• Published 6th Jan 2017
  • 1,190 Views, 506 Comments

A Long Way to Fall - Cinders of War



Morning Blade recounts the story of Frigid Night to Twilight Sparkle. The story of how he became the man he was. The story of his fall.

  • ...
11
 506
 1,190

PreviousChapters
Epilogue: A Story Told

Twilight Sparkle had reached the end of the journal and shut it on its back, her mind working as she tried to deal with all she had learnt. Even from the words alone, she could feel the pain and sorrow of what the Assassins had to go through. Of what Morning Blade had to go through. Of what Velvet Breeze had to go through.

Velvet was still rehabilitating back in Equestria and she was doing very well, but all this had happened to her at such a young age. To have lost almost everyone she knew and cared about. It must've hurt badly. Twilight couldn't imagine losing any of her friends like that. Reading all this made her all the more determined to make sure they protected Equestria with their lives.

Pulling her notebook back out, Twilight began to scribble down on it as she marked down important moments of Frigid Night's story. That was another thing she had to do. The thing she had come to do. To memorialize his story and his friends' stories. To have them remembered, even in Equestria, for what they had done.

Even if they hadn't fought to protect Equestria, they had indirectly given their lives for Equestria. These were stories for even the ponies back home to know.

Morning Blade eventually looked back up, her one eye red and dripping with tears. She sniffed and wiped at her nose, her teeth slightly chattering from the cold.

"Are you feeling better, Morning?" Twilight shifted the journal back to her. "I finished your book. I must say, it's awful, what happened. But... I'm glad, you know? You Assassins and Sunset stopped Sombra. You stopped him from returning with powers beyond our control. You all have our deepest gratitude... You know?"

"Gratitude or no..." Morning sniffed again. "I'm glad someone else knows their stories now... Frigid especially. He isn't the cold-hearted man everyone thought he was. I had known... He still had good in him. I had still believed in him. He had a hard life, Twilight. Such a hard one... I don't doubt I would've done any better if I were put in his position. At least... at least now he has rest. That's... comforting to know, at least..."

"He definitely does. And he still has people and ponies here that will know about him. He still has someone that cares about him. You're a good friend to him, Morning Blade. Thank you, for telling his story." Twilight gave the ex-Assassin a pat on the hand.

Wiping her eye again, Morning Blade managed a smile and picked up her journal, stuffing it back in her backpack. She had done it. Frigid's and the others' stories have been told. They would be remembered for what they had fought for. That was all that had mattered to her. And now... Now she could move on. She could live on for all of them.

Wherever they were now, all her friends, she was sure they would be watching out for her.

"Thank you for the coffee, Morning." Twilight rubbed her hands together and looked outside at the darkening sky. "But I think I should be getting back. I'm also rather excited to share the news with the others."

"Yeah, I should be getting home too. Thank you, princess. For the last few days. It really has meant a lot to me. I haven't really talked to anyone about any of this since Sombra was defeated. It's nice. To have... friends."

"So true, Morning Blade. Remember, if you ever need a friend, you can always find Sunset and the others and if you need me around, I'm sure she can send a message over to me. I'm just a page away."

"I will keep that in mind, princess. Thank you."

Seeing the pony princess off towards Canterlot High, Morning Blade eventually began her trek home. She'd had a long run with the Assassins and her friends had been with the Brotherhood even longer. They had really sacrificed so much to keep the world as it was and safe from the Templars.

Frigid Night may have fallen a long way, but in the end, as long as there was the will to get back up, things could still change for the better. Morning knew it was her turn to return up again. The fall was long over.

Author's Note:

Alright! Game's over! Thank you everyone for reading all the way here! We hope you enjoyed the whole long ride. It's really been a long time.

Expect more in the future, everyone!

Cheers!

Achievement Unlocked: Way to Fall
You completed Act 5!

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 15 )

Excellent story. 10/10, overall.

It still says incomeplete. Why?
Edit:Ignore this comment.

Ah, it's over at last. Good show, good show. What's next?

P.S. I still don't feel that much for Frigid Night. His screw ups far outweighed his few good points, though I guess it's good we know about the other characters too.

Marcbot2004 thought they could have the last comment.

They were mistaken.

Sequel AND prequel? What? :rainbowhuh:

A great story. I loved it

Comment posted by Georgdoza deleted Aug 29th, 2020
Comment posted by Georgdoza deleted Mar 17th, 2021

I'll be starting this one tomorrow. I can't wait to learn more of the history of the assassins, and what led Frigid down his dark path. Curious to see if Mirror Match ever really did care for him, or if he was just a food source. Can't wait 👀

Incredible. I'll be back very soon to share my full thoughts.

I've sat down and gathered my thoughts and I just.. This story is phenomenal. If I'm recalling correctly, there's not a single canon character in it aside form Sombra (along with vague allusions to Chrysalis,) and Twilight, who the story was being told to. Despite this, not only are the original characters compelling, I found them more interesting then many canon depictions. If you're wondering if you should read this story based on the dislike count, I highly recommend it. Just make sure you read Leap of Faith first, it makes things much, much easier to understand.

The stars of this for me should be obvious from all my comments but Mirror Math and Frigid Night were so insanely compelling. Watching Frigid start as a confident man with lots of friends and slowly lose his ability to trust, it just hurt like hell man. The one person he truly let in betrayed him, and killed his mentor, and yet despite that, he's still so madly in love, he was almost willing to give up everything just to be with her. It's tragic. His attitude only served to screw him over with the rest of the assassins, which only further isolated him, and caused more issues with his attitude. It's a self-sustaining cycle, and then it leads to him loving Mirror more because she's the only one who shows genuine affection.

Mirror is fantastic as well. Her motivation is so interesting. She doesn't particularly feel strongly for working with the Templars, but her loyalty to the Queen eclipses all. Her constant manipulation of Frigid is so brutal and heartbreaking, he's like a free power source for her. Her executions are also surprisingly cruel, and the ways she always gets what she wants through.. questionable means, is intriguing. For the most part, everything she did felt impersonal, and like she didn't care about anything, but there are some points, such as after the detonation of The Eye (or whatever it was called,) where she ruthlessly hunted anyone involved, that was intense. Along with that, when one of the assassins she genuinely cared for got hurt, she would also react. Interestingly. I'm not sure if Age of Kings really goes into it, but if it doesn't, I would kill for a fic about Psithyra and Chrysalis' past. The two are so interesting, and I'd love to truly learn of their relationship with The Dazzlings. But mostly I'm interested in Psithyra, not gonna lie. We don't know how long she's been searching.

The rest of the cast is great too, I don't have too much to say on them besides they're all likable with interesting stories. Pierce was a huge stand out for me, and honestly I would love an entire fic dedicated to him as well.

At the end where we reached the point that had been mentioned in Leap of Faith it was just.. Legit heartbreaking. I wasn't kidding when I said I was trying my hardest not to cry in class. I knew it was coming, I knew who was going to die and it still hurt like a bitch. I was anticipating it the entire fic, and I just didn't expect it to be quite so tragic. I genuinely cared about these characters and their stories and it was so sad to see them all go when I know there could've been so much more to see.

My only question, which you don't have to answer, is, Does Psithyra genuinely love Frigid? When they were Assassin's together, their feelings seemed genuine, but after that, it always just seemed like Mirror manipulating Frigid for free love. Does she genuinely love him, or is it just one really long act? She is a changeling, after all, that's what they do. I honestly can't tell, and that's arguably a good sign if that's what you were going for. I'm so curious, because throughout the story it seemed like it could go both ways.

Just an absolutely fantastic fic, I enjoyed every minute of it, and I regret putting it off for so long, like I always do with this continuity. I genuinely don't know why this story has so many dislikes, I can only guess that maybe they didn't read Leap of Faith or didn't like that it's a crossover. Regardless, onward to Age of Kings! (in one or two days anyways lmao)

Edit: Also, would there happen to be already drawn designs of Frigid and Mirror Match somewhere? I'd love to draw them.

11069610
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and review this story! We really appreciate all the love and investment you've shown the Bloodlines Continuity all this time. :raritystarry:

There are in fact illustrations of many of the characters in both my blogs and Cinders of War's blog posts. We're so glad that you're going to be starting Age of Kings next, and we hope you'll enjoy is as much as the other entries.

Cheers!

Login or register to comment