• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 2,813 Views, 112 Comments

Sweet Atonement - mouch30



Adagio always thought she knew what was best for her sisters, but with Aria missing and Sonata not understanding why, she must swallow her pride and turn to the one person who'd be willing to help her.

  • ...
10
 112
 2,813

Chapter 3

Adagio was thankful that her hair was safely secured in a tight braid - if she had shown up with her infamous curls flying free, she would have drawn too much attention to herself.

She watched the students trickle out of the school doors, laughing and calling to their friends. Her eyes scanned the crowds, searching for a particular person. Through the throng of teenagers, she finally spotted her.

Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset was in the midst of a large group, consisting of those annoying magical girls that had defeated Adagio and her sisters not long ago. They were all smiling, having fun, tucked away in their own little happy bubbles. They had no idea what they had done, how they ruined the fragile relationship between the sisters, the damage they dealt to their health and well-being.

Adagio inhaled deeply, trying to keep her anger under control. It was no use getting so emotional; those girls were only trying to save their school, and if she needed their help, she had to act civil.

“I’ve gotta dash. Will I see you girls later?”

Adagio’s ears perked up when Sunset spoke.

“Of course, darling! We’ll meet you at the Sugar Cube Corner in a few,” replied the purple haired girl….what was her name? Whatever.

“Okay! Bye!” Sunset waved at her friends and walked the opposite direction, the traces of a content smile still lingering on her face.

Now was her chance. Adagio pulled on the strings of her hoodie, concealing her face even further, and started to follow Sunset. She kept a comfortable distance from her, which worked as Sunset still had no idea she was being followed.

“What do you want?” Sunset suddenly snapped, whipping around to stare at her stalker. “You’ve been following me since I left school.”

“How did you know?” Adagio couldn’t help herself from asking.

“You’re not that hard to spot,” Sunset said, gesturing to Adagio’s all black ensemble. “Plus you were breathing really heavily.” Something about the girl in front of her seemed familiar.

“Oh,” Adagio muttered. She had been thinking about how much she hated those six girls that destroyed everything she lived for. Guess anger made her breathe heavily.

“So?” Sunset raised an eyebrow and leaned against the wall of a nearby building. “Who are you and what do you want?”

Adagio readied herself for the reveal. The hood slid off her head.

Sunset gasped, recoiling from her surprise. She quickly recovered, though, and adopted a much more threatening posture. “Adagio Dazzle. Should have recognized your voice. Here for a rematch?”

“Well, it wouldn’t exactly be a rematch since I don’t have my fucking magic,” retorted Adagio, letting her anger seep out a little. She composed herself. “Sorry...I’m not here to fight.”

“Oh? Then why are you here?”

Adagio’s eyes darted around. Her little outburst had attracted a few spectators. “Is there...somewhere more private we can talk?”

Sunset regarded the siren with steely eyes. “Where are the others?”

“Obviously not here.” Adagio spread her arms out. “I’m not hiding them in my hair, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Fine….we can go to my house. It’s just two more blocks from here.” She waited for Adagio to stand next to her before leading the way to her flat. The walk was silent, with both girls stealing quick glances at one another.

Sunset opened the door to her apartment. Charisma, a steady job, and the help of her friends allowed her to live in a comfortable 2-bedroom flat. Sure, it was decorated with secondhand furniture, but Rarity had given her cheerful pillows and curtains (“My own design,” she simpered as she hung the curtains.) and the whole place smelled like the inside of a bakery, thanks to Pinkie Pie and Applejack’s generous donations to her pantry. Fresh flowers were arranged artfully in clay vases, courtesy of Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash insisted on buying her a new guitar as well, (“Custom made, of course,” Rainbow had bragged, gesturing to the flame motifs and sharp edges.), which was placed neatly next to her amps and music sheets.

“Well, we’re here,” Sunset sighed, dropping her backpack to the floor. She moved around the kitchen cautiously, never turning her back to Adagio. “Do you want anything to eat...drink? Can you even consume solid food?”

“We can,” Adagio answered, hands in her pockets. She just stood there, rather awkwardly. “And no, I don’t want anything. Thanks.”

“You can sit down, if you want. Put your bag down as well. Looks heavy.” Sunset was placing a couple of pizza slices in the microwave.

Adagio delicately slid into the kitchen chair and removed her backpack. Sunset joined her, and began to eat the slices. “So, what’s up?”

This was it. This was the big moment.

“After that final show,” Adagio began. “You and your friends broke our pendants. Those pendants were actually a way to absorb the negative energy, which is basically our main source of food. But, now that they’re gone, we have no way of getting any nourishment, and we’re most likely going to die.”

Sunset finished her slice. “Oh. Uh, wow. Sorry.”

Bang!

“Sorry isn’t going to save Sonata!” Adagio yelled, her arms splayed on the table. Her face was mere inches from Sunset’s. The other girl flinched.

“Alright, just calm down,” Sunset said, gently pushing Adagio back into her seat. “I really am sorry that we broke your pendants, but you know we couldn’t have just let you go. You’re sirens, and you’re just going to keep spreading hate and negative feelings in this world. I can’t let you do that...but...what’s wrong with Sonata?”

Adagio rested her face in her palms. “She hasn’t been around as long as I have, so her powers aren’t as developed. I can survive for longer without energy, but she can’t. She’s...she’s getting weaker...and….I’m so…”

A heavy silence hung in the air, punctuated by Adagio’s sniffles. She swallowed, and wiped her eyes.

“I’m just so scared she’s going to die.”

“What about Aria? Is she okay?”

“I don’t know! She left us that night,” Adagio cried, her bottom lip quivering madly. Her eyes were continuously filling up, and she stopped trying to keep her tears in. “I’m so scared...she’s all alone, and Sonata’s just getting worse and worse….I’m going to be all alone soon...that’s why I’m here. I need your help. Trust me, I wouldn’t have come if I had another choice. I’m just so lost here.”

She lifted her head to stare at Sunset directly. Her enemy’s eyes were soft and wet.

Sunset reached over and placed her hand on Adagio’s. “Adagio...I’m so sorry,” she whispered. “I’ll do my best to help you, I promise. But I can’t let you wreak havoc on this world, or any other world.”

“I understand. That’s why…” Adagio heaved a book onto the table. “I have this.”

She had gone back to actually buy the damn book, much to the old woman’s glee. A piece of paper marked the infamous chapter, and she braced herself to look upon the illustration again.

“What is this?” Sunset asked, getting up to sit next to Adagio. She leaned in close to read the text, getting way too close for Adagio’s comfort.

“It’s my origin story,” Adagio said, deadpanned.

Sunset’s lips moved slightly as she read. Her eyes grew wide at the mention of the Maestro, and her mouth formed a small ‘o’ of fear when the drawing ever so slightly turned to look at her. She caressed the pages, no doubt feeling the soft hum of magic woven in the book.

“Where did you get this?” she breathed.

“Some old lady was selling it in her book store,” Adagio replied.

“We’re gonna have to go back,” Sunset said, excitement creeping into her voice. “Tell me...do you remember any of this? How do you know it’s you?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Adagio snapped. “Three sisters, feeding off negative energy, banished into a strange world?” Her tone of voice softened. “And...I do remember...snippets. All my memories are blurring together.” She began to rub her temples. “I feel like I’m trying to grab thin air. It could be just me growing weak, since, you know, I haven’t fed since that day.”

Sunset rubbed her chin, and reread the passage. “Well, it says here that sirens used to feed on positive energy. Have you ever tried that?”

“We can’t exactly absorb the energy without our pendants.” Adagio was getting increasingly annoyed. “Remember? You broke them?”

“Okay...I can always write to Twilight and ask her if she knows anything else about this,” Sunset offered, standing up to get her own enchanted book.

“Would she help?” Adagio asked worryingly, biting her lip.

“Adagio, she helped me when I threatened to kill her.” She chuckled, as if the memory of her brief brush with unimaginable power and her lust to destroy the world was an amusing anecdote. “I’m sure she’s going to help.”

Sunset sat back down and began to pen a letter. “Dear Twilight,” she read aloud as she wrote. “I was recently found by Adagio of the Dazzlings. Remember them? The sirens? Well, she brought me this book that’s got traces of strange magic. I can’t tell what kind, but it’s there. When I find out I’ll tell you. For now, could you search for any information about the Maestro? Apparently she’s the first siren to use negative energy as her source of power. Thanks.”

“Did she reply?”

“Adagio, I literally just finished this sentence.”

“When is she going to reply?”

“She’s a princess, okay? She’s got other things to deal with. She’ll reply when she can.”

Adagio threw her hands into the air. “Great. Guess we’ll just wither away into nothing until the princess can find time in her busy schedule to fix the lives she destroyed.”

“Don’t be so salty,” Sunset sighed.

Adagio’s eyes narrowed. “What?”

“Are you sure you’re not hungry?” Sunset nodded at the slice of pizza left.

It stared at her, grease shining in the light. “I’ll try a bite,” Adagio mumbled.

The two girls sat in silence.

“Adagio,” Sunset started to say. “How’s your situation at home?”

She stopped eating. “What do you mean?”

“Like, do you and Sonata need any money? Food? A place to stay?”

Adagio’s eyes flashed. “We’re not helpless. We don’t need your charity.”

Sunset looked down and tapped the table with her fingers. “I’m just trying to help.”

“I have a job,” Adagio said, calming down once more. “I work as a bartender. Thanks, though.”

Suddenly, metallic beeps broke through the tense atmosphere. Sunset rushed to get her phone out of her bag and answered. “Hello? Oh! Guess I lost track of time…” She turned her head to look at the girl sitting at her table. “I’m gonna have to take a raincheck. Something came up. Yeah, I’ll tell you all about it. Thanks. Bye.”

“You’re going to tell them about us?” Adagio asked, eyes cast downwards. “How broken we’ve become? How we’re pleading to the very ones who sought to destroy us?”

“Okay, can you stop? Seriously, you’re just droning on and on about how we ruined you. What other choice did we have?”

Adagio pouted and crossed her arms. “You could have just let us win.”

“How do you expect me to help you when all you do is yell and blame us for your terrible life? You didn’t even apologize for trying to brainwash everyone. You just want my help to get your pendants back or whatever to spread more negative feelings! Why should I help you?” Sunset’s breath was ragged with emotion. Really, the nerve of this...this monster.

The siren sat there, a dumbfounded look on her face. “I-I...I’m sorry,” she barely murmured, her once powerful voice now a weak whimper. “I’m sorry that we tried to take over the world, I’m sorry that we’re evil...but...we don’t know how to be anything else.”

Sunset immediately regretted her outburst. “I’m sorry too,” she said. She tilted her head back and let out a loud groan. “Fuck,” she said at the end. She closed her eyes. “The Maestro forged your pendants, right?”

Adagio nodded.

“Adagio, use your words because my eyes are closed.”

“Yes, she did.”

“But the other sirens didn’t have pendants. So maybe those stones you have just absorbed negative energy. Maybe you don’t need pendants for positive energy.”

Adagio pondered on that. “Maybe,” she repeated. “But...we can’t even sing properly anymore.”

“You just need to find a reason to sing,” Sunset said, resuming a normal sitting position. “You and Sonata can come over to CHS and practice, if you want.”

Adagio twiddled her thumbs. “I don’t understand why you’re being so nice to me,” she whispered. “You could have just kicked me out when you were yelling. Why? Why did you decide to help me?”

She felt pressure of a comforting hand on her shoulder. Sunset was standing above her, pulling her up from the chair and into her arms.

“Because I understand,” Sunset murmured, squeezing Adagio tight. “I know what it’s like to feel like you’re all alone. But Twilight helped me see the light, and it’s my turn to help you.”

She held the sobbing girl for a while, stroking her hair and offering words of comfort.

When the waterworks were over, Sunset helped Adagio remove her constricting braid. “You’ve got such nice hair,” Sunset admired, fluffling up the curls.

“Thanks,” Adagio said, grateful for the relief. Sonata meant well, but really didn’t know how to braid properly.

“So, I was thinking. I want to see you and Sonata at least every other day, just so I can check up on you. If Sonata is as weak as you say, maybe she could stay here with me? I’ve got a TV so she won’t be bored.”

“She’d like that.” Adagio frowned. “But I haven’t told her I was coming to see you.”

“You should have. Communication is the most important thing between sisters and friends,” Sunset gently scolded. “You should go back to her and tell her what’s going on.”

“Okay,” Adagio agreed, and stood up. “Sunset.”

“Adagio.”

“Thank you for hearing me out...and helping me. I really appreciate it, and so will Sonata.”

“No prob, Bob.” Sunset smiled. “Need help getting home?”

Adagio shook her head, curls swaying madly. “Thanks. I can handle it. I need some time alone anyways.”

She turned the doorknob.

“Wait! Adagio, wait a minute….here.”

Sunset stood next to her, a coloring book in her hand. “Pinkie gives me one, like, every day. Take it for Sonata.”

Adagio chuckled. “Thanks. When will I see you again?”

Sunset thought for a minute. “Come over for brunch tomorrow. Bring Sonata. Trust me.”

“I will.”