• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 2,996 Views, 16 Comments

The Elements of Nature Book 3 - 气 (Air) - Superior-Doc-Fossil



One Avatar to go. Four Elements left.

  • ...
6
 16
 2,996

Chapter 19, Time Lapse

The Elements of Nature
Book 3: 气 (Air)
Chapter 19, Time Lapse

Three months have past since the Galla, one month after the wedding. The wedding wen’t off without a hitch, unlike the royal wedding three years earlier. Rainbow used a sonic rainboom, Applejack and Golden Rod made the pastries and cake, Blitz helped to clear the sky, Agua made an ice sculpture, Pinkie was in charge of the party (of course), and (much to Twilight's carnage) Ar and Hielo were in charged of making everything perfect by Twilight’s standards. During the month after the wedding, Twilight and Fire’ have been receiving wedding presents from all their friends and family, one is a book called ‘Lost Spells of Star Swirl the Bearded,’ which Fire’ recognized from his dream after he woke up from his coma.

Eventually, after they got enough presents, Twilight and Fire’ are walking down the main street of Canterlot, side by side. Twilight's head was resting on Fire's shoulder as they trotted along as the duo made their way to the hospital. "I'm nervous, Fire’..." Twilight whispered suddenly as they neared the front entrance to the hospital.

"Hm?" Fire’ stopped and looked down at her face, which was suddenly filling with distraught. "What about?"

Twilight smiled nervously, "We’re gonna have a baby, Fire.’ I thought even you could put two and two together as to why I'm nervous."

Fire’ just chuckled, "Twiley..."

"I mean, what if I'm not ready to be a mom?" She started to panic a little. "What if I can't meet the needs of the baby?! What if it dies!? What if..."

"Twiley..." Fire’ stroked her mane once over to calm her down. "I'll be there to whole way..."

"B-b-but..." she sniffed sadly. "I never really thought myself to be, you know..." she waved her hoof in the air in a 'so-so' motion. "Mommy material..."

"And I never figured myself daddy material..." Fire’ then smiled and mimicked her. "But, that's what we have each other for, Twiley! We're here to help each other along!" They were silent for a minute as they both stared at the front door of the hospital. Twilight looked up at the sky, heaved a heavy sigh, and then turned her head up towards Fire's and smiled.

"I love you, you know that?" She grinned and nuzzled him.

"Me too..." He grinned back. "Now, c'mon! Let's go see whether it's a colt or a filly."

==================================================================

An hour later found Fire’ sitting in a chair in the waiting room on the second floor, reading an Equestrian news magazine, specifically an article about a American Earth Pony named Stark Jr, AKA Tony. Dr. Blaze Carousel had greeted them warmly upon entering the hospital and was overjoyed to hear the news of Twilight's pregnancy. Out of the kindness of his heart and 'for Equestria's hero,’ as he put it, he took in Twilight immediately into the sonogram room.

Fire’ sighs to himself out of pure boredom. “It’s been a while, huh?” A familiar voice said. Fire’ look to the door and sees Fire Lord Zuko and his Uncle walking in.

“What are you two doing here?” Fire’ asked.

“I brought them.” Another familiar voice said. Fire’ looks behind the two and sees Lunar Eclipse.

“Oh...”

“So, how have you been?” Zuko asked.

“I’ve been great.” Fire’ answered. “I still can’t believe that three years ago, I didn't even knew Twilight, and yet I had a connection with her. And now...”

“I see.” Zuko said as Iroh takes out a Pai Sho set from his saddle bag.

“So, is it a colt or a filly?” Iroh asked as he sets it up.

“Don’t know yet.” Fire’ answered.

“Well, I hope it's a colt.” Iroh said when he finished. “Why don’t we play Pai Sho to help past the time?” They dwindled in the waiting room in silence for a few minutes, Lunar Eclipse staring at Twilight's door and Fire’ and Iroh are playing Pai Sho.

Suddenly, the sound of a door opening broke the silence. Fire’ leaped up to his hooves and stared down at the door. Carousel stood halfway out the door, an expression of shock on his face. Utter shock. Fire’ cocked his head to one side, "Dr. Carousel? Is everything all right?"

Carousel shook his head to regain his composure and gestured for Fire,’ Zuko, Iroh and Lunar Eclipse to come over. "You'd ... you'd best come and see for yourself..."

Fire,’ the two Earth Ponies and the Alicorn exchanged confused looks before trotting over to the sonogram room and walking inside. In the room, Twilight was laying down in a bed, an equally shocked look on her face. The doctor walked up to the screen on the far wall and turned on the light, showing the pictures the sonogram and taken. Upon turning the backlight on, two little pony-looking blobs sat curled up inside Twilight's womb, and their defining feature were the horns on their little heads. “I don’t get it.” Fire’ said. “Why do you two look like you saw a ghost? There just Uni-”

“Well, not exactly.” Carousel interrupted. "If I may draw your attention to this area of womb right here..." He rose a hoof up and gestured at some weird tiny bumps that were sticking out of the two small figure's backs.

"ALICORNS!" Lunar Eclipse barked suddenly, leaping forward and pushing the doctor out-of-the-way.

"What the hay!?" Fire’ said as he and Zuko ran up with him.

"Alicorns? Really?" Iroh asked.

"Those are wings, Fire’!" The Alicorn barked. "Wings!" It was now Fire's turn to look shocked. He turned and looked at Twilight, who was now staring at Fire's face, her face now held a look of calmness. He turned back and looked at the sonogram. Sure enough, upon closer observation, the tiny formations coming out the two babies’ backs were indeed wings.

"That's ... that's amazing!" Fire’ said as he ran over and hugged Twilight, who, without saying a word, hugged him back tightly, tears spilling out of her eyes, "What are they?"

"One a colt." The doctor smiled warmly. “And one a filly”

"A colt and filly!" Fire’ smiled again shortly before looking confused again, "But-but the Alicorns..." He gulped. "H...how?" Fire’ managed to say through his shock.

"That's the part that leaves me baffled, I'm afraid..." The doctor shook his head, "The last Alicorn born was Cadence 33 years ago, and both of her parents were Alicorns. I'm afraid I don't know how this came about..."

"I do..." A female voice reverberated around the room. There was a flash of bright light near the door and in the light's place stood the two Alicorn Princesses themselves.

The Doctor, Zuko, Iroh, Fire,’ and Twilight made quick bows as they appeared. "Your Highnesses..." Fire’ said, surprised.

"Hello..." Celestia said, striding into the room, her facial expression seemed calm and collected, but her mind was caught in a rush of emotion and surprise.

"Princess, please." Twilight begged, getting out of the bed suddenly and walking to Celestia eagerly, "How did me and Fire’ have Alicorns?"

"Good question..." She turned towards the doctor, "Doctor, I have personal matters I wish to discuss with these ponies."

"Oh, um, of course, your majesty..." The Doctor made a quick bow before galloping out of the room and closing the door behind him.

"Okay, so ... how did this happen?" FIre’ asked eagerly, gesturing at his baby Alicorns.

"Don't think we weren't watching when you were fighting Ozia." Celestia cocked an eye, "We saw you and Twilight merge with the Elements."

"That, everypony..." Luna said seriously, "Is why Twilight Sparkle is going to have two Alicorns. The combination of your natural talent of magic and Twilights..." She pointed a hoof at Fire,’ "And the power of the Elements of Harmony and Nature..." She moved her hoof over to Twilight, "Is what caused this."

"What about the fact that he's a descendent of Star Swirl?" Lunar said, looking over at Fire.’ "Would that have had something to do with it?"

"Perhaps, but I cannot be sure..." Celestia said thoughtfully. "But I do know this. When you two merge, the babies life-forces became supercharged, and changed. You two unintentionally drew upon the magic that resides inside everypony, and made it bubble to the surface, creating not one, but two Alicorns."

Firebrand and Twilight exchanged surprised glances. Fire’ then walks over to Twilight and grasped her hoof, "Are the babies gonna be okay?"

"I do not know..." Celestia continued. "But early in life, Alicorn magic is incredibly unstable, they even mature faster than other ponies. Individuals who wish to use the two Alicorn's magic for evil would try to steal the baby away if word spreads of new baby Alicorns."

"Especially since one has not been born in 33 years..." Luna added.

The seven ponies sat in silence for a moment or two. Finally, Twilight spoke up, "So ... so what do we do?" Fire’ looked down at her and moved her head to a position so that she could lean on his shoulder.

"What else, dear?" Celestia smiled, "We wait, and cross that bridge when we come to it."

"Rest assured, we will make sure protection to the babies." Luna nodded, "Whatever happens."

Fire’ and Twilight smiled and hugged each other tightly, while Lunar Eclipse was still trying to recover from the fact the first Alicorns in 33 years was about to be born in a matter of months, after Shining and Cadence’s baby of course. “Lunar Eclipse,” Celestia said to the Prince of Death, getting his attention, “I want you to help Twilight and Firebrand with the new Alicorn.”

“Of course, Princess.” Lunar said. In a flash of light, both princesses disappeared as quickly as they appeared. Lunar Eclipse straightened himself up and turned his attention to the couple.

"Okay..." He started by clearing his throat. "Fire.’ Twilight. My new assignment is to watch over you. So, I might as well start on preparing you for the two Alicorns’ birth."

Fire’ and Twilight looked at each other, and then looked back at the Alicorn with smiles. "Can it wait until Twiley's a little more ... oh, I don't know ... plump?" Fire’ joked.

"Oh, quit it, Brandy!" Twilight slugged her husband in the arm before they both burst out laughing.

Lunar smiled at their joy, "Of course. But there are preparations that need to be taken care of as soon as possible..."

"Like...?" Twilight eagerly asked.

“We get back to the Fire Nation.” Zuko pointed out.

“Oh, right.” Lunar than charges a spell, and in a flash, Zuko and Iroh are gone. The Alicorn then scoffed, "Preparing a room for the babies, Twilight Sparkle. Good Celestia above, don't make this more complicated that it has to be..." he smiled jokingly.

This earned him a pillow to the face from Twilight, and all three ponies laughed. This moment was the happiest Fire’ had felt in his entire life. There was something about the babies that he had created, growing inside of the mare he loved, that was special to him. This moment was just the beginning of the happiest, and more challenging, eight months of Fire's life, that will make fighting Ozia look like a pice of cake.

==================================================================

Roughly a month after the hospital visit, Fire’ had since moved in with Twilight so he could be there for her whenever she needed him during the months of her pregnancy with their Alicorn children. Twilight had grown a little plump in the tummy area over the past month as well. "I never thought I'd be worried about looking fat." Twilight sighed, as she looked into a mirror in her room, walking around in a circle to get views of herself from all angles.

Fire’ chuckled as he walked up behind her, "I don't care how you look, Twiley." He wrapped his front hooves around her stomach and cuddled her from behind, looking at her in the mirror, "I think pregnancy gives you a certain ... glow, Twiley..."

"Knock it off!" She swatted him away, laughing, "Don't patronize me!"

"Oh please..." Fire’ chuckled back, gesturing at the mirror, "I still see the same Twilight Sparkle in that mirror! You have nothing to worry about."

She turned her attention back to the mirror for a moment, then turned back to him, "Really, Fire’?"

"Of course!" He cocked an eye. "She's just a little bigger than-"

"Crossing the line there, Brandy!" She ran up to him and kissed him on the cheek before running out of the room, "Now c'mon! We said we'd meet my brother and the others for lunch at Doughnut Joe’s!"

"Gimme a sec!" Fire’ called after her, "Well, this isn't so bad..." Fire’ thought aloud as he trotted out of the room after her. "I thought pregnancy would be much worse...” This was just the beginning, however.

==================================================================

The next morning found Fire’ and Twilight cuddling in their bed. As the first rays of sunlight beamed through the window, Fire’ sat up, rubbing his eyes. "Ugh..." He smiled, looking down at his sleeping wife. "Hey there, gorgeous."

She tiredly smiled and blinked up at him, "Hey..."

"How'd you sleep, Twiley?" Fire’ asked as he stroked her cheek.

"Well, to be honest..." Twilight stopped talking and looked down at her stomach.

"W-what?" Fire’ asked, alarmed. "Is everything okay?"

She turned her head to look at him, and then smiled awkwardly. "Yeeeah ... gimme a minute..." All at once, she rolled over to the side of the bed, grabbed her garbage can, and vomited.

Fire’ gasped, his mouth hanging open, slowly edging away from Twilight. Not only was she basically throwing up her entire internal organs, it was colored purple.

"Oh wow..." Fire’ put a hoof up to his mouth. "Pony morning sickness ... worse than I thought ... oh man ... now I don't feel good..." Fire’ then began to feel woozy. "That..." He pointed at the can as Twilight wiped her mouth off and looked over at him sickly. "Is the most colorful vomit I've ever seen..."

"Yeah..." Twilight blushed. "Sorry you had to see that..." She looked down at the can.

Fire’ nodded slowly, "Uh huh..." He held up a hoof and rolled out of bed. "I'll be right back..." He said as he left the room.

"Okay..." Twilight groaned and held her stomach. "What are you doing,’ Fire’?"

"I said hang on!" Fire’ yelled from outside.

"What are you doing outside?" Twilight asked him. There was no reply, but then she heard a very audible vomiting noise from Fire.’ "Oh my goodness!" Twilight leaped out of bed. "Fire’! Are you okay!"

"Yeah!" Fire’ said to her. "I'm fine!"

"Are you sure?" Twilight couldn't help but smile and chuckle a little as she talked to Fire.’

"Yeah! Positive!" Fire’ said to her as she heard him walk back up the stairs. "The roof of our neighbor ain't so good thou."

"Don't worry!" Twilight said to him.

"That's your opinion..." Fire’ said as he walks back in, frowning.

"Ew..." Spike, who was sleeping in a little basket bed nearby, said while sticking out his tongue. "Are all ponies form Abysus that gross?"

"I could ask you the same thing about ponies from Equestria..." Fire’ said as he walks up to Twilight, frowning sarcastically.

She lightly pecked him on the cheek and said, "Touché..." She then turned around and threw up in her can again.

Fire’ looked away this time, saving himself the trauma of having to vomit again. "Oh..." Fire’ thought, putting a hoof up to his mouth again. "I jinxed myself yesterday, didn't I?"

This was only the first in a long line of tribulations Fire’ had to go through during Twilight's pregnancy. Along with the morning sickness, there was also a lot of mood swings and strange cravings, often yelling at Fire’ to go get her a literal mud pie, and then started crying and saying she didn't mean it when he came back covered in mud, scowling. However, not all the times were bad.

==================================================================

Three months later, the mares decided to throw Twilight an early foal-shower at Doughnut Joe’s while Fire’ was off training with a martial arts master Pegasus named Delta, as Celestia had insisted he learn to defend himself and the Alicorn foals without the need of his magic, Firebending or Energybending.

Twilight had grown bigger around the middle. About seventy-five percent of Ponyville's mares showed up at the Doughnut Joe’s for the party with gifts for the unborn Alicorn colt and filly. The only stallion there was Joe, and he felt out-of-place as it was. Pinkie Pie herself set up the shindig, with balloons and streamers galore in the café. A banner hung above the party on the wall that read: "Congrats on the colt and filly, TS!"

"Congratulations again Twilight!" Rarity said, levitating a wrapped box out of her saddlebag and onto the pile of presents next to Twilight, "That's an adorable little outfit for the babies! It has the Element of Magic for the filly and the Element of Fire for the colt etched onto both sides!"

Twilight smiled and gave her friend and quick little hug, "Thanks, Rarity. I'm sure Fire’ will like it too."

"Speaking of which, are you sure Fire’ was okay with this whole thing?" Rarity asked Twilight, cocking an eye, "It seems recently he's been obsessed with sticking next to you, like he's your bodyguard."

Twilight chuckled and smiled, "First, he is my bodyguard right now. Second, he’s my husband. And Third, he's not just my bodyguard or husband..." She patted her stomach.

"I see..." Rarity looked at her stomach, then back up at her. "He does love you, Twilight."

"Why would you go and say something like that?" Twilight said suddenly, narrowing her eyes.

Applejack walked up. "Even ah can see yo' two haf been real happy lately."

“Yeah.” Twilight said. “I can only imagined how much he cares about both me and the babies.”

==================================================================

Meanwhile ... "HIYAH!" Fire's hoof crashed into a punching bag at the Canterlot gym, with a black Pegasus stallion with a lime green stripe down the middle of his back and silver eyes and the Greek Delta symbol as a cutie mark standing on the other side, holding the bag while Fire’ continued to pummel it with his front two hooves.

"C'mon, Hothead!" The stallion barked into Fire's ear as he continued to slam his hooves into the bag, "Is that all you got, kid? Twilight Sparkle is depending on YOU! Your foals are depending on YOU!"

Fire’ growled and pummeled the back with even more ferocity than before. Standing off to the side were Lunar Eclipse, Shining Armor, Blitz, Ar and Golden Rod. They all watched Fire’ intently, as if half-expecting the bag to snap off its chains and fall down.

"He's good..." Blitz muttered.

"Yeah..." Shining said. "He's one tough pony, I know."

The Alicorn nodded. "I'm glad Delta offered him training free of charge. He will need this training when the Alicorns are born. Many will try to take advantage of the two newborn's powers..."

"Yeah, I know the feeling." Shining said as he leaned against the wall. "There not the only ones having a little Alicorn."

"Oh, yeah. Your having a baby Alicorn to. I forgot.” Blitz said. “What are you and Cadence gonna name it?"

"Him, you mean.” Shining reminded the Element of Lightning. “I’m thinking Blazing Dawn."

"That worries me..." Lunar Eclipse said, eyes still locked on Fire's fighting. "Three Alicorns being born months from each other." He looked down. "I just hope that nothing bad will happen to yours or Fire’s families."

"AAAAARGH!" They watched in awe as Fire’ did a roundhouse power kicked the bag, snapping the chains and sending it crashing to the ground. Delta had to jump out-of-the-way.

Blitz whistled in amazement, while Lunar Eclipse, Ar, Shining, and GR just stared in awe. "Good work there, son." Delta grasped hooves with Fire,’ who wiped the sweat off his brow with his other hoof. "Tomorrow, I'll spar against you, and see how you do."

"Thanks again, Delta." Fire’ smiled and nodded. "I appreciate you are willing to teach me for free."

"Anything for one of the ponies that saved the world." He winked then turned around and started walking away. "Take five, then we start your strength training..."

Fire’ nodded and walked over to his friends who were watching. "How'd I do?"

"How'd you do?" Shining looked exasperated. "How'd you do?! Fire,’ you destroyed the bucking thing!"

“Yes. Good work, Firebrand." Ar said.

"Thanks guys." Fire’ then looked up at the Prince of Death. "How's Canterlot, Lunar?"

"The residents here are very friendly and accepting, although some find it hard to believe that another Alicorn exists, let alone a male." He sighed. "The mares can't seem to leave me alone whenever I step outside."

"That's how I felt when I first arrived..." Fire’ smiled and patted his shoulder. "Pick a mare and have some fun while you're here, Lunar!"

"Yeah!" Blitz pointed a hoof at him. "Take advantage since your here and enjoy yourself!"

"I wish I could..." Lunar Eclipse sighed. "But my heart belongs to another..."

The friends were silent for a moment before Fire’ nodded in understanding. "Deep." He playfully shoved the Alicorn. "It's your decision, boyfriend of Princess Luna." This caused Lunar to blush.

He then turned towards Ar, who was meditating. "Ah! Speaking of mares, how're you are Applejack getting along?" Fire’ joked, causing Ar to blush.

"Why do you ask?" Ar said, still blushing.

“Oh, come on, mate!” Blitz said as he gave the monk a playful punch. “We all see how AJ looks at you.”

"I ... supposed that it wouldn't hurt..." Ar quietly said.

"No, it wouldn't." Shining said.

"Fire’! Weight training! Let's go!" Delta barked.

Fire’ sighed and galloped across to some barbells Delta was standing next to. As Lunar watched Fire’ train, he sighed as he thought back to a message he had received from Celestia the other day about Fire.’ "This training might be useful, but those who will try to do harm to him are out of his league. Well, Deker was nearly out of his league, but ... I just don't know..." He watched the hotheaded stallion bench press a good amount of weights and slightly smiled. "We'll see how things turn out..."

==================================================================

"Twilight!" Fire’ called, running into the tower, "I'm home!"

"Hey, Fire’...” A very pregnant Twilight said, walking into the entryway and kissing Fire’ on the cheek, "You get those apples from Applejack?"

Fire’ smiled warmly, "Yep. At the usual discounted price, too."

"Good, go set them in the kitchen, will ya, Fire’?" She brushed her tail up against his muzzle as she walked past him.

"Can do, sweetie!" He called back, trotting into the kitchen. It was about eight or so months into the pregnancy now, and three months earlier, Cadence and Shining had a healthy baby Alicorn colt they named Blazing Dawn. It was now spring, and things were beginning to look up. The foals were due any day now, and Fire’ was happy, despite the nine months of mood swings and morning sickness. His martial arts training had been a success for the most part, his unarmed skills now at greater levels than they were before. As a result, Fire’ had grown both in height and muscular build, and Spike kept joking it would be hilarious since there's also a filly, because he would have to carry around a pink diaper bag. Fire’ kept insisting that he wouldn't mind, but he thanked Celestia that there's also a colt every time Spike joked about that.

"You know, Twiley..." Fire’ said, taking the apples out of his saddlebag and dropping them into a basket in the corner. "I've noticed some changes in you..."

"Oh really?" Twilight trotted in and sat down in a chair. "Like...?"

Fire’ turned and put a hoof up to his chin, "Well..." He trotted over and sat down across from her. "You've come a long way from the egghead who got me into the Spirit World for the first time..."

"How?"

"Well, you're more outgoing, talkative, and exuberant. I mean, you are still the same old Twilight Sparkle, and I wouldn't trade her for anypony, but..." He smiled and leaned forward, "I've seen some building of your character, Twiley..."

She blushed and patted her stomach, "It's all thanks to you, Brandy."

Fire’ laughed, "See, there she is."

"I've seen changes in you, too, Fire.’" She said, leaning back.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, like..." She stopped suddenly, a look of confusion on her face. "Ew..." She started shifting uneasily in her seat.

Fire’ sat up straight, "What?"

"The cushion of this seat is all wet..."

"That's weir-oh no..." Fire's eyes widened in shock. "Okay, um ... Twi, uh..." He quickly thought about how to put this. "Um Twi ... how long has it been since we ... you know?"

She put a hoof up to her chin as she began to do the calculations. "Almost nine mo-oh noooo!" She jumped up in panic. "It's happening! Oh dear Celestia, it's happening!"

Fire’ leaped up and grabbed her shoulder. "It's okay, Twiley. Breath. In through your nose, and out through your mouth!"

Twilight obeyed his orders and breathed steadily. It was clear, however, that she was feeling pain in her stomach. "AAAAARGH!" She cried out suddenly in pain.

"Shhh, Twi! It'll be okay! C'mon, let's get you to the hospital. I'm here, Twiley!" Fire' pulled her close. In a puff of smoke, however, Lunar Eclipse appeared.

"I heard screaming..." He looked down at the water on the floor. "Oh my ... is this...?"

"YES!" Fire’ barked, keeping his hooves around Twilight, keeping her breathing. "GET US TO THE HOSPITAL! NOW!"

The Prince of Death nodded furiously, "Right! Yes, of course!" In a puff of black smoke, all three ponies were gone from Twilight's tower.