• Published 1st Jun 2016
  • 12,049 Views, 1,139 Comments

Fear Within - VirtualCipher



Twilight and her friends must find Spike and overcome their greatest fears.

  • ...
20
 1,139
 12,049

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7 - Nightmares

Darkness.

Darkness was the only thing Twilight could see, hearing her own breath and the steps she was cautiously taking as she tried to take in what was going on. She began to aimlessly wander around the endless, unlightened void. She was clueless and scared, wondering how she got here in the first place. At first she thought she was blind but she used her magic to illuminate her horn to act as a light; a torch that stands out from the dark. As her horn gleamed and twinkled, the darkness faded a little which was enough for Twilight to take in her surroundings, easily recognising where she was without any trouble or doubts. She was in one of the corridors of Canterlot's castle, but why was it so dark? She appeared to be alone.

"Hello?" She called out, hoping to reach contact with anypony. "Princess Celestia?" Again, she called out in hopes of hearing her delicate and calm voice. "Is anypony here?"

Twilight continued to cautiously move around the castle but stopping dead in her tracks the moment she heard what appeared to be sobbing. This made the frightened alicorn anxious and tense, on the brink of freaking out. She slowly advanced towards the sound of distress until she entered the throne room, her eyes widening on what she was seeing, her heart pumping to a point where it would fall endlessly into her stomach. The centre of the throne room was brightened by a spotlight above and there laid in the centre of the throne room was her dedicated and young, loving dragon assistant who had curled himself up into a ball as he laid there crying.

"Sp... Spike?"

Twilight couldn't believe her eyes, it had been ages since she had seen Spike. Was this an illusion? A mirage? This all felt so real. Continuing, Spike was curled up, crying with his back faced towards her. Sympathy began to run through her body, clouded with guilt. She slowly proceeded towards him. Twilight finally approached the mewling dragon.

"I'm... so sorry." She said, gently lifting her hoof to calm him.

Before she could even touch him, Spike quickly turned around and let out a disturbing scream at her. It wasn't Spike, his face was replaced with Fright's. Twilight quickly fell and screamed in horror by what she was looking at. Spider-like arms that ended with needles stuck out of his scaled back, towering over her as his eyes glowed red with vengeance on his mind.

"All these years I was nothing to you! I did everything to please you and you used me, neglected me and hurt me. I loved you and you forgot me!" Spike shouted in a very abhorrent tone. "It's because of you I'm a monster, the fears I had to deal with were my suffering!"

Twilight began to back away, her eyes still attracted to the disfigured dragon.

"I'm... I'm sorry..." She began to feel tears within her eyes.

He was about to strike but a light shined from within the distance of the castle's halls. The horrid creature instantly vaporised the moment the light hit him. Twilight flinched, causing herself to curl up in dread. A few seconds later, she reawakened and took in her new surroundings. Instead of a dark and endless void, it was white. Before her was Princess Luna, standing tall. This entire experience was nothing more than a dream, however, it was more like a nightmare and horrible one, too.

"Princess Luna?" Twilight recognised, panting for air.

"Twilight Sparkle, art thou alright?" Luna concerned for the frightened alicorn.

"I'm fine." She sighed, slowly getting back up on her hooves. "This... this was all a dream wasn't it?"

"More like a nightmare."

Twilight pushed her head down, closing her eyes as she tried to remove that frightening and horrible face from her mind.

Luna continued. "It's been four months since Spike's disappearance and I believe that you're still worried about him, aren't you?"

Twilight looked back up and spoke. "Yes. I've known Spike since I was a filly and we were such good friends... He mentioned that when we arrived in Ponyville I began to push him away when it came to fun and I only relied on him for work and he was right. The moment I told him I forgot him, it tore him apart. It was my fault he ran away and now he's... I don't know, I try my best not to think about where he is now..."

"It is logical to have such cruel nightmares when you're worried about someone you deeply cared for and you're worried about tomorrow am I correct?"

Twilight gave a simple nod. "Spike leaving and this whole invasion with Fright and the changelings is all just too much to take up. I just wish Spike was here."

"We all miss him Twilight, but you can't keep blaming yourself for his disappearance." Luna gently lifted a hoof towards Twilight's chest. "It wasn't your fault."

"But it was! I used him for my own needs and what did I do for him in return? Nothing. I forgot him, I'm supposed to represent friendship and I couldn't even treat Spike like a friend." Twilight stuttered, quivering her bottom lip a little, she could feel herself being dropped into a pit of depression. "Do you think he'll come back?"

"I don't know, but Spike is smart and brave, he will come to his senses and realise that it wasn't your intentions to hurt him. You have to stay strong. Tomorrow is going to be a long day and you need all the rest you can get. Until tomorrow, Twilight Sparkle. May you sleep well."

"Thank you, Luna."


Manehatten

The metropolitan city had never looked so grim before. The streets were emptied, desolate of life. Looking at it now is miserable. All of Manehatten's ponies evacuated because of vile threats from a psycho. With the city vacant, three voices could be heard snickering within the alleyway.

"I can't believe Fright I actually managed to pull this off." Spoke an infuriating voice, easily recognised to be Spot's.

"Look at this place!" Rover said in astonishment. "We're now in control of Manehatten, with no authorities around, we can do what we want!"

"What do we do now?" Fido asked.

"Simple you idiot. Let's go looting for anything shiny before Fright makes this place a nightmare." Rover's eyes glimmered just by thinking of how many gems could be within this area.

The three dogs went on to break into buildings and steal anything that was worth value to them. As time passed more and more of the Diamond Dog's guards started to cause havoc on the streets, breaking property and damaging buildings just to steal anything valuable. Above them watched Chrysalis, she stood tall on top of a building as she silently judged the dogs, hating them even more compared to ponies. This alliance she had to deal with was making her blood boil, putting up with ponies, dragons and dogs. But Fright. Fright was making her tick with anger like a bomb, she couldn't stand him. She constantly had to put up with fear this and fear that. Suddenly, his voice was heard creeping over her, causing her ears to twitch. She turned around to see Fright approaching her.

"Beautiful isn't it? A city emptied of authority and now we are in control all because of a few threats and a mere example of our power."

Chrysalis scowled. "Spare me the chit-chat, why did you want to speak with me?"

Fright responded with a stern look while interlacing his fingers together. "It concerns me that tomorrow night is going to be Manehatten's last stand which means Celestia will not go down without a fight. She'll be sending her six little pets to try and prevent our plan from succeeding, we cannot allow that to happen so we must prepare ourselves. The Diamond Dogs along with their guards have agreed to sweep the streets as well as every alley this city holds. And now all I ask of you is to ready your changelings, they can monitor the city's rooftops."

"You're a fool to think that I'm going to listen to your commands, ordering my changelings for your pathetic plan."

"Do you want revenge? Do you want to taste victory or do you prefer to be known as a failure that will constantly lose?"

Upon hearing this, Chrysalis frowned at his disfigured face.

"Chrysalis, you're strong, powerful and smart. The changelings you have under your command are obedient and faithful, they will do anything you tell them which makes you superior. The Diamond Dogs and the others are just our enablers, but you are something more, a key to the door that blocks our victory. Alert your soldiers and assign them to their posts and if all goes to plan, tomorrow night will be simple."


Canterlot

The sun rises once more, producing beams of light shining through the windows of Canterlot. There laid a wake Twilight Sparkle, still somewhat traumatised by last night's nightmare. Her eyes darted upwards, staring blankly at the ceiling. A knock was heard on her front door which dragged her back to reality.

"Come in."

The door opened and revealed Applejack.

"Sugarcube? Breakfast is ready."

"Thanks, Applejack," Twilight responded.

"Is everything alright?"

Twilight did her best to create a smile. "Everything's fine."

Applejack gave a stern look. "Twilight, I know you're lying."

Twilight blinked and let out a sigh. "Last night I had a dream, a nightmare and it was quite horrifying. It'd be best if I didn't go into detail."

"You're not the only one having nightmares. Fluttershy's been a little anxious about the whole Manehatten incident."

"Tonight is going to be dangerous, but we need to put a stop to this madness. Applejack, could you keep an eye on Fluttershy. I can't have anypony getting hurt, especially not her. She's too fragile."

"Of course, Twi. Now come on, everypony is waiting for us."

"I'll be right behind you."

Applejack left the room, leaving Twilight alone. Twilight looked out the window, staring at Celestia's sun. She didn't realise how grateful she was for gazing upon such beauty. Something lifted her, she smiled at the thought of Spike looking at the exact same thing she was.

Promptly, Twilight left her room as it was, not a single item was out of place and the bed was properly made with the sheets being tucked in, it looked new and untouched. As Twilight left her room, she descended down the castle's stairs and into the dining room where she saw her five friends gathered around a circular table where they were served breakfast. Each meal that was served before them were looking palatable and exquisite, however, despite the fact on how the food looked marvellous, not one bit did Twilight feel hungry. The feeling of hunger within her stomach showed no signs of normality, it was as if her stomach had just disappeared, leaving her to be empty of feeling delight and hungry.

While Twilight sat down with her five friends, Shining Armour and Princess Celestia along with Luna were nowhere to be seen. It appeared that Twilight was the only one who took notice of their presence. When she sat down, she stared blankly at her breakfast and not even feeling hungry. Her eyes felt empty with every moment she stared at her food, it almost felt as if her food was staring back at her. Twilight wasn't the only one who wasn't eating, but Fluttershy barely acknowledged her plate, she sighed and began to drift off, pondering the thoughts that went on in her mind.

With Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash enjoying their breakfast with such heavenly taste, Pinkie Pie greeted her alicorn friend with such enthusiasm and delight.

"Morning Twilight!" Pinkie Pie greeted as she enjoyed every little bit of her morning meal.

Despite her keenness, Twilight failed to acknowledge her, she appeared to be drifting off into space with thoughts swelling up in her head. Finally, it appeared that Rarity took notice to Princess Celestia not being present around them which lead up to her question, raising everpony's heads.

"Where's Princess Celestia?" Rarity questioned.

A servant came up to the table and placed a basket of bread into the centre, overhearing Rarity's question. "The princess has isolated herself in her study room, wishing to speak to the prince of the Crystal Empire alone."

"That's odd." Rainbow Dash commented.

"Indeed." The servant replied and then exiting the dining room.

Applejack's focus was on Twilight and Fluttershy, she was worried about them. They seemed blank like a white canvas with no creativity splashed onto its space of emptiness.

"Is everythin' alright Fluttershy?" She asked.

Fluttershy snapped out of her state of wonder and acknowledged her friend. "Oh, I'm fine Applejack." She lied, which Applejack could sense.

Already, Applejack knew the reason why Fluttershy was being quiet and antisocial, it was because she was frightened of what would happen when the night falls. She was scared because she didn't want to set a single foot in Manehatten and become a victim of that fear spell like those in the theatre.

"And what about you, Twilight?"

Twilight didn't respond, the look on her face expressed a feeling of concentration. She began to absorb the nightmare she had last night, remembering every word that Spike had said to her. She felt her soul being plagued with sadness; tainted with misery and grief. 'All these years I was nothing to you! I did everything to please you and you used me, neglected me and hurt me. I loved you and you forgot me! It's because of you I'm a monster, the fears I had to deal with were my suffering!' She continued to look back on every moment of her life as she was accompanied with Spike. From the moment she came into the wondrous town of Ponyville, she started to look back on how she treated him, hearing his voice bend the routes of her mind.

"Twilight?" Applejack spoke again, her eyes raising a little as well.

Twilight didn't respond.

By now, Twilight became the hub of her friend's attention as they grew a little worried by the way she was acting, not acknowledging her friends as she ignored their words, blocking them with thoughts.

Rainbow Dash backed up Applejack. "Yo, Twilight?"

There was still no response.

"Twilight? Darling?" Rarity delivered her words with a worried tone.

Shortly, Pinkie Pie followed. "Twilight? Anypony home?"

Still no answer. Finally, Fluttershy grew concerned for Twilight and spoke.

"Twilight? Are you al-"

"I'M FINE SPIKE!"

Fluttershy flinched by her sudden outburst as did everypony else, leaving them shocked. They were also taken back by the name of her assistant. Next, silence. Just pure silence as they analysed Twilight's face overcome with anger which was quickly transformed into somber. The dining room's atmosphere was now surrounded with particles of melancholy.

Twilight let her head sink down. "I'm... I'm sorry."

Before anypony could respond to Twilight's apology, Shining Armour burst through the doors with Princess Celestia following him.

"Princess?"

"Bad news everypony." Shining Armour stated. "But it appears that the Diamond Dogs are helping Fright."

"What?" Twilight asked in disbelief.

"Last night, Luna's guards went out scouting and came out with valuable information about Manehatten. The Diamond Dogs, as well as their guards, have been seen thieving and the changelings are using the rooftops as watch towers. It's impossible to get in." Celestia informed.

"Can't we just use Twilight's magic to teleport in there?" Pinkie Pie said.

"Using Twilight's teleportation spell could mean you'll end up anywhere in Manehatten. By the time you realise where you are, you'll be ambushed."

"Well, what do we do?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Shining Armour stepped up. "There is one way to get in, but none of you are going to like it."

"I think we can handle it." Rainbow Dash confirmed, showing a confident smile.

...

"THE SEWERS!" Rarity bellowed in disbelief, she was that shocked she could feel herself beginning to faint.

After breakfast was finished, the mane six along with Shining Armour went to the castle's library section to discuss their attack to stop the destruction of Manehatten. Rarity was horrified to learn that she would have to take the sewers to get into Manehatten. The others were just as disgusted as Rarity was, but they were determined to put a stop to Fright's plan.

"I'm sorry Rarity, but this is the only way," Shining Armour said with regret.

"A lady should not visit such a place filled with disgust," Rarity complained.

"Quit your whining Rarity!" Applejack barked. "Am just as mad as you are, but Manehatten is on its way to being flooded in fear."

Rarity sighed. "You're right. Please Shining Armour, continue."

"Right." Shining Armour laid down a map of Manehatten onto the table they were gathered around. "Here's a map of Manehatten. From what Luna's guards reported last night, the changelings are going to be positioned on the rooftops. The Diamond Dogs along with their guards will be watching the streets. Furthermore, Luna's guards also witnessed Fright in Times Square. He was seen with two identical ponies known as Flim and Flam and they appear to be helping him."

Applejack was scandalised hearing about Flim and Flam being a part of Manehatten's attack. "What on earth are those two filthy swindlers doing helping the changelings?!" She growled.

"I don't know, but they were seen planting an odd looking contraption in Times Square. We have word that it's a bomb."

"A bomb?" Fluttershy whimpered.

"I thought Fright was going to engulf Manehatten with his crazy voodoo, not blow it up!" Pinkie Pie cried.

"He is. The bomb has four canisters attached to it. It's been filled with fear that can act as an aerosol. When the bomb detonates, Fright's spell is going to spread through Manehatten, leaving it to be a wasteland."

"So what's the plan?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"First of all, will need to take the train to the outskirts of Manehatten. Once we arrive at the outskirts of Manehatten we will rendezvous with Princess Luna who will be waiting with reinforcements to drive out those vandals once we defuse Flim and Flam's contraption. If we enter the city like normal, will easily be spotted by the changelings and the Diamond Dogs which is why we must, unfortunately, enter through the sewers."

Rarity's face was once again met with revulsion just by thinking of the sewers.

"If we follow the route correctly we will arrive just below the theatre which is likely to be isolated due to the attack. When we submerge from the sewers, we will take refuge in the theatre, the place where it all began. Always be prepared. We must take out any threats quietly. Understood?"

"Ya hear that Rainbow Dash? Quietly," Applejack mocked.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Rainbow Dash angrily scowled at the cowgirl.

"Focus!" Shining Armor howled. "The theatre is within the area Times Square. When we see Fright preparing his little bomb will have to hide in the shadows or behind any objects, we can't risk getting caught when we're so close."

"What happens next?" Rainbow Dash questioned.

"Before he arms the bomb, we will have to quickly attack. Once we make our move, will need to carefully disarm the bomb. This is likely going to alert the changelings and Diamond Dogs so Twilight is going to have to teleport us all out of there along with Fright apprehended. Do you think you can handle that Twily?"

There was no answer. All eyes darted towards Twilight, again, she was lost in thought.

"Twily?"

Her mind switched back on as if it was a light switch. "Huh? Sorry, what?"

"Once the bomb is deactivated, we're going to need you to use your teleportation spell to get us out of there. Can you handle that?"

"Of course!" Twilight confirmed.

"Excellent! With the bomb defused, Princess Luna can move in with her soldiers and we can drive those vandals out of the city and peace can be restored."

"This is going to be awesome!" Rainbow Dash squealed in anticipation.

Once the briefing ended, the girls took off to grab something to eat, arriving at Restaurant Row, heading to The Tasty Treat where they would meet Saffron Masala and Coriander Cumin who delightedly served them their finest dish. Worth to mention: The restaurant had been packed with lots of customers thanks to the terrific job done by Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow Dash wouldn't stop going on about how awesome she was going to be when infiltrating Manehatten and Rarity was still whining about how her fur was going to get wet or ruined when entering the sewers, the rest were just as disgusted by this as well, but Rarity was devastated more than anypony. As the six began to eat their food served by Saffron and Coriander, Applejack noticed Twilight was lost in thought again, almost looking as if she was in a trance.

"Twilight?" Applejack spoke, causing the alicorn to break free from her trance.

She simply looked up from the table they have sat around, she didn't bother to stretch a smile, she wasn't sulking. Her facial expression was neutral.

"About this morning," Applejack was interrupted, by Rainbow Dash, finishing her sentence.

"Do you want to tell us what it was about?"

Twilight looked down in sadness. "I'm sorry for yelling at you girls. Last night I just had an odd dream about Spike, it turned into a nightmare fast. When waking up, I never actually realised how much of an impact he had on my life. He was my number one assistant, my best friend. However, I never actually treated him as if he was my friend. Sometimes I wonder if I actually am a good friend."

"How dare you say something like that Twilight!"

Everypony looked towards Fluttershy who looked disappointed in Twilight.

"What?"

"How dare you say you're not a good friend. You united us from the beginning, you saved Equestria many times. We've managed to solve the worst things that doubted us. All because of you."

"Fluttershy's right, darling," Rarity spoke. "It had been you who predicted the return of Nightmare Moon, you brought us back from our horrendous, opposite selves to stop Discord."

"But most importantly, you trusted your thoughts and brought down Queen Chrysalis. Even though we abandoned you like a bunch of meanies," Pinkie Pie said sadly.

"And you managed to kick Lord Tirek's flank. Anypony would be lucky to have you as a friend," Rainbow Dash stated with care.

From what she had heard, Twilight smiled, a smile that was genuine and came from the heart. "You girls really mean that?"

"Of course, we do Twilight," Rarity said.

"Spike had a huge impact on all of us, but ya can't keep blamin' yourself for him runnin' away. We all took a part in hurtin' him and we can't forgive ourselves for that," Applejack said. "I know it hurts sugarcube, but it's like you said; Spike's gone and we need to accept that. All we can do now is wish he's living the life he chose and one day he'll come back."

Twilight smiled. The pain that she had felt within her heart began to ease, numbing away the dread that she felt. "Thank you, girls." She thanked her friends around the table.

PreviousChapters Next