• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,191 Views, 506 Comments

A Long Way to Fall - Cinders of War



Morning Blade recounts the story of Frigid Night to Twilight Sparkle. The story of how he became the man he was. The story of his fall.

  • ...
11
 506
 1,191

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 95: Is it... Helicopter?

Frigid Night vaulted over a dumpster and flung himself through a window as the machine gun started up again, shredding the curtains close to his head. He flipped himself back, running through a living room as he jumped out through the next window, shattering glass as he made off in a sprint.

Why me? Of all the Assassins, it has to come after me…

The white coated Assassin continued down another alley, losing the helicopter for the moment as he looked for a place to hide. Mentor Steel Shine could probably deal with it, but she only had so much energy to use up it seemed, and her last attack had left her drained, though not as much as the last time Frigid had seen her.

He figured his best chance of survival would be to find his Mentor, so he began heading backwards along the buildings. If she was still as weak as when he saw her, she couldn’t have gotten too far. He flung himself over a short wall, only to drop into a group of black coated men, all of them holding rifles.

Frigid immediately spun a leg out, catching the first two off guard, knocking them down. He used the distraction to stab another before sprinting off, not wanting to trap himself in the small space with so many guns.

“We found one!” he heard one of them speak into a walkie-talkie. “Turn the chopper around!”

Good work, Frigid. Now the helicopter’s coming back…

He would’ve slapped himself in the face if he wasn’t running for his life.

Frigid rounded the next few corners, not stopping for anything, even after almost slipping on a puddle of water, or at least he thought it was water. She had to be around here somewhere.

Then by luck or excellent tracking skill, Frigid caught sight of a brown coat flapping behind a wall. He hadn’t seen any civilians around yet, so he guessed it must’ve been one of the Assassins. He grabbed on to the ledge and hauled himself over, dropping down between Mentor Shamal and Mentor Steel Shine.

“Frigid Night, good. You’re safe,” Steel Shine flashed him a smile. “Where are the others?”

“Not sure, but Mentor, can’t you just blow that helicopter up? It’s been following me since it showed up. I can’t get rid of it with the weapons I have.”

“I can,” his Mentor unsheathed her blade. “But it’ll take all my energy to take it down.”

“I could use it for you, Mentor,” Frigid suggested. “I mean, if you allow me to.”

Frigid reached out a hand, but the Mentor shook her hand and held firmly on to her sword. “You won’t do, Frigid Night. The sword will burn you out, quite literally. You’re not made to wield it.”

“She’s right,” Shamal nodded. “I don’t know if you will understand it all, but now’s not the time. Just do as she tells you.”

“It’ll take me a short while to gather enough energy, so if you could distract it long enough for me to acquire it all, that’ll be very helpful.”

“Right,” Frigid unsheathed both blades and ran out into the open, next to a shop selling carrots.

The group of Templars that were following him showed up, one of them pointing to him before all of them raised their guns. Frigid tossed two throwing knives at them, taking another man down before he got behind a statue of a goat. The bullets showered debris over the Assassin, but otherwise, he was untouched.

Then Frigid caught sight of Mentor Shamal in the other alley, with his Mentor standing behind him. Golden energy was building around her as she held the sword in both hands, her eyes closed and concentrating.

The Saddle Arabian Mentor scaled up to the top of the building before hastily rushing over to a spot above the armed Templar group. Frigid watched as he jumped, falling straight on top a Templar, gutting him in the neck before proceeding to attack the rest.

The Trottingham Assassin took his chance and joined the fight, rushing in and stabbing two soldiers in the back before pulling them down to the ground, smashing their faces into the hard concrete. He flipped a kick up, disarming another while Mentor Shamal grabbed ahold of the rifle, taking down three more Templars with the gunfire.

Frigid dug his trident blade into the back of another soldier’s neck and tossed him into the remaining men, which Mentor Shamal finished off with the last of the bullets in the gun.

“That ought to attract the helicopter’s attention,” he said as he tossed the black rifle to the ground. “Let’s head back to your Mentor’s position. When that chopper shows up, we’ll be ready.”

“We don’t have to wait,” Frigid pointed as a black shape moved in against the sunlight.

“Mentor Steel Shine, are you ready?” the Saddle Arabian called out as the two men stood in the streets. “Now would be a good time.”

“Not yet!” she called from her corner. “I still need more time!”

“Great.” Shamal sighed. “Kid, looks like we’ll have to play a little game of dodging the bullets.”

Frigid groaned and moved to the side as machine gun fire stabbed into the ground close to his feet. Mentor Shamal dashed to another wall, but both Assassins had to hop out of the way as a rocket flew in, setting fire to a portion of Frigid’s coat.

He gritted his teeth and quickly patted it out before another rocket shot out, blowing him off his feet and through a store window. He flipped himself backwards and got back up on his feet, swatting out another patch of fire at the bottom of his coat.

He could’ve just stayed in the shop until the Mentor had finished off the chopper, but he had to make sure it wasn’t targeting her while she was done channeling the sword’s power.

Frigid climbed back out the window and ducked behind a wall as more bullets struck the spot he was just standing in.

“Too close…” he breathed, pressing himself against the dusty bricks. “You’d think the police would be here after hearing all this?”

The helicopter continued to strafe around ahead, not giving Frigid or Mentor Shamal the chance to get to a better location.

“Where’d they even get an attack helicopter? I mean, I knew the Templars were well-connected, but this is something else.”

“Not important now,” Shamal replied. “We just need to distract it a while longer, and game over. We win.”

As if on cue, Mentor Steel Shine stepped out from her way, holding the sword in front of her, which was now casting a golden glow, making it look bigger than it was. The helicopter fired a missile at her, but in a display of superhuman agility, Steel Shine leapt up and jumped off the missile, using her momentum to fly straight at the chopper before hilting the sword into the canopy. Golden light erupted from the cockpit, boiling away at the pilot and frying the vehicle’s electronics before burning a hole right through the hull.

The chopper spiralled out of control, leaving swirls of smoke across the sky before smashing into the street in a wrecked fireball.

Mentor Steel Shine landed on her feet just in front of the chopper’s remains, the golden aura around her slowly fading until she was on her knees, chest heaving with the exertion.

“Mentor Steel Shine!” Shamal was by her side, helping her up. “That was amazing! I’ve heard the stories, but to see it first hand…”

“It… It’s nothing…” she panted. “We… We better get back… to the bureau. Before they send… more Templars.”

“Right. Frigid Night. Contact the others. Let them know to regroup back at the bureau. We’ll have to make our way there separately.”

“Are you sure you can move, Mentor? You don’t seem-”

“I’m fine, Frigid. Now find the others.” Steel Shine took a deep breath and drew her sword again. “I’ve still got enough strength to get us back.”

Shamal took hold of Steel Shine’s arm, and they both winked out of sight, leaving Frigid with the wreckage and a bunch of scattered Assassins to find.



"So this thing, this helicopter? It's a vehicle, yes?" Twilight Sparkle mimicked the spinning rotor with a finger. "That flies?"

"That's right. You've never seen one?" That made Morning wonder whether they even had vehicles back in Equestria.

"I've read books on your world, but I've read mostly about those airplanes you have," Twilight chuckled. "Not much on these helicopters. Such weird words."

"Mhm, but such power your artifacts have if Mentor Steel Shine could have simply laid waste to a helicopter like that. Truly amazing." Morning zipped her coat further up as a particularly cold breeze wafted by.

"Yes they were. I wish I would have been able to study them, but then again, there's a reason they were put in your world."

"That they were, princess. Even here, they can do things that we humans marvel at. I do not wish to see such power again..."

PreviousChapters Next