• Published 1st Jun 2016
  • 12,073 Views, 1,139 Comments

Fear Within - VirtualCipher



Twilight and her friends must find Spike and overcome their greatest fears.

  • ...
20
 1,139
 12,073

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4 - A New Friend

The moment Spike was outside he continued to run, closing his eyes with tears forming, he was emotionally hurt, being forgotten by his best friend. Not many ponies took notice to the dragon running, they just ignored him. As he ran further and further away from his home, he had no idea where to go, he just kept running straight. He bumped into a few ponies who just shoved him back. "Watch it!" They said in an angered tone. Spike was stumbling over himself but kept running aimlessly. He ran deep into the heart of the Everfree Forest, unknown to what would await him along with the word 'FORGOTTEN' buzzing in his mind like a bee, tormenting him repeatedly. It was driving him insane, dragging him into the depths of an endless pit filled with insanity and sadness.

Eventually, Spike collapsed onto his knees and resumed crying his eyes out, he was in pain, easily being forgotten.

"Why?" He asked himself. "Why can't you just treat me like a friend instead of an assistant," Spike curled himself up into a ball of depression, hoping to escape the cruel and pitiless world he was suffering in. "Am I easily forgettable?" He sniffled.

The moment Spike shut his eyes, he heard a vicious growl and he could smell something foul. He instantly opened his eyes to see three pairs of eyes glowing green in the dark forest around him. Immediately, Spike began to back himself up from the illuminated eyes, already knowing what they were, the smell coming from their breath was pretty obvious. From out of the darkness three Timberwolves leapt towards him, snarling at their prey as he fell, still backing himself up until he met a boulder blocking his path from escaping. The Timberwolves growled in hunger as they were ready to pounce on their latest meal. Spike curled himself up and closed his eyes, silently cried to himself.

"I'm sorry..." He mumbled.

As Spike accepted the inevitable he heard the wolves howl, but not in the way he was expecting. He looked up and saw the three wooden wolves on the ground, clawing their heads in a painful way. Their eyes were glowing red, and it looked like they were in pain. Two of the Timberwolves got up and began to run while the other one ran into a tree causing it's body parts to disassemble. Spike watched as the Timberwolves fled in terror, uncertain of what had just happened. Was it luck? Spike turned his head to see a shrouded figure hiding under his hood, standing in front of him.

"Ah!" This caused the confused dragon to fall back down and back away from the slender figure. He curled himself up once again, hiding from any sort of pain he was going to bring to him.

"What tortured soul cowers before me?" The figure asked.

Spike looked up and the concealed figure made his way closer towards him, he was no longer in the shadows. The figure knelt down and his face was revealed to be Fright. The stitches, the scars, the ripped mouth knocked Spike sick to the very core of his stomach.

"Wh... who are you?" He asked with anxiety.

"I am no one important, Spike. But you may call me Fright." He replied.

"What? How do you know my name?" Spike interrogated.

"Who wouldn't know the name of the dragon who saved the Crystal Empire?" He praised the frightened dragon.

"Are... are you going to hurt me?" Spike said, still scared by his appearance.

"Hurt you?" Fright gave a small laugh. "Why would I hurt a young and brave dragon like yourself?"

Spike began to stutter. "Well the Timberwolves were going to... and..."

"I did what had to be done, I did what was necessary; saving you."

"What did you do to them?" He asked, curious to know.

"I only gave them a taste of their own personal fears," Fright explained.

"Personal fears? How?"

Fright stood up and offered Spike his hand. "Every living thing in this world has a fear. You only need to learn how to expose it as a weakness. Do you see this syringe around my wrist?"

Spike's eyes analysed the sharp, stomach twisting syringe.

"This allows me to inflict terror into the minds of those who oppose me. You see, dark magic is a pure and efficient source of energy, it's something that I cannot possess, so I manage to manufacture my own type of dark magic, a spell that can make any being hallucinate their worst fears, their devastating nightmares. It usually acts as an aerosol, which I demonstrated with those Timberwolves. But with this syringe, I can directly administer the fear into the bloodstream of my enemies which is just as powerful as inhaling the gas."

Spike offered his hand and he was pulled up, not harshly, but in a rather gentle way. "Thanks." The moment Spike was back on his feet, he began to clear the dirt of his shoulders and body. He looked up at the rather frightening creature that saved him. "Fright? I hope you don't mind me asking, but what happened to your face?"

"My face? Now that's a long story, one that's best saved for later." He told, avoiding the subject. "A better question is how did you end up in the Everfree Forest?"

Spike's facial expression grew into a miserable sulk, his eyes pointed down in sorrow. "I got into an argument with my friend, Twilight."

"Twilight. Twilight Sparkle... the Princess of Friendship, am I correct?" Fright asked, holding his face while thinking.

"Yeah," Spike answered. "Basically, Twilight's been ignoring me when it comes to having fun, she takes her friends and does so many incredible and fun things without me, but she told me that this entire time... the years that we spent together... she's forgot about me," Spike began to choke, rubbing his eyes. "She thinks that I'm just her assistant, nothing more."

"A dragon like you deserves better."

"What?" Spike asked a little bit muddled.

Again, Fright knelt down and was face-to-face with Spike. "A dragon who dedicates most of his time to please others around him deserves someone who cares for him. I'll be your friend, your true friend." He said.

"You mean it?" Spike felt a warm feeling growing inside his heart, feeling happy and content.

"Of course, but you must make a decision." He announced, his face went from becoming calm to looking serious and cold.

"What's that?" Spike asked.

"I can see that you have been hurt, shattered into depression. I can offer you happiness and recognition as well as respect!"

"You can?" Spike said with his hopes being lifted.

"Definitely. I can help you show Twilight that you are more than just an assistant. But of course, you will have to leave Ponyville for a few days."

"What?" Spike asked in disbelief. "I don't want to leave Twilight. This is my home and I love her."

"But does she love you?" Fright spoke.

"Of course Twilight loves me," Spike argued.

"Then why did she forget you on all her adventures, her life-changing journeys? She managed to take her friends, but why not you?"

Spike had no way of arguing back, it was true that he was forgotten by Twilight and probably the rest too.

"Why do I need to leave for a few days?"

Fright began. "Firstly, there isn't a future for you here. Secondly, there isn't anyone who takes you seriously. But if you come with me, to my home, well, I can fix you." He declared. "Twilight Sparkle is the Princess of Friendship, she has Celestia, Luna, and Cadence as contacts. If you were in any trouble or in any sort of harm, well, they'd find you within an instant. They know Equestria like the back of their wings. I'm only asking you to come with me for a few days and then you will be reunited with your so-called friends."

Spike couldn't argue, he didn't want to leave Ponyville with some random stranger he just met. However, he couldn't stand the thought of going back to Twilight. If he does, the whole thing will play out in the exact same way again, he will be, furthermore, neglected.

"So Spike, have you made up your mind?" Fright questioned the pondering dragon who was struggling to think.

Spike gave into his thoughts and responded, his mind made up. "I'll come with you."

"Excellent!" Fright exclaimed, proud of his choice. "You will see Twilight and the rest of Ponyville once we've finished bonding as friends. You will be guaranteed happiness, my young friend."

"Shouldn't I go tell Twilight about all this? She'll be worried sick."

"Do what you wish, however, you do realise that the moment you confront Twilight about this then she'll forbid you from leaving," Fright informed. "You don't want that now do you?"

Spike's voice lowered to a whisper. "No."

"Then come along," Fright said, moving deeper into the dark and eerie forest.

Spike took one last final look at Ponyville. 'I'm sorry Twilight, but I can't live my life being easily forgotten.' He turned back around a followed his new friend deeper into the Everfree Forest.

PreviousChapters Next