• Published 15th May 2016
  • 3,167 Views, 118 Comments

The Zabrak and the Dragon - DeltaXeno1138



Dath Maul lands in Equestria, and is lead to a young dragon with dark side potential.

  • ...
5
 118
 3,167

Chapter 9

"Tell me Twilight" Zecora said as she poured a cup of tea for her guest "What brings you to my home? Is everything alright?"

"Well yes" Twilight said as she took the cup in her magic, giving her friend a thankful nod "But there is something I wished to look into. Something I think you could help me with."

Zecora tilted her head and raised a brow at the statement.

"You do know about your....sort of neighbor, Maul, right? I mean, I'd be surprised if you didn't."

Zecora seemed to grow serious all of a sudden, regarding Twilight for a second before shifting her eyes to the side, as if looking through the wall to the abandoned castle.

"Equestria's guest from beyond the stars?" Zecora asked before taking a sip of her own tea "Yes. I was on the border of town during his welcome and I've observed him from afar."

It was impossible to miss her apprehension.

"You seem put off about it."

"What is it you need my help in?" Zecora said, quick to convey she wanted to change the subject.

"Well, if you've been observing him, then can I assume you know he's become a sort of teacher to Spike?"

Zecora merely nodded.

"Well, recently he put him through some kind of ritual, and they both drank a tea, some form of elixir. The elixir changed Spike. Physically I mean, mostly.

"He's about as tall as a pony, his limbs are longer, his colors are darker, and he even grew wings. And he can use this Force now, like Maul. The Force is-"

"I've seen him use it" Zecora said, taking Twilight by surprise and conveying she could skip the explanation.

The zebra's brows were slightly furrowed, listening intently as Twilight continued.

"I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I am very curious about the ingredients Maul used for the elixir, considering what effect they had. He can't tell me what they were due to his culture and he used up what little he had. He told me it was unlikely Equis had these materials, but I thought if it did-"

"That I could tell you of them or any possible twin."

It wasn't a question, and Twilight confirmed the conclusion with a nod.

Zecora looked down into her tea as if in deep thought.

"Unfortunately, I know not of any natural ingredients with that effect."

"Are you sure?"

Zecora nodded, causing Twilight to look down in disappointment.

"For such a transformation, natural ingredients are not what I'd expect."

This caught Twilight's attention.

"What do you mean?"

"I've only heard of this achieved through magical means. And without enough skill you'd be turned to smithereens.

"Are you certain it was something so simple? Only an elixir tea?"

"That's what Spike and Maul said."

Zecora mulled this over, thinking about what this could mean.

"If any such ingredients exist, then they're unknown to me. It is likely Maul is correct in their absence on Equis. I apologize, Princess, if I seem remiss."

"You don't have to apologize Zecora" Twilight said as she raised a reassuring hoof "It isn't your fault. I just got my hopes up.

"Thank you for the tea. I'm sorry if I wasted your time."

"Not at all Princess" Zecora assured her as she took back the empty cup. As Twilight made for the door, Zecora looked down into the cup and studied the leaves left behind.

"Twilight" Zecora called out just as the alicorn was out the door. She stopped and turned around to come face to face with Zecora, her eyes going wide at how quick she appeared to have moved.

"A zebra like me is quite attuned with certain forces. Nature and auras and such. Things have felt....different, since the arrival of our visitor. And even more so with his continued stay."

Twilight's ears folded back as she noted that Zecora had stopped rhyming. She had never heard her speak out of rhyme.

It was unsettling.

"I have sensed a darkness from him. I am aware he assured us he means no harm, and I believe that. But I also believe his presence and what he's doing with your ward will bring....a change. I'm not sure if this change will be good or bad, perhaps both.

"Take my advice Twilight Sparkle. Keep a close eye on young Spike and your new friend. You must be cautious."

Twilight simply looked back at Zecora with wide, unsure eyes.

"I will Zecora" Twilight said with a nod after a time. She turned around and walked off, rather slowly at first as she considered her friend's words.

Zecora watched her go before looking off in the direction of the Castle of the Two Sisters. She continued to look as if she could see the master and apprentice at that moment.

She narrowed her eyes and reentered her home, an unsure and uneasy feeling of what was to come.


"So what's the lesson for today, master?" Spike asked as he and Maul entered a clearing in the forest. The clearing was surrounded by five large rocks, essentially boulders.

"We are going to take your Force training a step further, apprentice" Maul answered as he turned to face Spike "You have had it easy thus far. Your connection is still weak. And it must be enhanced. Once it is so, you can do so much more."

To illustrate this, Maul lifted his arms, his palms upward. The tell tale whoosh of the Force was heard, and to Spike's amazement, the rocks levitated into the air.

Spike stared at the large stones in awe, barely able to believe he was seeing these heavy objects floating like clouds.

With an exhale that caught Spike's attention, Maul dropped his arms, causing the rocks to fall to the ground with immense thuds.

"And now you shall lift them."

"What?!" Maul's expression didn't change at the exclamation "I....I can't. The heaviest I've been to lift is a stack of books, and that was only four or five! I can't lift anything that big!"

"I thought you had learned size was irrelevant."

"That was with fighting, not lifting things with my mind."

"The same applies. A Force user with a strong enough connection can move mountains. And your connection must be strengthened through practice and facing obstacles head on.

"Lift them."

"Fine" Spike said with a grunt, his eyes narrowed in annoyance. He figured they could come to this another day if he made it clear he wasn't strong enough yet. Though he did want to try a little.

A whoosh sounded as the young dragon stretched out his arms and called on the Force. Immediately, he noted it was difficult to even take hold of all the rocks at once. They all began to twitch on the ground, but it was so little that one would have to look closely to tell.

"Focus."

Yeah, easy for you to say Spike thought as he grit his teeth in frustration. The rocks shifted a bit more, but he was no closer to lifting them. He fixed his thoughts on doing just that and another whoosh was heard as he called on the Force further.

Two of the rocks began to move more than the others. Seeing this, Spike put most of his concentration on them, and they began to lift into the air, albeit very gradually.

"You're annoyed, frustrated, angry. Good, use that. Channel those emotions into the task. It will make you stronger."

Spike released a grunt as he did as instructed, the muscles in his arms tightening even more. The two rocks he had been making progress on lifted higher into the air, about a foot or so.

He held them for about ten seconds, but it was too much for him.

With an exhausted exhale, Spike released his hold on the rocks and dropped to one knee, panting heavily.

"You didn't lift them all."

"Really?" Maul cocked a brow at the remark "I told you.....I can't.....they're too big. Too heavy."

"If you deem yourself incapable then that is precisely what you will be" Maul said as he approached Spike "You have natural strengths that can enhance your connection to the Force, but they never will if you don't believe they can.

"Your emotions are the key, specifically your anger. It is your strongest ally, if you can make it work for you. It is a wellspring you must tap into. And I happen to know an easy way to do just that."

Maul had made his way behind Spike as he was talking and stood a short distance behind him. At the end of his sentence, he reached out a hand in Spike's direction.

The young dragon suddenly jerked back, his eyes going wide as he released a strangled gasp. His entire body was in pain.

"What.....what's happening?" Spike asked in a strained voice.

"Pain is another powerful ally that goes hand in hand with anger, if you make it so. If you don't, then it is a distraction, especially in a fight, where you won't be able to rest and recover.

"If you want it to end, seize control of it, let it fuel your anger so that it may serve you, aid you in completing the task that causes it. Lift the rocks."

Spike had fallen to his hands in his pain and had begun to believe his master crazy with what he was hearing from him. He wanted to object, but given his training so far, he was sure it would be useless.

The pain wasn't especially excruciating, but even moving seemed to make it worse as he raised his head. Maul flexed his fingers, increasing the amount a pain a slight bit, causing Spike to release a pained grunt when he felt it.

He wanted it to stop badly, so he reached out a hand in desperation, calling on the Force again. He couldn't even discern how many of the rocks he now had in his grip, but it didn't matter. He had to continue.

Managing to sit upright on his knees and bring his other arm up, Spike called on his ability even further, registering he was at least taking even a weak hold on all the rocks.

"Focus."

Spike grit his teeth and put on a face of determination, sending out a command for the rocks to move. They twitched again, more so than the first time. After a short second, one appeared to begin to levitate, but only by a few centimeters.

"Channel your anger. It is your strength."

Spike growled as he commanded the rocks to move, but he faltered and the one he barely lifted returning to the ground. He clenched his eyes and put one of his feet to the ground, raising himself up the slightest.

His eyes shot open when he felt strain on the bones connecting his wings to his back, as if they were to be broken in half. He released an exclamation of pain and the movement of the rocks basically stopped.

"Lift them!"

Spike was now furious, at the pain, at himself for being unable to stop it, and at his master for subjecting him to it.

"RRRRAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!" Spike screamed as he clamped his eyes shut, bolted to his feet and shot his arms up.

Maul smiled before dropping his hand, releasing the painful hold he had on his apprentice.

"Well done."

Spike panted as he opened his eyes, unaware of their green glow as he beheld what he had done.

The two rocks he had lifted on his first attempt were hovering high in the air, above even Maul's height. The other rocks floated as well, though not reaching above Spike.

Spike gasped as he released his hold after realizing the pain had ended, falling to his hands and knees in exhaustion, the ground rumbling loudly when the rocks landed.

"A warrior's path is not without pain" Maul said, now standing in front of Spike, his hands behind his back "If you wish to no longer follow this path, you are free to withdraw. Free to leave your training incomplete, to leave yourself incapable of defending yourself and others from threats."

"No."

Maul looked down at Spike questioningly. The young dragon looked up to him, breathing heavily, the vibrant green in his eyes now fading.

"I want to keep going.....I want to be stronger......I want you to teach me. Teach me how to be as powerful as you."

"Very well. We are done for today. You have earned yourself some rest."

Spike reached a hand up, silently asking for help. Maul simply looked at him. Spike knitted his brows and huffed, placing his hands on his knees to raise himself up while Maul began walking back to the speeder.

"You're angry at me."

"....no" Spike responded half confused.

"Don't lie to your master."

"...yes" Spike responded somewhat guiltily.

"Good."

Author's Note:

I know it feels rushed. I said I was gonna do shorter chapters. I'm pretty sure this would've been much longer if I hadn't kept that in mind.

Also, yeah I know I'm ripping off some Dooku stuff from Clone Wars. It gets results! Look at Savage. And Maul's done the heavy lifting thing with Ezra.

If you're thinking this isn't how Maul was acting with Ezra, especially with that last exchange, let me remind you that's many years down the line. Maul at this point is still learning how to get to that kind of guidance. And he would learn in his time here.

If anyone's been reading the new Darth Maul comics, you be quiet. I'm waiting for the trade paperback to come out and I don't want spoilers.