answered another day.

For the moment, he just wanted some rest.