• Published 1st Jun 2016
  • 12,069 Views, 1,139 Comments

Fear Within - VirtualCipher



Twilight and her friends must find Spike and overcome their greatest fears.

  • ...
20
 1,139
 12,069

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12 - Secrets

No distractions, no interruptions, no interferences and no diversions stopped Twilight Sparkle from hurrying to her hometown Ponyville. Applejack hurried alongside her while showing no sign of tiredness. Rainbow Dash hovered above them, steadily flapping her wings at the same speed as her friends. Pinkie Pie surprisingly kept up with Applejack, showing that her speed seemed to be no different compared to her's. Either Applejack wasn't trotting fast on purpose or Pinkie Pie smacked herself with sugar to become an energetic road roadrunner. The only sound that was detectable at the moment was the sound of their hooves making contact with the ground as they briskly continued to reach home.


Ponyville

It's been two hours since Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash left Ponyville in search of the Diamond Dogs' camp and now Rarity along with Fluttershy remain in Ponyville as the residents continue to cautiously take their steps. In the Carousel Boutique, Rarity appeared to be working on clothes that took on the appearance of stealth and camouflage and who was the pony fitting them? Fluttershy...

"Aha!" Rarity exclaimed.

On her table, she had neatly crafted a helmet with branches and twigs sticking out. The purpose of this helmet was to blend in with trees. She used her magic to levitate the helmet, surrounding it in a blue aura as she placed it on Fluttershy's head. The helmet appeared to be that low, she couldn't see and her long pink mane wasn't helping either. She gently lifted her hoof to push up her helmet so she could regain her vision. The helmet wasn't the only thing Fluttershy was wearing. Her body was covered in a sage green cloak.

"Umm, Rarity?" Fluttershy spoke, her voice seeming quiet like normal. "Is this really necessary?"

Rarity turned towards her. "Of course, it is, darling. I'm just doing my part to help. It may not seem like much, but I'm only trying to give us a bit of camo if we're ever in danger." She stated.

"Okay then..."

"Um, Fluttershy? Is everything alright?"

"I'm fine. I just feel a little bad."

"Bad?" Rarity asked, a bit baffled. "Feel bad about what?"

"Well, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Rainbow Dash are out trying to track down information on finding Spike. I should be helping them, but instead, I chose not to, all because of my fear of dragons."

"Fluttershy, dear, your fear got in the way and we all understand that you're frightened of dragons. You have no right to feel bad, you made a choice and you stuck by it. If anything, I should be the one that feels bad..."

"Because you didn't go?" Fluttershy assumed.

"Yes. I keep worrying about what will happen to my mane or tail, and I need to put a stop to that! But I mainly feel bad because it's partially my fault that Spike's in this predicament. He ran away because he was hurt. This entire time since he's been here, I've only seemed to have torn his heart apart. I used his feelings just so I could get work out of him. You've seen how he carries all of my luggage; you've seen how he does everything I say without question; you've seen how loyal and obedient he can be. He was always generous to me, no matter what item he cherished, he gave it to me if I asked. I showed him nothing in return and he kept admiring me, even when I talked about other stallions he would motivate me. When Twilight told me he was mad because I was taking advantage of him... I felt like a monster. I repeatedly used him and forgot he had feelings. Poor Spike... I miss him ever so dearly." She said, turning her attention to her desk and there lied the heart shaped fire ruby.

Fluttershy took in Rarity's words, hearing out the troubled mare. She responded. "I miss him too, Rarity. I never meant to neglect him, I made him feel useless, but when really... I'm the one that's useless."

Rarity was stunned by her response. "Fluttershy!" By her sudden tone, it appeared to have made the pegasus feel threatened. She quickly changed the tone of her voice to not frighten her any further. She spoke softly. "You're not useless, what caused you to think of such a horrid thing?"

"Well, Twilight along with our other friends are carrying out Celestia's assignment, you're here crafting items for the benefit of our safety. All I've done is shown fear and it's my fault that Twilight nearly lost her life in Manehatten and- Eep!" She yipped, hiding behind her long mane again like a tortoise retracting its body back into its shell.

Rarity's ears perked upwards and her interest increased. "Darling, what do you mean it's your fault that Twilight nearly lost her life?"

She quietly began to whisper as her voice shaken. "Forget what I said, it's nothing!"

"It's clearly something if it's turned you in a frightened state, and if I recollect, it was Fright's fear spell that did that horrific work." She said with disgust.

"No... before that." She informed.

"What are you talking about?" Rarity asked.

Fluttershy slowly trembled with her words spilling. "C-can you keep a secret?"

Delightfully, Rarity answered. "Of course, darling. Whatever you need to say I will keep it between me and you. No pony else will know."

Fluttershy grew hesitant, resisting the words that were almost spilling out of her mouth. Finally, she battled her mouth open and spoke her secret. "I let Fright escape..."

The only response Fluttershy got was a few blinks from her, looking rather confused too until she responded with actual words. "I beg your pardon, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy seemed a little threatened by Rarity's reply, despite the fact that it sounded caring and gentle. She began to stutter again.

"B-back in Manehatten. When Fright told us he had Spike... When Shining Armour threw him and turned his attention towards Twilight. I-I... I saw him get back up... I could have done something, I could have alerted you, our friends. I could have told Twilight that he was standing, but... He looked right at me... He smiled at me... Through those stitches, I could see terror. I could have alerted you all, but I was scared. His eyes told me not to and, and... It's my fault that he escaped!" She sniffled. "I could have done something... but I was scared..."

"Fluttershy..." Rarity approached. "According to Celestia, that monster is a fear bringer. We were all scared and none of us were paying attention to him."

"But I was..." Fluttershy interrupted.

"And you were scared. You were overcome with trepidation which is what Fright wanted. He had us panicking while he ran. If anything, we should have been more observant like you were. Please Fluttershy, don't let your mind be plagued with guilt thinking it was your fault Twilight was exposed to Fright's fear spell. We have done everything in our power to try and set things right, from trying to find Spike to stopping all those ruffians in Manehatten. You're always helpful because you're always at our side and that's what friends do."

In response, Fluttershy smiled. She needed to hear that. "Thanks... Umm, Rarity, could we keep this between me and you?"

"Fluttershy, my dear, I promise I will keep my lips sealed. You can trust me," Rarity said with a trustworthy smile.

As the conversation between the unicorn and the pegasus cleared up, a knock was heard at the door which startled them both.

"Oh, I wonder who that could be?" Rarity wondered.

She forged her way to the front door, ready to open it. However, her contact with opening the door with her magic was cut off as Rainbow Dash barged through and flew directly into Fluttershy causing them to collide. They were now both on the floor, eyes spinning as Rainbow Dash knocked into her. Dizzy and light, Rainbow Dash shook her head and looked down at Fluttershy who appeared to be stunned.

"Oh, heh, sorry Flutters," Rainbow Dash apologised, getting off of Fluttershy.

"Rainbow Dash?" Rarity greeted in a confused tone.

Not long after, Twilight came into the store as did Pinkie Pie and Applejack. They took notice to Rainbow Dash's action which resulted in paralysing Fluttershy.

Rarity took notice to her friends as they entered. "You're all back!" She said in glee. "Are you all alright? Those vicious creatures didn't hurt you, did they?"

"We're fine, Rarity," Applejack confirmed.

As Rarity took notice to the three of her friends, Rainbow Dash helped up Fluttershy, getting her back on her hooves.

"What happened?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well, it's a long story-" Already, Twilight was cut off by Pinki Pie who gasped in excitement, ready to brief both Rarity and Fluttershy on what happened.

"First, we transformed into Diamond Dogs, and then we slipped past their guards and heard a conversation between the Diamond Dogs' leaders and three teenage dragons, Garble and two other meanies. We heard that they are advancing in armour and weapons such as crossbows and then we heard that Fright was going to make a spooky announcement involving Spike and then Twilight snapped and attacked them and managed to make one of the Diamond Dog leaders spill the beans and now we know Fright has a hideout in the Crystal Mountains, but then we were caught and Princess Luna saved us!"

"How did Princess Luna-"

"I'm not finished!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. "Then Garble was all mad and burnt down the camp with us in it! We tried to escape, but another Diamond Dog tackled Applejack and then Luna went back for her and put the dog into a deep sleep, and now she took to Canterlot as a prisoner because she believes she can get information out of him!" She finished, finally making contact with the air she inhaled.

Rarity and Fluttershy seemed a confused. They just stared at the hyperactive pink pony breath immensely. They had listened to every word that had been forced out of her mouth, but just so much had occurred in their absence. After, Twilight stepped in and filled them both in with more detail on what happened and carefully explaining the situation that they were now in. Once Twilight informed the two on Fright's announcement for tonight, Rarity was in for a shock knowing that it involved Spike.

"So you're saying that Fright plans on breaking us with fear tonight?" Rarity said, her voice quivering a little. "And it's involving our little Spikey-Wikey..."

"I'm afraid so," Twilight answered.

The fear Rarity felt was consumed with anger. "If he even picks a scale off his head I'm going to show him what's it's like to be afraid!" She growled.

Fluttershy spoke. "And Princess Luna is holding a prisoner for interrogation?"

"Correct!"

"Again, why?" Rarity asked, finishing Fluttershy's question.

Again, Twilight answered. "Princess Luna believes that the Diamond Dog leader has been well informed of Fright and Chrysalis's plan. If they make him spit out the information we need, then we'll be a step ahead. We may even get to know the next part of his plan and what they were talking about when they mentioned 'breakout.'

"But won't they come looking for him?" Fluttershy asked with a nervous tone.

"C'mon Flutters," Rainbow Dash enlightened. "No one is stupid enough to attack Canterlot, and besides, they're Diamond Dogs and dragons along with a psycho, a horde of changeling. They don't care."

"If he holds important information... well..."

Applejack intruded. "Look! What Luna's doin' is under control, they're in Canterlot which is heavily secured like the Crystal Empire, I mean, can ya see that bubble shield surrounding the whole city?"

"Applejack's right," Twilight said. "My brother's magic along with the strength of other unicorns will keep Canterlot secure, and that will surely block any threats from entering."

"But what about Fright's announcement?" Pinkie Pie brought up.

The six were brought up with the fact that Fright did have something planned and it was involving a friend in need.

"Girls," Twilight spoke. "Whatever happens tonight, we have to be prepared. Who knows what sick, twisted game Fright has for us, but we need to stay focused and aware. We cannot show fear."

The girls nod their heads in agreement with the Princess of Friendship.

"Very well. Pack what you need, we're going to Canterlot!" She stated.

"AW COME ON!" A voice called out. "Again!"

The six turned their heads to see Rarity's younger sister, Sweetie Belle who didn't look happy. Behind her, she was accompanied by Scootaloo and Applebloom and they appeared to have come over to Rarity's house during Twilight's absence with the Diamond Dogs and dragons.

"Oh, Sweetie Belle," Rarity greeted with a confused manner, she appeared to have forgotten her younger sister was still in the building along with her two friends. "Is everything alright?"

"You're going to Canterlot again?" Applebloom asked, mainly towards her sister. "This is the second time you're going!" She whined.

"Well, sis, it's pretty important on what we're all doin' here," Applejack explained. "Ah mean, we're tryin' to find Spike."

"But we're his friends too." Scootaloo reminded. "Why can't we come and help?"

Applejack shook her head and turned down the fillies. "Uh-uh, no way!"

Twilight stepped in and approached the three fillies. "Girls, your devotion to Spike is really noble and kind, and I thank you for wanting to help but this is serious business."

"Of course, it's serious business!" Applebloom exclaimed. "Spike's our friend too and all we want is to help."

"Again, I'm proud of you three for wanting to help, but this may put you in danger," Twilight said.

"But-" Applebloom spoke.

"No buts and that's final! Ah'm sorry Applebloom, but ah think this is for the best," Applejack declared.

"She has got a point Sweetie," Rarity backed up. "This is dangerous."

"Yeah, sorry Scoots," Rainbow Dash added.

The three fillies sulked as their response to their rejections. "C'mon girls," Sweetie Belle said as she trotted back upstairs with Scootaloo and Applebloom following her.

With the room emptied of the fillies, Twilight and her friends remained in their exact places. Quickly, Twilight got back on topic. "Girls," Twilight announced. "Pack what you need because Canterlot awaits us."

PreviousChapters Next