• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,189 Views, 506 Comments

A Long Way to Fall - Cinders of War



Morning Blade recounts the story of Frigid Night to Twilight Sparkle. The story of how he became the man he was. The story of his fall.

  • ...
11
 506
 1,189

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 82: Trying Friendship

Frigid Night stood with Keila in Mentor Shamal’s office, waiting for the Saddle Arabian woman to explain the details to both Mentors. Trueshot and Feather Duster seemed to have made a fast friendship. Both snipers had headed to the armory to compare their guns, no doubt.

Frigid looked around the cement office, surveying pictures on the walls of different Assassins and mounted weapons, which were mostly curved swords or knives. This was also the first time Frigid didn’t see Star Lance with the Mentor. Back at the bureau, they were never apart. The Assassin figured the lieutenant must be out there doing fieldwork.

“And that was what happened, Mentors,” Keila finished, with a quick glance at Frigid. “That’s why I think he needs to learn some team skills.”

“Mentor, I disagree,” Frigid added after Keila was done. “I did my job. The target is dead. The mission was a success.”

Keila pouted and crossed her arms. “Yes, but as I have told you, Frigid, he could’ve told us more. And besides, you didn’t explain your plan to us from the start. I had no idea what you were up to.”

“I knew what was going to happen,” Frigid countered. “Plans are never fully used anyway. It’s better to just have the rough idea and finish it.”

“That’s… so ridiculous!” Keila raised her volume a little, though she was still controlling herself. She turned to the Mentors and pointed at Frigid with a hand. “Mentor Steel Shine, do you agree with him? His logic is flawed! I’m sorry, Mentor. I’ve tried to be nice to him. I really have, but he just doesn’t want to accept my friendship or my suggestions.”

“Frigid Night,” Steel Shine said calmly. “Please come with me.” The spectral haired woman stood up and beckoned for him to the door.

Frigid sighed and turned to follow, ignoring the stare Keila was giving him.

Now what…

“Frigid Night,” his Mentor said as soon as he closed the door behind him. “As an Assassin, you know working alone is dangerous. That is why we assign you in pairs unless otherwise stated. Communicating with your partner is highly recommended out in the field. Hasn’t having a new apprentice taught you that?”

“Yes, Mentor…” Frigid bowed his head. “I know. I just… I don’t trust them. What if they stab me in the back? Like Mirror Match did.”

“What if I stab you in the back?” The Mentor arched an eyebrow at Frigid. “These Assassins are not the usual Assassins you deal with, Frigid Night. They didn’t join up like you or High Noon. They grew up in the Brotherhood. Being an Assassin isn’t a job to them; it’s a way of life. Refusing to cooperate with them is somewhat of a faux pas with them. So perhaps you could acknowledge their cultural difference and do as they say?”

“Okay, okay. I’ll give it a try, Mentor.”

Frigid leaned back against the wall and nodded as he thought about it. Frigid didn’t want to be culturally insensitive to these Saddle Arabians, but did he dare place his life in their hands? The one woman, Keila, was being awfully nice to him; it was something Frigid hadn’t received from anyone in a long time, even from High Noon. Frigid decided maybe he should at least try to be nicer. All he had to do was complete his missions here, then he was back home in Trottingham to teach Morning Blade.

Morning Blade. Frigid wondered what his apprentice was doing now. What the Saddle Arabians have tasked an apprentice, Frigid had no idea. Maybe sharpening some weapons or surveillance duty.

“I’ll be heading back to Trottingham in three days time, Frigid,” Steel Shine continued. “If you want to come back with me, you can. Otherwise I’ll have you stay here and assist with keeping Sombra away from his goal.”

Frigid smiled and nodded again. “Yes, I would like that, Mentor. I never thought I’d miss home so much. I can’t wait to get back to training.” Though it was mostly a lie, Frigid did want to get out of the hot and sandy place. The sand just got everywhere. He had even found sand in his hidden blade mechanisms, which probably explains why the Saddle Arabians use their knives more; it was less maintenance that way.

“Very well,” the Mentor made a move towards the office door. “But while you’re still here, I expect you to be on your best behavior. We can’t afford to fight among ourselves when, for the first time in history, the Templars are united under someone who can use their artifact. Stay on your guard, Assassin.”

“Will do, Mentor,” Frigid said as he turned away from his superior. “Thanks, Mentor.”

The Assassin headed down the open corridors as the Mentor returned to the office. They were most likely going to be talking about him; he hoped they didn’t have too many problems to talk about. Frigid decided to look for Morning Blade. He might as well see what his apprentice was up to while he waited for another mission.

Frigid wandered around the Saddle Arabian bureau, taking in the architecture while he searched. Most of the bureau was open-aired, with few rooms being air-conditioned, allowing the hot wind to blow around inside, irritating Frigid. The grey haired Assassin had no idea how the Saddle Arabians could deal with such weather. Then again, they did dress with less layers and they did grow up here, learning to live in the heat from young.

He eventually found Morning Blade by one of the training halls, dressed in a black tank top and pink shorts, giving a punching bag a volley of swift punches. From the sight of her sweaty form, Frigid figured his apprentice has been at this at least an hour.

“Hey, Frigid,” the white haired girl greeted as he stopped beside her. “How’s life beyond the walls?”

“Truthfully? Not where I want to be. I’d rather be back in Trottingham or somewhere without sand. I’m never going to a beach for holidays ever again.”

“Oh.” Morning gave the bag three more punches before taking a step back and pushing sticky locks of hair out of her face. She pulled her braid forward and began smoothing it out. Frigid noticed how the damp clothes clung to her body, bringing out its attraction, but she was still only a young girl, so he averted his eyes and tried to think about other things. “How about some sparring?” she suggested. “Perhaps you could teach me some new tricks?”

New tricks. In reality, Frigid Night had held back teaching Morning Blade everything he knew. That was what had happened with Mirror Match. He had taught her all kinds of skills and tricks, giving her everything she needed to survive. What did she do with all of it? She stabbed him in the back and threw him down a pit, which resulted in the death of his old teacher, Dust Fencer.

Frigid was afraid. He was afraid his new apprentice was going to turn his life upside down so he only taught her the essentials. All the specialized and self-learned skills, he kept to himself.

“Uh, if it’s okay with you, Morning, I’d rather not. Not right now.”

“Oh,” Morning said rather disappointedly. “Really? I mean, we’re going to be here a while after all…”

“Sorry, Morning,” Frigid shrugged. “I’ve got a lot on my mind, and I don’t think I’ll be able to help you out much right now. Maybe I can go get one of the Saddle Arabians to spar with you. Their fighting style is a lot different from any I’ve seen since my early days.”

“If you insist…” Morning threw her braid over her back and continued punching the bag.

“That’s the spirit,” Frigid tried to say with enthusiasm, but it came out more flat than he had hoped. He had to think of something better to say. “If anything, Morning, you have a good fighting spirit. That’s something a lot of the Assassins lack. Something I lack sometimes...” Frigid sighed and shook his head. “Alright, enough said. You can go back to training. I’ll see you later.”

“Bye, Frigid.” Morning Blade looked down at her hands as her mentor left. “Lacking sometimes, huh?”

PreviousChapters Next