• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,191 Views, 506 Comments

A Long Way to Fall - Cinders of War



Morning Blade recounts the story of Frigid Night to Twilight Sparkle. The story of how he became the man he was. The story of his fall.

  • ...
11
 506
 1,191

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39: Before Every Good Heist

Frigid Night sat at the back of the meeting room, a good space away from everyone else as Star Lance briefed them on their target objective. They had finally done it. The machine was in their grasps, and along with it, Mirror Match.

"We're going to have a few groups here," Star Lance continued, pointing at a top-view schematic of the power plant. "There's going to be one demolitions team, tasked with destroying the machine to prevent the Templars from finding someone who can use their artifact effectively. Then there will also be four other teams, tasked with distraction and the elimination of any Templars guarding it.

"Pierce Network will lead the demo team," Star Lance pointed to the brown-coated Assassin, his eyes glued to his phone as usual. "The team will consist of Sparkplug, Broadside, Smokestack and Fire Frenzy."

"Before every good heist comes planning." Pierce didn't look up from his phone. "I know, we are Assassins here. We work from the dark to serve the light. We don't do heists these days, we do assassinations. You know, when I was-"

"Right, that'll do, Pierce." Star Lance looked like he was about to slap a hand to his own forehead. "So, Pierce, you're leading. I'll repeat, Sparkplug, the brothers from the north and Frenzy, you're with Pierce."

Frenzy didn't look too pleased, but then again, he was good with fire. They needed him.

"Trueshot and Glimpse will take the south side. There's a good vantage point up on one of the buildings, which should give you a good view of the place from there."

"As you say, Star Lance." Trueshot spun his empty bottle in his palm before tossing it to his other hand.

Star Lance pointed to the north side of the plant. "Rose Petal and Spectral Rim. The north is all yours. Close in on the building, and eliminate any threats. Silent kills are advised."

"Silent kills? Easy!" Spectral clapped her hands together enthusiastically. "Got it covered, boss."

"High Noon, Wreckhouse, and Tangent, west side."

High Noon looked to them, both giving him a quick nod.

"Satin Breeze, Dewdrop. East side." Star Lance turned his head across the room. "Anymore questions?"

Frigid blinked a few times and replayed the briefing in his head a few more times. Star Lance hadn't given him a task. He raised his hand to ask. Star Lance looked and him and then to the Mentor. She stood off her chair and walked to the door.

"Frigid Night. A word please," she said before exiting the room.

Frigid got up and headed for the door as all eyes turned to him. Was the Mentor not going to let him go because of his recent actions? He hoped that wasn't the case as he joined her in the hallway. She stood just outside, both hands behind her back as she looked at him.

"Yes, Mentor?"

"Frigid, I would normally have sent you on the mission, no question, but..." Frigid knew what she was going to tell him. "You've allowed that girl to get the better of your emotions. Assassins shouldn't run on anger alone. Not like that."

"Yes, I'm sorry, Mentor..." Frigid replied. A part of him knew she was right, but the rest wanted him to say no because he had a job to do, and he wasn't going to rest until he saw justice delivered.

"Then I have one question for you, Frigid Night." The Mentor eyed him like she was staring into his heart. "Do you really wish to go on this mission?"

"Yes. Of course, Mentor!" Frigid quickly said without hesitation.

"Think it through. I don't know if you've really found out yourself."

Frigid wasn't sure what she meant, until his thoughts returned to Mirror Match again. About killing her. Is that what he really wanted? She had betrayed him that day and killed his former master.

Frigid touched the scars on his face. They reminded him what had to be done, whether he wanted to or not. "I want to go, Mentor. I have to do this. For Dust Fencer."

She continued to look at him before finally nodding. "Alright. You may go, Frigid Night. But remember, your choice could determine the outcome of everything."

"Yes, Mentor. I will make things right. I'll finish what I started."

Frigid returned to the room, following behind the Mentor. His resolve was steeled. He knew what had to be done. If he wanted the Assassins to emerge victorious, he would have to ensure the machine's destruction, and if she was truly there, the death of Mirror Match.



"And so it begins, huh?" Twilight Sparkle listened intently. From this moment, on, this is where things would actually start, for a lack of a better word, rolling.

"Yes, princess." Morning Blade nodded. "They finally found the Eye's location. Pierce always was good at what he did, even if he is a double crossing backstabbing traitor."

"I'll take your word for it, and Morning, please," Twilight chuckled. "I told you, you don't have to call me princess. Twilight will do."

"Right, sorry, um, Twilight." Morning sounded like she had to force that out. She had always been a stickler for rules and authority. It was a tough habit to break. "Shall we jump back into it?"

"Yes, please, go on. While I shouldn't necessarily sound excited, this anticipation's actually got my blood racing. I want to know just what happened here. You've told me so much leading to this point. I just need to know what happened."

"Kinda like a good book, huh, pr- um, Twilight?" Morning Blade smiled. If anything, she knew that she and the princess were both lovers of books, old or new, historical or action-packed. Both girls shared a short burst of laughter as they thought about it. "Then I shall not keep you waiting any longer. Come, let us enter the Assassin Brotherhood's turning point."

"The Eye..." Twilight Sparkle breathed. "I really wonder, you know? What this machine could've been capable of. "Sombra used it to force open the portal to Equestria. Normally the portal stays open when I use my journal, but wow. He found another way. Star Swirl's artifacts really are some potent things. And these Templars had found a way to harness the magic through the machine. Incredible."

"Hmm, incredible or not, these Templars couldn't be allowed to use it like you and I had talked about earlier." Morning Blade touched her eyepatch. "I don't know if things could've turned out better then, but I suppose from that point, everything looked like it was going to start going well. And then... Well... Mirror Match happened."

"Yeah, I figured." Twilight scribbled Mirror Match's name down in her notes and circled it. "Your world isn't supposed to have magic, but from what you've told me about her... I still find it hard to believe something like her exists in your world. It shouldn't be possible."

"Who knows, princess." Morning shrugged. "Truthfully, you probably know more about her than I do. All I know is that she was a traitor and she deserved to die. I'm glad she's been put into the ground. She caused too much pain for all of us."

Twilight nodded sadly.

Morning Blade shook the thoughts of Mirror out of her head. "Nevermind that witch. Come. On to the mission with the Eye..."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short chapter, y'all, but you know, more buildup before the action comes on in. I hope this little segment was able to keep your interest! Cheers!

PreviousChapters Next