• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 2,817 Views, 112 Comments

Sweet Atonement - mouch30



Adagio always thought she knew what was best for her sisters, but with Aria missing and Sonata not understanding why, she must swallow her pride and turn to the one person who'd be willing to help her.

  • ...
10
 112
 2,817

Chapter 4

“Sonata! Hold my hand!”

“Sorry, Dagi. It’s just been so long since I’ve been outside!” Sonata breathed in deeply, a cheerful smile on her face. Sure, her legs were shaking and her breath was short, but she was happy. She twirled around, her pigtails slapping Adagio in the face.

“When you get better, I’ll take you to the park every so often,” Adagio offered, once again grabbing Sonata’s hand before the girl could run off. “But you have to promise to stay by my side now.”

Sonata nodded, and started humming tunelessly.

The two girls were well on their way to Sunset’s house. Sonata was only told that Adagio visited Sunset and they were invited to her house, and while she was shocked at first, she quickly accepted what Adagio had done and was looking forward to burying the hatchet. Plus, she never hated any those girls - in fact, she had wanted to get to know them, especially the pink one.

“You ready?” Sonata whispered, squeezing Adagio’s hand tightly.

“Not really.”

Knock knock.

“Hey girls! Come on in!” Sunset greeted them with a large smile and open arms. After a quick embrace and a squeaky ‘Hiya’ from Sonata, the sirens finally came face to face with the very girls that had defeated them.

“I’ve already told them everything,” Sunset said. “But I think it would be better if they heard your apology coming from yourselves.”

Adagio sighed and gritted her teeth, anger flaring inside of her. Don’t say anything mean, don’t be sassy, control your anger… “Did you bring me here to grovel at the feet of the ones who sought to bring us down?!”

“Okay,” Sunset said. “Adagio, come here.” She grabbed Adagio’s hand and pulled her to the other side of the room. “Are you actually serious?” she asked, roughly shaking the other girl’s hand. “Unless you learn to stop being such a dramatic bitch, we’re not going to help you!”

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry,” Adagio insisted, clenching her fists. “I don’t know what came over me...I’m still angry at them. Please, I’m sorry.”

Sunset sighed. “Don’t apologize to me.”

Adagio turned to see Sonata chatting to the girls. She was holding the hands of the yellow one, who was crying for some reason.

“Ahem,” Adagio cleared her throat, catching the attention of everyone. She twiddled her thumbs. “Hello.”

“Hi!” chirped Pinkie Pie, bouncing across the room and enveloping Adagio into a big hug. “Wow! You smell great!”

“Don’t presume you can touch me so quickly!” screeched Adagio, losing her temper for a second. “Uh, please. Off.”

Pinkie giggled and took a step back. “Sorry! I’m just super excited to get two new friends!”

Adagio cast her eyes down and took a deep breath. She looked up, and opened her mouth.

“I don’t know your names,” she mumbled.

“Well, we can fix that,” Sunset said. “My name is Sunset Shimmer.”

“I’m Pinkie Pie!”

“Rainbow Dash. Surprised you didn’t already know me!”

“Um….I’m...F-Fluttershy.”

“Rarity. Pleased to meet you.”

“Ah’m Applejack.”

“And I’m Sonata!”

“And...my name is Adagio. It’s been a week since you defeated me and my sisters at the show of the Battle of the Bands.” Adagio stood ramrod straight, her hands clasped behind her back. “When you defeated us, our pendants broke. Those pendants were the only things keeping us alive, as we do not know how to absorb any energy without them.”

Sonata’s eyes grew wide. “You never told me that,” she gasped, fingers barely brushing her pale blue throat.

Adagio bent her head. “Without our pendants...without the energy...we’re going to die. I can handle it for some time, but Sonata here is too young...she doesn’t know how to save her own strength and in a short amount of time, will wither away. That is why I came to Sunset, and I come to you five girls.” She looked up and stared at every girl in turn. “I apologize for trying to harm you and your friends. I do not ask for complete forgiveness, but for pity, as I need your help to find a way to save Sonata and myself.”

“Wasn’t there another one?” asked Applejack, eyes darting around the room. “Where’s the purple girl?”

“Aria,” Adagio replied. “has decided to take things into her own hands and has been missing ever since that night. We don’t know where she is, or if she’s even alive.”

“Dagi,” Sonata whined. “Is that true? Am...am I going to die?” Tears pooled at the corners of her eyes and spilled onto her cheeks. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Adagio delicately brushed the tears off her sister’s face. “I don’t know,” she murmured. “I thought I was protecting you from the truth. I should have let you know. I’m sorry. And you're not going to die. I would never allow that.”

“How do we know this isn’t just a trick to make us help them get their powers back?” Rainbow contorted into a challenging pose, ready for a fight. “They’re probably just trying to butter us up before dealing the final blow!”

“Honestly, Rainbow, how could you think that?” Rarity shot her an angry look before softening her face. “Oh, you poor darlings! We’re ever so sorry for the misfortune we’ve caused, even though it was our only option at that time. Nevertheless, we would all be happy to help you. What do you say girls?”

“But if we give them their power back, they’ll just spread negative feelings all over again!” Rainbow cried, earning a nod from Applejack.

“Rainbow’s right,” the country girl added. “We can’t risk another ‘battle of the bands’ again.”

Sunset smiled. “Well, we’ve got a solution for that. Why don’t we sit down and enjoy brunch while we talk about it?”

Everyone sat at Sunset’s kitchen table, waiting for the explanation. Brunch was simple - a large bowl of scrambled eggs, salads of vegetables and fruits, jugs of fresh orange juice and other small delectable treats. Sonata piled her plate up with a little bit of everything; the home cooked goodness of lovingly prepared food substituting magical energy as a strengthener. Even Adagio couldn’t resist sampling everything, and let herself get lost in the tastes, letting Sunset do all the talking.

“So, in conclusion, the sirens just need to learn how to sing for good.” Sunset punctuated her sentence with a nod.

“Alright,” Rainbow drawled, picking at her teeth with her fingernails. Rarity silently rooted around in her bag and slid the toothpick she found over to her friend. Rainbow ignored it. “I believe you, and I accept your apologies. But…” Rainbow smirked. “You gotta prove to us that you’ve changed. That you really want to use your voices for good instead of evil stuff.”

Adagio put down the glass she was drinking from. “And how exactly would we do that?”

“After we get your voices back and whatever…” Rainbow leaned back in her chair. “You’re gonna host a concert at our school, apologize to everyone there, and sing your hearts out until every kid there is melting with positive feelings.”

“That’s a wonderful idea!” Sunset chimed in. “It’s a way to redeem yourselves, and it’s a huge source of energy for you!”

Sonata nodded her head enthusiastically. “Oh, Dagi, that sounds like so much fun! Singing was always our favorite thing to do and we never do it anymore!”

Adagio smiled at Sonata. “Okay. That’s a nice idea. Fine. We’ll do it.”

All the girls started chipping in ideas for the concert.

“Dibs on lead guitar!”

“I have to design you some outfits!”

“I WANT TO DECORATE THE STAGE.”

“Um...shouldn’t we try to find Aria…?”

Everyone fell silent.

“If she wanted to be with us, she would have come back home,” said Adagio, frost in her voice. “It was her choice to leave.”

“O-okay, but, you girls are sisters. I mean, she could be hurt and scared. I could make some lost posters….I mean….if you want…”

“Thank you.”

“Oh..um...what?”

Adagio reached over and placed a tentative hand over Fluttershy’s. “Thank you for your concern. Please do make some posters.”

“She couldn’t have gone far,” said Fluttershy, offering Adagio a gentle smile.

The rest of the morning fared well, with all the girls excited over the prospect of helping the sisters out, and the gathering traversed well into the afternoon. Adagio’s eyes flitted towards the clock hanging on the wall across her.

“This was fun, but we’ve got to go.” Adagio stood up. “I have to get to work soon.”

“Aw, do we have to?” Sonata pleaded.

“Why doesn’t Sonata stay here?” Sunset offered. “I can take her home when she wants to.”

“Well...is that what you want Sonata? Okay, fine.” Adagio gave each of the girls a tentative hug. “Thanks again….for helping.”

“No problemerinerimo,” Pinkie piped. Applejack placed a hand on her shoulder, and whispered softly, “Don’t.”

“We must do this again soon!” Rarity said, bringing Adagio in for one last hug. “And we’ll take good care of Sonata now, don’t you worry!”

“So, a bar eh?” Rainbow asked. “They, uh, they card there?”

“Well, I don’t,” Adagio replied, testing the waters by winking at Rainbow. She was pleased to see the rainbow haired girl wink back.

“Oh, Adagio, actually…” Sunset was carrying a book in her hands. “You left this here.”

“I can take it home,” Sonata offered, sitting on the couch. “Wow! You’ve got such a nice TV!”

“Thanks. See you girls later. And Sonata? Sonata. Sonata! Behave. And say thank you. And…”

“You’re gonna be late,” chuckled Applejack. “Now, go on and git, we can take care of her. Have fun!”

Adagio waved at her friends and left, walking briskly to the bar.

***

“Thank you again for bringing me…” Yawn. “Back home.”

“Anytime. Here’s Adagio’s book.”

“G…” Yawn. “Good night!”

Click.

Sonata placed the book on the kitchen counter. “What a heavy book,” she muttered to herself. She turned to go to the bedroom.

Sssssss……….sssssssonnnnnaaaaatttttaaaaaa……..

“What?” Sonata whipped around, goosebumps rising on her skin. “Who said that?”

It’ssssss meeeee…...mmmooooommmmyyyyyyy…….

The book on the counter moved.

Gooooooo…..to sleeeeeepppp…...ssssweeeeeet dreamssssssss…...