• Published 25th Feb 2016
  • 1,503 Views, 167 Comments

P.B. and J. - TheAmazingMe



Blueblood has royally screwed up his life since landing in the lap of luxury. His foalhood dreams of rising to become ruler of Equestria grow more faint with every new princess. Can a blunt Baker be the pony that Blueblood didn't know he needed?

  • ...
4
 167
 1,503

Prince Blueblood and Precedence

In spite of being a less formal gathering of both Princess’s inner circles, there were the usual formalities to be observed. The special guests entered, followed by the lesser lords and ladies of both courts, the barons and baronesses. Next came the viscounts and viscountesses, the earls and countesses, and finally, the dukes and duchesses.

As lesser Prince, I had held equal standing with the dukes. Technically, I’d had my own dukedom in Celestia’s house, but I’d given up that title when I became Luna’s problem. Now that I was an asset and Master of Luna’s House, I was below only the Princesses themselves. Celestia’s Master of the House was my only equal.

Looking across to me, Lord Kibitz offered a rare smile. “This may be informal and entirely too forward of me Your Highness, but I am glad to see you’ve made your own way to greatness.”

Given the extent of my relationship with the duke had been a few limited conversions, I was actually touched. “Kibitz, I am honored to have you think highly of me. Or actually, to have you think of me at all.”

He laughed softly. “We gave up on you just on the cusp of your return to propriety.”

“Some would say that I have yet to return to propriety, sir,” I reminded him.

“I have heard such sentiments. It is regrettable that there are those who think so little of love that they believe in can only exist in one form.” He set a hoof on my shoulder. “I hope you never considered me to disapprove of such relationships.”

I shook my head. “Your reputation is solid, much more so than even Princess Luna’s. And I’m sure she’d agree.”

Kibitz bowed his head. The music that signalled our entrance began. He nodded towards the door. “Shall we?”

We stepped through together. Walking down the staircase, we paused at the bottom before going out separate ways. I headed to Joe at the punch bowl, Kibitz headed over to speak with Fancy Pants.

I stood next to Joe and waited for the formal fanfare for both sisters. Instead, the doors opened. Before I had a chance to tsk, a unicorn mare in strange yet simple robes walked in. Two unarmed guards in armor I didn’t recognize flanked her as she came down the stair case. They followed just behind her as she made her way straight to me.

A PLHG guard appeared on my other side and whispered to me. “The Unicorn Temple High Priestess, Exarch Glory.” The guard took a step back, and I locked gazes with the head of a very reclusive order of priestesses.

“Your Eminence, Exarch Glory.” I nodded respectfully.

The Exarch nodded her white-maned head. “Your Royal Highness, Master of the House of the Night.”

I twitched a bit, then decided to correct her. “It’s just Your Highness, forgive me the confusion, Your Eminence. As a non-alicorn I am unable to ascend to the throne and thus am not in line.”

“It is still a possibility, Your Highness. That is the message I sought to give you. Should you only value yourself.” She nodded and then turned away.

I might not have known much about the specifics of her order, but I knew better than to question her further. The Unicorn Temple Priesthood venerated alicorns. All that being said, they were also the most reclusive order, their head temple in the city was closest to the mountain itself, rather than near the cliff and castle. Therefore, they were the least likely to have any inkling of the goings on, rumors and gossip.

There was any number of reasons not to take the Exarch’s words to heart. And yet, that little foal who yearned to be more than some crude common pony seized on them and held them close. Shaking my head, I turned to Joe. “That was weird.”

“No kidding,” Joe said as he looked at the Exarch’s almost unreal form.

The fanfare finally hit. All eyes turned to the top of the stairs. Celestia and Luna emerged. Celestia was dressed in a transparent golden wrap over a shimmering white gown that fell to just above her hoofguards. Luna opted for a metallic royal purple gown of similar length. Both wore the tiaras and hoofwear they were most known for, albeit with a bit more polish than normal.

The Equestrian National Anthem played as they stepped over the threshold and down the stairs. For once, I actually sang along with every pony.

“Our hearts we pledge to thee
Great Land of Harmony
Sun and Moon shines!

Where the six elements
Protect with elegance
Our Friendship excellence
And Love Divine!

The tribes that once were split
In icy gloom adrift
Sing now in tune

All ponies now one race
Others shall we embrace
Our dreams all in one place
Beneath one moon!

Our talents we shall pledge
Lest chaos seek to wedge
Our hearts as one

With Generosity,
Laughter and Loyalty
Magic, Kindness, and Honesty
Shines like the sun!”

Celestia and Lune smiled brightly at the bottom of the stairs as the anthem finished. Once completed, they walked gracefully over to either side of the room and greeted their guests. Celestia walked first to greet Exarch Glory and Kibitz. Luna, of course, came first to me.

“I thought this was to be informal.” Although phrased as a statement, I recognized the question.

I shrugged. “This is as informal as it gets. No military guests outside of the house guards and the city guard we invited. No press. Guest list under fifty, mostly peers and staff. And, with Twilight and Cadence, there are two more verses of the Anthem we could have sung.”

Luna shook her head, her smile only a touch less bright. “I suppose the point of the night won’t be lost on a gathering less than I’d originally planned, yet more than I more recently expected.”

I smiled warmly. “See, that’s the spirit, ma’am!”

She shot me a look. “Easy on the ma'am. I might be old enough to be your grandmother several times over, but I’m still young at heart and mind.”

“It would be impolite of anypony to mention your age,” I reminded her. “Besides, I still have to live with you. No point teasing you too much this early in the night, even if you are long lived!”

Her look withered for a moment before she laughed lightly. “And I owe my longevity solely to having a magical connection to the moon, as Celestia owes hers to the sun. Were it not for Discord breaking the natural laws of this world, we would be but footnotes in history. Legends long forgotten to all but the most meticulous of historians.”

There was a question I’d have to remember to ask later. This setting wasn’t appropriate, especially given the onset of war. Would the damage Discord did to the natural order ever be repaired? And, if it was, would the sisters begin to age again?

I shook my head to clear those thoughts. They truly were for another time. “Exarch Glory seems to think that it’s not too late for me to become an alicorn.”

Luna gazed at my cutie mark. “Not to sound sexist, but there haven’t been nearly as many male alicorns. I believe Celestia expected you to become one due to something she once saw in you. That potential is hard to diminish, even if you make mistakes along the way. Even if you don’t succeed in the way other ponies expect.”

There was that weird little feeling again. “My magic is nothing special, Luna.”

“Perhaps now is not the best time to discuss this. But allow me to say that neither love nor friendship start out as anything particularly special in the beginning.” Luna took a step back and smiled once more. “If you’ll excuse me.”

“Of course, Your Royal Highness.” I bowed my head and stepped to the side to let her glide by.

Joe cut into the large donut cakes and began plating them carefully. Servers appeared to take the small plates to the guests from the Exarch down to the red-coated reporter in the back. I made my way over to my rescuers, all laughing amongst themselves and enjoying the dessert.

Div and Carnelian stood to attention and saluted. They were in dress uniform. I saluted in response and smiled. “As you were. I trust the dessert is to your liking?”

“Yes, Your Highness,” the quartet of ponies chorused back.

“Our compliments to your special somepony!” Bruiser added.

“Let it never be said that a Canterlot donutier couldn't create something even the peerage wouldn’t love!” Life Story chimed in.

“It’s good to see you out of the bandages, Your Highness,” Carnelian said. “How are you doing?”

I touched my cheek. “I am well, the healing process is still underway. I am told much of this will fade and my fur will cover what doesn’t go away.”

“I feel like I should apologize. If I had only gotten to you sooner, Your Highness,” Div began, but I held up my hoof.

“None of that,” I ordered. I turned to look at Life. “Mr. Story, you said something that has only increasingly caught my attention. There are records in the Crystal Empire that mention the House of the Night?”

Life nodded. “The Library of the Crystal City managed to preserve some historical documents related to various contemporary noble lines. The preservation of these records almost certainly would have meant death during King Sombra’s reign of terror, as they include the royal line that ruled prior to him seizing control. That line is mostly extinct, although their closest relatives married into Bitaly’s noble houses and thus...”

“Princess Cadance actually has a legitimate claim to the throne beyond Celestia’s appointment. That’s actually really fascinating.” For once, I actually meant that. Given how my own family line assured there would always be an heir, apparently even the ancient Crystal Empire royalty made the same insurance policies. “I guess nobility will always seek to ensure that it goes on.”

“Generally speaking, yes. But also in those records are House of the Night honors and titles bestowed not only on Crystal Empire nobles, but also a copy of the records kept by historians in the Castle of the Two Sisters!” Life sipped from his glass of champagne.

I mulled that revelation over. The ties between the two nations were that close? “The originals were destroyed during the Celestia and Luna’s...falling out. It’s amazing that they survived after all these years, frozen in time in a library of a lost city.”

Life nodded. “Isn’t it?”

“There are things that need restoring in my aunt’s House. These records are going to be a big part of that restoration.” I offered my hoof to Mr. Story. “Thank you for letting me know.”

He shook my hoof. “The librarian was going to tell Luna eventually, but they wanted to make sure all the records were found and accounted for. Some had been hidden in private homes around the city and getting them remembered and returned has been a big issue.”

I shrugged. “I’ll take what I can get for now. I’m going to the Empire tomorrow.”

“I’m glad I could be of service, Your Highness.” Life smiled.

I bid my farewells and shook the hooves of my three rescuers once more before leaving their company and speaking to a few of the minor Court nobles.

Amongst their number I found a familiar, If not exactly welcome, face. “Baron Lands, it’s been quite some time!” I exclaimed by way of greeting.

He looked about as thrilled as I felt. Then, his expression returned to something more pleasant. “Your Highness, Prince Blueblood. I hear, now Master of the House of the Night? I suppose it really is better to rule in hell?”

“Hell is what you make of it. But then you’d know that, having come from the Badlands.” I was glad my tongue seemed to be as sharp as ever.

His expression soured, he always was a prideful type when it came to his home. “I’ll remind His Highness that Las Pegasus is technically in the Badlands. As is Appleloosa. The frontier gives way to much progress.”

I nodded and placed a hoof on Baron Lands’ shoulder. “I could use some more progressive friends. I’ve finally started to live up to my potential, and anything could happen to those who fall in with a pony who is respected by all four Princesses.”

“A ceasefire in a long lifetime of being at war merely leaves both parties ever more wary of each other. You might have some pull with the lesser houses, but even Celestia’s blessing won’t get you far with her Courtiers.” The baron turned, as if he were about to leave, before he remembered his etiquette. “By your leave, Your Highness?”

I stepped into his space, playfully adjusting his tie. “I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. My old tutor taught me many things, including how to find out what I want to know. You’ll find that recently I’ve become very...tenacious.”

Baron Lands bowed his head. “His Highness always was persistent. I’m sure you will find whatever it is you’re looking for. Now, by your leave?”

“Enjoy the party, Bountiful.” His eyes narrowed at my use of his first name. He strongly hated it.

“Thank you, Your Highness. I hope you will as well.” With that, he turned away.

“You really know how to win friends and influence ponies,” Joe said drily.

I turned to him and took one of the glasses he offered, having finished drinking my first glass by now. “Thank you. It was what I was born to do.”

He opened his mouth to say something, but the fanfare struck again as the doors to the balcony garden opened. Celestia and Luna stepped out to inspect the flower. Exarch Glory followed at a respectful distance, her curiosity just barely noticeable on an impressively impassive face.

“Shall we?” I asked, leading the way to the door. Kibitz fell into step beside me as Joe followed behind.

The trio of us stood just to the right of the princesses as they turned around to address the assembled ponies.

Luna began with her remarks. “Not only is this flower a peculiar bloom, it has great healing properties. Prior to the announcement this week, We had cultivated many of these plants, coordinating across Equestria. They will all bloom tonight, and in the morning be harvested as the first wave of medicine dedicated now to the care of those wounded severely on the field. We hope to never have to use a drop, but they will stand ready. This is my first foray into bringing the knowledge of yesteryear into the healing practices of today.”

Celestia and Luna shared a smile as ponies clapped politely. Celestia stepped forward to speak. “We face uncertain times. The medicinal properties of our natural plants is just part of the magic of bringing some certainty into view. Even we who raise the sun and moon cannot predict the course ahead. Although we have taken many precautions and are dedicated only to protect the Northern Gryffon Kingdom’s citizens as the Nordanver army fights their own battles, it is undoubted that there will be suffering the likes of which only two of us have ever seen. Yet, Nordanver’s victory must be attained to bring peace and harmony to the gryffon kingdoms as well as to ensure the security of our own lands. We will seek to ensure that safety by preparing even the smallest, yet vital things.”

The flower began to glow brightly. All eyes turned to watch its petals open. The pale light it emitted was strangely comforting in the moonlight on the balcony. I would take all the comfort I could now, for it surely would not last.

Author's Note:

Btw, I’ve been tinkering with the first ten chapters, so check those out if that tickles your fancy!