• Published 13th Jan 2017
  • 3,731 Views, 334 Comments

Comet The Colt of Steel - Stallion of Steel



Rocketed to Equis from the dying planet Kolton a young foal is taken in by the Apples. As he grows to maturity he discovers he has powers far beyond those of mortal ponies. Join him as he learns what he is and what it truly means to be a hero.

  • ...
12
 334
 3,731

PreviousChapters Next
The Nightmare Rises. (Updated)

The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful. Okay mostly uneventful. A few minutes after Twilight left, Pinkie Pie dropped by to deliver a party invite to Applejack. And by dropped in I mean she literally dropped in via parachute, played Charge on a kazoo handed Applejack the invitation before heading off back into town parachute in tow. All without my somehow noticing until she landed. Someday I'll figure out how she does it.

Anyway, after that everypony's focus shifted back to prepping for the Summer Sun Celebration. By the evening the last cart had returned from making its delivery to town and the family sat down for dinner. Well except for Applejack No matter how I tried I couldn't get the thought of that invitation out of my head. Why was I so interested in that party anyway? Just because Twilight would be there. I didn't even notice the food on my plate until Granny asked me if I was feeling well. I told her I was fine, that I was just excited about the festival later tonight. I managed to polish off about half of my apple casserole. Applejack could have the rest when she got back.

For dessert, we had apple pie with vanilla ice cream. I was the only kid at the table who's got a chance to melt. I didn't care Applejack would still eat it anyway.

As soon as the after-dinner cleanup was done, the foals and the elders went upstairs to bed. Since my cousins were staying over, Apple Bloom and I had to share beds with them, which unfortunately meant sharing a bathroom. It's bad enough having to share a bathroom with nineteen other ponies. But when you have X-ray vision and super hearing it's enough to make your stomach churn. Since I didn't want to see my relative's bathroom habits up close I decided to wait in my room.

"A little quality time with my telescope should help take my mind off things," I said removing it from my closet. Ever since I found out I was an alien, I had a fascination with astronomy and astrology. Truth be told I didn't need a telescope to stargaze. My eyesight was good enough that I could see distant stars and planets at night. Granny thought it might be something cool for me to have though, and it is. According to her, it belonged to Pa, He used it to watch the stars in anticipation of the coming harvest.

"Okay, lenses are focused, angle looks just about right. Time to see what stars are out tonight." I didn't have to look far.

"Huh? That's strange." I said taking notice of the moon.

"What's strange?" I turned around to see Babs Seed standing in the doorway.

"There's a weird shadow on the surface of the moon," I said stepping away so she could take a look.

"Wow." She whispered. "What do you think it is?"

"Well If my lunar calendar is accurate, it should be a full moon tonight," I explained. "And seeing how it doesn't corroborate with any known lunar phase, my logical hypothesis would be that it's merely an optical illusion caused by the moon's magic radiating from its surface.

Babs's eyes twitched like she was trying to communicate in Morse code that she was confused.

"Okay, I did not understand a word you just said." She said

"Ever heard the Legend of the Mare in the Moon?" I asked

"Yeah, when I was in kindergarten," Babs answered. "Don't tell me you believe in that baby stuff?"

"No no of course not," I assured her with a wave of my hoof. "I'm nine years old, well past believing in old mare's tales. I mean who grows up believing those stories are real?" Babs let out a chuckle at the thought of a grown-up believing in made-up stories.


Third Pony POV.

"Achoo!" Twilight Sparkle shot up in her bed. "Ugh, I hope I'm not catching something from being here." She groaned before throwing her pillow back on her head. Meanwhile, the party downstairs continued to rave on,


Comet's POV

"Bathroom's available now if Y'all want it." Apple Squash announced as she led Cinnamon Sugar Liberty Belle and Red June into my room. They were carrying their sleeping bags along with pillows, board games, and several pony dolls.

Great I thought as rolled my eyes. My room was about to be filly slumber party central. I suppose it could have been worse. At least there wasn't any make-up or hoof polish or anything like that.

"Thanks," I said plainly as I walked to the door. I wondered if anypony would mind if I slept in the bathtub tonight. Sometimes it's hard being the only colt in the family.

The sounds of family young and old alike getting ready for bed echoed through the halls as I walked to the bathroom. Our rooms were all in the same hall so we all shared a bathroom.

Since I first discovered my powers, I'd often use this opportunity in the morning or at night to practice honing my senses. I'd focus on one particular sound or sight and tune out everything else. I had two rules about it though. One listens before you look. And two don't close your eyes. I could imagine seeing what I heard with frightening accuracy.

The bathroom sink was cluttered with toothbrushes and discarded tubes of toothpaste. Sighing I gathered them up giving each of them a once over with my heat vision to make sure they were sterile.

Most ponies will tell you that all you need is a rinse of water. But I've always found that ultraviolet light works best. Once I was done. I checked the medicine cupboard to make sure my toothbrush was still clean. "Well, at least they didn't use that," I whispered as I shut the cupboard door.

Some kids at school call me a neat freak because I wash my hooves thoroughly and I make sure my mane is tidy. I doubt they would if they could see germs the way I could.

I brushed and flossed like I did every night before taking a swig of mouthwash that I got from my last dental visit. Right as I was in the middle of gargling, I heard the sound of somepony opening my nightstand drawer.

"Huh? What's this?" Said a voice I recognized as Red June.

"What'd'ya find?" Cinnamon Sugar asked her.

"Some kind of pendant." Was Red June's answer.

I spat my mouthwash against the mirror in shock before racing out the door. My x-ray vision confirmed what I feared. Red June was wearing my Mother's pendant.

"Looks cool huh?" She bragged as the others oohed and awed at it like it.

"Is that real silver?" Liberty Belle asked.

"You know what A'h bet it is." Red June smirked before proceeding to strut around like a fashion model on a runway.

I felt a sudden anger rising within me. I could tolerate sharing my telescope, my books, and most of my other possessions. But that pendant was a gift from my Mother, and that was off-limits to anypony except myself and my immediate family.

I rushed back to my bedroom. My reflexes were all that kept me from ripping the door off its hinges.

"Put that back where you found it!" I said bursting into the room. The girls gasped and jumped back at my sudden appearance. It must have been quite a terrifying sight. For a moment none of them said or did anything. They just looked at me with their mouths wide open. Then Red June scoffed at me and turned her head.

"Relax will ya, Ah wasn't gonna steal it or nothing. Hey, wait a second how did ya know what we were doing in here if Y'all were in the bathroom?"

Road apples she had me there. My anger quickly faded as I tried to think up an excuse.

"Alright, you caught me," I said kicking my hoof forward. "I didn't go to the bathroom. I was spying on you outside the door." Which was true from a certain point of view. Naturally, my cousins didn't take too kindly to this.

"What!" Liberty Belle gasped.

"You Creep!" Red June said pointing accusingly at me.

"Why would ya do that cuz?" Babs asked sounding upset.

"I just wanted to make sure my stuff was safe."

"Oh, so that a bunch of big clumsy fillies didn't break your precious things?" Cinnamon Sugar huffed.

"That and to make sure you didn't take anything," I added. "Like my pendant for example. Speaking of which hoof it over."

"Why's it so important to ya?" Red June asked.

"Because I was wearing it when Ma and Pa found me," I answered.

Red June's anger instantly vanished. She held the pendant up to her face and gazed at the silver comet on it. Without saying anything she undid the clasp and hoofed it to me.

"Ah'm sorry, A'h didn't know." She whispered.

"It's okay," I said putting my hoof on her shoulder. "Just ask me next time okay?"

"Y-yeah sure," she muttered as she trotted over to her sleeping bag.

I went over to my nightstand and put the pendant back in my drawer.

"How come it looks like yer Cutie Mark?" Cinnamon Sugar asked.

I turned around and looked at my flank. "I don't know," I answered. "I got it while stargazing one night.

"Maybe yer parents were stargazers or something?" Liberty Belle said.

Would they believe me if I told them the truth? I pondered as I shut my drawer.


"Kom-El? Wake up. Wake up Kom-El."

"Huh, wha?" My eyes squinted as I slowly opened them. Was it time to go to the festival already? A large yawn escaped my lips as I rose from my bed. Wait a second, Kom-El? Did she just call me Kom-El?" Only two ponies I knew ever called me that and neither of them sounded like that. Come to think of it, I'd never heard this voice in my life. My eyes shot open as I looked around. My bedroom was empty. There was no sign of my cousins anywhere. No sleeping bags, no pillows, no toys scattered across the floor. I rushed to my window and that's when I noticed something was very off. Sweet Apple Acres had completely vanished. In its place was a vast barren surface of craters and dry seas resting the shadow of something enormous. My jaw dropped as I looked up

"It's impossible!" I exclaimed as I rubbed my hooves in my eyes. I looked up to find the image hadn't changed. I was standing in the shadow of the Equis.

"Tis not impossible little one." Did she just call me little one? Her voice was at a higher pitch than mine.

"Who are you?" I called out. "Show yourself.

A bright blue light materialized in front of me.

"Here we are!"

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me." I face hoofed.

The little filly in front of me couldn't have been more than three years old. Her coat was a dark shade of blue with her mane being just a shade lighter. She was dressed in very elegant regalia including a dark blue tiara and matching shoes. But the biggest shock of all was she was an alicorn. I'm not kidding, She was a little blue alicorn.

"Greetings Kom-El. Tis good to finally make thy acquaintance, We hath much to discuss with thee."

Okay her voice did not fit with the vernacular she was using. She sounded like a kindergartener trying to give a fifth-grade performance.

"Okay, then why don't we start with who you are and where am I?"

"Certainly." She said raising her right hoof rather dramatically. "We are Princess Luna, Princess of the Night, Raiser of the Moon, and Guardian of the Dream Realm."

Pffff, Okay that right there might have just been the funniest thing I'd ever heard in my life. Was this what I sounded like to others when I talked about grown-up matters?

"Aren't you a little young to be an alicorn princess?" I chuckled.

"Silence thy tongue subject!" She pouted. "We art many thousands of years old!"

It finally dawned on me that she was speaking a dialect of old equish, circa the 5th century I think. It was kind of hard to tell because her pronunciation was that of a young foal.

"Okay settle down I was just making sure is all," I assured her.

"Thou must understand we hath not always been like this." She said as she hung her head low. "In thy current state, thy magic be but a fraction of thy power. Hence." She gestured her hooves around her body.

"I see, so where am I?"

"Thou art in the realm of dreams." She answered.

"I'm asleep?"

"Thou art correct." She nodded. "We hath observed thy dreams ever since thou fell from the stars. But we could not speak to thee because we were not strong enough to escape her."

"Her?" I asked.

"The Mare in the Moon." The little filly said her eyes trembling with dread. "She who doth turned us against thy sister to seize thy kingdom. Nightmare Moon!"

"But that's just an old mare's tale, a story in a book," I argued.

"Tis not just a mere story." She countered. "Equestria's future doth depend on thee Kom-El."

"And that's another thing, I don't know where you heard that name but it's not mine alright? My name is Apple Comet and it's always been that." It was pretty safe to assume the horse was out of the barn, but I wasn't about to let my tongue slip just yet.

"We think Loran and Jav-El would disagree with thee." She smirked at me with a twinkle in her eye that said 'gotcha'."

"Sigh fine you want my help you got it. So how do you suggest I defeat Nightmare Moon?"

"The Elements of Harmony." She explained waving her hoof over her head. "Though not strong enough to defeat her before, Nightmare Moon's power hath waned greatly over the last thousand years. Thou shall have a short opportunity to free thee from her power."

"THERE YOU ARE YOU NAUGHTY LITTLE FILLY!!!!" A booming voice echoed around us. Luna froze in terror, her little legs trembling with fright. A black miasma smothered the sky in total darkness.

"Oh no! She's found us!" Luna whimpered curling herself into a ball behind. I took her by the hoof and gently pulled her into my arms.

"Don't worry," I assured her. "I won't let anything happen to you." The alicorn filly sobbed and hiccuped onto my shoulder.

A flash of lightning briefly illuminated the darkness revealing the massive shadow of a demonic face. I grit my teeth as my eyes lit up red with the fury of somepony who'd lost a loved one to a monster like this. I no longer cared if this was a dream or not. No way in Tartarus was I going to let this monster take Luna away.

"Where are you?" I shouted as loud as my lungs would allow. "Whoever you are, you don't scare me."

A sinister laugh echoed out from every direction. Luna wrapped her hooves around my barrel in a vise grip. Her heartbeat was so frantic I was afraid she might go into shock.

"AW HOW BRAVE OF YOU, IT SEEMS OUR RUNAWAY PRINCESS HAS FOUND A GALLANT KNIGHT TO PROTECT HER. A PITY, HE CANNOT SAVE YOU LITTLE LUNA! AHA HA HA HA HA HAH!"

Out of the darkness came a murky blue fog. It rose higher and higher billowing like the smoke of an enormous blaze. Slowly the fog began to take shape. First, a pair of cat-like eyes appeared, they glared at me like a beast that had found its prey. Next four legs as tall and thick as the town hall sprouted lifting the mist even higher. A barrel formed, followed by a neck, then, a head, a snout, ears, and a mouth of shark-like teeth. Dark blue flames erupted from the head and flank as the mist began to fade Another flash of lightning and the colossal figure of Nightmare Moon stood towering above us.


"AH HA HA HA HA HA HA!" Her laughter rippled across the sky like thunder.

"My how pathetic you two look down here. Like two flies in a spider's web." Her eyes spilled into even fours as she licked her fangs. "I could just eat you both up."

"EAT THIS!" With Luna tightly wrapped in my arms, I leaped into the air. My hoof found Nightmare Moon's lower jaw with a satisfying THWACK!!!! Stunned the titanic mare fell to her side with an earth-shattering impact. THOOM!!!

"YOU IMPUDENT FOAL!!!" She howled at me, "YOU"LL PAY FOR THAT!!!"

"Oh, you read Power Ponies too?" I replied smugly as I watched her stagger to her hooves.

"YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF THE POWER YOU ARE MESSING WITH!!!"

"While I'm pretty sure you do after that haymaker." I said landing behind her." My pithy comeback was disrupted by the sound of whelping from between my legs. I looked down to see Luna clutching her jaw in pain. "Luna, what's wrong?"

"DO YOU WANT TO TELL HIM LULU OR SHALL I?" Nightmare Moon asked wincing in pain.


"We have shared thy same body and mind with Nightmare Moon for the last millennium." Luna hissed through her hurt jaw. "Whatever pain she feels, We feel."

"Wait if this is a dream how can either of you feel pain?"

"Because thou art the one who is dreaming. She explained. We are but a mere visssitor."

"NOW THAT YOU'VE HEARD THAT WILL YOU STRIKE ME DOWN AND BEAT ME WITHIN AN INCH OF MY LIFE?" The behemoth smiled a serpent-like grin.

"I WONDER HOW MUCH PUNISHMENT SHE CAN TAKE?."

I paid her no mind. Luna's jaw was two inches to the left of where it should be. Blood was slowly trickling out of the right side. It would have to be reset and a healing potion applied.

"Can you heal yourself if I reset it?" I asked. Luna simply nodded and closed her eyes. "Okay here goes."

I was no Dougie Haflinger even if I did come with my own built-in set of x-ray goggles. But between the two of us, I think we did alright.

"Crick!"

"Okay, it's set."

The alicorn filly's horn lit up, sending a soft blue light washing over her lower jaw.

"Better?"

"Better." She smiled at me.

"HMM A WARRIOR AND A HEALER, HOW TOUCHING BUT ALAS POINTLESS."

Nightmare Moon raised her hoof high into the air with a satisfied smirk.

"Farewell little insect." She said as she brought it down on top of us. Luna closed her eyes and curled up as the shadow of a shoe the size of our barn drew in closer. Then suddenly as quickly as she brought it down it stopped.

"WHAT IS THIS?" The Colossal Mare cried in disbelief as she felt something pushing against her hoof. With my hind legs squatted down and the muscles of my back and arms coiled like bands of steel. I slowly stood up.

"HOW ARE YOU STILL RESISTING?" She attempted to apply more pressure but try as she might her hoof continued to rise higher and higher.

"URARGH!! With one last cry, I leaped into the air with such force that it threw the astonished giantess onto her back a distance of several hundred feet. With the immediate danger dealt with, I turned my attention back to Luna gently kneeling to her level.

"Wait here while I handle her and sorry in advance for any pain you might feel. I'll try to pull my punches where I can."

She smiled at me before planting a kiss on my cheek.

"Our hero." She giggled as she watched my cheeks turn red from embarrassment.


"THERE IS NOWHERE IN THIS REALM FOR TO HIDE YOU INSOLENT BRATS!!!"

Nightmare Moon had gotten to her hooves with a look of menace in her eyes.

"WHEN THIS WORLD IS MINE, I SHALL SEE TO IT PERSONALLY THAT YOUR DREAMS CONSIST OF NOTHING BUT NIGHTMARES!!!"

"Sounds great, Granny won't let me see any horror movies by myself," I said sarcastically as I leaped into the air. Suddenly I was caught in a bright cyan aura. I couldn't feel my body couldn't even move my eyes. Nightmare Moon had caught me in her aura.

"SO STRONG FOR SUCH AN ANNOYING LITTLE FLY, ESPECIALLY ONE WITHOUT WING! BUT LIKE SO MANY INSECTS YOU EVENTUALLY FALL IN MY TRAP! DID YOU THINK THE SAME TRICK WOULD WORK ON ME TWICE?"

A-HA HA HA HA HA!!!!"
Her booming laughter was accompanied by flashes of lightning. I could feel myself getting pulled in closer, her enormous cat-like eyes gazing in on me.

"Tell me little fly," She whispered icily in my face. "What do you fear more than anything else hmm?" She lowered me next to her muzzle and opened wide revealing two rows of razor-like teeth topped with serpentine fangs and a thin forked tongue. "Oooh I can almost taste it." She hissed lowering me toward her mouth. Her tongue slithered and danced around me.

"You know there was a Timberwolf King who tried this once with me!" I snarked. "Let's just say it didn't end too well for him!"

Her tongue drew back as she brought us back to eye level.

"Yes I suppose you have proven yourself rather tough to swallow." She concurred. "Fortunately I have other methods to find out what you fear." I suddenly felt a feeling of weightlessness as Nightmare Moon levitated me high into the air. She gently drew in a deep breath and exhaled a thick plume of purple mist that swiftly enveloped my entire field of vision.

"Is that...all you got?" I hacked as the mist slowly began to circle me or was I circling it? I tried to see through it with my X-ray vision but the mist only grew thicker the deeper my sight went.

"HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!" Her laughter echoed in every direction as the mists began to pick up speed.


"LITTLE KNIGHT, HEART OF MIGHT...

LET'S SEE WHAT GIVES YOU A FRIGHT...

RESIST YOU MAY, PLEAD YOU MIGHT...

YOUR DEEPEST FEARS SHALL COME TO LIGHT!!!"

As quickly as it had come, the mist parted slowly, my body ceased to spin as I felt sensation returning to my legs. I instantly recognized where I was.

"The Everfree Forest? What am I doing here?" Was I still dreaming or had I got up in the middle night and sleepwalked off the farm and was just now waking up? Deciding I wasn't going to get answers standing here I leaped into the air. My eyes widened in horror at what I saw.

"It can't be!" I whispered in shock, The forest stretched out in every direction as far as my eyes could see. There was no sign of Ponyville, Canterlot, or anywhere else for that matter. Even the mountain on which Canterlot sat was gone. Every direction was just more trees as if the Everfree Forest went on forever. The sky above was pitch black without a star to be seen. The only light to be seen came from the misty bluish aura of the moon.


"I'm still asleep!" I exclaimed as I settled on the ground. "Well of course ya are!" I heard a familiar voice say. I felt a chill run down my back as I turned around. Out of the foggy mist that drifted through the trees came an enormous translucent blue stallion. My heart froze in terror as I looked into the empty sockets where his eyes should have been.

"P-P-Pa?"

"A'h told ya not to go back into the forest, but Y'all didn't listen to me." His tone was cold and unfeeling not all the way Pa talked. I tried to stammer out a coherent response but I could not get the words to come out. All I could do was back away as the Ghost closed in.

"What's the matter? Timberwolf got yer tongue? He got a lot more of me thanks to you." He pointed his hoof at me and scowled.

"I-I I-I'm s-s-sorry Pa!" He looked at me with anger and worse disappointment in his eyes.

"That's all ya got to say for running away from home? For getting me killed? for putting yer Granny and yer brother and yer sisters through Tartarus for all that time? A'h knew it was a mistake taking ya in. In a way Ah'm sorta glad Pear passed on when she did so she didn't have to see what a failure you've become. A'h don't know what she saw in you. yer, not an Apple heck yer not even a real pony yer just some alien freak with no parents, no place to call home and nopony who loves ya."

At that moment I just wanted to curl up and die. My stomach turned inside out as his words passed through my ears. Tears stung my eyes as the memories of that night came flooding back to haunt me.

"NOOOOOOO!!!! THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!! I screamed as I fell to my hind knees. The spectral stallion paused as I looked him in the dead vacant eyes.

"Well would you look at that, It seems our valiant little prince has a weakness after all." He said with the voice of Nightmare Moon before disappearing into a cloud of smoke. The smoke cleared revealing the now normal-sized alicorn.

"It seems you have regrets about your past, about your father...sorry your 'adopted' father." She said gazing at me like a cobra that had cornered a rat." It hurts, doesn't it? Bright Mac took you into his home, raised you as his own and you repaid him by leading him to his death. Her words stabbed through me like a knife to her heart. Every syllable hissed through her fangs sent shivers up my spine.

"Do you see now that you are helpless before me alien? This realm is mine just as the world will soon be. But I'll be more than happy to share it with you. Her horn lit up as she cast an explosion of what felt like dust into my eyes.

"Ugh, what did you do to me?"

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha." Nightmare Moon cackled. "The Sands of Hypponos, anypony whose eyes it touches shall sleep forevermore. Welcome to your new home my Little Prince, or should I should say, Sleeping Prince. I suggest you take the time to make yourself comfortable for you shall never wake again!"

Author's Note:

You may commence playing of the John Williams Superman theme at the last sentence of the second line of paragraph 121.

The tune to Nightmare Moon's nursery rhyme is Star Light Star Bright albeit a bit darker.

PreviousChapters Next