• Published 15th Jun 2012
  • 2,997 Views, 16 Comments

The Elements of Nature Book 3 - 气 (Air) - Superior-Doc-Fossil



One Avatar to go. Four Elements left.

  • ...
6
 16
 2,997

Chapter 15, Sozin's Comet Part 2: The Old Masters

The Elements of Nature
Book 3: 气 (Air)
Chapter 15, Sozin's Comet Part 2: The Old Masters

It’s night in Geo Firma. At a tavern, Team Avatar, sans Fire,’ watches as a bounty hunter, June, sits in her seat and begins drinking her tea. “Hey, I remember her!” Hielo suddenly said. “She helped you attack us when we were at that village four years ago!”

“Yup.” Zuko commented. “Back in the good old days.”

The group then walk up to June. “Oh great. It's Prince Pouty.” June said when she recognizes Zuko. “Where's your creepy grandpa?”

“He's my uncle.” Zuko said to the bounty hunter. “And he's not here.”

June then notices Agua. “I see you worked things out with your girlfriend.” June said, mistaking Agua for a female member of the Ice Knights.

Zuko and Agua then look at June, weirded out. “I'm not his girlfriend!” Agua angrily said as Zuko says, “She's not my girlfriend!” At the same time.

“Okay, okay. Sheesh. I was only teasing. So what do you want?” June asked.

“I need your help finding the Fire Avatar.” Zuko answered.

“Hm. Doesn't sound too fun.” June said as she sips her tea.

Does the end of the world sound like more fun?” Zuko angrily said to her. Outside of the tavern, Nyla, June's shirshu, is growling at Spike.

“Easy, mole-rat thing.” Spike nervously said as the gang and June come walking toward them, the latter carrying a piece of meat.

June then holds the meat up and shakes it. “Nyla.” June said as she throws the meat to Nyla, who catches it in his mouth and starts chewing it before swallowing. June then walks up to him and starts petting. “Who's my little, hmm, Snuffly-Wuffly?” June said, causing Spike to nearly vomit. Nyla then sticks his toxins-coated tongue out, but June dodges it and forces his mouth closed. “Whoa! Careful their.” June then looks at the group. “Okay. So who's got something with the Fire Avatar's scent on it?”

“I have his sword.” Twilight said as she takes out Fire’s sword from the chariot.

Twilight then gives June the sword, who holds it out in front of Nyla. He sniffs it and walks around in circles, trying to sniff the scent out somewhere else. Eventually he lies back down and covers his nose. “Well, what does that mean?” Lunar asked.

“It means your friend's gone.” June said as she pets Nyla.

“We know he's gone.” An annoyed Rainbow said. “That's why we're trying to find him.”

“No, I mean he's gone gone. He doesn't exist.” June said.

==================================================================

At the mysteries island Fire’ and Owlowiscious are on, the two are looking around, searching for a sing of life. “Where are we, Owlowiscious? Maybe I'm in the Spirit World? But wait. You can see me. We could both be in the Spirit World.” Fire’ then uses his firebending. “Nope. My bending works.” Owlowiscious then lands on him and points at the top of a hill. “Maybe if we climb to the top of the island, we can figure out where we are. And why do I have the Elements of Harmony and Nature with me?”

==================================================================

“What do you mean Fire’ doesn't exist? Do you mean he's ... you know, dead?” A clearly worried Twilight said to June.

“Nope. We could find him if he were dead. Wow, it's a real head-scratcher. See ya.” June then begins to climb onto Nyla.

“Helpful. Real helpful.” Terra sarcastically said.

“Wait.” Zuko said to June. “I have another idea. There's only one other pony in this world who can help us face the Fire Lord. I'll be right back with a smell sample.” Later, Zuko holds up his uncle's old sandal which is now covered in flies. All of Team Avatar are holding their noses in disgust, except for Zuko and Terra, with the former embarrassed.

“You saved your uncle's sweaty sandal?! Ugh!” Hielo said as he tries to not smell.

“I think it's kind of sweet.” Terra said with a smile.

Nyla then jumps forward and sniffs the sandal. “Let's do this.” A determined June said as she and Nyla run off.

“Hey! Wait up!” Zuko said as they get on the chariot and fly after them.

==================================================================

They follow Nyla from the sky on a long journey until they end up at the destroyed Outer Wall of Ba Sing Se. The group land as Nyla starts digging at the wreckage. “We're going to Ba Sing Se?” Lunar asked.

“Zuko.” June said to the Fire Prince. “Your uncle's somewhere beyond the wall. Nyla's getting twitchy so he can't be too far. Good luck.” She and Nyla then ride off.

“It's been a long day.” Twilight said. “Let's set up camp and start our search again at dawn.”

==================================================================

Back on the island, Fire’ and Owlowiscious reach a strange, flat rock-formation at the hill-top. “It's a hexagon.” Fire’ said. He then feels the formation. “It doesn't seem like normal rock.” Fire’ said as he sits down. “This is so strange. I wish I had some help right now. I wish I had Roku.” Fire’ then suddenly realizes something. “I do have Roku!” Fire’ then takes a deep breath and starts meditating. The spirit of Avatar Roku then appears before him as Owlowiscious flies off.

“You're right, Firebrand.” The spirit said. “All the past Avatars, all their experience and wisdom, is available to you if you look deep inside yourself.”

“So where am I, Roku? What is this place?” Fire’ asked.

“I ... don't know, Firebrand. But I see you are lost in more ways than one right now.”

“I am. I need to figure out what to do once I face the Fire Lord.”

==================================================================

Back at the outside of Ba Sing Se, everyone is asleep. Terra is sleeping in an earth tent when she suddenly senses something and wakes up. She lowers her tent as the group is surrounded by a wall of fire. They look up and see 5 ponies, all stallions. One a Pegasus with a navy blue coat, a light blue-grey mane, yellow eyes and a water drop for a cutie mark.

Another is an Earth Pony with a brown coat and a green-grey mane and a boulder for a cutie mark. He is at least twice as old as Granny Smith. Another is an Earth Pony that has a yellow coat, a black mane, amber eyes, and twin swords for a cutie mark. Another Earth Pony has a golden coat, a dark red mane, amber eyes, and a fireball for a cutie mark. The last one is a unicorn, one Twilight and Shining recognized as their “Dad?” The two siblings asked. All the stallions are wearing white robs with a lotus pattern on them.

“Well, look who's here!” The brown Earth Pony said. He then starts laughing and snorting.

==================================================================

Back to the island, Fire’ is still talking to Avatar Roku's spirit. “Everyone expects me and the others to take the Fire Lord's life, but I just don't know if I can do that.” Fire’ said to his past life.

“In my life, I tried to be disciplined and show restraint, but it backfired when Fire Lord Sozin took advantage of my restraint and mercy. If I had been more decisive and acted sooner, I could have stopped Sozin and stopped the war before it started. I offer you this wisdom, Firebrand: You must be decisive.” Roku then vanishes, leaving a disappointed Fire.’

==================================================================

Back at Ba Sing Se, the team is now joined by the stallions in white robes. “What's going on?” A confused Terra asked. “We're surrounded by old ponies.”

“Not just any old ponies.” Agua said as she runs up to the old Pegasus. “Good to see you, Grandpa Pakku.”

“Good to see you too, my little waterbender.” The Pegasus known as Pakku said.

“Hey, I know you.” Zuko said to the earth pony with a fire-ball for a cutie mark. “Your Jeong Jeong, the only Fire Nation solider who left the army without getting killed.”

“Indeed, I am.” Jeong Jeong said.

“Master Piandao.” Hielo said to the Earth Pony with twin swords for a cutie mark.

“Hello, Hielo.” Piandao said.

“Dad, why are you here?” Shining asked his dad, Night Light.

“And how do you know these other ponies?” Twilight asked.

“All old ponies know each other.” The old brown Unicorn said to the two siblings, popping up right behind Night Light. “Don't you know that?” He then laughs and snorts.

“Not the time, Bumi.” Night Light said to the old Unicorn. “Anyway, to answer your questions, we're all part of the same ancient secret society. A group that transcends the divisions of the nations of the world.”

“The Order of the White Lotus.” Zuko said, getting stares from the group, except the Order of the White Lotus members.

“That's the one.” Bumi said.

“The White Lotus has always been about philosophy and beauty and truth.” Jeong Jeong said. “But about a month ago, a call went out that we were needed for something important.”

“It came from a Grand Lotus: your uncle, Iroh of the Fire Nation.” Pakku said to Zuko, who smiles.

“Well, that's who we're looking for.” Terra pointed out.

“Then we'll take you to him.” Piandao said.

“Wait.” Night Light said when he notices something is wrong. “Where's Firebrand?”

“He's gone.” Hielo said.

“My pet horn owl, Owlowiscious, is gone too.” Twilight pointed out.

“Oh well.” Bumi said. “So long as they have each other, I'm sure we have nothing to worry about. Let's go.” He then launches himself away using earthbending while laughing and snorting.

==================================================================

Back on the island, Fire’ is still meditating. Owlowiscious moves behind Fire’ before moving away. “Avatar Kyoshi. I need your wisdom.”

The spirit of Avatar Kyoshi then appears before him. “In my day, Chin the Conqueror threatened to throw the world out of balance. I stopped him. And the world entered a great era of peace.”

“You didn't really kill Chin.” Fire’ pointed out. “Technically, he fell to his own doom because he was too stubborn to get out-of-the-way.”

“Personally, I don't really see the difference, but I assure you, I would have done whatever it took to stop Chin. I offer you this wisdom, Firebrand: Only justice will bring peace.” Kyoshi said as she disappears.

“I knew I shouldn't have asked Kyoshi.” A disappointed Fire’ said.

==================================================================

Back to the rest of the group, they are walking with the White Lotus members to their campsite. “Bumi, was it?” Zuko asked. “Your the king of the Geo Firma city of Omashu, so ... how did you end up escaping your imprisonment in Omashu after the Fire Nation captured it?”

“Escape?” Bumi said to the Fire Prince. “I didn't escape. Everypony else escaped.” Bumi then tells the group what happened.

==================================================================

“There I was back in Omashu, waiting for just the right moment.” Bumi is suspended in an anti-magic box. “I didn't know what or when, but I knew I'd know it when I knew it.” Bumi then notices that the gas line is broken and that the gas tanks are empty. “A gas shortage. That'll do it.” He then twitches his face, and he begins using earthbending to launch pieces of nearby rooftops into his cage, breaking himself out. Flamethrowers then quickly show up to confront him.

“What do you think you're doing?” The leader said. They try to blast Bumi, but are powerless due to gas leak.

They then look at Bumi in horror, who smiles evilly. “Taking back my city! You've got no firepower. And it's payback time!” Bumi then launches himself off the platform. He then uses earthbending to bring down several steam buildings built by the Fire Nation. The soldiers all start to flee from the city. Bumi then looks up at a giant metal statue of Fire Lord Ozia. He launches eight guards behind him by creating earth pillars. He then launches the pillars into the eyes, nose, mouth, and cheeks of the statue. He also uses earthbending to bring down the statue as it falls out of the city and into the abyss below the front gate. Bumi laughs and snorts as he sees this and starts eating a piece of jennamite, which is a naturally fast growing sugar rock.

==================================================================

“Wow!” An amazed Rainbow said. “You took back your whole city all by yourself!”

“Yep.” Bumi said. He then opens his saddle bag and brings out some jennamite. “I have some jennamite. Wan’t any?”

“Ah like some.” Applejack said. Bumi then gives her some, and when she takes a bite, she nearly has a sugar rush. “Ah reckon yo' sh'dn't’ give this hyar stuff t'Pinkie.”

“Too late.” Bumi said. Applejack then sees Pinkie running all over the place, even more of a nuthouse them before.

“Jennamiteisgood,youreallyshouldtryitguys!Willyou?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?” Pinkie said faster than a 100 km/h hurricane.

==================================================================

Back on the island, Fire’ is becoming irritated that he isn’t getting any good answers. “I need to look deep inside myself.” Fire’ starts meditating again. This time thee spirit of an Earth Pony Avatar appears before him.

“I am Avatar Kuruk.” He then flashes-back to a younger of himself, surfing. “When I was young, I was always a go-with-the-flow kind of Avatar. Ponies seemed to work out their own problems, and there was peace and good times in the world.” Avatar Kuruk then shows Fire’ him kissing the mare he loved. “But then, I lost the mare I loved to Koh, the Face Stealer, a centipede like spirit that can take the face of any creature that shows emotion. It was my fault. If I had been more attentive and more active, I could've saved her. Firebrand, you must actively shape your own destiny and the destiny of the world.” He then vanishes, leaving Firebrand even more disappointed.

==================================================================

Meanwhile, the rest of the team arrives at the White Lotus campsite. Bumi unblocks the camp with earthbending. “Well, here we are.” Bumi said. “Welcome to Old Pony Camp.”

“Where ... Where is he?” Zuko asked.

Piandao then points to a tent on the other side of the camp. “Your uncle's in there, Prince Zuko.” Zuko becomes worried and ashamed as he walks up to the front of his uncle's tent and sits on the ground. Celestia then walks up to him.

“Are you okay?” Celestia asked.

“No, I'm not okay.” Zuko answered. “My uncle hates me, I know it. He loved and supported me in every way he could, and I still turned against him. How can I even face him?”

“Zuko, you're sorry for what you did, right?” Celestia said.

“More sorry than I've been about anything in my entire life.”

“Then he'll forgive you. He will.” Celestia said.

Zuko then stands up and exhales deeply and walks into the tent. “Uncle?” Zuko said. He then hears snoring and sees Uncle Iroh, asleep. He smiles and sits down next to him.

==================================================================

Back at the island, Fire’ is debating with himself over what his past lives have said. “All these past Avatars. They keep telling me I'm gonna have to do it. They don't get it.”

Owlowiscious just says. “Hoo.”

“You're right. Maybe a Unicorn Avatar will understand where I'm coming from.” Owlowiscious then stares at him. “I know you can't really talk. Pretending you can just helps me think.”

“Hoo.” Fire’ then becomes annoyed.

“I'm going to pretend I didn't pretend to hear that.” Fire’ starts to meditate again. The spirit of another Avatar, a female Unicorn Avatar, appears before him.

“I am Avatar Yangchen, young firebender.” She said.

“Avatar Yangchen, my father always taught me that all life is sacred. Even the life of the tiniest spider-fly caught in its own web.” Fire’ said.

“Yes. All life is sacred.”

“I know. I've always tried to solve my problems by being quick or clever. And I've only had to use violence for necessary defense. And I've certainly never used it to take a life.”

“Avatar Firebrand, I know that you're a gentle spirit, and that your father taught you well, but this isn't about you. This is about the world.”

“But the monks of my homeland taught me that I had to detach myself from the world so my spirit could be free.”

“Many great and wise Unicorns have detached themselves and achieved spiritual enlightenment, but the Avatar can never do it. Because your sole duty is to the world. Here is my wisdom for you: Selfless duty calls you to sacrifice your own spiritual needs, and do whatever it takes to protect the world.” Yangchen then vanishes.

“I guess I don't have a choice, Owlowiscious.” A disappointed Fire’ said to the owl. “I have to kill the Fire Lord.” He sorrowfully said.

==================================================================

At the White Lotus camp, the sun begins to rise. A saddened Zuko is in his uncle's tent, waiting for him to wake up. Iroh finally wakes up and yawns, while facing away from Zuko. He glances back slightly and sees Zuko, but says nothing. “Uncle. I know you must have mixed feelings about seeing me. But I want you to know,” Zuko began to say as he starts to cry, “I am so, so, sorry, Uncle. I am so sorry and ashamed of what I did. I don't know how I can ever make it up to you. But I...” Before Zuko could finish, he is cut off by Iroh, who grabs him and hugs him, while starting to cry as well, and starts to smile. Zuko is shocked and confused at this. “How can you forgive me so easily? I thought you would be furious with me.”

“I was never angry with you. I was sad, because I was afraid you lost your way.” Iroh said to him.

“I did lose my way.” Zuko said as Iroh lets him go.

“But you found it again. And you did it by yourself. And I am so happy you found your way here.” Iroh said as he hugs Zuko again.

“It wasn't that hard, Uncle. You have a pretty strong scent.”

==================================================================

At the island Fire’ is on, he wakes up and notices something. He sees some mountains ‘approaching’ in the distance. “Wait. Is it just me, or are those mountains getting bigger?”

“Hoo.”

Fire’ then climbs up the tallest tree he could find and sees that the whole island is moving. “They're not getting larger. They're getting closer!” Fire’ excitedly said. Fire’ then jumps down onto the island floor and begins running, Owlowiscious in his wake. “The whole island is moving!” Fire’ said as he jumps underwater. He gets down around 20 feet when he sees a giant paw of some kind. He then swims back up to the surface.

It's amazing Owlowiscious! The biggest animal in the world! I've gotta to swim around and find its face.” Fire’ then swims off toward the front of the ‘island,’ with Owlowiscious following him.

==================================================================

Back at the White Lotus camp, the team are in a circle with Iroh. “Uncle, you're the only pony other than the Fire Avatar who can possibly help us defeat the Father Lord.” Zuko said.

“Yo' mean th' Fire Lord” Applejack corrected.

“That's what I just said!” Zuko angrily said.

“Hmmm...” Iroh said as he thinks.

“We need you to come with us!” Zuko said.

“No, Zuko, it won't turn out well.” Iroh said to his nephew.

“You can beat him! And we'll be there to help.” Zuko said.

“Even if I did defeat Ozia during the comet, and I don't know that I could, it would be the wrong way to end the war. History would see it as just more senseless violence, a brother killing a brother to grab power. The only way for this war to end peacefully is for the Avatars to defeat the Fire Lord.”

“And then, you would come and take your rightful place on the throne?” Zuko asked.

“No.” Iroh answered. “Someone new must take the throne. An idealist with a pure heart and unquestionable honor. It has to be you, Prince Zuko.”

“Unquestionable honor? But I've made so many mistakes.” Zuko pointed out.

“Yes, you have.” Iroh said. “You've struggled; you've suffered, but you have always followed your own path. You restored your own honor, and only you can restore the honor of the Fire Nation.”

“I'll try, Uncle.”

“Well, what if Fire’ doesn't come back?” Terra asked.

“Sozin's Comet is arriving, and our destinies are upon us. Firebrand will face the Fire Lord.” Iroh said. “When I was a colt, I had a vision that I would one day take Ba Sing Se. Only now do I see that my destiny is to take it back from the Fire Nation, so Geo Firma can be free again.”

“That's why you gathered the members of the White Lotus.” Twilight said.

“Yes.” Iroh said. He then turns to “Zuko, you must return to the Fire Nation, so that when the Fire Lord falls, you can assume the throne and restore peace and order. But Azula will be there, waiting for you.”

“I can handle Azula.” Zuko said

“Not alone! You'll need help.”

“You’re right.” Zuko said to his uncle. “Agua, Rainbow, Applejack, Shining, how would you 4 like to help me put Azula in her place?” He asked.

“It would be our pleasure.” Shining answered for them.

“What about us?” Scootaloo asked, referring to her, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Terra, Blitz, Ar, Golden Rod, Lunar and Hielo. What is our destiny today?”

“What do you think it is?” Iroh said tot he impatient Pegasus filly.

“I think that, even though we don't know where Fire’ is, we need to do everything we can to stop the airship fleet.” Blitz said.

“And that means when Fire' does face the Fire Lord, we'll be right there if he needs us.” Twilight said as Iroh smiles. A bit later, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Terra, Blitz, Ar, Golden Rod and Lunar are on a large, amphibious lizard that is at least eight feet tall and roughly twenty-five to thirty feet long, with dark green scales (except along its stomach) from its jaw to its tail. Hielo is on the ground talking to Piandao as Fluttershy pets the giant lizard.

“Thats a good little doggy.” She cooed.

“It’s not a dog.” Piandao pointed out. “Nothing runs faster over land or swims quicker than a giant eel hound.” He then hands Hielo a map, who examines it. “The air ship base is on a small island just off the Geo Firma shore. You should be able to intercept the fleet within a day's journey.”

“Thank you, Master.” Hielo said. They then bow to each other and Hielo hugs him.

On the chariot, Shining, Agua, Rainbow, Applejack, and Zuko are getting ready to leave. “Me and Luna will return to Equestria to help build up our defenses in case Ozia has any other ships.” Celestia said as Zuko gets on the chariot.

“So if I'm going to be Fire Lord after the war is over, what are you going to do?” Zuko asked his uncle.

“After I re-conquer Ba Sing Se, I'm going to re-conquer my tea shop, and I'm going to play Pai Sho every day.” Iroh answered as he flips a Pai Sho piece and catches it as he speaks.

“Goodbye, General Iroh.” Twilight said as her group leaves for the island while Zuko’s group goes to the Fire Nation.

“Goodbye, everyone. Today, destiny is our friend. I know it.” General Iroh said.

==================================================================

Meanwhile, Firebrand is still swimming to the front of the ‘island.’ He takes a deep breath and goes back underwater taking a closer look at the ‘island.’ He sees a giant eye open, and swims back in surprise. He is then lifted up, out of the water, by a giant paw. He then sees the head of the creature go above the waterline and sees that the ‘island’ is really a...

“A lion turtle!” He said out of surprise, having heard of them from his father. And, like the Avatar before, they were considered a myth by many. Fire’ then bows before the gigantic creature as Owlowiscious lands on his back. “Maybe you can help me. Everyone, even my own past lives, is expecting me to end somepony's life. But I don't know if I can do it. What should I do?”

The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost.” The lion turtle said, with his mouth not moving at all. “The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light.” As it was speaking, near the end, the lion turtle slowly brought its other paw and placed two claws on Fire,’ one on his forehead and the other on his chest, and a bright light issues forth from it.

A bit later, the lion turtle's paw goes slowly toward a small cliff in Geo Firma, and Fire’ steps off onto dry land. Fire’ now also has a small crown that's like Twilight’s tiara, only with a fire like pattern on it with red and orange gems and a white robe that has lines in the colors of the Elements of Harmony and Nature that lead to a white orb on his chest. “Wait for him. He will come.” The lion turtle said to Fire,’ who bows as the lion turtle as he sinks back, goes mostly under water until just a small part of him is visible, and swims off.

==================================================================

At Ozia’s base, he and his soldiers are preparing for the upcoming battle. “It's time for this world to end in fire, and for a new world to be born from the ashes.” He said as he sees the comet enter the atmosphere. It’s original blue color then turns a burning orang as it flies across the sky.

==================================================================

In Geo Firma, Fire’ sees the comet appear behind him. He then looks to the ocean and waits for Ozia to come.