• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 2,814 Views, 112 Comments

Sweet Atonement - mouch30



Adagio always thought she knew what was best for her sisters, but with Aria missing and Sonata not understanding why, she must swallow her pride and turn to the one person who'd be willing to help her.

  • ...
10
 112
 2,814

Chapter 9

Aria took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of freshly laundered sheets. She opened her eyes to find all three of them snuggling in bed.

They hadn’t slept like that for a long time.

She closed her eyes again and burrowed deeper into the covers, feeling safe and happy for the first time in forever.

“Aria? You awake?” Sonata whispered.

“No.”

“Oh, sorry.”

Aria sighed. “What, Sonny?”

“I was just thinking about what you told us yesterday,” Sonata said, her voice soft and sad. “It...it makes me really angry.”

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” Aria said, wrapping an arm around Sonata’s shoulders. “That’s in the past. Besides, I promised to never run away again, didn’t I? That I would never get myself involved with those kinds of people.”

“I know, but...it’s just...the thought of you getting hurt…”

“Don’t cry.”

“Who’s crying? Sonata? Aria? Are you girls ok?” Adagio suddenly shot up, curls flying everywhere.

“No one’s crying. Come on, guys, back to sleep.”

Adagio sighed and fell back into the pillows. Within minutes, she was asleep again.

“Aria? Are you still awake?”

“What?”

“I feel like I don’t tell you how much I love you enough.”

“You’ve told me literally everyday since I came back.”

“Maybe...maybe if I told you before that battle, you wouldn’t have left us.”

Aria began to stroke Sonata’s exposed arm. “I left because I let my anger and fear get the best of me. It wasn’t your fault.”

Sonata sighed, nudging her sister. “Can you sing me to sleep?”

Aria cleared her throat as quietly as she could and began to hum. Her voice, though thick with sleep, was level and soft. The practice sessions with Sunset had paid off.

Within a few minutes, a delicate periwinkle strand of magic emerged from Sonata’s chest, coiling its way to Aria’s throat. She drank it in, and smiled. Sunset was right about her trigger: making others, especially her sisters, happy. She hadn’t been sure about it until today, even though she experienced it yesterday as well. Her desire to have everyone forgive her, her need to be integrated back into the group, it all boiled down to wanting to do them proud.

She continued humming, even though she could tell that Sonata was asleep. She hummed to herself, as if she could lull herself back to sleep as well.

Adagio shifted beside her, and tilted her head, staring at Aria directly. “Aria,” she began. “Could you please shut up?”

Aria grinned, shaking her head. “Sorry, Dagi. You were the one who was so happy to hear me singing again. You asked for this.”

The elder began to disentangle herself from the sheets. “Come with me for a second.”

Aria followed her to the living room, where they both sat down on the couch.

“Aria...I know you might still be thinking about what you’ve done the last two weeks. Memories...they can haunt for you a long time. I know how you feel.”

Aria narrowed her eyes. “You might be able to relate to me a little. But you didn’t experience hell like I did.”

She felt a hand on her shoulder, pulling her close.

“I did some questionable things as well. Do you remember that time we fought because I wouldn’t let you come with me?”

Aria adjusted herself so she was curled up comfortably. “Yeah?”

“Do you know what I was keeping you safe from?”

She shrugged.

“It was...something strange. I wanted to check it out.” She took a deep breath. “It was an underground society of people who believed they tapped into magic. Any magic. I wanted to see if they were serious.”

“Were they?”

“Yes and no. Yes, they had come across real magic, but they had no idea what to do with it. A part of me wanted to become their leader, but I was also scared and wanted to shut it down. It was dangerous.”

“What were they called?” Aria asked, heart beating fast. “What did they call themselves?”

Adagio didn’t answer for a minute. The next words that came out of her mouth gave Aria goosebumps on her arms.

Adagio cleared her throat. “So, are you excited for the concert?”

The younger sister shrugged. “Kinda. I’m almost looking forward to singing backup the whole time.”

“What? Oh my gosh...didn’t you see the song Sonata and I have been writing? We’ve all got solos. You still need to write yours, by the way.”

Aria titled her head up, a uncharacteristically happy look on her face. “Are you serious? Like, I get a solo?”

That got a laugh out of Adagio. “Yeah, of course. I guess I’m tired of being in the spotlight all the time. I want to share it with you.”

The two girls sat in silence, enjoying each other’s company. Aria allowed the gentle embrace of sleep to take her. She fell asleep with Adagio’s heartbeat pounding in her ears.

***

Sunset stared at her phone in front of her. It had beeped no less than two seconds ago, displaying a notification from her planner app.

The concert was today.

There was so much to do. She looked up to see the Dazzlings huddled together, polishing their routine. They had run through the whole song thousands of times already, but Sunset’s ears never tired from hearing it. Even though they weren’t performing for real, they were still able to draw positive energy out of the girls. It was a vicious cycle of beautiful singing to happiness to even more beautiful singing to even more happiness…

“I’m he~ere!” Rarity’s melodic voice wafted into the room. She threw the door open, three large bags swinging in her arms. “And I’ve got your dresses!”

“Ooh! I can’t wait to see them,” said Sonata, jumping up to snatch the bag with her name on it. “I bet it looks amazing!”

Rarity flipped her hair back and grinned. “I suppose you’ve won that bet, dear.” She dropped the bags on a table next to the other girls. “I know that you girls love being flashy and fabulous, but I was trying to go for a minimalistic design with these dresses. Simple and elegant to perfectly showcase your modesty and road to redemption.”

“Aw, I was really looking forward to wearing my skin tight, neon green leopard print jumpsuit,” sighed Aria.

“Don’t you ever say that phrase to me ever again.”

Adagio chuckled and moved to sit next to Sunset. “How long before we have to be on stage?”

Sunset checked her phone again. “About three hours. I can’t believe it’s finally here.”

“Neither can I,” Adagio replied, slowly gazing at everyone in the room.

Her sisters continued to describe outrageous costume designs to Rarity, in spite of her disgust. Rainbow and Applejack were subtly arguing about whether to have a flashy light show or just have humble spotlights. Pinkie and Fluttershy were presumed to be on stage, hanging banners and streamers on the scaffolding.

Everyone was doing something productive (well, besides Aria and Sonata). Adagio’s chest hurt at the thought of the six girls who tried so hard to make this night possible. She stole a quick glance at Sunset, who was chewing her bottom lip and fiddling with her phone.

“Hey, don’t be nervous,” Adagio said. “You’re not the one who’s going to be singing in front of a whole crowd.”

“I just can’t help but fidget. There’s nothing for me to do.”

Adagio hesitantly placed a hand on Sunset’s bouncing knee. “You’ve done enough for us,” she said. “You can relax until the concert starts. I’m sure there’ll be something to fix.”

That got a giggle out of Sunset. “You’re right. I’m going to check on the stage. Catch you later.”

She watched Sunset walk out of the room, eyes still trained on the doorway long after she had left.

“Adagio! It’s time to try on our dresses!” Sonata said, pulling Adagio into a standing position. “Let’s get glamorous!”

***

Aria glared at her reflection. “I look horrible.”

“Oh hush, you,” Rarity lightly slapped Aria with the back of her hairbrush. “You look beautiful.”

Aria’s hair hung in her usual pigtails. Rarity had washed, conditioned, carefully dried, brush, and straightened her multicolored tresses until they fell like two silky waterfalls over her shoulders. Her eyelids were dusted with silvery glitter, and pink lipstick had been applied to her lips. However, she still wore a sneer.

“Look at me. I look like a five year old.” She gestured wildly to her dress: soft and white, with puffy sleeves and a high neckline, covering her atrocious ink. The hem flared out like petals, reaching just above her knee. “Why didn’t you give me, like, a thigh slit?”

“You’re supposed to look pure,” hissed Rarity. “Not sexy.”

Sonata laughed and twirled around. Her face was made up similarly, but her dress, with its cap sleeves and flowing hem hung loose on her slight frame and allowed her to move more freely. “I don’t why you’re complaining — these dresses are beautiful!”

“I have to agree.”

Adagio stepped out of the supply closet, smoothing her long gown. Her dress was different in both length and shape. While the others had their shoulders covered, Adagio’s were bare, with thin straps holding the dress up. Her hem brushed the tips of her feet, swaying whenever she took a step. It hugged her figure and gave her a more womanly look, instead of young and innocent like her sisters.

“Why does she get the sexy one?” cried Aria.

There was a knock on the door.

“Girls? You ready? I’ve got something for you.”

Sunset opened the door, a plastic bag in her hand. “Hey everyo—...woah.”

Adagio looked up to meet Sunset’s gaze. Her mouth and fallen open, and two pale roses bloomed on her cheeks. “What do you think?” Adagio asked as she slowly turned around, reveling in the smoothness of the dress against her legs.

“You...girls look totally hot,” Sunset finally answered. She gave them a smirk. “Don’t break any hearts tonight.”

“What do you have for us?” asked Aria, staring at the package. “It is dinner?”

“No, it’s a gift. An apology gift.” Sunset reached in and took out three thick chokers. They were black, with a ruby stone in the shape of a heart dangling from the center. “Sorry for breaking those beautiful pendants.”

The sirens gasped and rushed over, eagerly smiling at receiving the gift. Aria and Sonata immediately helped each other to put them on, squealing with delight. Adagio held hers in her hand, feeling the heavy weight of the pendant, the smooth surfaces of the gem.

“Here, let me,” murmured Sunset, taking the necklace back. Adagio helped by sweeping her mass of curls to one side, exposing her neck. She felt the warmness of Sunset’s fingers on her back, delicately fastening the metal clasp. Did...did her fingers just linger on her skin for a second? Adagio snuck a look behind her, but Sunset had already moved away.

“Where did you get these?” asked Adagio, stroking the stone. “They’re gorgeous.”

Sunset shrugged. “Honestly, they’re just costume jewelry. Nothing that special.”

“Well, they mean a lot to us,” said Adagio, her voice unnaturally soft and tender. She cleared her throat. “Thank you.”

Sunset’s hand wavered in the air before it patted Adagio awkwardly on the back. “Ha, yeah. You’re welcome. I’m gonna...check up on some other stuff. See you.”

Adagio turned to the other girls, smiling. “I’m gonna go for a walk. Feeling kinda nervous.”

Rarity waved her hand. “You go on ahead, dear. Now, Aria….perhaps we can do something more with your face…”

Adagio left her sisters in the clutches of Rarity and walked the opposite way that Sunset had left; in her fist, she gripped her backpack.

She reached a pair of metal doors — an exit to the back of the school. Perfect.

The night air was cool and sharp. She silently cursed Rarity for not giving her longer sleeves. Carefully, she set her backpack down and knelt (ever so carefully, as to not ruin her outfit), taking out the thick tome. Why she still had it, she had no idea. Some nights, she liked to flick through the pages and read about the fantastical creatures the author had known about. Deep in her bag was the ripped piece of paper. Adagio plucked it from the depths and smoothed it out.

“Can you hear me?” she asked, shaking the paper. “I just want you to know that we’ve won. We’ve started absorbing positive energy again, and your spell has been broken. You’ll never hurt my sisters or anyone else again.” Very slowly, she opened the page. She was looking forward to gloating to the picture.

She set the page down, her eyes travelling from the chunk of text...down...to nothing.

Her blood ran cold.

The Maestro was not there.

She flipped the page over again and again, trying to find the picture. Nothing.

“Where’d you go?” she whispered, hands starting to shake. Her heart felt heavy, her fingertips numb. She looked at the book in front of her. Of course.

She threw the cover open, and there, on the front page, was the delicately drawn figure. Adagio slapped the page and ripped it. She heard ghostly laughter as the drawing swam from the front page to the next.

Catch meeeeeee…...if you caaaaannnnn…..

The chase began. Adagio would rip page after page from the book, always one step behind the Maestro. She didn’t even try to keep up anymore — she just tore the pages at a frantic pace. Her breathing felt tight and spots swam behind her eyes. Her head throbbed as she gritted her teeth, desperate to get rid of the foul beast. She should have burned that book. She should have let the flames take the Maestro, destroy her. She grabbed another page….

“Ow! Fuck! Fuck!”

A spot of blood welled up from the papercut across her finger, splattering against the paper.

The Maestro lingered on the next page, feeling the warmth and wetness of the blood seeping into the threads of pulp. She took a hesitant step towards the blood.

Slap!

Adagio’s hand came down hard, as if the force of her skin was enough to trap the Maestro. She swam harder, merging with the blood, clawing her way into Adagio’s wound, and into her bloodstream.

The siren lifted her hand. The Maestro was gone.

Her finger throbbed, hot and itchy all at once. She lifted her finger and stroked her pendant, pressing her pad hard against the smooth, cool surface. She stood up on wobbling legs. She needed someone, and fast.

The book was left on the ground, pages fluttering in the breeze. They were blown across the floor and lifted into the air, never to be seen again.

***

Sunset smiled to herself, and applied another layer of lip gloss to her lips. She wanted to look nice today.

The bathroom door was smacked open, revealing a bright eyed Adagio. Her chest heaved and blood oozed from her finger.

“Adagio, what the heck happened to you?” Sunset grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her to the sinks. She washed the cut as carefully as she could and pressed a wet napkin to it. “That could have gotten infected,” she said, holding Adagio’s hand.

“Sunset,” Adagio muttered, closing the distance between them. “You’re too kind to me.”

Sunset laughed nervously, suddenly aware at how tall Adagio’s heels made her. “Th-that’s what friends are for.”

“Friends,” Adagio repeated. She lifted her good arm and softly caressed Sunset’s cheek.

Her fingers left a trail of fire.

“There has to be a way to repay your kindness,” continued Adagio, fingers leaving her cheek and travelling to the nape of her neck. Her open palm slid towards the back of her neck, weaving her fingers into Sunset’s hair. “Let me know if there’s anything you want.”

Sunset froze. She did not like where this was going. “H-hey, Adagio, w-what are you doing?”

The siren’s eyes were lidded, and bore deep into Sunset’s. “I’m just letting you know how I feel,” she purred, pressing her body against hers. She was still breathing heavily, her passionate expression maimed by the fear that was coursing through her body. “I realize now...my trigger...my desires...they all stem from you, Sunset. You made me a better person. I owe you everything. Let’s be together, Sunset. I-I can make you happy.” She closed her eyes...she clenched them, and moved to kiss Sunset. She expected their bodies to meld together as their love took over…

Instead, Sunset’s hand came in between their mouths. “No!” she squealed. “Adagio...get away from me!”

Adagio let go of Sunset’s hair and stepped back, anger blazing on her face. “What?” she asked.

“What are you trying to pull on me?” Sunset was visibly shaken from the interaction. “I-I...do you…”

“I thought we had something,” snapped Adagio. “I thought that when we sang together, it meant we had a connection.”

“I mean, sure...but,” mumbled Sunset. She sighed. “Adagio, you’re a great girl...I really like you...but...this...our friendship...”

“You’re telling me you don’t feel anything for me except friendship?” she snarled. “Why the fuck were you leading me on?”

“I wasn’t trying to lead you on!” Sunset pleaded. “When did I ever lead you on? Please, just calm down! I didn’t mean to hurt you…let me explain...”

“Save it,” she spat, and turned to march out the door. “Guess I’ll just have to find someone else who’d appreciate me.”

“Adagio! Wait! The concert’s in half an hour!”

***

“...then she just left.”

Applejack kept a comforting patting rhythm on Sunset’s back. “Now, don’t go blaming yourself,” she said, reading Sunset’s mind. “We’ll find her in time. Got any idea where she might be headed?”

“I don’t know. Just to someone who’d appreciate her.”

“I...I think I know who that might be,” Sonata said, raising her hand. “Um...her boss...High Spirits? Adagio’s always complaining that he’s hitting on her and stuff.”

“I know where she works.” Sunset looked up. “Rainbow, you’re coming with me. Everyone else, try to keep the crowd happy. Play some instruments or something. We’ll be back with Adagio...hopefully.”

The girls nodded and broke off, ready to do their part.

“Think she’ll agree to calm down?” asked Rainbow as they ran towards the bar.

“I have no idea.”

***

High Spirits sat in his office, looking over strewn sheets of paper. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. Adagio was more than an hour late.

A knock on the door pulled him out of his thoughts of her.

There she was, in a long white dress, one strap hanging off her shoulder.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey,” she replied, her voice hard.

“You’re late.”

“Who cares?”

“I...uh...why are you wearing that?”

“I thought you liked it when I showed off my figure,” Adagio said, her eyes narrowing.

Spirits shrugged. “Uh. Ok.”

They stared at each other in silence.

Adagio took a step towards his desk. “You seem frazzled, dear,” she said. “What were you doing before I came in? Were you thinking about me? Is that it? Do you think about me when you’re alone? Do you think about me when you’re in bed?”

Spirits sighed once more. “Listen, Adagio. I know you’re only 17; I know a fake ID when I see one.”

“That never stopped you from trying to ask me out.” Adagio perched herself on the edge of his desk, legs crossed. “It never stopped you from...wanting to get me alone.”

His cheeks turned red. “H-hey, I was just humoring you. Trying to be friendly.”

Adagio’s laugh was harsh and bitter. “Sure you were,” she sang, rolling her eyes. She lifted one leg and rested it between his legs, barely touching him. “Why don’t you humor me some more?”

“Th-this is inappropriate behavior. If you don’t leave right now, I’ll fire you.”

“So, Spirit, you were right. I do like to sing. Would you like to hear me sing a song?” she asked, leaning forward. Her dress strap slid down even more, exposing more of her chest.

His eyes flickered to and fro, first on her eyes, then to the slight swell of her breasts. “Uh….”

Listen, one and all,
Heed my Siren’s call,
As you’re swept into the waves
To meet your watery graves.

Listen, my dear friend,
I’ll love you ‘till the end.
My desperate Siren’s song
Come to string you along…”

Adagio twisted her body so that she was lying down on his desk, pushing all his papers to the floor.

I see it in your eyes,
You crave my lullabies,
To take you in and under,
A desperate mortal’s song.

I understand your need,
For I too must feed
On your undenying love,
A desperate Siren song.

I want to give you all you desire,
I want to share my pain and all my pleasure.
I understand your cravings, and your wants.
I understand the burning in your heart.”

She sat up and placed her palms on Spirit’s thighs. Her eyes hinted red as she leaned in closer, breath hot on his neck.

I can hear your every wish.
I can smell your every fear.
I can tell when you want more,
I know when your fate is near.

I can sense your passion,
Coiling underneath
Those restricting fabrics,
A sword locked in its sheath.”

She grimaced after that last line, tasting something familiar. Green mist poured out of Spirit’s chest, his eyes glowing green. Drool hung from his lower lip, swaying along with with his body. Adagio glanced down to see a bulge in his pants, and heard a yelp from him. She hadn’t realized she was digging her nails into his thighs. She closed her eyes and inhaled the noxious gas, tasting it as it wreathed around her tongue and trickled down her throat. It was foul, but it gave her the might to continue, milking every drop of lust from the man in front of her. He was growing pale.

She was growing strong.

***

The bar was loud, and sweat hung in the air like a disease. Bodies writhed and tinny music blared from the speakers.

“Hey,” Sunset called to the bartender. “Did you see a tall girl wearing a long white dress come in here?”

The woman at the bar shrugged. “Lotta girls come in wearing dresses, doll.”

“She kinda looks like mustard,” Rainbow added. “Crazy, crazy hair. Probably looked ready to kill.”

The bartender laughed. “Adagio? Yeah, she went into Spirit’s office way back. She’s great.”

Sunset marched to the closed door and jiggled the handle, finding it locked. “Shit,” she muttered.

“Allow me,” Rainbow said, pushing Sunset to the side. She lifted her leg and kicked the door, breaking the flimsy hinges.

They poked their heads in to find Adagio straddling him, dress hitched to her hip. His hands listlessly roamed around her body, his face slack.

“Adagio!” cried Sunset. She closed her eyes and turned, sickened by the display.

The siren glanced up, frowning at the two girls. “What do you want?”

She was roughly grabbed by Rainbow. “Okay, Adagio,” she began. “You’re gonna release this poor schmuck from your spell, you’re going to apologize to Sunset for being a total bitch, and then you’re going to get your ass on stage and be fucking positive.” She jerked her arm, pulling Adagio off Spirit and onto the floor.

Adagio bowed her head and broke the spell. Spirit, now free, gasped and stood up, shaking his head.

“What the hell?” he groaned, rubbing his eyes. He noticed his position and quickly sat down. “Out of my office now!” he hollered. “I don’t know what happened, but I want you gone, Adagio. You’re fucking fired. Get out.”

She got up, brushed specks of dust from her dress, and turned to Spirit.

Then she punched him in the face.

Rainbow let out a loud guffaw, breaking her tough act.

Adagio followed the two girls out of the bar and all the way back to the school.

“Sunset,” she whispered, leaning towards her friend. “I’m so—”

The redhead ducked her head and sped up, hugging herself tightly.

“Where are the others?” Adagio asked.

“They’re backstage.” Rainbow took Adagio by the upper arm. “Come on, this way.”

“Wait, Sunset! Are you coming?” Adagio called, looking back...but Sunset was already gone.

“No time for that now! You’re on!”

Adagio stood next to her sisters.

“Where have you been?” Aria hissed. “You almost missed our introduction!”

“...and as a sign of their gratitude and new perspective, the Dazzlings have offered to put an apology concert on for us. Now, I know what some of you might be thinking. Could this be trickery? I am a believer of second chances, which is why I am putting my trust in these girls. I only ask that you all do the same. Now, without further ado, I present the Dazzlings!”

The curtains lifted, and warm lights spilled onto the stage, blinding Adagio.

“Dagi!” Aria whispered. “Come on!”

Adagio cleared her throat. “H-hello, students of Canterlot High. I am...Adagio Dazzle, and these are my sisters, Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk. We...we want to apologize for our, ahem, behavior a few weeks ago. We were lost without the...magic of friendship, but now we are ready to share what we have learned with you. Please, accept our apologies, and enjoy.”

Rarity’s gentle piano playing filled the air, along with Applejack’s mellow acoustic.

It was time.

Sonata stepped forward, and, accompanied by her sisters’ humming, began to sing:

There were times when we thought our story over,
Had to work to see through the chaos that we brought.
And we waited for our troubles to spill over,
In a suffocating web of shame, we were caught.

But we realized,
we realized that there was more
than telling lies,
than trying to hurt the world.
We realized,
That friendship could help us in so many ways,
So many ways…”

Her voice was joined by her sisters.

And we’ve finally found what we’ve been searching for,
We’ve finally opened that one locked door.
And we have you to thank,
For helping us make things right,
And we hope to follow you
Into the light.”

A miasma of mist rose from the crowd, slowly drifting towards the Dazzlings. Sonata closed her eyes and spun around, inhaling the fragrant magic. Aria smiled, and raised the microphone to her mouth:

Our journey has taken us
To places far and wide.
We left behind a trail of fear,
And terror in our stride.

Our eyes were closed,
We couldn’t find our way,
But now we see that
The answer’s clear as day.

And we realized,
We realized that there was more
Than telling lies,
Than trying to hurt the world.
We realized,
That friendship could help us in so many ways,
So many ways…”

And we’ve finally found what we’ve been searching for,
We’ve finally opened that one locked door.
And we have you to thank,
For helping us make things right,
And we hope to follow you
Into the light.”

Aria’s grin grew, feeling the warmth and happiness from her audience. Her heart hurt, beating hard against her ribs. They...they loved her! They loved her voice, and they wanted more. Tears prickled in her eyes, spilling over the lids and onto her cheeks. She bit her lip to prevent herself from bawling, and instead bowed her head in appreciation. She snuck a peek at Sonata, who gave her an enthusiastic smile and a thumbs up. The crowd cheered, adoring the Dazzlings.

Rainbow joined with a short guitar riff, sending the crowd into a frenzy.

Adagio inhaled, the magic getting caught in her throat. She coughed on the sly, nervousness and fear settling in. If she wasn’t able to absorb all this positive energy, could she sing? It was her turn:

We admit we were wrong,
We have seen our faults,
And we understand now
What needs to be done.

With every single one of you,
Helping out,
We can...can…”

Adagio began to cough.

“Dagi?” Sonata whispered, placing a hand on Adagio’s quivering form. “You okay?”

“My...my throat…” she wheezed, falling to her knees. “The...necklace...tight…”

The crowd was lost in a wave of euphoria and didn’t react to the fallen girl. Her sisters rushed to her side, along with the rest of the Rainbooms.

“Nngah,” Adagio cried, pushing everyone around her away. “Get...away! Aaah!”

With a final scream, her necklace constricted around her throat, and the stone shattered. A plume of black smoke emerged, growing thicker and bigger by the second. It floated into the sky, above the entire stage. Slowly, it took shape. The head became more prominent — long and lean, with two piercing red eyes — and hoofed forelegs stretched out. The smoke whipped around, the trail of mist forming a sharp, finned tail.

“What the heck is that?” screamed Pinkie.

“You may not recognize me,” the smoke hissed. Its voice was warm and heavy, and strangely soothing. “But I know three girls who might.”

“Mother,” whispered Adagio.

“It’s the Maestro,” Applejack realized. “She’s...how?”

The Maestro laughed and stared at the kneeling siren. “Why don’t you ask my favorite daughter?”

Aria gripped Adagio’s shoulder. “Dagi...what is she talking about?”

“I...kept...paper...must have...escaped...dunno…”

“Oh, you don’t know why? Well, allow me to explain. You offered me a means of escape. That nasty little cut of yours turned out to be extremely useful, dear. Didn’t you feel me wriggling inside your skin when you oh so rudely smeared your blood on my page? Let’s not forget you graciously feeding me with that poor boy.”

“Was this your plan all along?” Rainbow asked. “To bring your crazy mother back?”

“No!” Adagio scratched at her throat. “P….lease…”

“My, what beautiful young girls you’ve all become,” the Maestro cooed. “Aria, why the frown? You were always such an ungrateful little brat. Ah, Sonata. How’s my second favorite daughter? Still as naive and stupid as always? And who are your new friends? Will you introduce me? I’d love to get to know them…”

“We’re never going to get to know you,” cried Rainbow. “And we’re the fucking Elements of Harmony, here to kick your sorry smokey ass back to hell!”

The Maestro gave the illusion of cocking an eyebrow. “How crude. I don’t appreciate that tone, young lady.”

With a flick of her tail, two chains burst from her body, racing towards Rainbow. They caught her wrists and melded into the floor, taking Rainbow down with them. She fell backwards and slammed her head on the stage, eyes rolling back and mouth agape.

Fluttershy ran to her side. “Rainbow!” She gave a sigh of relief. “I feel a pulse. She’s just out cold.”

“Listen here, you over-sized...piece of soot!” Applejack crossed her arms. “You’re messin’ with the wrong girls, y’hear? You’re gonna regret comin’ out of that book.”

The Maestro regarded Applejack with a stern stare. “Are all of your friends this rude?” she asked, before baring her teeth. Tendrils of smoke snaked out of her form and shot towards Applejack, circling her and encasing her in a smokey cage. “I wonder, does anyone else have anything to say?” She twisted her head around, black pupils swiveling in red. The rest of the girls collectively shut up. “That’s better.”

“Leave us alone,” Sonata cried. “We’re finally happy! We’re finally being accepted for who we are! Why do you have to come back and ruin everything?”

The Maestro stared at Sonata. Her tail reached out and gently grabbed her, lifting her high into the air.

“But we’re family,” the Maestro breathed. “Isn’t that the most important thing? Don’t worry, my dears. I’m not going to hurt you.” She brought Sonata forward until the girl was inches away from the monster’s black lips. They lightly touched her pale cheek, leaving a smear of bloody ashes. Sonata squirmed, then went limp as she fell unconscious. “I’m not going to hurt my daughters,” the Maestro continued. “I want us to be happy, together! Now that I’m free, we can take this world for ourselves and rule it together!”

Aria stood up, face burning with tears and rage. “The only way we could be happy is with you dead!” she screamed. “You think you can just waltz into our lives and expect us to follow you and your evil schemes? We don’t want to rule this world. We want to be a part of it.”

“Is that anyway to speak to your mother?” The Maestro snorted, sending plumes of smoke out of her nostrils. “I didn’t raise you like this.”

“No, you raised us to be monsters like you!”

A tentacle whipped across Aria’s face, leaving a bright red welt on her cheek. Blood beaded out of the wound.

“S-stop!” Adagio gasped, pulling on her choker. The necklace continued to strangle her, squeezing every last breath of air out of her. “D-don’t...hurt…”

“Oh? Do you have something to say as well, Adagio?”

The necklace released its grip and Adagio coughed wildly, the sudden rush of air making her dizzy. She knelt and gagged, taking desperate breaths. She craned her head behind to find the Rainbooms huddling together, terror plastered on their faces. Sonata was hanging pressed against the Maestro’s chest, and Aria was on the floor, one side of her face ragged and red.

“Well?” The Maestro chuckled. “I’m waiting.”

“Adagio!”

The siren looked at the crowd in front of her. The students were still in a trance, eyes glowing a variety of pastel shades, frozen in their places. They didn’t realize what was happening.

“Adagio!”

One of the students was running towards the stage.

“Adagio, please! You have to get up!”

Her eyes were wide and bright, brimming with tears.

“Adagio!”

Sunset reached the stage. She skidded to a stop, her chest heaving. “Adagio,” she said. “You can’t let this happen again. Get up! Sing, Adagio. You’re so much more powerful than you think you are. You can defeat her, Adagio.”

“I...can’t...sing,” Adagio sobbed. “How…alone?”

“You’re not alone, Adagio,” muttered Aria, lifting her head from the floor. “I’ll sing my fucking heart out if it means we can defeat her.”

“And you’ve got us!” Applejack waved her hands in the air, still determined after being trapped. “We’re all behind you!”

“And you’ve got me,” Sunset stated. “Isn’t...isn’t that all you need?”

“Friendship.” Adagio smiled sadly.

She felt a hand on her shoulder. Sunset was looming over her.

“And love.”

Sunset knelt and pressed her lips to Adagio’s forehead.

She stood up, hair blowing in the wind.

“Maestro!” she called out, her voice strong and powerful. “We refuse to let you take this world, and we refuse to live in fear! Your time has come now.” She gripped the microphone tightly.

We admit we were wrong,
We have seen our faults,
And we understand now
What needs to be done.

With every single one of you,
Helping out,
We can start to make some changes,
Inside and out.

And we realized,
We realized that there was more
Than telling lies,
Than trying to hurt the world.
We realized,
That friendship could help us in so many ways,
So many ways…”

The Maestro barked. “You think your silly little song is enough to defeat me?”

Adagio paid no attention to her.

And we’ve finally found what we’ve been searching for,
We’ve finally opened that one locked door.
And we have you to thank,
For helping us make things right,
And we hope to follow you
Into the light.”

They waited. Nothing happened.

The Maestro laughed once more. “You really did think it could defeat me!”

Adagio shut her eyes. She really did think that was enough.

We can see your spirit,
Your sorrow and your hope,
We understand you need our help,
An extra raft, some extra rope.

And we are prepared,
To give you what you need.
We are all willing
To help you see….”

Adagio turned to find Sunset next to her, holding the microphone to her lips. Her hands shook, but her voice was steady.

“Sunset,” whispered Adagio.

“Sing for me, Adagio,” she replied. “Take my energy.”

In the shadows of my soul,
In the corners where I couldn't hear a sound.
A part of me torn from the whole,
In my own madness I was bound.

You reached out to me…
You called and now I listen.
You gave me something that’d been missing
All this time…

You gave me light, and love, and peace and hope.
An extra raft, some extra rope.
And I’ll put those things together,
And I’ll become a better person
For you.”

Sunset closed her eyes and sighed in bliss, rose smoke rising from her chest and surrounding Adagio. The siren drank in the magic, a smile spreading across her face. She turned to face the Maestro, who had a disgusted look on her face.

“Disgusting,” she seethed. “Positive energy, I see. How...weak. Shall I show you how it’s actually done?” She opened her mouth and hummed, the melody haunting and dripping with malice. The students, with their smiling faces, suddenly convulsed as the spell from the Dazzlings broke. Cries and moans erupted from the crowd, filling the air with fear and sickly green mist.

Adagio clenched her fists and exhaled. She felt the pools of collected positive energy bubbling inside her, waiting to be released as pure magic. She reached out and touched them, calling upon the energy to give her the strength she needed. Slowly, her eyes tingled and began to glow. Ribbons of magic wove out of her chest and around her, and leathery wings burst from her back. She hovered gently in the air, hair brushing the back of her calves.

“Aria,” she called out, her voice as ethereal as her new form. “Look. They need you.” She extended a hand and a plume of magic shot out, heading straight for Aria’s wound. The magic closed it up.

“Thanks, sis,” Aria said. She lifted the microphone to her mouth:

In times of trouble,
In moments of fear,
I could feel the danger
Growing near.

I had no means of fighting,
Didn’t know why I was trying,
Couldn’t see a point
Any more.

But with your friendship,
I can start to understand
That it’s okay
To take a helping hand.”

Something inside Aria began to glow. She breathed in deep, the magic emanating from the students floating towards her. Strands of negative and positive energy mingled together. Aria took them all in, and exhaled the green mist. She gathered it between her hands and grasped the ends, pulling tight and shattering the magic.

“Nice.”

The glowing in her core brightened, and she too began to float. Magic surrounded her, soft and loving, and she burst through the light.

Adagio smiled and flew towards her sister, holding a hand out. “You’ve never looked better.”

Aria laughed, grabbing Adagio’s hand. “Gotta say, I think the color white is growing on me.”

The Maestro loomed over them, mouth set in a hard frown. “Disgraceful,” she hissed. Her grip on Sonata tightened, bringing the girl back to reality. “I’m the one who gave up everything I was and had to bring you three into the world. Is this how you repay me? By turning against me?”

“We never asked to be brought into this world,” Aria yelled.

The Maestro frowned and started singing again. This time, her voice took a deeper tone, reaching into the depths of the humans’ souls to find their fears.

“We have to help them,” Adagio said. “We need to break her spell, just like the Rainbooms did to us.”

Aria smirked. “We need to get Sonata first — and I know just the way.” Her body crouched into an offensive stance. “We’re gonna use a little of that magic we’ve been collecting.”

Adagio nodded and imitated her. “I’ll follow your lead.”

They flew up, ready to face the Maestro head on. Aria let out a beam of white magic from her fingertips, slicing a few of the tendrils that were creeping out of the Maestro’s body. A tentacle was snaking its way behind her, but was quickly vaporized by Adagio’s own attack.

“You’ll pay for that,” screeched the Maestro. Her body crumpled before expanding and exploding into bits of ashy bullets. The bullets grew wings and shot towards the girls.

Adagio made a sweeping motion with her arm and a translucent shield of energy appeared in front of them. “How exactly are we going to get Sonata?” she asked, straining to keep the shield up.

“You distract her, and I’ll make a grab for Sonata,” Aria replied. “After this wave, let down your shield. Get in front of her face, aim for her eyes, but be careful. I’ll try to cut Sonata loose.”

“Well, that’s not the worst plan I’ve heard,” Adagio grunted. “Alright, get ready.”

The banging on the shield subsided, and Adagio let the shield down. Her fingers wiggled, and two balls of magic gathered on her palms. Holding them out to the Maestro, she was able to continuously shoot orbs of magic. She let a volley of blasts free, dodging the Maestro’s own defences. The Maestro roared as one of Adagio’s blasts hit her in the face, thrashing her hooves and tentacles wildly.

Aria ducked her head, trying not to get hit. She beat her wings furiously, soaring higher and higher until she was near Sonata. “Sonny!” she cried. “I’m gonna get you out!”

The blue girl nodded. “That’d be cool.”

Aria closed her eyes and pressed her palms flat against each other. She blew gently on her fingers, and out of the hollow of her hands, a long, glimmering sword of light grew. The grip wound around her hand and she lifted it high into the air, cutting the smoke around Sonata in one clean stroke.

“Eep!” Sonata squealed. “Catchmecatchmecatchme!”

Aria swooped down and grabbed her sister, pulling her close. “I got you, sis.”

As soon as they landed, Fluttershy rushed to meet them. “Oh, I was so worried,” she gasped, wrapping her arms around Sonata. “They need you to help, Sonata. I believe in you!”

Sonata blushed and returned the hug. “I’ll do my best for you!”

She bent down and took hold of her microphone. “Is this thing on?” she asked tentatively.

Who knew that all we needed,
Was to be shown a bit love.
Your fingers around my hand,
They fit like a glove.

I will never feel scared,
I will never feel lost
Because now I’ll protect you,
No matter the cost!

In a blinding flash, wings unfurled from Sonata’s back, and she joined her sisters in the air. “This is amazing!” she whooped, twirling around. She spread her arms out and let a barrage of missiles at the Maestro. They fizzled and left holes in her smoking body.

“That’s enough!” The Maestro roared. She snorted and cracked the air with her tail. Black mist oozed from her body, coiling and contorting into crude versions of the Dazzlings. The clones sped forward, bodies poised to attack.

Sonata wiped the air and a streak of magic glided out, slicing the Shadow Sonata in half. Aria followed suite, except she clapped her hands and let out bolts of lightning. Adagio held her arm out, and a spear of light formed between her fingers. She lifted the spear, getting ready to impale the monster wearing her face…

...Except that it looked exactly like Sunset.

“What?” Adagio muttered, before being struck down. The Shadow Sunset collided into her, taking her out of the air. They fell down, wind whipping at their hair and clothes. Adagio struggled to break free, taking care not to hurt the monster clinging to her.

The shadow grabbed Adagio’s face. “Don’t you want me?” it hissed. “The real Sunset doesn’t. Aren’t I just as good?”

“No!” Adagio screamed, digging her hands into the shadow’s chest and ripping it in half. She regained her balance mere feet from the ground. “Alright girls,” she yelled. “Let’s get in formation!”

The two sirens nodded and waited for Adagio to reach them. They hovered in a line in front of the Maestro, ready to strike.

“It’s over now, Maestro,” Adagio called out. “Prepare to be defeated!”

Adagio held out her hands and smiled when she felt her sisters holding on. She looked to her left to see Aria, face set in a determined frown. To her right, for the first time, Sonata looked serious. She met Adagio’s stare and nodded once.

“So, you band together to betray me,” the Maestro said. “Where are the girls who murdered their own kind so long ago? Where are my daughters?”

“They are gone,” Adagio replied. “And they will stay gone as long as we have our friends by our side.”

“You may have power now, but you’re not as strong as us! We have something you’ll never have,” Sonata added.

“And you’re never gonna guess what it is,” Aria sneered.

“Yes, yes, I am aware you have positive energy,” the Maestro snarled.

“It’s not just that,” Adagio said. “You see, it’s easy for sirens to feed off positive energy. We just need a reason to make others happy. Even you could do it. No, we don’t just have positive energy. We have magic.” She raised their hands high. “The magic of friendship!”

With a loud boom, a three toned rainbow consisting of pastel shades of orange, purple and blue burst out of each of the Dazzlings’ chests. The rainbow shot up and fell back down in an elegant curve, engulfing the Maestro in all its bright glory.

Nnnoooo!” it shrieked, black body shrivelling into dust. “You can’t! I...created….

In a blinding flash, the Maestro was gone.

The three girls slowly lowered themselves onto the stage, grateful to feel hard flooring underneath their feet.

“We did it!” laughed Sonata, gathering her sisters’ in for a hug. “We defeated her!”

“Well, we wouldn’t have had to if someone kept their blood to themselves,” muttered Aria.

“I love you too,” Adagio sighed.

“Wow! Amazing! That was great,” called Applejack. “Now how about you gals use your fancy magic weapons and free me?”

Adagio sent a blade of light to cut through the bars. “Happy?” She was tackled by Applejack, who ran towards her and enveloped her into a giant hug.

“Happier than a horse in an apple orchard!”

“Okay, sure.”

“That was incredible!” Rarity hugged Aria tight. “And those wings! That hair! You defeated that dreadful monster and did it looking absolutely fabulous!”

“I’m so proud of you,” Fluttershy whispered into Sonata’s neck. “I was so...scared…”

“What, you thought I was going to die before we went on our picnic? Never!”

Adagio felt a hand on her shoulder.

“That was amazing,” Sunset said. She looked down at her shoes. “You were amazing.”

“I couldn’t have done it without your help,” Adagio murmured, taking Sunset’s hand in hers. “Listen...about what happened earlier…”

“Let’s not talk about that now,” Sunset interjected. “Let’s…celebrate.”

Adagio pulled her into a gentle embrace. “Thank you.”

A groan pierced the happy reunions.

“What the fuck,” Rainbow moaned. “Did...did I just miss the whole fight? Help me!”

Adagio giggled and broke the chains with a dash of magic.

“What are we gonna do about the kids?” Aria asked, gesturing towards the audience.

“We’ve got a few more songs in us,” Pinkie offered.

“What do you say girls?” Adagio said. “Shall we give the crowd what they want?”

Author's Note:

Well, this sure didn't take 10 years to write.