• Published 19th Jun 2016
  • 2,609 Views, 70 Comments

A Queen's Adoption - Danger A Dragon



Chrysalis meets her new family and learns about them.

  • ...
7
 70
 2,609

Adoption

I didn’t think it was possible for my hive to die out but with me being an inexperienced Queen, I suppose it was inevitable. It started slowly at first and I thought I had stemmed it by trying to get my hive fed, but they just wouldn’t stop dying. When I couldn’t find enough love for them or think of other ways to keep them alive, they just dropped dead one after another like dominoes. I was torn with grief when I felt them die and lose their connection with the hive mind. After the final one, I had never felt so alone because wherever I went, whether it was to scout out areas or to feed on love, the hive had always been with me.

I abandoned the now empty hive and decided to live with my grief. I flew away from the hive silently and gave it a last glance before heading off. Over the multitude of green-leaved trees I went until eventually, I had to land when it got too dark to see. Lighting up my horn in a toxic green glow, I wept for my hive while walking amongst the tall trees. I didn’t care if any monsters saw my horn’s glow. If they did, I would just vanish on the spot and reappear somewhere else.

I didn’t run into any trouble, thankfully, but some time later, my hooves brushed against dirt instead of crunchy leaves or soggy ground. I looked up and down the dirt track and headed to the left, wondering where it would take me. Maybe it was to some form of civilisation that wasn't the small villages near my hive. In case it was, I donned a disguise. A ring of bright green flames lit up around me as I walked and my body changed. My chitin smoothed out to become green fur, my wings grew bones and developed feathers the same colour as my coat. My limp mane and tail became purple with a grey stripe running through it and I gained a cutie mark of a leaky tap.

I may have lost the use of my horn, but at least I wouldn’t look out of place. When the flames died, my vision took a while to adjust until then I could barely see three feet in front of me. I shook my head to get my vision clearer and continued onwards. By the time dull light had filtered in through the canopy, my gait was slow and my head hung low, but I knew I couldn’t stop walking until I hit civilisation, otherwise I would just collapse and most likely never get up again.

At first, I thought my ears were playing tricks on me as they flicked to catch an unknown sound but soon enough, I could hear voices somewhere in the distance. Praying that these voices weren’t some sort of changeling haters, I continued walking at my slow pace.

“Don’t get too far away, Luna. We may live in the forest, but that does not make it safe,” a concerned male voice said.

“Okay, I’ll keep within sight,” a happy young female said from closer to me. A father and a daughter living in this forest? I was surprised by it and did hear hooves running as I rounded the bend. I must have been too lost in my thoughts because the next thing I knew, I gave an ‘oof’ and was sprawled on the dirt path.

“Ow, I didn’t expect to run into anyone out here. Are you okay?” the voice associated with ‘Luna’ said from beside me. I groaned and went to answer before looking at the multi-blue-hued mare beside me and cowered in shock. I didn’t want my grief to get the best of me so I pushed it to the back of my mind for the moment.

“You have wings and a horn?” I asked her in an echoless version of my voice.

“Yes, I, uh, We are an Alicorn and have traits of all three of the pony tribes. Our family is just like Us as well,” Luna said with a smile. ‘Us’? I don’t recall anypony speaking like that but then again, I never really attempted to talk to any other pony nor listen in on conversations. Her smile did lower my guard a bit but I still don’t think I should trust her.

“How many are in your family then? Is it just you and your dad?” I questioned her as my shock wore off. This … Alicorn didn’t look much older than me, which was a weird little surprise to notice.

“There are four of us. Mother, Father, Sister, and Us. We are Princess Luna and Our family lives in the castle nearby,” Luna said as she pointed back the way she came. Princess Luna has to be joking. There’s no such thing as a princess for the ponies. I even nearly scoffed at her but I kept myself in check.

“Pleasure to bump into you then, princess. I am Chr - Faucet,” I introduced myself as I smirked and very nearly let my true name slip.

“It is nice to meet you, Chr - Faucet,” Luna said with a covered giggle. I wondered what was so funny but I heard her father call out for her before I had a chance to ask.

“Luna, who are you talking to? I told you not to get too far away,” Luna’s father said from around the bend.

“I’m just talking to one of the citizens that I accidentally bumped into, Father. Her name is Faucet,” Luna replied happily.

“Oh? What is one of our citizens doing out in the forest this early in the morning without somepony with her?” Luna’s father said as he rounded the corner. I saw a tall Alicorn stallion with a white coat, a brown beard, and a mane and tail the same shade as his beard. I couldn’t really tell what his cutie mark was, nor did I want to find out as I immediately backed up out of fear.

My backside hit a tree and I lost my concentration on my disguise as a ring of green flames surrounded me. My body turned back into a black chitin exoskeleton, my mane and tail became seafoam green and limp, and two green bands extended out from my membranous wings to wrap around my barrel.

“I … um,” I couldn’t form the proper words as I looked at the princess and her father in fear.

“Father, she can change forms!” Luna said excitedly.

“Yes, and she seems quite afraid of us at the moment,” Luna’s father said calmly.

“You, um, you’re not going to scream at the sight of me?” I asked hesitantly when I realised they weren’t going to do anything to me yet.

“Scream? No, little one, we aren’t going to scream. A lone changeling who seems very unlike the others I’ve seen in the past doesn’t scare us,” Luna’s father said as he stepped next to Luna and laid down.

“I’m not like the others because …” I didn’t know what I was saying or why I was saying it but I felt like I needed somepony else to share my grief with, no matter how scared I was of them.

“You do not have to tell us if you don’t want to, Faucet. I would like to know why you are by yourself in this dangerous forest, though,” Luna’s father said kindly. I backed up further into the tree before sliding back to the ground.

“I’m by myself because I’m not like the others. They’re all dead and their Queen is still alive,” I finally told him and I actually didn’t feel like crying afterwards.

“You’re a Queen!? But you don’t look much older than I am!” Luna said in shock and excitement. I laid my ears flat against my head to drown out the loud voice before answering.

“Yes, I’m the only Queen. There are no other hives around and I only became Queen a few months ago,” I told her as I rubbed my ear with a hoof.

“Sorry, I got excited because I haven’t met any other royalty. I’m glad to not have to talk like earlier, though. Father said that I have to talk that way when in talking around beings that aren’t in our peer group,” Luna said as she trotted closer and sat a couple paces in front of me.

“Is there a reason why you have to talk that way, or is it just an Alicorn trait?” I inquired as I stared at the princess with wide eyes.

“Father said it is how royalty speaks. Since the only Alicorns I know are my family, I guess you could call it an Alicorn trait as well,” Luna said with a hoof to her chin as she tilted her head slightly.

“Where’s the rest of your family then? I thought they would have joined you two,” I wonder whether they had to stay behind at the castle but didn’t really think much of it. I just relaxed slightly and let the princess speak.

“Celestia had to practice raising the sun before joining us for the walk and she’s always walked at a more sedated pace than I do,” Luna explained. Something tells me her sister is a lot more prim and proper than excitable.

“Is she older or younger than you?” I asked her as I carefully laid down in front of her.

“Older, by about five hundred years,” Luna said casually.

“That doesn’t sound like a big gap,” I commented and looked at some blades of grass through the holes in my hooves.

“Compared to the gap in her age and mother’s age it definitely isn’t,” Luna said before an idea seemed to strike her. “Would you like to meet them and join us for our walk?”

“Um, I would if your father will let me,” I said in astonishment. I wasn’t really expecting that. I thought we were just going to have a talk and then go our separate ways.

“You are by yourself, young Queen. This forest holds many dangers so I would feel better knowing you are safe. So, please join us on our walk,” Luna’s father said. I unintentionally yawned and covered it up behind a hoof before standing.

“In that case, I would love to join you,” I told him with a nervous smile.

“Hmm, perhaps you’d like some rest instead. Did you not sleep well last night?” Luna’s father asked. I shook my head at the question.

“No, I walked all night, sir,” I said politely.

“Then let’s get you to bed and my name is Morning Star, young Queen,” Morning Star said before he levitated me onto his back and began walking the way they’d come. I didn’t realise how tired I was until we were walking.

“My name is not Faucet, princess. It’s Chrysalis,” I mumbled to the princess when I noticed her walking on the side my head was facing towards.

“It’s good to meet you, Chrysalis. Please, call me Luna,” Luna said with a smile.

“Okay, Luna,” I murmured with a small smile of my own before falling asleep.


I wasn’t sure how long I had slept for and I don’t think it really mattered because, in my dreams, I was reliving some happy memories I had within my hive. Memories that mostly consisted of talking with my mother, or just having fun ordering a couple of drones about through the hive mind connection. I looked around my current memory and could only see shiny black walls as well as a sticky green floor. I don’t remember going into a room like this one in the hive before. The floor barely stuck to my hooves yet it felt like they seemed to be permanently stuck at the same time.

“What is this?” I asked myself and ended up looking at my surroundings for a potential hidden answer.

“A nightmare, Chrysalis. Would you like me to help?” Luna’s voice asked before echoing around me.

“A nightmare? It doesn’t look like any nightmare I’ve heard about,” I called out to Luna’s voice as I walked around in circles.

“You were having a nice dream before coming here, right? If that is so then this is either a nightmare or we have gone into the manifestation of your mind,” Luna’s voice explained. I took another look around and realised that the latter option was closer to the truth.

“Can you show yourself?” I asked hesitantly before sitting in the goopy floor. A swirling white portal opened before me as Luna flew through it.

“Sorry, I didn’t want to truly enter if you didn’t want me to despite having great news for you,” Luna said as she landed in front of me. I looked at her curiously.

“What news?” I pried with a feeling of nervousness.

“You’re my sister now!” Luna said happily as she trotted forward and hugged me.

“Sister? But we only just met,” I was utterly confused by this but hugged her back nonetheless.

“Mom and dad were discussing something once we’d put you into a bed. After a few minutes, they walked over to me and told me that they’d decided to adopt you. So, now you’re my and Celestia’s sister,” Luna explained.

“Th… um, aren’t they rushing into adopting a complete stranger?” I asked, still in confusion about the news.

“Mmm, they were talking about the possibility of you having family or somewhere to go, but dad remembered what you said about being the only one left alive. So, they both nodded and said that they’d adopt you once they had looked into something,” Luna said after some thought. “Do you not want to be my sister?”

“I …” I trailed off and really thought about me being the only one left before sniffling. “I do want to be your sister, but I don’t really know if your parents are rushing into things or not.”

“Well, dad did go somewhere saying that he’d be back after looking at something and that they’d make it official after he’d confirmed something or other. I was just really excited about having another sister so I entered your dreams to tell you,” Luna said in thought. I stared before giving a small laugh.

“This is so surreal but I didn’t really expect your parents to be this kind,” I told her with a broad smile.

“Well, once you wake up you can ask them yourself. I’m just glad you’re happy,” Luna said as she smiled back.

“Well, I’m happy about the possibility of not being alone,” I replied with a nod.

“You’re not alone, Chryssie. I’m with you,” Luna said. I blinked at the nickname and gave Luna a blank stare before giving a thoughtful expression.

“I think you’re more excited about having a sister that’s closer to your age than anything else,” I told her thoughtfully.

“Celestia is nice, but she doesn’t have a lot of time to play with me,” Luna said sadly.

“If I really am adopted, then I’ll play with you as much as you want,” I told her with a kind tone.

“So, you won’t play with me if you aren’t adopted?” Luna asked with a tilt of her head.

“If I’m not, then I’ll play until I have to leave,” I replied after giving it a moment’s thought and rubbed the back of my neck with a hoof.

“Yay! We can play hide and seek and a whole bunch of other fun games,” Luna said happily.

“Let me wake up then and we’ll find out which is which,” I said with a giggle, not really expecting Luna’s happiness to be infectious.

“Let you wake up? I only enter dreams to help. It is the dreamer who ultimately controls things. Besides, you’re already waking up,” Luna said as she faded away until she disappeared from sight. The room I was in brightened up considerably until all I saw was white.