• Published 19th Jun 2016
  • 2,609 Views, 70 Comments

A Queen's Adoption - Danger A Dragon



Chrysalis meets her new family and learns about them.

  • ...
7
 70
 2,609

True Battle

Another fifty years on and we’re coming up to the time my sisters weren’t talking to each other anymore and I’ve been acting as a sort of mediary ever since Luna wouldn’t stop ranting on about how much she hated Celestia. I agreed with her and did my best to stay impartial to the both of them but things went downhill fast after I tried to talk to Celestia. Luna has been corrupted by some form of demon and is now permanently in her true form.

When this happened, she declared herself to no longer be Luna and is now Nightmare Moon and claims to bring about eternal night. I’ve decided to finally confront Celestia in the throne room about talking it out with Nightmare Moon to see if that will bring Luna back. Oh, my hive has been doing fine, by the way. I just need a few more centuries to actually finish rebuilding it.

“Celestia, listen to me, please,” I pleaded with her to see if she will actually talk it out.

“Why should I listen when the last time I did it just made things worse?” Celestia countered.

“Because you never actually did anything other than listen. This is our sister we’re talking about and you’ve alienated her!” I shouted at her and considering I actually wanted those two to talk, this is not going to plan at all.

“‘Sister’? No, she’s no longer Luna. She’s said so herself,” Celestia replied.

“She still is. Why not just try talking to her? She’s still in there,” I said in a low voice.

“And what makes you think that? She no longer helps ponies with their nightmares and is making them worse instead. She no longer does any of the things Luna did,” Celestia said bitterly. I took a step back from her before looking her straight in the eyes.

“That’s because she’s being controlled and if you had spent a lot more time with her like I did, you. Would. Know. That,” I said through gritted fangs before baring them at Celestia.

“She made it plain that day years ago when she avoided me that she didn’t want to see me. So, tell that to her not me,” Celestia said as she spread her wings and lit her horn menacingly.

“She only avoided you because you kept calling her best friend a parasitic bug that didn’t belong with you or her,” I replied before taking another step back from her now lit-up horn.

“If she actually wanted to spend time with me then she could have, but she didn’t during all this time since. So, don’t blame me for everything,” Celestia countered.

“You never tried to patch things up with her so who else am I meant to blame? Our dead parents? Fat chance of that happening because they’re long gone,” I argued. I may have used our parents’ death as an excuse but I could see that I was fighting a losing battle here.

“She didn’t try to patch things up either and she was the one with more freedom. So, tell me which of us is truly at fault here?” Celestia replied.

“You,” I said furiously. “You never made the effort. Lulu wanted to but she was too scared and angry at you to try even though I helped as best I could. You alienated both of us when you became even more absorbed in your studies when mom and dad died.”

I did what I had to do! I’m the oldest and as such, I inherited the responsibilities mom and dad had! If I hadn’t done as I had then this nation wouldn’t have held together and split into the three tribes once more. It would have been a step or ten back instead of forward to a better life for everypony,” Celestia said.

We could have helped!” I yelled at her.

“Enough! I will not sit here and have all of my actions scrutinized by a ruler of nothing! If Nightmare Moon wishes to speak to me then she can come and speak, but I will not go to her!” Celestia shouted.

“You need to make the first move otherwise, nothing will be solved!” I argued.

“Even if I did she’d only speak to you,” Celestia replied.

“She wouldn’t see me,” I growled before vanishing on the spot with a concealed spell.

“Then she wouldn’t speak at all!” Celestia countered. That’s it. I’ve had enough of her stubbornness so I buzzed my wings as quickly as I could and flew behind her silently before blasting a mental spell at her. I tailored this one to suit my needs so instead of seeing what she wanted to most, Celestia saw a flickering image of Nightmare Moon and a trapped Luna wherever she looked.

“What is this!?” Celestia shouted as she looked around frantically.

“A spell I created out of an old one. Unless you’re willing to find her and speak with her, it’s not coming off,” I said, making my voice echo around the throne room with a vocal projection spell.

“You know she won’t speak to me,” Celestia replied.

“I don’t care. You need to try,” I said sternly.

“What’s the point if I only say ‘hi’ to be met with silence before waiting a bit and then saying ‘goodbye’?” Celestia wondered.

“You have words. Use them!” I yelled before firing a blast of magic at her horn. The blast hit her horn, blackening it and knocking her down.

“Words are useless when they fall on deaf ears!” Celestia shouted as she lay on the floor.

“Just. Try!” I shouted before stomping my veiled hooves on her ribcage. I know I’m going about this the wrong way but Celestia isn’t even attempting to teleport away so what else can I do? She cried out in pain from my stomp before firing a beam of magic at me. The beam hit and bounced off my chitin even though I cried in agony and stepped back, losing my concentration on my stealth spell.

“So long as she calls herself Nightmare Moon she is not my sister, Chrysalis. Luna is my sister not her,” Celestia said as she cast a shield around herself.

“Nightmare Moon is your sister’s true form so don’t you dare say that!” I said furiously.

“The form is Luna’s, but she isn’t Luna,” Celestia countered.

“She is because you made her that way!” I shouted before feeling a cold wave wash over me. A flash of black illuminated my vision for a few brief seconds before fading away. When it did, I felt my chitin covering me from head to toe as a form of seamless armor. When I blinked, my eyelids clacked together, signaling that this new armor covered my face completely. I took a few steps, forward and backward, to see what else that black flash did before noticing my flowing mane out of the corner of my eye. Even the holes in my hooves had smoothed over to make way for even more insect armor. Maybe this true form stuff wasn’t so bad after all.

“So, you’ve gained a true form. Congratulations,” Celestia said as she studied my new form.

“If only it was under better circumstances,” I commented sadly and twisted around to see that my tail had gained an ethereal quality to it as well.

“You’re not going to leave me alone until I do as you want, are you?” Celestia asked.

“No, I’m not. This new form proves it too,” I muttered, my anger back in full force as I fired a wide beam of toxic green magic at her. It looked and felt much more powerful than when I last shot at her. My beam shattered her shield and sent her careening into the wall behind her before she was engulfed in flames and emerged in her true form. They weren’t kidding about first-time transformations being extremely powerful.

“How does that form prove it?” Celestia asked with a metallic hollowness to her voice now.

“I’m not going to stop fighting until you agree to make the first move and speak to your sister,” I answered and vanished on the spot again before flying about the room, flapping my wings as fast as a no-see-um’s to keep silent which averaged out to a thousand and forty-six wingbeats a second.

“That has nothing to do with your new form since I believe you would have done so anyway,” Celestia replied as heat waves began to spread throughout the throne room.

“It has everything to do with my new form. I wanted to protect my sister as well as you but you weren’t seeing reason and my regular strength wasn’t doing anything to you,” I explained as a clear, cool shield unknowingly formed around me to stop the heat waves from affecting me.

“So we gained our true forms in similar ways then,” Celestia said as she looked right at me and made a spear of fire above her head before throwing it at me. My eyes widened and I quickly fired a big jet of water from my horn at it to extinguish the fiery weapon. “Was that a new ability that came with your new form or just a spell that you’ve been practicing to counter this form?”

“I didn’t enchant a spell so it must have been a new ability,” I said in shock.

“Interesting. You can lower your concealment spell. I know exactly where you are,” Celestia replied. I lowered my concealment charm as she asked and tilted my head when she mentioned a shield as well. “Your shield gave you away.”

“What shield?” I asked but my magic answered in way of revealing a blue bubble surrounding me. I looked around myself in surprise and touched the side of it with my hoof. It bent outwards before rippling back into place.

“That one and even if it hadn’t I would have been able to find you since your wings stir the air and affect the heat waves enough to distort them wherever you are,” Celestia pointed out. I ignored her in favor of trying to pop the bubble with my horn but it didn’t seem to want to budge.

“Are you still putting out heat waves?” I asked in confusion.

“Can’t really help it with my wings, mane, and tail being fire, but I am actively putting out heat waves right now,” Celestia replied. That would explain why my bubble wasn’t popping. I looked at her before grinning.

“It appears that my true form gave me an affinity for water. It’s … odd but given the circumstances I’m glad it did,” I told her.

“Then shall we see which is stronger? My fire or your water?” Celestia asked as she flew up to my level.

“If it will get you to speak to Luna, I’m willing to go all the way,” I answered.

“Luna is gone, Chrysalis,” Celestia replied as even more heat waves emanated from her.

“She’s not gone!” I retorted, my anger flaring up in the form of water spikes that turned to steam as soon as they touched Celestia.

“Then prove it!” Celestia challenged as she sent a wide gout of flame towards me. I’ve got no control over my newfound ability at the moment so I instinctively turned into steam when my bubble popped and the flames got near before I coalesced into a solid form again.

“That was a very weird feeling,” I shuddered in the air before diving underneath Celestia.

“I know the feeling since Father burst me into flame during our first sparring match in our true forms,” Celestia said as she sent another gout of flame after me. I narrowly dodged the blast and skidded into a lopsided landing when my right wing burst into steam.

“Is my body now made of water?” I asked in confusion as I watched and felt my wing reattach itself after a few moments.

“It seems so. Just as mine is made out of flame and heat. Since I’m still not quite sure about the red lava veins across my body,” Celestia commented. I turned to Celestia and buzzed my wings before taking off. Opening my muzzle, my eyes widened when scalding water shot out in a steady stream at Celestia’s belly.

“A futile attack,” Celestia said as she held still and was enveloped in steam as my attack got near her. I took advantage of the steam and flew close to her, risking the heat, and fired a point blank wide beam of pure magic at her belly. She cried out in pain as my beam sent her into the ceiling and a cloud of dust and debris concealed her. I breathed and landed. I folded my wings underneath the chitin of my new form and stared up at where I had shot her.

“Celestia!?” I called out to her. A pillar of flame blasted the dust cloud away as Celestia walked out in mid-air as though she were on solid ground. Uh oh.

“I see that I don’t have to hold back anymore,” Celestia said before looking around. “We’ll continue elsewhere otherwise we’d need to get a new home.”

“Let’s go where Lulu can see us then,” I said without taking my eyes off of her and teleported both of us to outside the forest and into a meadow where Nightmare Moon was pacing around.

“Why have you brought the accursed sun here, Chryssie?” Nightmare asked as she bared her fangs at Celestia.

“Because she wants to talk to you, Lulu,” I answered and pointed an armored hoof up at her.

“Lies, she’s never wanted to talk before,” Nightmare replied before seeing my new form. “When’d you get your new form?”

“Roughly twenty minutes ago when I unsuccessfully convinced her to talk to you,” I informed my sister.

“If you were unsuccessful then why bring her here?” Nightmare wondered as glared at Celestia.

“Because as I found out, Celestia likes talking when she’s fighting,” I replied.

“She never did like sneaking up behind an opponent and father always said she was a chatterbox despite how she normally is,” Nightmare replied. “If you are fighting her then let me join in so I can make my eternal night possible. It’s two on one and she wouldn’t stand a chance.”

“As long as you two talk things out, I don’t mind,” I shrugged and without looking at Nightmare, concentrated on Celestia and fired a jet of ice cold water at her in an attempt to freeze her in place. Celestia sent a stream of flame to counter my water and a giant cloud of steam exploded when the two met.

“If you’re trying to douse my flame you’re going to have to do much better than that since I haven’t even used my hottest flames yet,” Celestia said before sending a fireball towards me.

“And you should pay attention to both of your opponents,” Nightmare said as she sent a magic beam towards Celestia.

“What do you think of me controlling water, Lulu?” I whispered to her when I noticed her right next to me as I kept my attention on Celestia.

“Considering how frightened you were of her true form it makes sense that your true form would try to counter hers,” Nightmare replied. Celestia dove to dodge the beam of magic Nightmare had sent at her before landing in front of us and charging. I noticed Nightmare vanish into the shadows and I turned back to Celestia before suddenly evaporating into steam as she barrelled into and through me.

“I really need to get a handle on this,” I muttered when I reformed.

“That won’t be anytime soon. It took a week for me to do so,” Celestia replied as she sent another gout of flame at me before getting hit in the belly by Nightmare’s hoof and soaring into the air.

“She’s talking, but only to you,” Nightmare commented as she emerged from the shadows.

“Then try actually talking to her? She’s obviously not going to start it off no matter how much I tell her to,” I huffed before standing up and walking until I was directly underneath Celestia. I looked up and shielded my eyes from the glare of her body with a hoof.

“There’s nothing to talk about with her since all she wants is her eternal night,” Celestia said as she sent pillars of flame at me and Nightmare. I countered my pillar by covering my body in a bubble of water which exploded into steam upon contact. Nightmare simply melted into the shadows and reappeared in another location before her pillar of flame hit her.

“That may be but you could try apologizing to her!” I called out.

“There’s nothing to apologize about since I was only doing what I had to do!” Celestia replied and dove at Nightmare. I saw where she was heading and galloped after her.

“Apologise for not doing anything about those rumors! For not spending time with her! For not being there when mom and dad died instead of immersing yourself in your studies!” I yelled after her desperately.

“It’s too late for her to apologize for all of that, Chryssie! Far too late!” Nightmare yelled as she and Celestia clashed and began to fight hoof to hoof.

“STOP!” I yelled at both of them before my horn flashed white and encased both of them in ice. I skidded to a stop just in front of them and my jaw fell open in shock at what I did. I didn’t even think about it. I just wanted them to stop fighting for once and talk! The ice around Celestia began to melt and crack as Nightmare vanished into the shadows. Soon enough, Celestia broke free and began looking around for Nightmare.

“A good spell, but merely a delaying tactic for those of our power, Chrysalis,” Celestia commented.

“Th-That wasn’t a spell,” I said fearfully.

“It wasn’t? Well, it was an effective ability then,” Celestia said before Nightmare blindsided her, sending her skidding across the ground.

“Thanks for distracting her,” Nightmare said before running after Celestia.

“I, um,” I blustered and could only watch as both sisters fought, no longer having the energy to stop them and was too fearful of what I can now do if I did manage it. They fought for what seemed hours until they were both breathing heavily as they glared at one another. I gulped and slowly walked up to them. At some point during the fight, I reverted back to my normal form and sat in front of the two. “Do-Do you two want to talk, or are you going to glare at each other?”

“She... obviously doesn’t…. want me to... talk to her,” Celestia said.

“It’s too late... to apologize,” Nightmare commented.

“I … I thought you two .. would talk while … fighting,” I said with tears in my eyes at the thought of those two always fighting and never coming to a conclusion.

“Apparently not, but there’s one good thing that came from this, Chryssie,” Night said with a grin.

“Wh-What’s that?” I hiccupped.

“She’s too tired to stop this!” Nightmare shouted as she turned the day to night.

“No…” Celestia gasped.

“A-Apparently … I was wrong about both of you,” I said sadly and looked at Celestia forlornly before teleporting to the castle. I shook my head and walked around the throne room to look for the Elements of Harmony. If Celestia hasn’t moved them, they should be around here somewhere. Behind a crack in the wall, I magicked out six different coloured gems and teleported back to Celestia with the gems in tow.

“Nightmare, stop this! You’re going to kill the entire world!” Celestia shouted as Nightmare hovered above the treeline.

“Celestia?” I asked sadly.

“I’ve been trying to talk her out of this ever since you left, but she hasn’t said a word in reply and is just reveling in her night,” Celestia said before laying down in despair.

“Th-Then u-use these,” I stammered in despair before floating the six Elements of Harmony in front of Celestia with tears streaming down my face.

“Th-The Elements!? I can’t use them since she is linked with three of them and we don’t know what they’d do to her,” Celestia replied.

“Sh-She’s not l-listening to e-either of us and I w-w-was stupid to th-think sh-she would s-still be in there,” I cried before slowly transforming into what I remembered Luna looked like before the nightmare took her over. “D-Do you think th-this’ll fool th-the Elements?”

“I-I doubt it, but there’s only one way to find out. Give me magic, honesty, and generosity,” Celestia said as she stood up on shaky legs. I let her take the appropriate gems while I kept loyalty, laughter and kindness. I looked up at Nightmare and couldn’t bring myself to speak as I stood up. Celestia channeled her magic into her Elements as her eyes glowed white and she levitated off the ground.

I prayed that the Elements could be fooled and channeled my magic into Luna’s elements. I waited for something to happen and nothing did until I got the bright idea of changing the colour of my magical aura to match Luna’s. When that happened, the Elements joined Celestia’s while I stayed rooted to the ground and squeezed my eyes shut while keeping my magical feed alive and strong. I didn’t know what happened next but I heard Nightmare Moon yell something at us.

“You’ll pay for this, sisters! I’ll come back and have my vengeance on you both!” Nightmare shouted before a blinding light shone through my eyelids. The light lasted a few moments before it vanished and all I heard was the breathing of Celestia nearby.

“Sh-She’s gone. Isn’t she?” I asked in a trembling voice and refused to open my eyes.

“The Elements have sent her to the moon, sister,” Celestia said before six thuds were heard.

“I didn’t want this to happen,” I said quietly before teleporting away. When I made it into my room in the castle, I collapsed into a sobbing wreck of a mare on my bed. A flash of light a few minutes later indicated somepony had teleported into my room.

“We have lost two great things, Chrysalis. I’m sorry it had to end this way,” Celestia said quietly.

“Just leave me alone,” I flinched through my sobs when I laid my bloodshot and teary eyes on Celestia.

“Very well, but Luna would’ve wanted you to have this,” Celestia said and levitated Luna’s old regalia necklace along with a wrapped present with my name on it over to me. “The present is from mom, dad, Luna, and I. We picked it out for when you gained your true form.” Celestia then teleported away.

I sniffed and rubbed my tears with my magic as they formed as I set aside Luna’s old regalia necklace to open the up the present. I unwrapped it to find a white gold set of armor. I stood up on the bed as I stared at it in awe. The horseshoes, chest plate, and helmet were of a brilliant white while the necklace part of it had a heart with a green flame nestling inside. I wordlessly put the armor set on and was surprised to find that it actually fit me, considering I had grown until I was as tall as Celestia during my time with this family. When I looked at the black regalia necklace through the slits in my helmet, I nearly broke down into tears again before grabbing it in my magic and teleporting to my hive.