• Published 5th Mar 2016
  • 5,692 Views, 858 Comments

Earth Without Us - Starscribe



Human civilization ended on May 23, 2015, when everyone on earth became a pony. This is the story of how they lived, how they died, and what they achieved.

  • ...
37
 858
 5,692

Episode 3.10: A Few Lost Things

The battle was a long, gruesome affair. Any historical questions Archive had ever considered about what it might've been like to watch a battle between technologically uneven powers was now sated. Jackie and Ezri could not be touched—any attempt to grab them ended in ponies sliding off some invisible barrier. Any that got too close to Jackie died swiftly to her dagger, which cut metal armor like it wasn't even there. Ezri's stun-rifle left anypony who approached from her flank unconscious on the floor—perhaps the most merciful thing they could hope for.

Eventually, it was over. Perhaps an army twice as large, fighting in the day instead of in darkness that advantaged the ponies they were hunting, with the support of battlemages or siege weapons… perhaps such a force could've killed them.

Archive was surrounded by the dead and dying—the ponies that had ignored her plea for surrender and charged into battle to defend their general. Maybe with an HPI Exo-surgery unit she could've saved their lives. As it was, the only mercy she had to offer them was her dagger. Any with wounds shallow enough that they could still move limped away from her on their own, fleeing in terror as fast as they could go. She let them—their prospects weren't good, but they were better than a swift knife to the throat.

As the sun started to rise, Alex let herself collapse to the dirt in the center of the clearing. She felt weak, her hooves shaking slightly from the horrors of her night. The pistol had kept working long after she had fired the first six shots—it still worked, so far as she could tell.

"Like the wings." Jackie sat down beside her in the dirt, wiping the blood from her dagger on the ragged clothes of a nearby corpse. "Guess you finally went over to the dark side. It's a good look for you."

Alex only sighed. "More were supposed to run. I've never seen ponies keep going after such a devastating opening attack." She looked around the clearing. A few crows had already started to gather. It wouldn't take long before the smell started. "Blow up one pony, the others live. This was not the equation."

Ezri nestled into her other side. Or tried—she was taller too, even moreso now that she had the armor. Of course, that wasn't the only detail that was different. Her body had changed to something bright green. She had antlers poking up from her head along with the horn, as bright orange as the suggestions further down her body.

In her weakness, Archive didn't even have to use any effort to exchange focus on reality for the unseen world. For a moment, all of her fatigue was forgotten, and she wrapped her hooves around Ezri's neck. "You did it, bug! You're fixed!"

"You did it," Ezri muttered, though she didn't try to escape the hug. "I didn't do anything."

"It's the ancient tale of the immortals." Jackie's voice got lower, like she was imitating a movie trailer announcer. "Long ago, the power of the alicorns was divided. Only one pony had the strength to unite them, and her name—"

Alex rose to her hooves. "I don't want answers. I've been… It's been weeks now. Weeks of trying to scrape out a living for these refugees. I haven't been able to learn a damn thing. Except that… there was apparently some kind of disease… killed lots of ponies…" She turned away from the carnage and started walking, a straight course back to the settlement. Her companions kept pace easily, not seeming to feel any of the fatigue that was dragging her down with exhaustion. "I have to bring a team… to collect the weapons and burn the dead. I won't have the first thing newcomers see to be a clearing full of corpses."

"Settlement, huh? How big is it?" Ezri bounced along beside her, as unaffected by the slaughter as Jackie had been.

"We can talk about that after. Why don't you tell me… the year. What year is it?"

"1362 AE," Jackie answered.

A thousand years. Alex let it sink in, trying to wrap her head around such a tremendous number. She had been one of the oldest creatures alive, before she died. Now… now she supposed both of these ponies were older. "What happened to the HPI?"

"Gone." Ezri no longer bounced. "Like, after you died… there was a big war, just like you thought. Lots of people died…"

"We won!" Jackie said. "That part was good!"

Ezri continued where she left off. "But everything was trashed. So they left. The humans who are left are living on Olympus… it's a pretty awesome space station. But the shield makes it suck to live there, so we can't. Only a few little research stations left on the ground now."

A war had been fought and won without her. Archive felt her shoulders sag even more. Her ponies had needed her, and she hadn't been there. "I knew we were strong," she muttered, staring down at her hooves. "We weren't going to be made into slaves."

"They'd probably want you up there if they could have you," Jackie admitted. "So let's not tell them. It's shit living somewhere without any magic."

"Do you think they'd help my little settlement here?" Alex asked. "The battle we fought today… it was only the first. The next army will be bigger than three ponies can fight alone, even if they're exceptionally skilled and well-equipped."

The two of them shared a look. "They, uh… probably won't." Jackie looked away as she said it. "Back in the day, when the second plague was killing everypony, humans tried to help. They couldn't, and ponies pretty much hated them for it. They were immune, after all. Eventually, a whole medical convoy went down…" She trailed off.

Ezri winced, shaking her head. "The only one who tries now is Athena, and she can only do what they let her. I guess the way you wrote her, humans are in charge until they get their starships made? Since those aren't done… that's mostly what she has to do. Leave us ponies for the dogs."

"She made a neat gun." Alex glanced at the holster on her belt. "I've never shot anything as well-balanced as this. I don't even know what it's shooting, but it doesn't seem to mind going through magic." They were more than halfway back by then. A handful of ponies already moved on the streets, though they gave the three of them a wide berth. Considering they were armed, armored, and covered in blood, it was easy to see why they would be avoided. "What about you two? You said something about… did you find an Alicorn artifact? Not that I'm not thrilled you're alive. But only dragons live… over a thousand years."

Again the two of them shared a look. Ezri spoke first. "When you died… I guess the magic had to go somewhere? You were about to be an Alicorn, but you weren't there anymore… so the three of us shared it."

"Three of you?" Archive hadn't thought back to those memories since coming back. They weren't her most pleasant recollections. "The guard, Isaac? Shouldn’t he have died of thaumic exposure?"

They shook their heads. "He's ageless, like us. Immune to magic, too. Has a kind of magic of his own, but… it's complicated." Jackie shrugged one shoulder. "He's something else. Not completely human. Athena would love to duplicate his mutation, but she hasn't yet. He's the only human who can use magic instead of get killed by it."

Archive stopped walking, her ears jerking to alertness. "Wait. You're saying… we did it? We found a way to let humans live in the magical field? We won't have to run away to another galaxy?"

"Isaac would be better at explaining," Ezri said. "He can't share the immunity, not yet. Athena's hopeful, but no results yet."

The outer walls of the building came into view. She could see smoke rising from the courtyard, a thin white line that hinted at what was going on inside. Her stomach rumbled at the smell of fresh bread. "One last question. What are you two gonna do? I know I don't have very much to offer you in the settlement. We're still working on our basics—food isn't great, and there isn't enough firewood some nights."

Jackie grinned at her. "I remember a pony, a long long time ago. She was one of the richest ponies in the world, but she left it behind to walk across the country and work in a mine. She wanted to help some ponies who couldn't help themselves. It's time we return the favor."

"Well, you," Ezri added. "I just got dragged along for the ride both times."

* * *

Waiting at the Bloodgate was Alex's favorite responsibility.

The gate could not be moved—its immense weight in solid iron was obstacle enough, but Alex had long since decoded the runes written onto its surface. This portal was a beacon coded for a specific location. The difference of even a few inches might be enough to break the connection to every other gate in the world.

Alex hated to know that with every new refugee that was sent to her, some deer (or other intelligent creature) had to die. One day she would find and destroy every single one of the Bloodgates, and erase every copy of those spells in every book she could find.

For now, though, at least Bloodgates represented a convenient refugee delivery mechanism. It was far easier to get everyone together when there was a primitive religion sending them to her in a constant stream.

The gate and its clearing were one of many parts of the city that now sat under constant guard, with a bell that could be easily sounded in the event of an emergency. Alex was at that precise moment sitting up in the observation tower, where she could see the gate and all the entrances at the same time.

Each of the entrances except the one pointing back to the settlement had been piled high with rubble topped with rusty metal spikes. Guards trained in the empty space—not just the elderly founders of the New American Equine Association, but plenty of raw recruits as well.

Ever since the death of Damocles and the dissolution of his army, the Association had gone basically unopposed. Predators of all kinds scattered as their ponies took more and more of the city.

Much more importantly, the death of Damocles had demonstrated to all that the Association was different from all the previous little colonies. Archive's greatest success, of course, had been in getting the ponies to pass the vote allowing non-newcomers to the city to join the Association.

In less than a month, they had gone from just under a hundred ponies to well over a thousand.

By all accounts, Archive was far too valuable to sit as a scout up in a tower and watch. Like every other pony in the Association, she had one day off in seven. She used that day to sit in the tower.

Sometimes, it paid off.

The gate flickered to life, and a training drill in the field below ground to a halt. Even Tom—now the drill sergeant and her most trusted pony in military matters—didn't try to stop the recruits in their stares.

It was as though someone had poured huge buckets of blood from nowhere through a system of channels and inlets in the metal itself. Liquid curtains poured down, blanking out the empty bay behind the gate.

Alex tapped the bell twice with a mallet, before leaping from the edge of the tower. She spread her wings and rolled in the air, catching herself on the ground in front of the gate just beside a large set of menacing tools. Clippers, cutters, tongs, all rested submerged in a barrel of oil.

The Bloodgate rippled. Archive felt it before she saw it—a surge of magic from far away that meant the traveler was about to arrive. She straightened her gunbelt, brushed back a few strands of mane, and repressed her grin. Almost every day saw at least one new arrival to the city.

The entire stream of new ponies had been rescued by the Association, protecting them from the dehumanizing brutality that was surviving on the street. Instead, they kept up a fresh influx of new blood, in agony over their missing civilization but ready to embrace any alternative that presented itself.

I can't be there for everypony, Archive thought. But I can be there for you.

A pony emerged from the gate, a pony hogtied with thick rope and covered with bruises. She wasn't anything special, really. Lime green, with an orange mane and an oak tree for a cutie mark. She was an adult mare, though beyond that there was no telling her age. Her mane and tail had been freshly (and roughly) cut, but otherwise she looked intact. No more serious wounds, as the returning sometimes bore.

Archive had been lucky enough to catch a pony on her shift only twice before. She climbed the ramp, even as the courtyard filled with Tom's shouting voice and drills resumed. The portal closed with a few faint splashes of blood, though the liquid itself always faded away.

The pony had wide, terrified eyes. She was screaming—something incoherent and completely hysterical. Alex waited patiently for her to get her screams out and settle down into a resting position, panting. She couldn't really move with the way she had been hogtied. Whoever threw you in here hated you enough to waste a rope hoping to make you suffer. I wonder what you did.

Unfortunately, Alex's powers would not allow her such glimpses—the lives before ponies were open to her, but after… that was far harder to read, even for a very recent refugee.

"Hey there." She waved a hoof vaguely in the pony's direction. "Are you calm yet? I'd like to talk with you." She made her way over to the pony, looking down at her.

The pony only started, shivering all over. "W-what… what are you going to…"

"I'd like to start by cutting you loose," she said, her voice calm and methodical. "But I don't want you running off and getting hurt. I know you're scared… you've just been through hell, I can see that. If you can be calm long enough for us to have a conversation, that hell can be over. I want your word you won't run away."

The mare took a long time to respond. "A-alright." She fell onto her side, going as limp as a sack of rocks.

Alex walked a little bit away, to the barrel of oil. "I'm going to take a knife out of this barrel here. I'm only cutting you loose—please don't freak out. Stay still, and you'll be out of that rope in no time."

She waited for the acknowledgement from the pony before taking the long handle in her teeth, walking over. She shook out the oil, before bending down and slicing gently at the rope around the mare's hooves. One slice, and she set it down, doing the rest of the untangling with her own hooves.

"My name is Alex," she said, looking over at the pony. "What's yours?" A little innocent conversation, something to calm the pony, bring her back to a world she could understand. It had worked with the last two Lonely Day had helped.

"Really?" To Alex's surprise, the mare smiled a little. "I had a son named Alex. Alexander was always too long for him. I'm Mary. Mary Haggard."

Alex dropped the rope.

Then she cried.

It didn't matter—the pony was already untied, and she could sit up without further obstruction. Mary did so, her fear still obvious in flattened ears and a stationary tail. "Is something wrong?"

Alex whimpered. Tears streamed freely from her eyes, splashing the cement where magical blood had been only moments before. She could barely keep herself upright. "Y-you…" She sniffed, wiping some of the tears away with the back of her leg. "Of all times… all places… how could you be here?"

Her pain translated to fear in Mary. She tried to rise to her hooves—quite awkwardly. "I didn't have a choice. Monsters sent me here… monsters who couldn't understand me and…" She glanced down at the rope. "Forced me here. If I'm not wanted, I'm sorry, but—"

Alex cut her off. "It's not that!" Her eyes opened, and she saw the pony standing in front of her with her magical senses. She saw a single mother with a (mostly) empty nest, doing her best to survive on whatever jobs she could scrape together. She saw a life of love and service to her children.

She didn't care that the recruits would be watching, she didn't care that this pony wouldn't know her. She reached out and hugged the pony with all the weakness she had. Magic filled her, filled her as Archive had never felt it before. For a single, terrible second, Archive could see across the vast expanse of time to the Event—all the broken households, all the families torn to pieces and lovers who would never meet again.

For just a second, Archive let herself hope that things might be different.

There was too much magic for her to contain. Guards along the rubble walls, recruits doing their drills, even Tom. They all stopped what they were doing, overwhelmed by emotion none of them could understand.

The moment passed. Mary, at the very brunt of the magic, looked a little dazed as she stared back at Alex. The fear was erased; the confusion and the pain at her treatment had been swept aside.

"I've been waiting for you… a very long time," Alex whispered. "Our lives are so short, time so vast… I never dreamed I would see your face again. You don't know me… but I know you."

She blushed, unable to meet the pony's eyes anymore. "Who are you?" There was no fear left in Mary's tone anymore. Instead, there was something almost like comprehension.

"I already told you," she said, through her tears. "I'm Alex. Alexander Haggard."

The pony stared down at her for several long moments, unblinking. Then Mary embraced her.

"I guess I know even less than I thought I did, Alex," her mother said, when she had finally released her. "You still sound a little like yourself. Just not very…"

"You're right about that." Alex had spent years dreading this particular moment. What it might be like to meet her family as someone else—a different pony than she was supposed to be. Now that the moment had finally come, it hardly seemed to matter. Understanding still filled her, along with a sense of distant minds calling to her. Perhaps she would've gone to them, if it hadn't been for her mother only feet away.

"I'm a mare now. Err… a girl. The same thing that made everyone into pon—into horses… made me into this." She chuckled. "It's kindof a long story."

"Well that seems like an oversight." Mary sat down again, and as she did finally seemed to see the courtyard around them, the ponies drilling and the makeshift walls. The ruined city rising around them on all sides. "Oh my God."

Alex almost didn't remember that she was supposed to be here to greet the newcomer refugee and introduce them into the settlement. "Right, yeah." She brushed a few stray tears from her face, then straightened. "You're in… well, that's a long story too. But if you want to walk, I can tell you on the way. You can walk, right?"

Mary nodded. "Not well." She was still staring up at the buildings. "We're not in a Planet of the Apes movie, are we? We're not going to find the Statue of Liberty half buried in the sand somewhere? Where's James and Elizabeth? Are they here? Is James a woman now too?"

"James and Elizabeth aren't back yet," she said. "I haven't seen them since the world ended. It's, uh… worse than the movie. The world is even more hostile. But that doesn't matter—I won't let anypony hurt you."

Alex hopped down off the ramp, turning. "Corporal!"

Tom was at her side in seconds, saluting. At this point, the gesture was mostly for the recruits. He would never have bothered if they were anywhere else. "Madame President." He inclined his head slightly to Mary. "Welcome to New York."

"I'd like to take this refugee back to the settlement immediately, instead of waiting for the end of your drills," she said. "Can you spare us two ponies for an escort?"

Tom's eyes focused briefly on the gun hanging at her side. "An escort for you, Madame President? I expected you would be escorting us."

"Preventative measure," she explained. "This refugee has already suffered enough. I don't want her to… to have to see any more."

"Understood." Tom turned away, barking instructions to the ponies watching the walls. One came from each of the three barricades, each one armed and armored with their best in aluminum. All three looked down at Alex with naked awe.

"Escort the president and this refugee back to the settlement," Tom ordered. "Then double-time it back to me, understood?"

They saluted, though each was awkward about it. Nothing like the crisp precision Tom himself used.

"Thank you all for your help," Alex said, turning away and offering her hoof to steady Mary behind her. "Come on, Mom. You aren't going to like what I have to show you, but it's better than where you came from."

"That wouldn't be very hard." Mary fell into step beside her, albeit at a far slower pace than Alex would've liked. They made their way across the courtyard, several of the recruits whispering and staring as they did. Though their conversation had been too far away to overhear, ponies all over had just heard her say "Mom".

Alex didn't care. They passed through the open gate on the far side, then onto the open streets. They had done the best they could to clear the rubble and refuse away from the route between the bloodgate and their settlement, in the hopes that anyone who found the clear path would follow it.

Alex explained as they walked. She summarized the end of the world, the magic that had ended everything. She told the story of civilizations rising and falling, and the new status quo that hated refugees and everything they were.

"So we got together," Alex finished, as they passed again into settlement territory. Simple wooden fences and a few ponies standing guard marked the beginning of new fields, planted where old roads and buildings and parks had been. The park at the center of the housing block just wasn't big enough when the settlement had grown to over a thousand ponies.

She waved goodbye to their escort, before returning to the path. "We're still growing all the time. We rescue everyone we can, and we're always getting bigger. Learning new skills. Give us time, and we'll rebuild the world."

Farmers tended to the crops. Workmen dug irrigation ditches, or expanded fences. Guards patrolled the whole thing. Only the sidewalk had been spared, giving them a clear path through the field. Magic swelled in her chest again as they passed through it all. The light of civilization was burning here again. Where once there had been barbarism, now there were ponies who spoke kindly and worked with pride and slept with full bellies.

"Looks like you have a long way to go." Mary hadn't screamed or argued as other refugees had done, only walked close and listened carefully. "The place that threw me into the gate was like medieval times too."

Alex chuckled. "The difference between us and them is that in another decade, they'll still be in ancient times and we won't. Together, we have all the knowledge of human civilization. They burned it all when they destroyed Alexandria."

The central building could no longer house all of them, and several of its neighbors had also been appropriated for the task. As they got close, it was very easy to spot the difference. The occupied structures had been completely scrubbed, and often reinforced with new cement or wooden blocks. Windows were plastered over. Alex had taken to flying her way to her apartment on the very top floor, but she couldn't do that. Mary was an earth pony, so there would never be any flying. I guess I know how Sky felt around me.

"We have, uh… a procedure for this," she said. "We normally do housing by where you previously grew up. East Coast in one building, Midwest in another, etc. Gives people common ground. But under the circumstances… if you'd like, you can live with me. It's up nine flights of stairs, but…"

"I love stairs," Mary said, in the exact same sarcastic tone she had always used when they visited public buildings. She had always forced herself to use them, even when elevators were present. Something about heart health. "That nice man was calling you president. And now, everyone is staring at us. Did you…"

"Yes." Alex let herself feel a dash of pride. "I had to. But the reasons are… too complex to explain right now."

"My son is president," Mary muttered, and this time there was no sarcasm in her tone. "President of a… country?"

"Sure." Alex rolled her eyes. "Just one settlement for now, though. Maybe a country one day. We'll have to grow past refugees and their children first, but…" She shook her head. "That's a story for another time. We've got the registrar in that building right there. Let's make you a citizen before we do anything else. Then… then maybe you can meet my daughter."

Mary struck her harmlessly on the shoulder. "Don't lie to me, Alex. The whole world might've turned upside-down, but I can tell by looking you're too young for that. Too young to be yourself, even…"

"She's adopted," Alex muttered, dragging her a little towards the central building. The city office was down there now, along with its single staff member. "I don't think you know pony ages yet, though. I'm plenty old enough for…" She blushed. "That. Almost everypony here is. Only a few children, and since we all age slow…" She shook her head again. "That's not the most important thing right now. We have a class for new refugees, it will go over all that stuff with you. Let's just stick to the basics."

They made their way to the office. It didn't matter that the overflowing magic had long faded. It didn't matter that there were already whispers about her going through the settlement. It didn't even matter that there might be a whole country coming to kill them all.

Alex had part of her family back. No storm in the universe could compete with a star that bright.