• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,188 Views, 506 Comments

A Long Way to Fall - Cinders of War



Morning Blade recounts the story of Frigid Night to Twilight Sparkle. The story of how he became the man he was. The story of his fall.

  • ...
11
 506
 1,188

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 102: The Push

Frigid Night couldn’t remember the last time he had been in an airport. The group of Assassins stood in a queue, carrying their boxes and bags of supplies as they waited to get to the counter to check in their baggage. He had doubts about all this working out, seeing as they had weapons packed into them.

The grey haired Assassin himself had stowed his body armor and knife slings, keeping them in a small bag slung over his shoulders, but kept his hidden blades and shoe blades on, hidden under his sleeves and boot soles. He didn’t want to get arrested by the authorities before they even left for Saddle Arabia. Morning Blade’s weapons were very well concealed, meaning she didn’t need to do anything about hiding them. She stood beside her teacher, a book in her hands.

High Noon and Dewdrop stood behind Frigid, bickering about her clothes. The two Assassins had also stowed their weapons under orders from the Mentor, though Dewdrop had insisted on wearing her Assassin branded shirt.

“You should take it off, Dew,” the cowboy told his blue haired friend. “What if there are Templars here? We don’t want to attract attention in a public place.”

“I’d say something about you wanting me with my shirt off, but that’s just too easy,” Dewdrop muttered, but slung her jacket back on to cover the insignia. This time, she didn’t bother to bring along her blue coat; she probably wouldn’t be wearing it anyway.

Frigid was surprised for a moment. He never imagined that Dewdrop would actually listen to Noon. He was impressed, but it didn’t stop the cowboy’s face from turning red.

Same old High Noon.

“When we reach the counter,” the Mentor instructed, still facing the front while she spoke. “Leave the talking to me.”

Mentor Steel Shine had donned a long grey trench coat, covering her body from neck to ankle, though she still had to remove her gauntlets. She kept her sword under her coat, just in case she had to draw it.

When it came time for the Assassins to check their things in, Mentor Steel Shine had simply placed a hand on her sword and Frigid couldn’t believe it, but the attendants didn’t even bother whether their bags and crates had weapons in them. They simply did what they had to do with every other luggage and sent them on their way down the conveyor belt.

“Woah,” Morning Blade whispered as she watched it all above her book. “She can do that? I mean, mess with people’s minds?”

“That sword does a lot,” Frigid shrugged. “Probably allows her to do that too, I’m betting.”

“That’s neat,” Frigid’s apprentice admitted.

Soon, all of them had been packed into a first class flight toward Maredina, a city a couple of kilometers from Masyaf.

“Why did it have to be planes?” Frigid complained quietly next to his apprentice. They had been seated in pairs, with Morning next to him, High Noon and Dewdrop behind him, and Mentor Steel Shine across the aisle, seated next to a bigger sized man. The Mentor figured it was safer if she was the one sitting with civilians.

“It’s going to be fine, sir,” Morning patted his arm. “And this is first class! I’ve never been in first class, Frigid. It’s nice…”

Frigid’s apprentice leaned back and closed her eyes with a content sigh. Frigid let it be and looked to the slim black screen in front of his face. He hadn’t known planes had televisions in them now. It was pretty innovative to do so.

He picked out one of the magazines and flipped through the pages, looking for something interesting to watch. Perhaps he could take his mind off the flight if he had something to do.

“Let’s see…” Frigid flicked through the lineup of movies before finally settling on a Daring Do flick. According to the description, this film was a reboot of the series, starring that actress from a while back, Ebony Wings, alongside a new actress for Daring, a girl called Sunflower. Judging from her appearance, the girl was still schooling, just a little younger than Morning Blade.

Frigid started up the movie and slipped a little headset on as forty seconds of logos began.

The rest of the flight was spent watching Daring Do and her arch nemesis, the nefarious Ahuizotl, race through dangerous dungeons and forgotten ruins, occasionally running into a rival treasure hunter, Cat Scratch (played by Ebony Wings). Frigid rather liked how Cat Scratch and Daring Do were rivals, yet also managed to get along behind Ahuizotl’s back. She reminded Frigid a little of Mirror, actually. It made him think of her, wishing how things could change.

“Frigid.” It was his apprentice. “Are you alright? Is something the matter?”

He blinked a few times and shook his head. “No, no. It’s fine. A character in this movie reminded me a bit about Mirror Match is all...”

“You watch Daring Do, sir?” Morning smiled after bending over to see what he was watching.

“From time to time,” he admitted. “Can’t ignore a good movie.”

“You miss her, Frigid?” Morning Blade asked him.

“Miss who?”

“Mirror Match.”

Apparently it was that obvious. Frigid didn’t hide it any longer and nodded. “Yeah. I do.”

“It’s okay to miss someone,” his apprentice continued, closing her book for the moment. “Even if they’re on the other side of things.”

“Really? I mean, she’s done some very bad things, yet, I still find myself drawn back to her every time.”

“Well, besides the bad, there must have been plenty of good things she’s done for you as well. Right?”

Frigid thought back to his past again. When he had first trained Mirror, she had done everything with him, taking down Templar after Templar, doing what was best for the world. She had laughed, smiled, and spent every moment of her days with him, even before they had gotten together. Those were the years Frigid found himself thinking back to.

He couldn’t help but slightly tear up at the thought.

“Sir,” Morning placed a hand over his comfortingly. “It’s okay. I’m here if you need someone to talk to.”

He nodded and for once, gave her a real smile. “Thank you, Morning. I’m… glad I can count on you.”

“Awww…” he heard Dewdrop’s voice behind him as she leaned close to the hole between the chairs to look at him. “Someone’s opening up at last.”

“Don’t bother him, Dew,” High Noon pulled her back. “It’s been a rough couple of years.”

“Why?” she batted her eyelashes at the cowboy. “Jealous? If you’d like, I can give you all my attention instead…”

“Uh, that’s not wh-what I meant.”

“But it’s what you thought, isn’t it?” she giggled and gave him a friendly punch on the arm. “Come on, Noon. I know you still have a crush on me.”

“I… I…” High Noon opened and closed his mouth a few times like a fish before grabbing for his hat. He stuffed it on his head and pulled it low over his eyes.

“I thought so, Noon.” Dewdrop suddenly unbuckled her seatbelt and hopped over onto High Noon, sitting in his lap. She ignored the stares of some other passengers and wrapped her arms around his neck after tossing his hat on her seat. She closed the distance between their faces, stopping only an inch apart. “Come on, Noon. Just say it. I already know you do. I just want to hear it from your mouth.”

Noon pinched at his coat as he gave Dewdrop an incredibly awkward smile.

Morning Blade chuckled before turning back to the front. “You have some good friends, Frigid. Don’t forget that.”

Frigid nodded and returned to his movie. He did have some good friends, but how long would they last?


“Time’s up,” Star Lance stowed his phone and looked up to the crowd of Assassins gathered by the base of the bureau. The morning was already heating up as the sun began to cross the sky. “Mentor Steel Shine’s orders. We attack now. We will push to the palace, we will get the artifacts, and we will win this war!”

“We’re with you, Star Lance!” the Seaddle Mentor yelled and led the first wave on.

“C’mon, Keila,” Ikram pulled at her hand. “We should be there. This is our home.”

“Right,” she agreed as both Saddle Arabian Assassins proceeded with the Seaddle Assassins from the rooftops.

The Templars had deployed a barricade up ahead, using concrete slabs and barbed wire. At least a dozen soldiers stood behind them, rifles already pointed ahead, ready to fire on command. The first row of Assassins fired upon them, immediately taking down a few soldiers before they could retaliate.

“Take them down!” the Templar in charge yelled and pulled out a grenade launcher.

“Wow, these Templars sure are bringing a lot of firepower,” Ikram smiled as they cleared another jump. “How about we give them a little surprise from behind?”

“Oh, how I’ve missed being your partner, Ikram.”

Keila was glad she didn’t have to put up with Frigid Night. Part of her was relieved to hear that Mentor Steel Shine was behind time because of that Assassin, but she knew they needed the Mentor if they were going to do this. She was probably the only Assassin who knew how to wield an artifact.

The two of them arrived behind enemy lines as the first explosions went off, scattering the Assassins down below. The Templars definitely had the upper hand in weaponry, but at least the Assassins had their skills.

Keila was the first to act, kicking off the edge of the building, sailing in the air for a few seconds. The wind was breezy today, blowing about the hot desert air, but Keila found it enjoyable. It was still wind after all. Unsheathing her daggers, she drove them straight through the back of the lead Templar, his grenade launcher cluttering to the ground away from him.

The other Templars turned to her, but she was fast, first attacking their legs to cripple them as she dove from soldier to soldier, using their bodies to avoid more gunfire. Ikram landed beside her, spinning in an arc, severing a few heads from their bodies with his scimitars. Their little attack had turned the Templars’ attention to them, giving the other Assassins time to press their advance.

Things were looking good until a squad of Dragon Unit soldiers appeared, each man holding a black crystal blade.

“Black blades, ahead!” Ikram warned as they finished off the last of the gunmen. “Stay alert!”

One Assassin with blonde hair sprinted for them, swinging her broadsword to her shoulders. One of the soldiers stepped forward and swung his sideways, releasing an arc of dark energy. The Assassin didn’t move out of the way in time, but instead of getting tossed away by the energy, her top half was severed from her bottom as she dropped lifelessly to the ground.

Keila was stunned for a moment. Those weapons never did that. Something had changed.

“Down!” Ikram tackled her as more waves of dark energy pulsed past them, searing the corner of her coat.

Assassins behind them fell one by one as the small squad of Templar soldiers began pushing forward. The upgrade had given the Templars a deadly weapon. Far deadlier than the Assassins had anticipated.

Keila lay with Ikram in a small alcove next to a building, currently out of sight from the soldiers.

“K-Keila, you alright…?” Ikram said weakly.

Keila widened her eyes. Had something happened to him? She looked down and uttered a small gasp. Just under his arm, a portion of his blue coat was gone, his ribs stained with his dark red blood.

“Ikram!” she sat up and held him. “I’m going to get you help!”

“I’ll manage, Keila…” he reassured and grabbed for her hand. “I can tend to myself, easy. Go and join the others… Win this.”

Keila shook her head and held his hand firmly. “I’m not leaving your side until you’re good to go.” She activated her radio. “Star Lance? This is Keila. Ikram’s been wounded. I’ll stay with him until he’s patched up.”

Roger, Keila,” the lieutenant’s voice crackled almost instantly. “We’ll proceed on. Stay safe.

“Thanks, Star Lance,” she nodded her thanks and hauled Ikram so that his back was against the wall. “Let’s see what we can do for you, partner.”

PreviousChapters Next