• Published 13th Jan 2017
  • 3,723 Views, 334 Comments

Comet The Colt of Steel - Stallion of Steel



Rocketed to Equis from the dying planet Kolton a young foal is taken in by the Apples. As he grows to maturity he discovers he has powers far beyond those of mortal ponies. Join him as he learns what he is and what it truly means to be a hero.

  • ...
12
 334
 3,723

PreviousChapters Next
Green Fever

Author's Note:

So this chapter took a really really long to write, but it was one I really enjoyed doing. Part of it was due to my job. Since I work at a supermarket, I'm considered an essential worker. Thanks to the Pandemic, our store been busting out safety precautions left and right. We have to sanitize shopping carts, service counters, registers, and shelves. All while wearing masks and rubber gloves. So it's been a busy time and I haven't been able to focus entirely on my writing like before. It might be a while before I begin the next chapter or continue Little Filly Lost, but rest assured I am working on them when I can.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter, again sorry it took so long. But as they say better late than never.

Rescue, it's something many of us read or hear about, but not something we often apply to our daily lives. Most of us grow up reading stories where the gallant knight rescues the fair princess or of the gallant heroine who defies danger to save her true love. But true rescue isn't some glorified fantasy where the hero or heroine is handsomely rewarded. It is a reminder that everyone needs help from time to time and of the potential for good inside all of us. This is a story of a time when I was reminded of this. A time when I faced the reality that I was not invincible.

It was a typical Ponyville afternoon. I was at the library, enjoying some quality reading time.

"Hey, Apple Comet," I looked up from my book to see Spike walking out of the kitchen carrying a plate of gemstones. With his cheeks full of chewed-up minerals, he asked me. "What are you reading about?"

"Meteorites," I answered simply. The young drake swallowed his food and selected another gem from the plate.

"Meteorites huh?" He said biting the stone in half. "Anything interesting."

"Actually yes, I was just reading about this meteorite they recently found in the South Equestrian Desert." Tossing the rest of the gem in, Spike walked over and peered over my shoulder. The picture showed several scientists standing around a fairly large obsidian rock about the size of a buckball that was covered in protruding green crystals. "According to Professor Emil Haflinger, it's composed mostly of iron ore as well as an unknown luminous mineral element never before discovered."

"Do you think it's edible?" Spike asked as popped another clawful of gems in his mouth. I raised an eyebrow in disbelief at that question. "What? I'm just asking." He. threw his claws up, and shrugged his shoulders. He was thinking with his stomach today.

"I don't think the Equestrian scientific community would think very highly of you eating such an important mineral discovery Spike," I answered rolling my eyes.

"You know you sound like Twilight when you talk like that." I didn't know whether to take that as a joke or a compliment.

"Is that so?" We both turned around to see Twilight and Rarity standing in the doorway. The librarian wore a stern look of displeasure on her face and her tone was one of disapproval.

"Twilight!" Immediately Spike rushed over and began desperately trying to explain his way out of it. "I-I didn't see you come in. Hi Rarity, I-I was joking Twi honest, you know I think you're smart and talented and brilliant and..." He stopped when Twilight placed her hoof over his mouth.

"Spike?" She hissed leaning in close, eyes glaring with anger. "Gotcha," A smile spread across her face as she pulled him in close for a hug. Rarity chuckled as he wrapped his arms around her neck.

"Funny, I was gonna say funny before you stopped me," He said as Twilight released him.

"Spike," Rarity began, "How would you like to help me with a very special order?" The dragon's eyes lit up like freshly cut emeralds.

"Y-You...w-want my...help?" His tail was wagging back and forth like a scaly dog's.

"I think he's saying he'll do it," I said.


A short time later, we arrived at Rambling Rock Ridge. Rarity had led the way, her shimmering horn guiding her as she held her head out in front. Spike followed behind pulling his red wagon. And I had been given the envious honor of cataloging and categorizing said gems as well as carrying Rarity's sketchpad and art supplies in my saddlebag in case inspiration struck.

"Oh my gosh! Sapphire Shores! The Pony of Pop! She is awesome! I mean, she's gorgeous and talented and," Spike paused his praise for Sapphire Shores. "Heh...and not even half the pony you are. I mean you're ten times more gorgeous and talented,"

"Spike, a lady is never jealous." Rarity assured him.

"Eh, of course not. But were you totally flipping out or what?"

"Ladies do not 'flip out' Spike," She said with confidence. "However I was quite, in awe."

While I didn't get the appeal of pop music, I could somewhat relate to Rarity's 'awe' as she put it. After all, I still had my autographed copy of Astrophysics for Ponies in a Hurry proudly displayed on my bookshelf. "Oh," Rarity looked up as her horn lit up once more. Like metal, to a magnet, it began pulling her toward a nearby gem deposit. "Aha,"

"Did you find some?" Spike asked jumping with excitement.

"Yes, right here," Rarity pointed at the patch of earth where the gemstones lay. Spike bounced on his heels and began digging frantically. His pupils shrank as soon as he laid eyes on them.

"Ooo you look so delicious," He said licking his salivating lips. However before he could stuff his cheeks like a scaly squirrel, Rarity stepped in.

"Spike! I promised I'd give you some gems to snack on, but we need to collect more first or I'll never be able to make these outfits for Sapphire."

"Besides, didn't you eat a whole plate of gems at Twilight's?" I reminded him.

With a sigh, Spike stepped out of the hole and carried the gems over to the wagon. "I'll miss you, my sweets."

"Come along Spike," Rarity said with a wave of her mane. "We have many jewels to find."

Spike took a bow and said: "At your service milady," Shrugging my shoulders, I slung off my saddlebags and took out a notepad and pencil as well as the junior gemologist's field guide I'd checked out from the library.

For the next hour and a half, the work continued. Rarity's gem-finding spell almost put my X-ray vision to shame. Watching her magic drift out from her horn and hone in the next deposit was a sight to see. To this point, I silently challenged her to find every deposit I saw. She didn't miss one. Spike meanwhile ever willing to impress her, dug up claw after claw of gemstones. Of course, he did try to sneak some past us a couple of times. But a quick glare or "ahem" from Rarity or myself was enough to 'persuade' him. By mid-afternoon, the wagon was filled with gems to the point it was in danger of overflowing.

"I think we're just about done Rarity," I said hoofing my notepad to her review.

"Hmm...Outstanding work Apple Comet," She said flipping through the pages. "I can why your grades are at the top of the class."

"Hey, what about me?" Spike groaned. "I did all the work here, and on an empty stomach I might add."

"Well it sounds like you burned off all the gems you ate at Twilight's," I said with a laugh. The dragon narrowed his gaze at me, arching his shoulders.

"You've been very patient today Spike." Rarity praised him petting his scaly crest with her hoof. "And for that, you get the finest reward." She reached into the pile with her magic and pulled out a brilliant hexagon sapphire. Spike opened wide and stuck out his tongue like a chameleon at a passing fly. Then for whatever reason, he closed it, letting the gem fall into his claws.

"Is something wrong?" Rarity asked him. At that moment, my ears picked up the sound of something rustling in the distant bushes.

"No it's perfect," Spike said as Rarity's lit up once more. However, instead of its usual light blue, it was luminous green.

"Hmm that's strange," She said noticing the color change. "My gem-finding spell has never done this before. Whoaaa!" Like a fish on a hook Rarity's magic reeled her in. "Boys, bring the cart, there's moreover here!" Spike and I shrugged our shoulders and followed.


"Yesss, gemsss. gemsss!"

"Where?"

"Precioussss gemsss! He is the gem hunter. With him, we can have all those gems...and more!"

"What about the other one?"

"He is just a pup, he is of no use to usss."

"Quiet you fool, he is looking this way."

"Don't be ssstupid he cannot see us from there,"


"What are you looking at?" Spike asked me.

"I thought I saw those bushes over there move. Probably just an animal or something." I said not wanting to give our watchers the hint that I was on to them.

"Spike, Apple Comet! Where are you?" Rarity called over to both of us. "You know it's terrible to keep a lady waiting."

"Come on let's go!" Spike said as he grabbed me by the hoof and pulled me along. As soon as we caught up with Rarity, he proceeded to start digging in the spot she marked.

"I think we're really going to strike gold this time. So to speak," Rarity said to me with excitement as Spike burrowed through the layers of dirt. Whatever it was, I just wanted to get it and get out of there before our 'friends' in the brush got any more bright ideas.

"No way! You guys have got to see this?" Spike cried with excitement. Rarity and I looked into the pit just as Spike pulled out a familiar glowing green ore.

"Hmm, I've never seen a gem like this before," Rarity said curiously as she levitated it in her magic.

"Apple Comet found it in a book he was reading at the library. Right Apple Comet? Apple Comet? Hey, are you ok? you don't look so good." All of a sudden, I felt hot and short of breath. My heart was beating faster and every muscle in my body felt like it was on fire.

"I...It...hurts," I winced as I realized the sensation I was feeling was pain. I'd never been hurt or sick before in my entire life. Never been physically exhausted. And suddenly I felt as weak as a kitten. My knees buckled as I collapsed onto my side. Rarity let out a shriek as she rushed over to me.

"Sweet Celestia! He's burning up!" She exclaimed as she felt my forehead. Spike, help me get him...mfffph!" Before Rarity could finish, a huge grey paw reached out from the bushes and grabbed her by the muzzle.

"Rarity!" Spike cried out as the assailant stepped out from the bushes revealing itself to be a grey bipedal canine wearing a black studded collar and a red vest.

"Got you now!" It said in a low nasally voice. Its sickening grin revealed rows of sickly yellow sharp teeth. Rarity's face went frozen in sheer terror as the creature gazed at her with its sickly green eyes. "Now you hunt gems for us."

WHACK! Out of nowhere, the green rock struck him in the jaw. The dog yelped in pain releasing Rarity from his grip as he clutched the side of his face.

"Leave her alone!" Spike stepped in front of me as Rarity ran to my side. The dog stared at him, one eye swollen shut. The side of his jaw was swollen and bruised. He snarled in rage as he looked at us.

"GRRRRR...GET THEM!" He howled pointing at us. Suddenly two more dogs burst out from the ground behind us. The smaller one pounced on Spike pinning his arms back while the larger one grabbed Rarity by the barrel with one big meaty paw.

"AAAAIIIIEEEEE!" Unhand us this instant you ruffians! You brutes! You...you,"

"Diamond Dogsss!" The first one lisped through his swollen jaw. "And we will not let you go. You and the scaly one will hunt gemsss for us. He reached down and grabbed me by the neck lifting me into the air. "That is if you don't wish anything to happen to this little one." His fingers tightened around my throat slowly choking off the air to my lungs. My vision began to blur as it became harder and harder to stay awake.

"Stop, please! You're hurting him!" Rarity pleaded. "I'll...I'll...I'll do it, just, please let him go!"

"As you wish," He released his grip dropping me to the ground. I rolled onto my side gasping for air. My body still felt like it was on fire. "Fido, Spot take these prisoners down to the mines."

"What about him Rover?" Spot asked pointing to me. Rover looked down with a devilish grin.

"This one is too sick to work," His voice distorted as my vision faded to black. "Take him to the dungeons."


"Kom-El? Wake up Kom-El." The darkness retreated to the edges of my vision as I opened my eyes to be greeted by the faces of Jav-El and Loran.

"It is so nice to see you again," My birth mother said setting a glass on the table in front of her.

"Yes, we really should spend time together more often." Said, my father.

"Mom, Dad?" I was back inside the living room of my parents' house on Kolton. "But how? I left the memory crystal with Kerax."

"You are dreaming my son," Jav-El explained. "You fell unconscious and are merely projecting your memories of us onto your subconscious."

I suddenly remembered blacking out. "My entire body felt like it was on fire. I couldn't move, I thought I was going to die."

Loran reached over and embraced me in her forelegs. "It's okay now dear, just breathe. You need to rest and recover your strength."

"Do you have any idea what might've caused your symptoms?" Jav-El asked.

"Well," I explained. "I was feeling fine until my friend Spike showed me this green mineral he found." My father's face went white with shock. "Great Rao," He whispered in silent terror. Loran looked worrying at him, clutching me tighter as if I might float away if she let go.

"Jav-El, do you think it's possible?"

"It might be, Loran," He said with grim resignation. "Kom-El, tell me, was the mineral inside a meteorite? Was it glowing?"

"It was but what does have to do with anything?" I answered. Jav-El closed his eyes and held out a small circular object in his hoof.

"Do you remember the night you first activated the memory crystal and I revealed to you what happened to our world?" From the device, a tiny construct of Kolton appeared glowing bright green. Suddenly everything clicked.

"Are you saying it might've come from Kolton?"

"I cannot say for sure at this time," Jav-El said as the planet in his hoof exploded. "This is only a dream state. We know no more than you about it. The most likely place you'll find answers is inside your memory crystal."

"The crystal was damaged a few months back," I told him. "Kerax has been trying to repair it."

"Did you call me young master?" The golden automaton materialized in front of me. "Do you require my services?"

"I'm fine Kerax," I said. "I was just talking to my subconscious parents here." I couldn't help but laugh a little as I gestured to them.

"Very well Sir, I'll be here if you need me." With a nod of his golden head, my robot butler vanished.

"Well, this is certainly a troubling development." Jav-El concurred. "How long did Kerax estimate it would take to repair?

"Approximately five hundred and seventy Equus days total," I said. "At last count, it was down to four hundred and ten."

"I see, well in the meantime, you should rest." He suggested. Whatever this substance is, it seems to interfere with your body's ability to absorb solar energy along with contaminating what you've already stored up. You'll likely be weaker than usual when you wake up."

"Weaker huh?" I said looking down at my hoof. "Guess I finally get to see what that's like. So how long till I'm back to my full strength?

"A few hours at least," was my father's diagnosis. "You lost a lot of your reserves.

"So be careful, for Spike and Rarity's sake," Loran said.


"You! Small pony! Wake up! Wake up!" I awoke to the feeling of a sharp object jabbing against my stomach.

"Ow! Hey, cut it out!" I protested. My entire body felt sore all over as if all the running I'd done in my life had finally caught up to me.

"Get up!" I opened my eyes to the sight of a large brown diamond dog clad in a metal chest plate and helmet prodding me with a diamond-tipped spear.

"Alright, already," Ignoring the aching sensation in my legs, I forced myself into a sitting position. Kidnapping notwithstanding, I supposed my accommodations could've been worse. I mean at least I had a bed/ bench made of hardwood to sleep on. And a rusty soiled bucket in the corner that I hoped wasn't used for what I thought it was.

"Hey!" Without warning my jailor, I assumed due to the ring of keys he wore around his waist pinned me down on the bed by my forelegs as a second guard stepped out from behind carrying an iron collar and chain. Realizing what was about to happen, I tried to push him off. But it was no use. With my energy depleted I wasn't even as strong as an earth pony colt. I could only look up as my guards fitted the heavy collar around my neck.

"Get your stinking paws off me you dumb dirty dogs!" I shouted in vain as the padlock closed in the hole.

"Silence!" The one holding the chain screeched as the jailer released me. "You come with us," With a tug of the chain he pulled me off the bed. I spread my legs out in an attempt to land on my feet, only for my muscles to cry out in soreness sending me sprawling to the floor like a newborn foal. "Get up!" I thought about offering some suggestions for which to improve his bedside manner. But realized that it would likely fly in one ear and get trapped in a pile of earwax. So with great reluctance from my muscles, I did as I was told.


It felt strange walking down the many winding tunnels the Diamond Dogs called home. I couldn't see through the walls and my hearing was noticeably less sharp. The iron collar clamped around my neck weighed it down forcing me to walk with my head hung low.

"So where exactly are you taking me?" I asked hesitantly after a while. The guard holding my chain glared down at me and snorted.

"Big pony and scaly one say they not work until they see you okay." His friend said. "We take you to them, show them you okay."

"And you plan to show them I'm okay by making me wear this?" I asked tugging at my collar. Apparently, the big one didn't understand the concept of sarcasm because he jerked my chain forward. "Ow! Hey!"

"Small pony talk less, walk more." He grunted.

As much as I hated to admit it, I didn't see much of a way out of this for me. These caverns were as dark as a dungeon. The only light to be seen came from the lanterns hung along the walls. Without a source of sunlight, I wasn't escaping from here any time soon.


Eventually, after what seemed like an eternity of walking through endless tunnels, we arrived at a metal barred door. As the guard dog in front thumbed through the many keys on his keyring, I leaned my head over to see what lay beyond. Noticing what I was doing, the other one pulled me back and growled at me." With a click, the key turned in the lock and the first guard dog pushed the door open.

"Rover, we bring the other pony like you said." The alpha dog turned around looking almost relieved for some reason.

"Ah, finally!" He said with a hint of exhaustion."Bring him here," The guards did as instructed half dragging and half yanking me along as he brought me over to his boss.

"Apple Comet! Spike gasped as they brought me in.

"Oh, thank Celestia!" Rarity cried with relief. "You have no idea how worried we both were." The guard handed my 'leash' over to Rover.

"We bring you your ssson as promised," He said to Rarity."Now you find us gemsss,"

"Wait what?" I didn't have time to process what was happening before Rarity galloped over and wrapped me in her embrace.

"Oh, Apple Comet, my sweet baby boy!" She exclaimed dramatically as she nuzzled my neck with her snout. "I was worried I wasn't ever going to see you again." She felt my forehead. "Your fever seems down, are you feeling better?" She looked down and noticed the collar wrapped around my neck. "You mongrels! what have you done to him?"

"We bring him like you ask," Fido answered.

"I don't recall asking you to bring him to me in chains!" Rarity stomped her hoof down. "My son is not some slave to be driven along by the neck!"

"Diamond Dogs hold up our end of the deal!" Rover barked. "Pony and scaly one must honor theirs." Rarity to her credit did not flinch as the alpha dog leaned into her face. Her eyes remained focused sizing him up.

"I will not bring you one bauble until you take that hideous contraption off of his neck!" She hissed in a menacing whisper. Fido and Spot shrunk back in fear whimpering."

"What are you mice or dogs?" Rover roared at them.

"M-Maybe we s-should let him go R-Rover," Fido said trembling.

"Y-Yeah, I-I mean where's he gonna go?" Spot said with a nervous smile. Rover facepawed and shook his head.

"Hmph! Fine," he grumbled gesturing for the guards to come over. "Take it off him," The guards looked confused for a moment. Then the one with the keys shrugged his shoulders and unlocked my collar which fell to the ground with a satisfying clank.

"Ah, that's so much better!" I said as I raised my neck for the first time since I woke up in this place. It was still a little sore where the collar had rubbed against it, but at least I could move it.

"Yes, it is," Rarity cooed as she nuzzled a spot where the collar had left a mark.

"There, Pup is off the leash now get to work!" Rover ordered.

"I beg your pardon?" Rarity scowled. "Is that any way to ask for somepony's help?" The alpha turned to his lackeys.

"Fido, get the wagon, Spot bring the Pup's bag." The two boneheads nodded and ran off to get the items in question. "We bring you your son, let him off leash. Now you find us gemsss, scaly one dig, pup take notes!"

"I don't know if you were raised under a rock." Rarity said eloquently. "Although given this place, that wouldn't surprise me. But where we come from when we want help, we ask for it nicely."

Rover smiled a fanged grin as Fido and Spot returned with a worn-looking wagon and my saddlebags. "Where we come from, the pack takes what it wants." Fido held up the rusty harness that was attached to the front.

"If you think I'm pulling that cart with that filthy thing on my back you're sadly mistaken." Rarity scoffed. "I just had my coat cleaned."

"Either you pull or pup and scaly one pullsss." Rover pointed with a dirty jagged claw at me and Spike. Rarity looked back at us, tears welling in her eyes.

"Don't do it Rarity!" Spike pleaded. "I can pull it, honest!"

"No Spike," She said with a shake of her head. "I can't ask you to do that for me." She looked up at the Diamond Dogs who were smiling with glee. "I'll do it." With a sigh, she closed her eyes and turned around. Fido and Spot placed the harness on her barrel. Their worn filthy claws dug into Rarity's shiny coat causing her to wince in pain. Spike and I looked silently at each other. Both of us knew what the other was feeling. Guilt.


We toiled away the rest of the day, searching every cavern, every tunnel, every nook, and cranny. Rarity led the way, marking where every gem deposit was to be found. She never complained once, even as her coat and mane became damp with perspiration and the harness rubbed against her sides.

Spike was tasked with digging up the gems she found. By the end of the day, his scales and claws were caked with dirt. Even as his stomach growled he did his best to put on a brave face.

And I was responsible for keeping count of every rock that went into the cart. With every shaft we passed through, I looked up hoping desperately to see even a glimpse of sunlight. But to no avail.

By the day's end, we'd brought in ten cartfuls of gems. Much to our captor's delight.

"You work hard today Pony, bring us lotsss of gemsss." He said as he congratulated Rarity with a not-so-gentle pat on the back. She looked up at him mustering as best a smile as she could. "As reward, we invite you to join usss for dinner."

My stomach rumbled even though I was certain tonight's dish wouldn't agree with it.

"Well um, Rover," Rarity said bashfully. "We'd be delighted. And what pray to tell will we be dining on?"

"MEEEEEAAAAAAT!" All three of them answered loudly at the same time.

"And I thought my sister's friend's cheer was shrill."


To say dinner that night was uncouth would be an understatement. Disgusting would be a more appropriate term. As the pack devoured the carcass of some poor unfortunate creature, raw I might add, the three of us could not help but feel a little queasy. Thankfully our hosts were at least smart enough to remember that ponies were herbivores and had prepared for us cream of cave fungus soup. Which for those who are wondering, was just as unappetizing as it sounds. Needless to say, we did not eat well that evening.

After dinner, the three of us were led back down to the dungeon.

"You work hard today pony," Fido said to Rarity inserting one of the keys into the cell door. "Now it time to sleep, you need rest before you hunt more gemsss tomorrow.

"Umm Rover, if it's not too much to ask, could the three of us possibly share this cell?" Rarity asked looking up at him with pleading eyes. "I understand if it's asking a lot, it's just, my poor son and his friend have been through so much today." She held her hoof to her head as if about to faint. "I can't bear the thought of them having spent the night all alone in a cold dark cell. If you can find it in your heart to allow it, I'd be ever so..."

"Make her stop Rover!" Spot interrupted pulling at his ears in frustration. "Her melodrama is driving me crazy!"

"Okay okay, you three sleep together!" Rover threw up his paws in defeat. Rarity opened one eye and took her hoof off her forehead.

"Thank you, come on boys, it's time for bed. " She said simply before stepping into the cell with the grace and poise unbefitting of a prisoner. Spike and I looked at each other. Neither of us could think of anything to say, so we both shrugged our shoulders and followed her.

"Sleep tight prisoners," Fido said as he turned the key in the lock. "You have a busy day tomorrow." He handed the keys to a guard, then turned to leave with Rover and Spot.


Zzzz....zzzz...zzzz...zzzz...zzzz

I was awoken from the most uncomfortable sleep of my life by the sound of a dull rusted two-pony saw cutting through a Califoalnia redwood.

"Uhh...what is that dreadful noise?" Rarity mumbled stirring from her stiff position.

"Twilight...stop grinding your teeth," Spike whispered in his sleep.

Carefully leaning the side of my head up, I peered through the bars out of the corner of my eye. My muscles and joints cried out sorely as I pushed myself off of my side for a better look. Slumped against the left wall just outside our cell with his helmet over his eyes, our jailor was snoring loud enough to wake the dead. His ring of keys clinked with every rise and fall of his breath. Wait!

"Rarity, Rarity," I whispered with excitement as I shook her by the wither with my hoof.

"Mmm Apple Comet, what is it?" Her eyes squinted open as she looked up at me. Her normally stylish mane was flat and splayed out in different directions.

"Rarity, listen to me but keep your voice down," I told her. "The guard's fallen asleep with the keys on his belt. "Her eyes popped open as she looked up to see our captor. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" A confident grin spread across her face as she nodded her head.

"Spike, Spike?" She gently nudged him with her hoof.

"Mmm...I wanna get some parfait," He muttered in his sleep.

"Spike, wake up, we're leaving." The drake's eyes slowly slit open.

"Where are we going?" He asked mumbling.

"Don't ask questions Spikey, just hold onto me and keep your voice down." Rarity explained as she climbed off of the bench and levitated him onto her back.

"Mmm, okay," He said rubbing the sleep from his eyes before laying his head against her mane.

My aching muscles protested as I walked up to the cell door. Peering my head out, I checked to make sure the guard was alone.

"Is it safe?" Rarity asked.

"Coast is clear," I told her. "Do your stuff." Rarity smiled as she aimed her horn at the guard's keyring. With grace and poise, her aura gently lifted the ring off the guard dog's belt loop and carried it over to the cell door.

"Now which one did Fido use?" She whispered as she tried one of the keys on the ring. It didn't fit. "Not that one," She tried another, but no match. "Not that one either." The third however fit nicely into the lock. "Got it," With a satisfying click, the key turned and the door easily swung open.

"Nice work," I whispered as she removed the key from the door.

"When you've done as much sewing work as I have darling, you develop a delicate touch for it."

"You'll have to give me lessons sometime, Now come on let's go."

Carefully, we tiptoed past the sleeping guard and crept out the doorway and up the stairs which led us to the guard's barracks.

"Oh, boy," I whispered as I saw the floor was littered with dog beds filled with sleeping guard dogs. The floor was littered with pieces of discarded armor as well as assorted personal objects. The air was filled with the sounds of snoring and the smell of sleep farts.

"How do we get past here?" Rarity whispered. I carefully plotted a path from one end of the room to the other. Taking special care to memorize the locations of any objects that might make any noise.

"Follow me, watch your step, and do exactly as I do," I said taking my first tepid step. We would have to take it slow and steady. Rarity sighed and followed after me.

For two minutes and eleven seconds, we crept across the room passing so close to sleeping dogs that we could smell their rancid breath. Rarity's face scrunched up as one guard rolled over and breathed directly in her face. She winced trying desperately not to gag.

We were almost at the end when my worst fears were realized.

SQUEAK! I turned around in fright to see Rarity's right hind leg standing on a squeaky blue pony toy. Her face froze in fright as she slowly turned to the dog lying next to her hoof. His ears twitched as he reached his paw out toward her leg. Rarity shoved her hoof into her mouth to keep from screaming as he felt around for her. Finally, after several heart-stopping moments, he grabbed hold of the toy and pulled it from under her hoof.

SQUEAK! With lightning speed he pulled the toy closer to him. Rarity breathed a sigh of relief. Her coat glistened in a cold sweat as she wasted no time getting to the exit.


"That was a close call," I said once we were far away enough from the barracks. Luckily there weren't any more guard dogs nearby. For the moment we could catch our breath as we walked.

"I can feel my heart beating against my ribcage," Rarity said holding her hoof to her chest. "Still that was pretty impressive. How did you figure a way out like that?"

"Well, I've navigated my way through enough pig pens to know how to watch my step," I said. "How's Spike doing?"

Rarity looked at the sleeping dragon lying sprawled across her back. Her cheeks blushed as she smiled at him. "We should let him rest. Faust knows he's earned it. What about you?"

"Eh, I've felt better," I admitted. Rarity placed her hoof on my forehead to feel my temperature.

"Hmm, your fever hasn't returned, that's good. But I still think you should see a doctor once we're back in town. In the meantime try not to exert yourself too much darling."

"I'll try," I said


Third Pony POV.

Zzzz...zzz...zzz...zzz

Gus's chest rose and fell as he lay back peacefully slumbering. While most of the other dogs resented cell duty, it was. something he looked forward to as he was a light sleeper who found he got better night's rest in the jail than the barracks.

As his mind drifted deeper into his subconscious, something else drifted through his large intestine. The meat he had consumed ravenously at dinner was proving difficult to digest. The pressure in his gut began to build rapidly. His face grimaced with pain as he felt it race through his digestive tract until...

"Pbbbtttt!"

Instantly his eyes shot open as he sat up to search for the source of the noise.

"Huh? What? Who there? What's going on?" Gus's eyes fell upon the empty open cell. He looked down at his down at the now empty hook on his belt where his keys were supposed to be.

"Oh, no Rover not going to be happy about this."


Rover cradled the shiny green rock that hung around his neck as he slept. From the moment he'd laid eyes on it, it was love at first sight. He loved the way it glowed brightly like a ball of emerald flame. It was his new favorite treasure, his...precious. One that would show the rest of the pack who the true top dog was.

"Rover!" The door to his quarters flew open. Rover sprung upright as one of the guards stood in the doorway panting. "Prisoners, take key, escape from cell." He explained.

A snarl crossed Rover's muzzle as he gripped the rock tighter in his paw. "Find them now!" He roared.


Comet's POV.

"Awrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

"That doesn't sound good," I said stating the obvious.

"Hmm...What time is it?" Spike mumbled rubbing his eyes.

"Arf arf arf arf arf arf arf!"

"Ruff! Ruff ruff ruff!"

"Boys," Rarity stated with concern. "I think they're on to us. I suggest we start running."

We took off galloping as fast as we could. We weren't sure where we were going or what the plan was. We just knew we needed to put as much distance between us and that barking as we possibly could.

"This way!" I called out recognizing a split in the tunnel from when I was brought out from my cell. Rarity didn't question my reasoning. She simply followed with Spike riding on her back hanging onto her mane like a bridle. The barking was growing louder they were closing in on us. As long as we stayed in the tunnels, we were like rats in a maze. We needed to get to someplace wide open where they couldn't corner us.

"I can see an exit up ahead!" Rarity cried as she pointed out a doorway up ahead. Ignoring the fatigue in my legs, I pushed my body onward toward the light. The tunnel spat us out into a large central cavern that connected to several other tunnels, some on the ground and some in the ceiling. The claw marks leading up the walls suggested this was how the diamond dogs traveled to the surface.

"Which way do we go from here?" Spike asked nervously. Suddenly the ground erupted from underneath us as a medium gray paw grabbed Rarity's foreleg. She let out a shriek and jerked back sending Spike tumbling off her and onto me.

Before we could run or turn around the ground behind us erupted as Fido and Spot jumped out. Immediately the smaller dog jumped on top of Spike and me pinning us both to the ground. Fido meanwhile grabbed Rarity by the barrel with his enormous paws. "You go nowhere, pony except back to the dungeon!" Rover's ghastly face answered as he pulled himself up from the hole. His collar glowed with a familiar green aura. My face went white with terror as I felt the familiar fever wash over me. "You think you can run away from us?" The pack leader sneered. More dogs began emerging from the ground and the tunnels. "No creature escapes Diamond Dogs." My vision began to blur as my legs ceased what little resistance they could muster. If I had eaten that cave fungus at dinner, I probably would be throwing it up about now.

"Apple Comet!" Rarity gasped as she noticed me writhing in pain on the floor. "Get off, you're hurting him!"

"Silence!" Rover barked.

"Rover, he not looking so good right now." Spot pointed out.

"You see even he agrees with me," Rarity added.

"Grrr," Rover growled and leaned in closer to get a better look at me. The increased proximity to the mineral sent my fever into overdrive. My lungs erupted into a violent coughing fit that left my tongue, palate, and nose feeling warm and wet. Instinctively I hacked up what was in my mouth. Rarity let out a shriek as Spike screamed something that made my heart turn cold.

"He's coughing up blood!" Upon hearing this, something inside Rarity snapped. She bit down hard on Fido's finger causing him to yelp out in pain. Immediately his grip loosened as she landed on her hooves. Her horn lit up brighter than I'd ever seen it as she telekinetically lifted Spot off of us and threw him into Rover. The smaller dog struck Rover in the stomach like a cannonball sending him flying backward into the diamond dogs standing behind them.

"DON'T ANY OF YOU LAY ANOTHER PAW ON EITHER OF THEM!" Her voice amplified by her magic echoed around the cavern. "YOU MONGRELS HAVE SHOWN US NOTHING BUT INHOSPITALITY AND RUDENESS SINCE THE MOMENT YOU BROUGHT US HERE!" She stood protectively in front of us, snorting and pawing the ground like she was ready to charge. "MY COLT IS VERY SICK AND THE MEDICINE HE NEEDS IS VERY EXPENSIVE! THAT'S WHY WE CAME LOOKING FOR GEMSTONES. INSTEAD, YOU THREW HIM INTO A PRISON CELL ALONE, FORCED HIM TO WEAR A HIDEOUS IRON COLLAR, AND SLAVE AWAY FINDING GEMS FOR YOU HEARTLESS GREEDY MUTTS! YOU ALL OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES!"

Rover and Spot clung to each other whimpering, while Fido stepped backward with his tail between his legs.

"We so sorry, we not know!" Fido whimpered.

"Y-Yeah, I-it was all Rover's idea," Spot stammered pointing a shaking paw at the leader.

"Get off me!" Rover shoved the smaller dog off his chest and stood up defiantly. Then he said something he would forever regret saying. "Who do you think you are? Letting yourselves be intimidated by a mule!"

"WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME?" Rarity shouted at the top of her lungs. Her magic surged as one by one she ripped the spears from the paws of several guard dogs and levitated them over Rover's head. "I...am...not...a...mule," She hissed venomously before driving them into the ground around him to form a makeshift cage.

Rover's face turned pale with terror as his body trembled from head to toe. "P-please, d-don't hurt me." He begged holding his paws up pathetically. "I-I-I d-do a-anything,"

"Anything?" Rarity asked with a confident smirk. Her aura wrapped around Rover's collar as she undid the clasp and tossed it away. "Okay Rover, here are my terms. One, you set us free and lead us out of this place. Two, You hand over the gems you made us gather for you. And three, I want you to Pinkie Promise me you will never kidnap ponies ever again.

"Okay, okay, we do as you say. We let you go and kidnap no more ponies!"

"Do you pinkie promise? Cross your heart hope to die, stick a cupcake in your eye?"

Rover, Fido, and Spot held up their pinkie claws. "Y-yes!"

"Then say it."

"Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a cupcake in my eye." Even in my weakened state, seeing the diamond dogs all reciting the pinkie promise in unison was enough for me to find the strength to laugh out loud, albeit very painfully.

"Good, now remember you all pinkie promised so don't break it." Rarity said in a sing-song voice.

"OR ELLLSSSSE!" A distant wailing voice echoed through the cave.

"Rover?"

"Yes, Fido?"

"I think I just marked on your territory."


"Apple Comet?"

"I think he's waking up!"

"Stand back, give him some space. That means you Pinkie Pie."

I slowly opened my eyes to find myself staring up at a white ceiling surrounded by Applejack and her friends.

"Oh thank Celestia you're awake!" Applejack said smiling as big as I'd ever seen her. Her eyes were red and puffy, suggesting she had been crying.

"Applejack?" I slowly sat up to find myself sitting in a hospital bed. Judging from the balloons tied to the foot of the bed and the banner that read Get Well Soon Apple Comet, I could only assume Pinkie Pie had done some redecorating while I was out. "What happened? How did I get here?"

"Well..."Pinkie Pie answered setting down a basket of cookie pops on the side table. "After you didn't return, Twilight organized a search party to find you, which was good because I was worried something might've happened to you. I mean why wouldn't I be worried? After all, Rarity is one of my best friends and you're Applejack's brother and she's also one of my best friends. And Spike is an assistant to Twilight who's also one of my best friends. Anyway...when we arrived at the quarry, Rarity was there waiting for us with you on her back. At first, I was excited to see you because I was worried, I mean who wouldn't be? But then when I went to say hi to you," Her tone of voice suddenly shifted from energetically happy to soft and sad. "You didn't say anything. You just lay there. Rainbow Dash took one look at you and immediately volunteered to fly you to the hospital."

"Well yeah, I wasn't gonna leave you hanging," Despite her usual attempt to put on airs, I could tell the cyan pegasus had been just as worried as her friends.

"You've been asleep for a day and a half," Fluttershy said. "How are you feeling?"

I looked over at Applejack who looked like she was trying her hardest not to let any fresh tears fall. I smiled and placed my hoof on top of hers. "Lucky, that my big sis has such loyal, kind, funny, and generous friends." The twin dams in Applejack's tear ducts burst.

"Oh, Apple Comet! Come here you little rascal." She threw her hooves around me and embraced me tightly.

"Speaking of which, there's someone else who'd like to see you," Twilight said turning the doorknob in her magic. As soon as it opened, three familiar ponies yelled out "SURPRISE!" Only to immediately be shushed by Nurse Redheart who was passing in the hallway.

"Oops, I mean surprise," Sweetie Belle whispered embarrassingly. Apple Bloom immediately ran up to my bed and proceeded to join our group hug.

"Oh, Apple Comet! A'h was so worried about you." Her eyes were wet, but her smile and laughter told me they were tears of joy. "Y'all were asleep for so long, A'h thought you were never gonna wake up."

"We missed having you at school," Scootaloo said as she pulled in a red wagon that was filled with what looked like get-well cards.

"So Ms. Cheerilee had the whole class make you get well soon cards." Sweetie Belle explained. She rifled through the collection of cardboard and construction paper with her magic until she found the one she was looking for. "Here," She floated it over to me. "The three of us made you this." My heart exploded...twice. It was a crayon-drawn picture of the four of us together. I was riding in a wagon with Apple Bloom and Sweetie being pulled by Scootaloo on her scooter. Written at the top were the words Get Better Soon. They had even signed their names on it. A tear fell from my eye as I embraced my sister.

"Oh, girls! It's wonderful! Thank you so much!"

"Yeow!" Apple Bloom yelped as I heard her back crack. "Careful," Fortunately, I couldn't see any cracks or breaks in her spinal column. Nor was there any internal bleeding. Wait a minute, I could see my sister's bones again. I looked out the window to see Celestia's sun shining in the blue afternoon sky. My ears pitched up as I heard the wheels of a linen cart coming from around the corner outside my room.

"Whoops sorry," I said. "I guess I forgot my own strength." I suddenly had a feeling my stay at the hospital was going to be over a lot sooner than expected.


Third Pony POV.

Later that night.

Spike gazed deeply into the emerald in his claw. His thoughts drifted back through the events of the past couple of days as he watched the moonlight shimmer across its many facets. As compensation for having to go through what did, Rarity gave him an extra helping of gems and even a kiss on the cheek. It should've been everything he ever wanted. So why did he feel so empty? Try as he might he couldn't get the image of Apple Comet writhing in pain on the ground out of his head.

In hindsight, he felt like he probably should've noticed it sooner. Of course, the Diamond Dogs showing up when they did hadn't helped matters. But still, he wondered how he could not have seen it right in front of him. It was that crystal that made him sick. But how? And why did it only affect Apple Comet and not him and Rarity, or the Diamond Dogs? He pondered whether or not he should tell Twilight about it. Would she believe him if he told her a space rock made Apple Comet sick? He felt a sense of guilt circling deep inside him. Rarity may have found it, but it was he who dug it up. He wondered what Apple Comet would think of him. Would they still be friends?

"Spike, are you coming to bed?" Twilight stepped out of the shadows and into the moonlight. Spike sighed and dropped the emerald back into the burlap sack.

"Yeah, I'm coming," he said.

"Hey is everything alright?" She asked. For a moment he pondered spilling his heart out to her. But then decided it was late.

"Yeah, I'm just tired." He said climbing down from the windowsill.

"I understand," Twilight said. "You've been through an awful lot these last couple of days." She pulled back her sheets with her magic and climbed into bed. "Yawn. Good night Spike,"

"Good night Twilight," He said as she turned off the lamp. His conscience weighing heavy on him, Spike took one last look out the window and climbed into bed. While he was glad to be back home with Twilight, he had a feeling he wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight.

PreviousChapters Next