• Published 1st Jun 2016
  • 12,050 Views, 1,139 Comments

Fear Within - VirtualCipher



Twilight and her friends must find Spike and overcome their greatest fears.

  • ...
20
 1,139
 12,050

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5 - Guilt

"SPIKE WAIT!"

The moment Twilight managed to make her way outside, Spike was nowhere to be seen, he vanished without a trace. Twilight began to look around frantically, analysing her surroundings, but she could only see ponies walking along, going on about their day. She noticed Lyra and Bon Bon sitting on a bench together. She zoomed towards them both as fast as Rainbow Dash.

"Have you two seen Spike?" She said, panicking.

The two just looked at each other and shook their heads. They weren't the only two that failed to give information about Spike's whereabouts, no one seemed to know where he went. An hour passed and Twilight was still looking for Spike, but she eventually began to lose hope, he was nowhere in Ponyville which means that he was long gone. Twilight stopped dead in her tracks as she remembered Spike's heartbroken face, his eyes filled with gloom as every tear spilt, all she could think about was how she hurt him, how she destroyed his feelings. Her eyes began to water, filling with tears.

"This is my fault... He was right... I never saw him as a friend..."

She laid down on the dirt covered ground. "What have I done?" She asked herself. As time passed, grey clouds began to form, swirling and forming a pattern of sadness, flooding over the afternoon blue sky. It began to rain, but she didn't care, all she cared about was seeing Spike. It wasn't long before she got up and went to her castle, still miserable from the events this morning. From there, Twilight stayed locked in her room for the entire day.


Two Days Later...

Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie were walking along the streets of Ponyville, it was a day like any other, the residents of Ponyville were going on about their day too. The cutie mark crusaders were playing, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon joined in as well, they've become very good friends ever since Diamond Tiara stood up to her mother. Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash couldn't have been prouder of the former Cutie Mark Crusaders: Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo after gaining their cutie marks. It seemed that everypony was happy.

"Where the hay was Twilight yesterday?" Rainbow Dash asked her fellow friends as she was flying above their heads.

"Ah ain't too sure," Applejack said.

"I thought she said she was going to meet us at Sugarcube Corner this morning, then head to the train station to visit Canterlot?" Rarity spoke out her thoughts.

"Maybe she forgot..." Fluttershy spoke.

"Twilight wouldn't forget, the egghead's always got a schedule to make her remember," Rainbow stated.

"Ormaybeshe'sgoinginsaneandlockedherselfinhercastleslowlylosinghermindbecausewedidn'tcheckuponhersooner!" Pinkie Pie said without taking a breather. Everypony just looked at her, confused to what she had just said. "What? It was only a thought."

"Maybe we should check on her," Applejack suggested.

When the five mares reached the towering and bright castle, Rainbow Dash found herself to be the one knocking on Twilight's door, however, to everypony's surprise, the main double doors were unlocked, they slowly began to open the moment Rainbow placed her hoof while knocking. "That's odd." She said.

Quietly walking in, all mares scanned around the castle's hall entrance. It seemed to be getting bigger and more spacious every day. The stained glass windows gave an effect of beauty, it was fantastic to gaze upon the patterned windows to see what the five mares had accomplished along with Twilight.

"Twilight?!" Pinkie Pie called out. "We're here to check if you're insane!"

"Quiet down Pinkie!" Rarity demanded.

They continued along the halls only to find the rooms emptied of life, it was like a graveyard. The five mares continued their search only to reach the throne room and that's where they saw Twilight, slumped over with head on the table, sleeping stressfully.

"Twilight?" Applejack approached.

Twilight's eyes instantly shot open like a bullet speeding by. She turned to see her friends standing beside her. "What are you girls doing here?"

"We came to check up on you darling," Rarity said. "We didn't see you all day yesterday."

"We thought you might of went coo-coo," Pinkie Pie said, impersonating an insane pony in the mad house.

"Are you alright, sugarcube?" Applejack seemed a little concerned for the lavender alicorn, especially due to the fact that her eyes were bloodshot. Also, she looked as if she had been crying.

"I... I..." Twilight didn't know where to start.

"Umm, Twilight, where's Spike?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight's heart skipped a beat. She closed her eyes and began to sniffle, tears could be seen.

"Sugarcube? What's wrong?" Applejack grew a worried expression. The rest were worried as Applejack.

Twilight gave in, she burst out into tears; crying like mad. "I yelled at Spike and he was upset, I was being cruel and selfish to him, he was telling me about how he's been alone, neglected and bullied and I didn't take any notice because I was too busy having fun while he was being ignored. I told him I forgot him... and... and... that face... his eyes... he was destroyed with misery and I just stood there... he ran away and I don't know where he went and... and..."

Applejack pulled Twilight towards her, giving her a hug. "Shh. Calm down, Twilight. Relax."

Twilight just silently resumed sobbing to herself.

The others were just looking at her, devastated by her sudden outburst. Applejack slowly pulled Twilight away from her. "Now Twilight. Ah'm gonna need you to repeat what you said, but, this time, ah'm gonna need you to slow down, okay?"

Twilight just nodded, wiping the tears produced from her sadness.

Rarity walked up to the distressed mare and used her magic to hand Twilight a tissue. "Now Twilight, darling, calmly explain what happened?"

Twilight wiped her tears and began to calm down. "Well, two days ago I had an argument with Spike because he accidently burnt a book that shared my memories with you, my family and the princesses. He noticed that there was rarely any photos of him, he was missing out and I foolishly denied that he was lonely. He was hurt, I was being insensitive and he was angry, he told me how all of us treated him wrong."

"Us?!" Rainbow yelled. "What did we do?"

"He claimed that we all neglected him, we didn't invite him to do anything with us. There was the Cloudsdale competition, my birthday, and the Equestria Games tryouts." Twilight choked up a little. "He told me about how he was feeling useless, how he was turned down by Fluttershy and Applejack."

Applejack and Fluttershy turned to each other, looking a bit guilty. "We never meant to hurt him, it wasn't our intentions to make him feel useless," Applejack explained while Fluttershy looked as if she deserved the blame.

"He went on about how he was being targeted by your pranks," Twilight turned to Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. "He said they weren't funny, they were just hurtful."

Pinkie's hair deflated in sadness. "Our pranks were hurting him?"

"Hold up!" Rainbow ordered. "Our pranks were hurting him? That's nonsense!" She said in anger.

Twilight continued. "He was fed up with the way you were treating him, making fun of him because he didn't act like other dragons."

Rainbow Dash's face sank from anger to guilt. "Okay, maybe I went a little too far when it came to mocking his appearance."

Twilight then turned to Rarity, she already looked guilty, the look of grief in her eyes. "His feelings for you have always been true, he was mad because you were taking advantage of him." This caused Rarity to look down upon herself, heartbroken for the dragon. Everything Twilight said was true, she was using him as a puppet; a slave and she was the queen.

"And I was the worst. He spent all this time cleaning up after my messes while I was having fun. I told him I forgot about him... his face... he was heartbroken, he ran away and I don't where he is..." Again, Twilight began to produce a stream of tears. "I don't know what to do... I'm scared..."

The throne room was an assembly of guilt, a graveyard had more cheer than Twilight's castle. Everypony hung their heads in shame, were they really that cruel to Spike?

Fluttershy walked up to the crying alicorn. "We'll find him..."

Twilight wiped her tears. "What?"

Rainbow Dash backed up Fluttershy. "Yeah! we'll find the tough, little guy."

"And afterwards, we can throw him a WE'RE SORRY PARTY!" Pinkie cheered.

"You're not alone on this one Twilight," Applejack spoke.

Twilight began to smile, regaining hope. She turned to Rarity who still looked gloomy.

"It's my fault this has happened as well, Twilight. I should have been more direct and thoughtful towards him," Rarity confessed.

Twilight looked at her five friends, smiling. "Thank you... all of you... I can assure you all that it was never your intentions to hurt Spike, and we'll find, we will make this up to him."


Ever since then, Ponyville was put on high alert. Everypony kept a look out for the dragon, searching for clues that could lead them to Spike's whereabouts. It seemed that the former Cutie Mark Crusaders did their best to help, saying that they saw him run into the Everfree Forest. Over the past week, nothing. It was as if Spike vanished without a trace, Twilight was losing hope. The struggling six ponies had no other choice, they contacted Princess Celestia to keep Canterlot on high alert as well. It didn't lead them anywhere, so Princess Celestia notified the land of Equestria, cities to find the missing dragon, a reward was at hoof if anyone found Spike, or if they knew his location.

Three months have passed since then and it never seemed the same without Spike. Rarity continued to make dresses, but it was never the same without the dragon who flattered her in the kindest ways. Rainbow Dash still searched for him, but she knew it was heading nowhere, she didn't want to disappoint Twilight. Being loyal as ever. Fluttershy had to tend to her animals, she did help in many ways, but it didn't lead anywhere. Just like Fluttershy, Applejack had to work on the farm, there wasn't much she could do, however, she apprised the entire Apple Family to keep a lookout, and so they did. Pinkie Pie did her best, she was determined to make it up to Spike no matter what. Twilight... every day she grew depressed, hopeless and desperate. Not even the princesses knew where he was and they inspected every known location in Equestria. Sending scrolls to Spike didn't do anything. He never replied. After that, Celestia had to send messages to Twilight if she needed to be called upon.

Twilight had to face it... He was gone.


Three Months Later

There was nothing but silence the moment Twilight entered the throne room, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were called to have a meeting with her.

"Girls... these past few months have been difficult I'm not gonna lie. You have all worked so hard and I'm proud of your efforts. You've all shown determination, resilience and bravery. But now. I'm calling off the search."

"WHAT!" Everpony asked in complete and total shock.

"Twilight you can't be serious?!" Rarity said.

"Spike's ah part of our friendship, this family we've managed to build," Applejack persuaded.

"We can't just give up!" Rainbow said arrogantly.

"I still need to give him the best and super, fantastic and amazing party in the whole of Equestria!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"Girls!" Twilight yelled. "It's been three months and I have to accept that Spike is long gone, we've done everything to try and find him, but maybe he doesn't want to come back."

"What do you mean Twilight?" Fluttershy quietly said.

"I hurt Spike, I forgot him when I was having fun, you girls didn't see him. His face, his eyes, he was overcome with pain and agony. I allowed this to happen. I can only say that... I have to call off the search and wish that he's happy," Twilight started to smile, but tears could be seen. "I hope he's living a satisfying life, the one I didn't give him," Twilight hung her head as she cried an endless stream.

Fluttershy got up first and approached Twilight, giving her a hug, comforting the poor mare. Applejack proceeded to do the same as did everypony. This turned into a group hug, gently and softly crying to each other, wishing Spike is living the life he chose.

'I'm sorry, Spike.'

PreviousChapters Next