• Published 29th Jun 2016
  • 5,183 Views, 269 Comments

I'm no Mother, right? - Sense of Humor



In which Starlight discovers a filly taking shelter from a storm and changes her own life forever.

  • ...
12
 269
 5,183

Chapter 2- Darkness whispers in your ear

Author's Note:

I'VE FAILED YOU!

I was supposed to make this chapter starter longer! But I kept catching this deadly disease known as Writer's Block! With a bit of work and practice, I should be able to fix this problem! I hope you guys aren't too bummed about this...:fluttercry:

Well, off to type a bit more of this plot. :applecry:

Chapter 2- Dark Memories you don't Recall

The absence of Aqua Sprinkle eventually woke her up.

The unicorn had shifted her arm slightly and noticed that it didn't bump into any small bodies, rather her other arm. She blinked groggily from under the blankets, but managed to look towards the door. It was partially open. She'd left again? What kind of filly would love getting up so early? Even a rooster would be confused.

She hadn't moved too much sit up when the filly in question suddenly waddled into the room wordlessly, giant liquid eyes brightening at the sight of her surrogate. A big blue tray was just barely held up in her tiny lips, and her neck was straining to balance the contents of the tray: eggs, toast, buttermilk pancakes with fresh syrup and Applesauce. The filly managed to scoot the tray onto the bed carefully, allowing Starlight to see the adorable smile Aqua had for her.

Good Morning, Mommy. Starlight encountered a smile this time, rather than the usual feeling of Awkwardness. A good sign for the day. I've made you toast and pancakes and cheesy eggs and uh, that's it...Well, I didn't really make all this. Auntie Twilight helped me!

"Auntie Twilight?" She stifled a small giggle at her words because it was just ironic. Her teacher turned into her sister all of a sudden, by the way the filly had called her. "I see. I also see that you two make quite the cooks! This looks absolutely delicious!"

Aqua Sprinkle looked as if she couldn't be anymore happy about that statement. Starlight mulled over the absolute kindness of the filly that she'd seen in the last few days. She honestly expected nothing but mischief when she was given the notion of caretaking the filly, but there'd been very little mischief from her at all. It could have been because Aqua had decided that she'd been abandoned under that tree by parents she didn't even remember, and that those parents did that because she was mean to them.

Her brow furrowed at the thought. Even if that were true, what kind of ponies would be heartless enough to drop their child under a tree in the middle of a storm no matter what she'd done? She didn't want such a sweet, innocent filly to feel guilty over something that potentially wasn't her fault. Not someone as special as her.

Is something wrong? Aqua's ears were starting to lower against her head in worry. You're kinda getting that pouty look you make when you're sad...

"I'm not sad, I've just been thinking too much. Way too much to be honest...You remember what I said to you last night? Right?"

Aqua slightly shrugged, and the unicorn remembered that she'd fallen asleep just before she could hear the words.

"Well...I said that...I-I love you. And I do love you, very much so! What pony couldn't love an adorable little thing like you?" Starlight asked rhetorically, while the filly blushed a little. "I've been hesitant in the past because...b-because my mother wasn't exactly there for me..."

Her eyes widened as if it were the most shocking thing in the world, and her gasp could've been heard downstairs if anypony was there to hear it.

"Yes, she wasn't. She wasn't there for me when I was your age and...I was worrying that without any experience with my mother, I'd end up making you like me." Starlight explained whilst gesturing to herself with a hoof. She swallowed and continued. "And I've got a seriously bad past and...th-the point is, I see now that if I keep up this hesitation then it'll end up...l-lets just say you wouldn't like it."

The filly's face was expressionless now, which worried Starlight as usual. This didn't stop her from finishing. "So...What I'm saying is...I've decided to a-adopt you. Officially."

It would have been an incredible sight were it not for the fact that this is a story and not a movie. In one moment, Aqua Sprinkle was processing the news far faster than normal and in the next moment Starlight was being strangled by the arms of a very small pony. She fell back against the wall, but the filly didn't let up in her assault.

Your'ereallygoingtoadoptmeohmygoshthisisoawesomeandcoolandawesomeipromiseillbegoodandillneverfightwithyouandwellhavefundrawingandmakingcoolmasksandauntietwilightwillbesohappytohearthis...Mommy?

Starlight gasped for air when the filly let go, wheezing as she neared normal lung capacity. "I'm..happy that you're... Excited."

Aqua nodded as if her life depended on it. Wow! And I get to live here with you?!

"Of course! I'm not gonna have my daughter sleep too far away from me."

Daughter?! I like it! I'm a daughter! I'm a daughter! I'm a daughter!

Starlight smiled warmly at her new (and currently only) daughter, while the funky new dance 'I'm a daughter' was born on that bed...

And promptly spilled evey breakfast item on her blankets.


Sorry about your bed, Mommy.

"No, you were excited. You couldn't help yourself." Starlight smirked. The bed was a mess now, but she needed a change of sheets anyways. Just purple? Really? It simply had to have some periwinkle in it. "And you didn't get hurt at least."

Aqua trailed off into silent agreement, but the silence was short-lived. Where're we going again?

"You're going to Sweet Apple Acres again, so you can play with Applebloom for a while. Her family is going to watch you while I do some paperwork that'll officially make you my new family member." Starlight playfully poked her daughter's neck, and the filly giggled loudly. "It won't take long, believe me."

The pegasus filly eventually looked up in wonder at the sight of other, fully grown Pegasi that did cloud movements far above their heads. She looked down at her comparatively puny wings and flapped them wildly for a second. She got off the ground for a few seconds at a time, but not too long.

"I see somepony's trying to learn how to fly."

Yeah, I'll get the hang of it eventually. Maybe I'll be as great as those other...uh...flyers?

"Pegasus, Sweetie." Starlight grinned down upon her, and the smile pretty much bounced back upwards. "And I'm sure you'll be better than all of them….Oh! We're here."

The two of them reluctantly said goodbye soon after talking things over with Applejack(the cutie mark crusaders were ironically there), and Starlight left to make her way down to the hospital. Oddly, the feeling of being watched wasn't there as she trotted down the dirt roads...maybe whoever was doing this was leaving them alone? It was a wishful thought.

The wait for the same doctor she'd met before wasn't very long, and within a few minutes they both greeted each other. Once she explained her decision to adopt Aqua, the doctor seemed pretty excited for her. Heck, she was excited for herself. "This is excellent! I was hoping you'd agree to this! Although I must admit, you were reluctant about trying this before...Any reason for the change of heart?"

"It's hard to explain...Aqua and I...we connected. She's shown that she really likes me a lot." The unicorn told him with a shrug. "And I guess I do to. If I can really have this kind of good influence on somepony like her...If I can make her life much better than it is now, then I'm going to do it. It probably won't be easy but...I'm a reformed villain! What could be harder to accomplish?"

"Dealing with the shopping wants of fillies. Trust me, it'll hardly be fun." The doctor chuckled.

Starlight smirked and waved her hoof dismissively. "Hey, don't change my mind now!"

"Ha! If you wait right here, I'll get those papers for you!"

"Thank you, Doctor!" She smiled as he left, and helped herself to leaning against the wall nonchalantly. For a while, she just inspected her hooves...that is until an all too familiar feeling crept back into her heart. Starlight slowly turned to look behind herself and eventually spotted a pony far down the hallway.

At least...it looked like a pony. The figure was cloaked and definitely hidden in it's own shadows; from it's frontward position it was difficult to tell if it was a pony or something else crouching. She frowned as a chill ran down her spine, but before anything else could be done-

"Here are the papers-"

"AUGH!" Starlight turned back around in a snap and winced, rubbing her neck with a hoof. The figure wasn't there when she turned around again, which sent another chill down her spine. "Oh...uh, hi again. Thank you. I'll get these signed."

"Are you okay?" The doctor looked behind her and then back at her.

"Oh, I-I'm fine! I just...was thinking is all." Starlight exclaimed nervously and walked backwards with the papers in her magical grasp. She didn't exactly give him time to respond to her question because of this, so she just awkwardly exited the doors as fast as she could and went down the dirt road...while looking around every 3 seconds. Anypony who walked past her would stare at the strangely twitching pony as if she were crazy, almost all the way to Sweet Apple Acres.

A pair of sinister eyes stared at her like a hungry animal.