• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,191 Views, 506 Comments

A Long Way to Fall - Cinders of War



Morning Blade recounts the story of Frigid Night to Twilight Sparkle. The story of how he became the man he was. The story of his fall.

  • ...
11
 506
 1,191

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 86: Responsibility

"Gee, Frigid really doesn't make it easy, huh?" Twilight Sparkle asked, watching as a little boy pointed at the ducks in the pond. "He really has such trust issues."

"Tell me about it. He wouldn't even teach me at first." Morning Blade rolled her eyes. "I had to learn how to play dirty in order to get some of my assassinations. I must say, it's not something I'm very proud of, but... you do what you need to do to survive, huh?"

"Well..." Twilight scratched her face, unsure of what to say.

"Okay, this isn't something I should try to justify." Morning decided to look at the clouds in the sky. The wind was strong today, blowing them along. "So yes, if Frigid had been trusting here, I'm sure he and Keila wouldn't have had so many problems. But like I've said before, we can only guess what might've happened. Anyway, so what I did next in Saddle Arabia..."



Morning Blade had returned to the training room back at the bureau, deciding to keep herself in shape during her stay here. Plus, it was nice to get out of her robes; the weather was just too hot here, and her room wasn’t air-conditioned.

She ran rounds around the room, keeping to her standard regime like when she was still in her school’s track team. Morning Blade still missed school; she had great friends, teachers, and principals. She wondered how Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna were doing as she increased her speed, completing her fifth round around the vast room.

Morning could feel the sweat begin to form around her skin as she finished her tenth round, slowly leveling out her pace as she continued on; her black top was already beginning to stick to her.

Since joining the Assassins, Morning Blade hadn’t gotten a chance to run as much as she wanted besides the usual running along rooftops. It had taken some getting used to, but Morning had eventually adapted to the parkour skills that the Assassins utilized. She had mainly learned them all from Frigid, but others like Dewdrop and Rose Petal had also given their contributions to her experience.

The Assassin apprentice thought about her master, wondering what he was doing out in the field right now. He had left earlier with the Saddle Arabian, Keila. The two of them didn’t seem to get along well, but then again, Frigid didn’t look like he got along with anyone, though it was mainly his fault. Still, she admired him. He was a tough, persistent Assassin.

Having taken interest in history class, Morning had gone around asking about her teacher, learning everything she could about him to get to know him better. The white haired girl had recorded it all in a small notebook, but wished she hadn’t. Frigid Night had gone through tough times, changing him into the man he was now. Morning didn’t want to have to ever go through everything he did; she doubted anyone would want his pain. She felt sorry for the Assassin, but Frigid rarely accepted help or even friendship from anyone.

High Noon had told her he was basically Frigid’s only friend; the other Assassins had lost their trust in Frigid after a few dealings with a Templar, Mirror Match.

Morning snatched up her bottle of water and took a long drink. Mirror Match seemed to be at the heart of a lot of issues, now that she thought of it. Nearly every Assassin at the Trottingham bureau was convinced that the so called Witch of Manehattan was a monster of some kind. Trueshot had even gone so far as to say she cavorted with vampires.

Morning noticed someone by the door and looked up. It was one of the Saddle Arabian Assassins, and if she recalled, his name was Sting Wing or something. He had on a grey hoodie and brown combat pants.

“Hey,” he smiled as he leaned against the door frame. “Morning Blade, right? That’s some training you’re doing. Building up your endurance? The sands here can be a real challenge if you’re not used to it.”

Morning put down her water bottle and saluted. “That’s right, sir. Never know where I might have to go next.”

“Sir?” He wore an amused face. “Oh, you don’t need to be so stiff. We’re all Assassins after all. The only ones we really show respect to are the Mentors. You can relax. We’re all the same here.” He cracked his fingers before walking over.

“Oh.” Morning loosened up just a little. “But Frigid Night, my superior, says that I should always do exactly what he tells me to, just like in school, and that’s how Assassin training is. I want to be as good as I can be.”

“Really?” Sting Wing crossed his arms. “Well, maybe that’s how you Assassins work, but here in Saddle Arabia, even a novice is allowed to disobey an Assassin-ranked Assassin; even someone skilled in this work could miss out a few details sometimes. It’s up to everyone to do what is right. And that’s not always to listen to your superiors.”

Morning Blade pondered this for a moment.

“I think I like your way better,” she decided. “But I don’t know if Frigid will be up for it.”

“Well, no one likes being told that they’re wrong, but sometimes, it’s necessary for the safety of everyone else.”

“Hmm,” Morning mumbled. “I guess I’ll see how it turns out. He’s yet to teach me how to fight properly anyway. Every time I ask him to spar, he makes up some excuse not to.”

“Well, maybe I can help you out. Would you like to go a few rounds? I can show you what I know.”

“You would? Thanks so much, sir- I mean, Sting Wing,” Morning corrected herself.

“Alright! Sounds fun.” Sting pulled his hoodie and gloves off and left it by the side. “I might need to switch my blades out. Both of these are poison blades. You wouldn’t want them piercing you.” He unsheathed them to show the apprentice the spiked tips. “One poke from these and even the biggest guy will go down in seconds.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Morning nodded and watched the blades return to their sheaths.

The Saddle Arabian Assassin unstrapped the blades and swapped in a single standard hidden blade, attaching it to his left arm.

“I’m sure you’ve learned the basics?” After receiving a nod from Morning, he brandished the hidden blade and gave it a few swings. “How about our Saddle Arabian technique?”

Sting Wing performed light, but fast strikes, stabbing forward with his blade like a lunging cobra. Morning Blade watched and noted how each strike seemed to flow into the other, connecting really well and allowing the next one’s speed to maintain itself.

“The idea,” Sting Wing explained as he watched Morning try to imitate him. “Is to strike first and not give your opponent time to hit back.”

A smile spread on Morning Blade’s face as the other Assassin went on to describe more complex moves.

“You know, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all.”


Frigid Night had arrived back at the bureau close to sun down, finally seeing the hideout from the top of a tall office building.

He didn’t know what kind of damage Keila had already done to his reputation, but it didn’t matter anyway. What matters is that they find a way to effectively combat the new Templar weapons.

He walked past the Assassins on guard without a word and headed for the Mentor’s office. He sort of remembered where it was but it’s exact location was a little foggy to him. He passed High Noon and the Assassin called Ikram on the way up. The Saddle Arabian Assassin gave him a weary look as he passed. Seeing as Ikram was Keila’s actual partner, the black haired woman had probably told her partner all about Frigid. High Noon only shrugged and gave him a feeble wave.

Frigid figured he was going to be in for another long lecture about his actions.

He arrived outside the Saddle Arabian Mentor’s office, knocking on the door.

“Come in,” he heard Mentor Shamal speak.

“Mentors,” Frigid greeted as he opened the door, closing it after entering.

“Ah, Frigid Night,” the Saddle Arabian Mentor said as he dropped the pencil he was holding. “Please, have a seat.” He motioned to a chair across his desk.

Mentor Steel Shine stood behind him, reading through a book which looked as old as Red Card did, glancing up at Frigid before resuming her perusal of the tome.

“Frigid Night,” Shamal continued, putting his hands together atop his desk. “Now, I know it’s not my business to question you on your past, but your attitude and actions towards my Assassins requires me to do so. Your actions may very well cause the death of one of us someday, and I would like to avoid that.”

“What did Keila say this time?” Frigid muttered grumpily.

Steel Shine walked over from her post and put the book down before looking into the white coated Assassin’s eyes.

“She only gave us the report of today’s mission. How you refused to cooperate with her, which almost resulted in you getting yourself and the civilians getting hurt.”

Frigid rubbed his eyes. “Mentor, with all due respect, it could have been a lot worse. The Templars have a new weapon-”

“We have heard, Frigid Night,” she continued. “And we have Assassins assessing the situation. Right now, all I want to talk about is your methods.”

“Keila said you refused to listen to her suggestions,” Shamal started, a hand instinctively scratched at his beard. “And because you failed to work together, you were almost killed by the Templars’ new weapon. In our line of work, Frigid Night, we don’t actively refuse help. You left Keila back there while you tried to take the Templars down by yourself.”

“A dangerous and rash action,” Mentor Steel Shine added. “I know you don’t have the best track record with partners, but you have to move past it, Frigid. Otherwise I’ll have to put you in a job that’s off field.”

“Mentor, I-” Frigid paused. He had to say something to stay in the field, but… He realized he had nothing to refute them with. “I’m sorry, Mentors. I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do with partners. Perhaps if you could just send me out on my own, like how I used to do it. I could get much more work done that way, and I won’t jeopardize anyone else’s life.”

Neither of the Mentors were the least bit moved.

“You always had someone with you before, unless you’re talking about your vendetta with Mirror Match, which I didn’t sanction anyway. Nothing doing, Frigid.” Mentor Steel Shine put a hand on the pommel of her sword and frowned. “This city is too important to risk playing toward your ego.”

“I realize that, Mentors. I do. That’s why I was asking, let me go out there on my own. I’ll take down as many Templars as you want me to, even if it means dying myself. I’ll help you retake the city.”

Mentor Shamal let out a bark of laughter.

“Retake the city? On your own? Don’t make me laugh, boy. Everyone knows that Assassins work better in groups than just one. If you think for once second we’d allow you to go out solo, you must be suffering from heat stroke.”

Frigid wanted to say something, but Steel Shine beat him to it.

“No matter. Frigid Night. Tomorrow, you’ll be following me back to Trottingham. Once we’re back, you’ll focus on training your apprentice.”

“This one has an apprentice?” Shamal sounded honestly shocked. “Are you sure that’s wise, Steel Shine?”

“It’s to help him remember his responsibility,” the Assassin Mentor nodded. “I’m afraid he might’ve spent too much time apart from her since our visit here. I’ll work on correcting that starting tomorrow.”

Both Mentors looked up suddenly, as if they’d each come to the same conclusion at once. Shamal tilted his head to look at Frigid.

“Oh. You’re still here? You’re dismissed, Frigid Night. Get some rest, because right now I really pity your apprentice if this is how you go about things.”

“Yes, Mentors. Good night.”

Frigid headed out and began the walk back to his room. At least the Mentor didn’t put him on house arrest. Those were a few months Frigid would never want to play out again. The only thing he sort of enjoyed was the workouts in the dojo, but otherwise, it was dreadful.

A quick burst of eagle sense showed Frigid that Morning Blade was already fast asleep in their shared room. Tiptoeing in, Frigid quickly changed and dropped to the ground beside the bed, this time, making sure to keep his coat close by in case it got cold.

“One sheep, two sheep, three sheep…”

PreviousChapters Next