• Published 18th Sep 2015
  • 893 Views, 7 Comments

Sonata’s Song - Milliardo5



A slice of life short fic that follows up on the previous one done, showing Sonata as she settles down with the group

  • ...
2
 7
 893

III. A New Song

They had been practicing daily, spending an hour in the music room before heading home. On Fridays though Rainbow Dash stayed behind for another hour for soccer practice. Most of the time they would go home together.

That afternoon they had played two songs, and were taking a break when Applejack spoke up.

“You know, I’m wondering what happened to Adagio”, she said. The others looked at her. “I haven’t seen her since the time Sunset faced her.” Sunset frowned. She did wonder where she went off to. They had seen Aria and Crescenda every now and then, but there had been no sign of Adagio.

“It is strange”, she reflected. “Aria wouldn’t be without her, so this is unusual.”

“Especially since it’s been weeks since that happened”, Rainbow Dash added. Sonata was also worried, but she didn’t say anything just yet.


On the way home, Sunset and Sonata walked quietly. Sunset noticed she was unusually quiet.
“You’re worried about her”, she observed. Sonata nodded.

“I tried texting Aria, but she’s not giving a reply”, she sadly stated.

“Hhmm…that is troubling”, Sunset said, quite concerned. “But I hope that she is all right somewhere”, she added, trying to cheer Sonata up. Sonata smiled a bit.

“Thanks for saying that”, she said, grateful for what Sunset had done for her.

“We’re friends, whatever your concern is would be our concern”, she said to Sonata.




That night, before going to bed, Sunset decided to check on Sonata. She saw her in her room, watching something on her smart phone. She recognized the song.

“That’s what you sang with them on the audition”, she said by the door, and Sonata was a bit startled. But she recovered and nodded.
“I couldn’t believe that we were so bad”, she said.

“I know the feeling”, Sunset said. “It takes time before you totally get it out of yourself”, she said as she went in the room and sat on the bed.
“I didn’t realize I was doing something wrong then”, remarked Sonata.

“We usually don’t, until others get hurt”, Sunset replied.

‘I just thought we were having fun”, Sonata continued on.

“But it’s not fun when other people get hurt”, Sunset said gently. Sonata looked at her.

“I’m glad you’re here, all of you, to help me out”, she said.

“It’s not going to be easy”, Sunset said. “It was just as hard for me, but with friends things somehow become easier.” She smiled at Sonata. She smiled back, took one look at the video, then began to delete it. Sunset was puzzled why she did that.

“You keep saying to me”, Sonata said, “to move forward, and I’m moving forward.” Sunset smiled at what she said.
“We have a long day tomorrow”, was all she replied. “And it’s taco Tuesday, you’re favorite day!”




Afternoon, after classes, they were back in the music room. They’ve decided to do one or two songs before heading home. As they rehearsed, two figures outside the room were listening. Even though the door was closed, they could hear the music quite well, since it was quite loud, even though it was muffled.

“They’re good”, one of them said.

“And they seem to be having fun”, the other replied.

Inside, they were just finishing up on the last song.

“Well, I’m going on out to get something”, Applejack said as they took a break. The two figures were still at the door when she opened it. The two were taken by surprise and weren’t able to get out of the way before it opened, causing them to be knocked down as the door swung out.
“What are you two doing here?” Applejack declared. The others inside heard her and went to look. There sprawled were Aria and Crescenda. Sonata saw them. She went past Applejack and went to where Aria was. She bent down and slowly stretched out her hand to her. Aria looked up. At first she looked at Sonata in anger, but that changed slowly, and to everyone’s surprise she took her hand. Sonata helped her up.

“Are you okay?” she asked Aria. Sunset came over to them. Aria was still patting her head, as she tried to get back to her feet.

“I think it’s better if we get back inside”, Sunset said as she invited the two over. They were all silent as Aria and Crescenda went in.

“So why are you two sneaking up like that?” Applejack finally broke the silence.

“We just need to talk to you—about Adagio”, Aria said as she sat on a chair.

“Why, what happened to her?” Sonata asked with concern.

“After you confronted her, she went back to our quarters”, related Aria. “We followed her, but when we got to the place we were terrified by what we heard.”

“She was all different”, Crescenda joined in, “as if she’s gone crazy.”

“We ran away when we heard her like that”, continued Aria, “but decided to check up on her early in the morning, but she was gone by then.”

“And you haven’t heard from her, ever since”, Sunset concluded. They both nodded.

“Why didn’t you tell us in the first place?” Rarity asked.

“Because we didn’t know how to”, Aria said. Sonata then spoke up.

“They’ve been good to me”, she attested. “Please join us.” Aria looked at her, then at the others. Then she shook her head.

“We can’t join you”, she said to them. “We’d be better off on our own. But”, she said, pausing, “maybe we can be friends?” She looked to them.

They were silent for a moment before Sunset spoke up.

“Agreed”, she said as she went over to shake her hand. The others cheered as well, and Sonata and Aria hugged. When they parted, Aria looked at her.

“Why don’t you join us? We could go look for Adagio”, she said to her. Sonata stopped, considered, and looked around. At the people around her. Her friends. And at Pinkie, whom she now considered her sister. She then looked back at Aria…and shook her head.

“Thanks, but I have my family here”, she said. “It’s what I’ve always wanted, where I belong.” Aria considered as well, then just smiled as she shook her head.

“You were always the ‘dim’ one”, she said, “but I don’t blame you. You seem more happy here now.” She finally said to them that they’ll take their leave, and everyone said their farewell to the two.


On the way home, Sunset saw Sonata had more spring in her step. She looked happy. It was as if life had gone back in her. She knew that she had gone a long way, and also she hoped that Aria and Crescenda would take that same journey she took.

Comments ( 6 )

Hey there. Sorry I wasn't able to see this sooner. An old dear friend on this site has declared suicide, and he's been offline for hours. Everyone who knew and followed him are pretty upset over this, and I needed some time to clear my head. Anyway, onto the review.

It's nice that Aria and Creshenda are finally coming around. And it's true, Sonata has a new family now, and for once, she's not considered the dim one, but the bright one. :pinkiehappy:

6440144 That is terrible--I mean about that friend of yours. I hope that he has not done it.

That was rushed. But still good chapter.
I wonder if Adagio goes bananas.

6441438 A bit rushed, but basically I would focus on a major story arc for Adagio; the ones here for Sonata are merely a bridge, sort of an explanation of how she fits in with the Rainbooms, so essentially the stories here work more like the EqG shorts, in that they bridge between the main story arcs.

6441486
Clever. 20% Clever as Rainbow would say.

I will just post my own comment here--first of all I will keep its status as Incomplete, though more or less it is complete now as it is. Why Incomplete though? For one the stories here are like the shorts for Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games--they serve to tell small stories about a character ( in the case, Sonata), and so I might later on add another story or two about her. They're all basically short stories, so they'll feel a little bit disjointed, but there will still be some semblance of a story arc even within the stories. No, they don't make up for the whole story arc of my fanfics, but they are related to it, and some portions here will have some bearing on the main story arc (especially on the Dazzlings' search for Adagio), but overall they can be seen as stand-alone stories that, for all intents and purposes, have already dealt with how Sonata is now with the Rainbooms.

Login or register to comment