• Published 23rd Mar 2016
  • 286 Views, 0 Comments

The Grove - TehSporkBandit



A man seeks respite by following a legend about a secret apple grove.

  • ...
 0
 286

Not Completely Hidden

Dripping echoed between even footfalls as Paramonos carefully strode onwards. Sunlight peering in from the end of the cave reflected off the wet interior of the cave and his armor to mirror the sparkle in his eyes.

At long last, I have found it. I have finally found it!

Shield raised, sword sheathed, spear at the ready, he emerged from the mouth of the cave. But he stumbled slightly with a grimace as he quickly looked to his left and right. No one, still, no one is there... The leather straps of his shield squeaked and his spear shook slightly as he tightened his grip.

A copse of trees lay before him, too many to count and too thick to see how large the hidden grotto might be. Stones crunched beneath his sandals as Paramonos shifted his stance. His eyes swept back forth in vain, trying to pick out some idea as to what was to come.

Gravel skittered down the small slope as his sandals shakily found purchase. If only he could hear a command of "forwards, men" or "at the ready", then it might as well be another battle, he could handle that. Shadows flickered in the corner of his eye and he responded in kind, thrusting his shield forward and hoisting his spear over his head in a well praticed movement. Steady...

There he stood, transfixed on the roots of a particularly knobbed tree. Curiously, the roots seemed especially thick in two larger sections on opposite sides and the bark looked as though it was intricately carved. It must have been a fox, no, too large. A polecat, maybe? Too quick. A hare, at the very least, yes, it must have been a hare. After a few steps forward, he slowly exhaled his bated breath, spear arm tensing uselessly.

Stalking into the trees, he looked up at the splaying branches, spotting crisp, red fruit between vibrant leaves of green. A fallen apple, then, that's all it was, must have been. As his eyes looked around the bases of the trees, not a single leaf, burrow, or piece of fruit could be seen between the interlaced roots. And yet, he kept taking measured steps forward, as if something was drawing him further under the darkening canopy.

Dread suddenly filled him while his heart dropped and Paramonos turned on the spot, quickly bringing his spear to bear before launching it into the silence. A sharp crack rang out followed by a disapproving hum. "Is that any way tah treat your host?" hissed a feminine voice. "Tell me, who are yah tah be so bold and ungrateful?"

Sword drawn and poking around the edge of his shield, he slowly turned a quarter circle. "I am Paramonos The Rock, Paramonos The Unyielding, The Undefeated." Those names sure sounded like no more than names to him as his heart beat out of his chest. "To whom do I have to thank for such a gracious invitation?"

"Oh, so polite," she whispered, "and what ah fine name you have, sir." Leaves rustled behind him and he whirled just in time to see a shadow retreat behind a nearby tree. "But, tell me, honestly, do yah really have such grand titles?"

"Yes, and what of them?" Paramonos spit back through gritted teeth.

Another brush of foliage sent him whirling as she giggled. "It's just that yah seem tah be rather nervous for an unyieldin' stone." An apple fell from above and hit the edge of the shield, making him kick himself backwards, stumbling slightly over an errant root. "Rocks become weathered and are washed away. Wouldn't yah rather be something more, something that time has a harder time destroying?"

Blood ran cold through his veins as he stared into the darkness. "I suppose there is truth to that. And what would you have me do in return for such a 'privilege'?" Silence bore down on him, for how many minutes, he couldn't tell.

"Surrender." She whispered and Paramonos slowly turned towards her voice. Through the shadows, he could barely see a serpentine form. "Surrender yourself and become ah piece of mah orchard." He blinked and looked down at his feet before shaking his head. "Shed that cursed form and live with me forever."

He sighed. "Become a simple tree? I will not cast aside my freedom to be such a meager thing." The shadowy figure leapt out of his vision as he tilted his head back up. "When I die, I will die a hero, remembered for all eternity."

Vicious snarling caught Paramonos's ear, quickly bringing his shield up as he turned. It took the brunt of the force but sent him reeling and he lashed out with his sword. "And we both know what awaits you after you die," she hissed, batting the sword out of his hand as he tried to bring it down upon her, "you've slain so many out of 'duty', out of 'honor'. Did they all truly deserve death?"

He watched the sword sail away from him, a quick glint in the darkness as images flooded back into his mind. Battlefields strewn with corpses, civilians slaughtered in the streets, 'criminals' skinned and hung from pikes above city walls.

Of course not... A young man, no, a boy no older than Paramonos had been when he was first handed a wooden sword, standing between him and a wounded captain.

War makes no distinctions... That same boy, struck to the ground and gurgling blood as he weakly grasps for his sword.

Is there such thing as a just death for the innocent? That sword, wrenched from the boy's hand and driven into his own skull.

"Give up and know peace, Paramonos."

There he stood, gazing through tired eyes at the figure before him. "... Will it really be peace?"

She slithered forward, sleek, blue scales giving way to smooth tan skin at the waist. A flawless coat of orange fur starting just below the rib cage, short and supple as it thickened around her shoulders. The fur stopped just short of the elbows on her slender arms and her head was round with a small muzzle, peppered with white freckles. Serpents of dazzling gold sat in a nest atop her head, each slithering amidst another as they looked at him.

A smile, a warm, sweet, pure smile graced her features as she looked him in the eyes. "Yes, ah promise."

Tears blurred his vision as his eyes fell to the ground. His arms went limp, dropping his shield with a soft clang as the tears flowed freely. Can it really be over?

Delicate fingers gracefully cupped his chin. "It's okay, sugahcube," she shushed, "you'll never have to worry about anything ever again." Paramonos allowed her to tilt his head up, a flash of red stinging his eyes as he looked back upon her caring face.

Time slowed as he went rigid. Body numb, his arms felt like water as they stretched, fingers lacing themselves down around his legs as they joined his toes. The small content smile etched upon his face became no more than deep grooves as his tears dried into the bark.

Such beautiful, emerald eyes...

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment