• Published 13th Jan 2017
  • 3,723 Views, 334 Comments

Comet The Colt of Steel - Stallion of Steel



Rocketed to Equis from the dying planet Kolton a young foal is taken in by the Apples. As he grows to maturity he discovers he has powers far beyond those of mortal ponies. Join him as he learns what he is and what it truly means to be a hero.

  • ...
12
 334
 3,723

PreviousChapters Next
Too Close to the Sun.

The Sun, its very existence is the reason life can exist on Equus. It warms our planet, helps plants grow, and produces the oxygen we breathe. Those plants provide many animals including ourselves with food. Its rays contain vitamin D which can help with negative emotions. And if you're of a certain extraterrestrial species those rays allow you to do things you'd never think were possible. But it's important to remember not to get too close to the sun. Especially when you're me.

It was a big day in Ponyville. Applejack and her friends had been cordially invited to a social brunch at Sugarcube Corner. Now at first, that doesn't sound like a big day in Ponyville. Except that this was no ordinary social brunch. Now, why is that? You might wonder at first. When does an ordinary social brunch become a not ordinary social brunch? Well, the answer is when none other than Princess Celestia herself attends it.

As you might expect, Mr. and Mrs. Cake were on high alert. A visit by the Princess of the Sun was a momentous occasion. One that would be taken notice of by newspapers across Equestria. Their small bakeshop would soon be on the lips of every noble in Canterlot, and every food critic in Equestria. One small slip, one slight fault and it would be curtains for their business. Everything had to be perfect.

Where do I fit into this picture? Well, since Twilight was the Princess's personal student, her friends were cordially invited to the brunch. Apple Bloom and her friends were off crusading, and I hadn't visited Sugarcube Corner in a while, so I figured I might as well tag along. Of course with Princess Celestia being there, I couldn't just go as is. A fact made abundantly clear by the fact that Applejack washed her coat, combed her mane and tail, and scrubbed her hooves. I know shocking right? Anyway, after taking a bath and failing once again to get rid of that one curly hair, I laid out what I was going to wear.
Rarity had sewn me a fine sweater vest after Niels Grasse Tycho visited. It looked just like his complete with stars and planets and even a matching bowtie. I put on a light blue dress shirt to complete the look.

"I must admit, I look rather spiffing if I do say so myself," I said as I looked at myself in the mirror. Now if only I could do something about that darn curl.

"Apple Comet, you ready yet? We gotta get going?" Applejack said casually from her bedroom. When you're family knows you have super hearing, they can call out to you from pretty much anywhere in the house.

"Coming," I said turning away from the mirror.


As we walked the road into town, I could feel my body soaking up the rays of the sun. Converting it into the fuel that supercharged my cells. In the far distance, I could see a golden chariot pulled by four white pegasuses headed toward Ponyville. Of course, anypony in Equestria could instantly recognize it as the Royal Chariot of Princess Celestia. I mean she sits right in the middle of it for her sake.

Her facial expression was calm and poised. Her shimmering mane blew gently in the wind. One of her magenta eyes glanced over in my direction. As she slowly turned her head to face me, a warm smile crept up her white muzzle. A small giggle escaped her lips as she closed her eyes and turned to face forward. She hadn't seen me from that far away, had she?

'Why not?' I thought to myself. 'I mean could see her. But I'm not like other ponies. Then again, neither was she.'

"Hey, Apple Comet, what y'all staring at?" My big sister's drawl shook me out of my thoughts.

"Nothing. Coming AJ." I answered as I trotted to catch up to her.


We arrived in Ponyville to find the Royal Guard had established a considerable presence ahead of the Princess's arrival. They were patrolling on every street and flying above every rooftop. The area around Sugarcube Corner had been cordoned off by a line of guards blocking the road. Crowds of ponies had built up in front of them hoping to catch a glimpse of the Princess. A few Pegasi tried to get a better view by hovering above the crowd. They were quickly grounded by the pointed spear and steely gaze of the winged guards.

Through the walls, I could see everyone inside the bakery was working frantically to finish getting everything ready. Twilight was teleporting to each station, checklist, and quill in her magic. Pinkie Pie and Mrs. Cake were checking over the decorations, while in the kitchen, Mr. Cake and Spike were busy making pies using his fire breath to bake them. Okay, well that was one way of being efficient I guess.

Suddenly the air was filled with the ruffles of fanfare. On the ground and in the air, guards playing trumpets and drums adorned with the Celestial banner signaled the imminent arrival of the Princess.

The sound sent Twilight and the Cakes into immediate panic mode. They began galloping and teleporting every which way, checking to make sure everything looked presentable.

Outside, hushed whispers and muttering filtered through the crowds. Then as the Royal Chariot began its descent, the voices fell silent. The Princess waved to the crowds as her chariot landed in front of the bakery. As her long tall legs stood up and stepped off the chariot, everypony in the crowd knelt in respect.

"Good day my little ponies," She said in her elegant graceful tone. Her warm smile radiated a sense of gentleness as she ducked her head through the front door. One of the guards carrying a gilded birdcage followed her. As soon as she was inside, the two guards in front of the door blocked it with their wings, while one of the Pegasi guards addressed the crowd.

"Everypony who is on the guest list please form an orderly line in front of the establishment. The rest of you go about your business."

The crowd gradually dispersed as those on the guest list lined up in front of Sugarcube Corner. Among them was Rarity, overdressed as per usual.

"Name?" One of the guards asked in a commanding tone when it was our turn to enter.

"Applejack and this is my little brother Apple Comet. We're here for the brunch with Princess Celestia."

The guard glared at me for a moment, clearly not impressed but also not viewing me as a threat. "Very well, you may enter."

The mood inside the bakery could best be described as awkward anxiety. Also hot for some reason. I looked up at the ceiling to find the fans were in working order.

"Applejack, glad you could back it," Twilight said as we walked in.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world Twi," My sister replied. The two of us turned to the Princess who was seated behind a table and bowed. "Your Highness,"

"It is good to see you again as well Applejack." She turned her eyes over to me. "And who is this?" As I looked into her eyes I felt my temperature slowly begin to rise. My pores began to perspire staining my dress shirt.

"M-My name is A-Apple Comet, y-your Highness."

"Is everything okay?" She asked noticing how uncomfortable I was. "There is no need to be nervous."

"I'm...fine," I said in short ragged breaths. "J-Just a little...hot is all. I-I'm gonna get something to drink."

"Here, allow me." She levitated a bottle of cola out of an ice tub. Before she could bring it over, a yellow hoof snatched it out of her aura.

"Don't worry Your Highness, I'm on it," Mr. Cake said as he bit the cap off and inserted a straw into it. "Here you go, Apple Comet."

"Umm...thank you, Mr.Cake." I took the bottle from his hoof and took a sip. The first sip hit the spot. The second however was where I noticed something was definitely wrong. It went from ice cold to bubbling hot. Curious, I removed the straw and looked into the bottle...

"KER-SPLOOSH!"

...Just as an explosion of carbonated water, sugar, and corn syrup exploded in my eye.

The entire brunch stopped as everybody looked at the cola-covered colt in a sweater vest and bowtie.

BAM! Suddenly the door flew open and the two pegasus guards burst in.

"What's going on in here?" One of them asked.

"It just exploded like a bomb!" Cherry Berry shrieked.

"A bomb!" The guards looked at each other, then immediately flew in front of Princess Celestia, shielding her with their bodies. "Code Red! Code Red! No pony move!" One of them yelled while the other blew a shrill whistle.

The rest of the guards came storming into the bakery either by kicking in the doors or smashing the windows.

"Everypony on the ground now!"

"GUARDS! STAND DOWN!"

The volume of the Princess's voice sent the two guards shielding her face-first into the floor. The tablecloth uprooted and went airborne carrying off the dishes and desserts in a hurricane of confection and cutlery. And guess which poor sap they ended up landing on.

For the second time in seven-point-eight seconds, all eyes were on the white colt covered in cupcake frosting, apple pie, and Earl Grey. Reactions were varied. Applejack looked dumbfounded. The Cakes were staring back and forth nervously. Probably thinking they could kiss their business goodbye. Rarity cautiously poked her head out from under the table she was hiding. Twilight's left eye was twitching uncontrollably. Her muzzle stretched into an unsettling grin. And then there was the Princess who held a hoof to her muzzle.

"Oh, oh my, I'm so sorry," She whispered with maternal concern. She rushed out from behind the table and up to me. "Are you alright?" Her long neck craned down like a graceful swan. Her ears drooped downward and her eyes pleading for forgiveness. At this point, my entire body felt like it was about to burst into flames at any moment. I felt a bead of sweat fall from my nose. It hit the floor with a bubbling hiss of steam. It was then that my eyes fell upon her royal cutie mark. Everything suddenly clicked, I had to get out of there fast. Without thinking, I took off galloping out the door and into the street. "Wait come back!" The Princess cried as ran as fast as I safely could.

"Whoa! Hey, where's the fire?" Rainbow Dash asked as I ran past her. I paid her no mind and kept on running. I needed to get safely out of town and fast. Thankfully my senses were as sharp as ever. They seemed even sharper than usual. Spotting an alley, I ducked down it. The coast was clear. I fired up my coma and took to the sky.

SWOOOOSH!

The instant I took off, it was like I drank a bucket of pure adrenaline. My coma which was usually a clear red was instead a bright white. In the blink of an eye, I closed the distance from Ponyville to Canterlot and kept going. Neighagra Falls, the Crystal Mountains, Rainbow Falls. All of them passed by me in a flash. Before I knew it, I was passing over the peak of Mount Everhoof, the highest known point in all of Equestria. The temperature up here could freeze a pony solid, yet I was still sweating like I was in a sauna. My heart racing I climbed higher into the sky. The Arctic wind whipped through my mane as I ascended through the cloud barrier.

Before long I could see the curvature of the planet stretched out before me. All of the towns and cities of Equestria and beyond. I saw the mountains of Yakyakistan, The deserts of Saddle Arabia, and The Serengeti of Farasi. Equus itself lay before me. My body was still racing with adrenaline like Pinkie Pie after drinking a six-pack of Red Minotaur. Well, I had to find some way to work it off. Might as well see the world while I'm at it.

By the fifth time, I'd flown around the world, I felt my excess energy beginning to fade. I now felt like Pinkie Pie the day after drinking a six-pack of Red Minotaur.

It didn't take me long to figure out what happened. The Princess of the Sun unknowingly meets a member of an alien race who can absorb energy from sunlight. Surely nothing abnormal could ever possibly come from that.

From the position of the sun, I estimated my flight time totaled to about eighteen minutes. Princess Celestia would probably still be in town when I got back. I'd just have to stay home until she left.

By the time I passed over Canterlot Peak, my coma had changed back to its normal red hue. A peek through the walls of the castle confirmed my suspicions. Princess Celestia was still in Ponyville. I did get quite the reaction from the locals, however.

"Look, up in the sky!"

"It's the Red Comet of Ponyville!"

"What's it doing here?"

"I read it recently appeared in that settlement town!"

"Do you think it's some kind of UFO?"

"Somepony summon the Royal Guards!"

Curiosity getting the better of me, I decided to take a closer look at the castle. I'd seen it many a time from a distance. But I'd never really gotten a chance to see it close-up like this. Through the stonewalls, I was able to see parts of the castle that were definitely not on the official tour. The long majestic throne room, where Princess Celestia held court. The ballroom where the Grand Galloping Gala was to be held. The kitchen was stocked with enough provisions to feed the entire Apple family for a week. There was even an observatory. I had to get a closer look at that. Fortunately, it looked like nopony was inside. With a giddy smile of excitement, I flew inside.

"Wow," I whispered in awe as I gazed upon its splendid magnificence. The centerpiece of the room was the telescope itself. It was easily large enough to take up all the space in the old barn. "I could probably stay up all night just looking through this thing." The ceiling was ornately decorated with the constellations of the night sky. A half-ring of bookshelves wrapped around the back of the room. Their shelves displayed dozens of astronomy books. Some of them were centuries old. I could spend all day in here reading them.

"It flew inside the observatory!" Unfortunately, it looked like I didn't have that kind of time. Outside, a group of pegasus guards was closing in on the tower.

"Guess my private tour is over."

WHOOOSH!

"Incoming!" One of the guards shouted as I rocketed out of the observatory. He ducked his head down as I raced past. "After it." The other guards having recovered their bearings after being scattered like scared pigeons began pursuit. Of course, by that time, the only part of me that was still in the city was the trail of my comet's tail.


Third Pony POV.

Princess Celestia sat on the couch in the middle of the Mayor's office. Mayor Mare had her aides bring it in when it became clear that the chairs in her office would not be enough to comfortably seat her royal 'assets'. At first, she'd told Mayor Mare it was not necessary but the politician had rebutted with "Oh we can't have the Princess of the Sun not being comfortably seated." She decided it best to accept it so things could move forward. Once the 'proper seating' had been arranged, the meeting had gotten underway.

"Before we get started your Highness, I just want to say I'm sorry to hear about what happened at the brunch."

"Oh, it's quite alright," Celestia assured her. "Besides I was partly to blame." Inside, however, she was feeling racked with guilt over what had happened. That poor colt, the shame, and embarrassment he must be going through right now. "I just hope Apple Comet is alright."

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Mayor Mare said with a dismissive tone. "You did send your guards out to look for him."

"That I did," Celestia nodded. She had scolded the guards who'd stormed the bakery harshly and ordered them to search for Apple Comet and apologize sincerely when they found him. Philomena's disappearance could wait for now. That bird was probably pulling one of her acts again.

"While you're here your Majesty, There is something else I wanted to discuss with you," The Mayor continued.

"Oh?" Celestia's ears perked up. "And what is that?"

"The Comet." Mayor Mare answered simply. "Do you have any idea what it might be?"

"Hmm..." Celestia closed her eyes and thought back to the morning of the Summer Sun Celebration. "Well, I know one thing for certain. It's not a real comet. Other than that, I'm afraid I don't know any more than you do at the moment."

Mayor Mare sighed and adjusted her glasses. "All I know from experience is whenever it appears trouble usually isn't far behind. The Ursa Major, the Dragon, the Parasprites that hullaballoo in Appleloosa. Ponies are asking me questions I don't have answers for. Just a month ago I had the Rich family in my office asking me why the Comet had called their daughter a quote 'Big Fat Flank' end quote." When I couldn't give them an answer...well I'd rather not repeat what Mrs. Rich said to me in polite company."

Celestia raised an eyebrow. "The Comet called their daughter a big fat flank?" It took every ounce of regal poise she had to not burst out laughing.

"Well, actually it wrote it in the sky in big fiery letters," The Mayor corrected her. "You have no idea what a nightmare it was keeping that out of the press."

"Yes, I can imagine my little ponies would take notice of a celestial object writing that somepony is a big fat flank." Celestia concurred. "Did the daughter do anything that might've provoked the comet in any way?" Now it was Mayor Mare's turn to raise an eyebrow.

"I...I did not think to ask them that question at the time," The politician admitted. "If I had, I'd probably be facing a recall election right about now."

"Well, it seems our otherworldly visitor has a sense of humor at least, albeit a mean-spirited one. Still, from what you've told me it doesn't seem to be up to anything malicious." The conversation was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"I'm busy right now," Mayor Mare hollered at whoever was outside.

"Your Highness, it's most urgent."

"Come in," Princess Celestia said recognizing the voice as one of her guards.

"Thank you, Your Highness, I thought I'd knock first after you know, our little talk?" The guard admitted hesitantly.

"What news do you bring?" The Princess asked him.

"The Comet has appeared over Canterlot and breached the palace observatory." The guard explained.

"Was anypony hurt?" Celestia's face became concerned.

"No, Your Majesty. They say they chased it off. But it's heading this way."

Princess Celestia stood up calmly and looked out the window. In the distance, she saw the comet streaking away from Canterlot towards Ponyville.

"Hmm...I think it's time I met this comet face to face." She said stepping out of her slippers. She levitated her tiara and necklace off of her and placed them on the couch along with her slippers before teleporting away.


Comet's POV.

"Okay, lesson learned," I told myself. "Next time I want to take a tour of the castle, I'll buy a ticket. At least I'm almost home."

As the thatched rooftops of Ponyville became closer, I saw that the skies were being patrolled by the Princess's guards. Perhaps word had already reached them from Canterlot. Or maybe they were just on patrol. Either way, it posed a problem for me slipping back into town. Cloud cover over Ponyville was nonexistent today. It simply wouldn't do to have cloudy skies on a day when the Sun Princess was visiting the town. So, there was no chance of me landing undetected. As I pondered how best to proceed, I saw a flash of golden light above the spire of the Town Hall. A tall, white alicorn with a shimmering multi-colored mane suddenly appeared. Even, though she was bereft of golden regalia, the golden sun on her flank told me it was Princess Celestia.

"Princess Celestia?" I said in astonishment. "What's she doing out here?" The look of determination on her face told me whatever it was, she meant business. With a downward flap of her wings, she took off like a supersonic swan. "Uh, oh."
My eyes bulged as hers narrowed as she looked in my direction.

"Hello, Little Comet," She said in a stern maternal tone. "If you've got a moment, I'd like to have a word with you."

Sorry Princess, but I just remembered a very important appointment far far away, I thought as I turned sharp right.

"Where are you going?" She asked with a sly grin. "I just want to talk." Her horn lit up enveloping me in a golden field. Instantly my entire body began flooding with energy. The familiar hot sensation I felt when I used my heat vision spread to every part of my body. The blue sky of Equestria disappeared in a blinding flash of light.

When the light faded I found myself floating in the blackness of space. Surrounded by vast fields of floating rocks drifting orbiting around a gigantic red sun. Their dark craggy surfaces were illuminated by luminescent green veins.

"RAO!" A single cataclysmic word echoed through the blackness around me.

From the surface of the sun emerged a seemingly impossibly towering figure, a literal red giant. Its figure resembled a pony made entirely of plasma. Its mane and tail pulsated like a perpetual solar flare. Two white-hot eyes each one the size of the moon stared deeply into me. My barrel felt like a star about to go supernova. I wasn't sure what exactly was going to happen next, but I knew I couldn't be anywhere near Ponyville when it did.


Third Pony POV.

Princess Celestia sensed something was wrong. As soon as her magical field captured the comet, it began to glow brighter. Seeming to feed on her magic. Memories of an old enemy flashed through her mind. She released her hold on the comet which ascended vertically like a firework, releasing a shockwave that flung the Sun Princess back into a reverse somersault.

With the skill and grace of centuries of practice, Celestia righted herself. She looked up to see the comet was gone. All that was left was the trail of shockwaves left in its wake. Below, the citizens of Ponyville stood in shock and awe at what they had just witnessed.


Comet's POV.

Higher and higher I ascended, past Canterlot, past Cloudsdale, past Mt. Everhoof. I ascended higher than anypony had ever ascended before. All the while the burning sensation in my barrel continued to rise like a ticking time bomb. Reminding me that I was running out of time. The cloud cover gave way to the deep dark blue of the stratosphere. Celestia's sun hovered far out in the distance. Its warmth pushed my threshold to its breaking point. I reached my forehooves out toward it and with every ounce of concentration I had, let go!

FWAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!

Celestia's magic was expelled through my eyes and hooves like a solar flare. Traveling at the speed of light to the closest place I could safely release it. The Sun itself. Close enough to be witnessed through a telescope, but far enough not to put anypony in harm's way. The intense heat rushed through my body like water from a collapsing dam. I strained against the pressure still trying to expand outward from my body. Forcing its direction forward toward the sun.

The farther away it traveled, the easier it became to control. By the time it reached the halfway point, the eruptive sensation had slowed to a steady flow. Finally, after an exhausting eight minutes and twenty seconds, I felt the last of the excess energy leave my hooves. I was utterly and completely exhausted. My eyes rolled back as I fell into deep unconsciousness.


Third Pony POV.

POP!

Twilight Sparkle materialized inside the town hall. She found Princess Celestia standing at the window dressed once more in her regalia. Her friends filed in through the double doors behind her.

"Thank you all for coming on such short notice," The Princess turned to face them. Her tone of voice was composed but with an air of seriousness.

"We came as soon as we saw what happened," Twilight said. "What exactly did happen if you don't mind me asking?"

Princess Celestia closed her eyes and exhaled. "I'm not entirely sure myself. When my magic touched the comet, it reacted strangely. It was like a fire reacting to fresh kindling.

"So you're saying your magic 'fueled' the comet?" Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"Well for lack of a better term yes," Celestia answered. "There is something else you must know as well. Earlier the comet was sighted over Canterlot, entering the palace.

"WHAT!" All six mares exclaimed at once.

"When did this happen?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"About twenty minutes ago. According to the report, it flew into the palace observatory and then flew back out. Thankfully nopony was hurt and it appears nothing was taken." Applejack breathed a sigh of relief and wiped her forehead.

"This doesn't make any sense," Twilight said. "What would the comet be doing in an observatory?

"Maybe it was hoping to meet other comets" Pinkie Pie giggled. "Observatories are usually the best place to see them."

"Pinkie, darling," Rarity placed her hoof on the pink mare's wither. "I appreciate the attempt at levity, but this is a matter of national security. I mean the Grand Galloping Gala is in just a few weeks. And I would hate for all my hard work to go to waste."

"You're thinking about 'that' at a time like this?" Rainbow rolled her eyes.

"Why of course, I didn't put myself through all those hours of toiling and tailoring just so they could cancel the Gala." Rarity huffed.

"I assure all of you, the Grand Galloping Gala will go on. I'm just going to have to step up security that's..." Celestia paused as she suddenly felt a strange sensation rush into her head. Her eyes flashed white as she felt an intense heat race up her horn. "Aaaarrrgh!" She cried as her magic involuntarily lit. Its usual golden glow was replaced with a plasma red. Her mane and tail surged upward changing their color to resemble a solar eruption.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight shouted in shock and horror as her mentor stumbled and fell sideways. She quickly conjured up a levitation spell to catch her before she hit the floor. The fire faded as the Solar Diarch's hair slowly returned to its natural hue. Twilight carefully set the Princess down on the floor as the guards came rushing in.

"What happened?" One of them asked.

"I-I don't know," Twilight answered. She was fine one moment, then suddenly she just burst into flame."

The other guard went to check on the Princess. "Are you alright Your Majesty?"

"...Yes...I...think I'll be alright." She winced as her barrel slowly rose up and down. "Twilight,"

"I'm here Princess, what do you need?" The lavender unicorn's face was fraught with concern.

"I felt...a great disturbance in the sun. Like some other source of light...transferred its energy into it...and then dissipated."

"Some other source?" Her violet eyes widened in realization. "THE COMET!"

"Oh my!" Fluttershy gasped. Applejack bit her lower lip nervously. 'What in tarnation have y'all gotten yourself into this time Apple Comet.' She wondered.

"Twilight, are you saying the comet did this?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I'm not sure yet, but based on how it reacted to the Princess's magic, I'm not sure what else could've done it."

"Twitchy Tail!" Pinkie Pie suddenly cried out. Twilight's eyes shrunk to pinpricks as she hastily threw up a forcefield around her friends and braced for impact.

"Nothing's falling," Twilight opened one eye cautiously. She looked over at the pink mare whose tail was still twitching uncontrollably. "What gives Pinkie?"

"I don't know, my tail won't stop twitcha twitching. Whatever it is must still be falling." Her tail straightened out making the sound of an accordion tube. "Whatever's falling is falling outside." She casually reached into her mane and pulled out an extendable spyglass. "Now let's see." She fully extended it and looked through the lens. In the distance near Canterlot, she saw the figure of a pony plummeting from the sky. "Oh, it's just somepony skydiving," Her mane suddenly went flat. without an instructor. Or a parachute." Her head slowly turned toward her friends, giving them a look at her mortified expression. "Gulp...or a reserve parachute."

The entire room gasped in terror.

"We have to do something!" Rarity screamed.

"I'm on it!" Without a second's hesitation, Rainbow Dash charged the closest window...with predictable results.
"BAM!" "I'm okay," The Cyan Pegasus shook her head as she picked herself off the floor. As she fumbled for the window latch Princess Celestia raised her head.

"Leave it to me." She said stoically.

"Princess Celestia wait!" Twilight protested. "You can't, you're in no condition to..." Celestia's horn lit up undoing the latch on the window and opening it.

"Helps if you open it first." The Princess said as she lay back down.

"Uh... thanks," Rainbow Dash said. The Element of Loyalty leaped out the window and took to the sky.


Comet's POV.

They say the higher you fly, the colder it gets. Yet even as the icy wind whipped through my coat, My body still felt hot from the energy I had expelled. I opened my heavy eyes to find the clouds beneath my hooves and the ground above my head.

"What the?!" My cry of astonishment was quickly snatched upward by my velocity. I willed my body to pull up, but my body did not respond. Instead, I continued to plunge like a rock. "What's going on? Why can't I fly?" In the distance, I could see Canterlot, but only at a distance. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't see any closer or through the walls. And the only sound I could hear was the wind whistling past my ears. "The flare! My eyes widened in horrifying realization. "I'd expelled too much energy! I couldn't ignite my coma.

I looked down at the ground getting closer with every second. So this is how it was going to end huh? Well, at least it would be quick. I stopped struggling against the wind, closed my eyes, and brought my legs in. "Ma, Pa, Jav-El, Loran, I guess I'll see you all soon."

KA-BOOOOOM!

I opened my eyes to the sight and sound of the sonic rainboom. "Rainbow Dash!" The cyan pegasus shot toward me like a bolt of lightning. Leaving a shimmering rainbow in her wake.

"Hold on, I'm coming!" She shouted with determination. It was a race to see who would reach me first. Rainbow Dash or the ground. In a split second, she dipped down into a dive leveling out just above the tree line. Then positioning herself beneath me ascended upward vertically. My momentum instantly reversed as I felt her forehooves wrap tightly around me.

"Gotcha!" She exclaimed with relief as she turned back toward Ponyville. My heart was still racing from the adrenaline, and my mind was overcome with conflicting emotions. I just felt overwhelmed with exhaustion, relief, and uncertainty. My head slumped back as I fell into unconsciousness for the second time.


Rainbow Dash's POV.

Well, I can't say I saw this coming. Out of the ponies to save from falling from the sky, AJ's little bro was probably the last one to expect. First off how did he get up there? Second, why was he falling so far away from Ponyville? Maybe Twilight would have the answer, she's good at that egghead stuff. One thing was certain, I was going to have some choice questions for Applejack when I got back.


Comet's POV

"Wake up Kom-El wake up."

I opened my eyes to the sight of four dark blue legs wearing shimmering blue slippers. I followed them upwards to a black peytral with a white half-moon. A long dark blue neck lowered down revealing a pair of familiar cyan eyes and an azure mane.

"Boo,"

"Gah!" I sprung to my hooves and almost immediately stumbled backward. "P-Princess Luna!" The blue alicorn laughed heartily as I rolled onto my side and stood up.

"Gotcha! Tee-hee." She smiled and stifled a giggle with her hoof.

"Where are we? What is this place?" I asked noticing for the first time where I was. We were standing inside a deep violet nebula surrounded by a field of shimmering floating orbs.

"The Realm of Dreams." Her voice was just as regal as her sister's but with a tone of playfulness to it. "This is where we last met. Fear not, this experience will be nothing like that," she assured me. "Nightmare Moon is no more in either here or the waking world thanks to thee and thy sisters."

"Well, that's...good to know," I said. "Do you know where I am in the waking world right now?"

"Thou art in the hospital." She answered. "Thou hath been asleep for nearly an entire day."

"An entire day?" I said as my eyes bugged out in astonishment.

Princess Luna nodded her head. "T'would appear Celestia's presence has quite the peculiar effect on thee." She put it bluntly. "If yesterday's astronomical events are anything to go by. What concerns us more, however, is the absence of our sister's magic within thee."

"Sister's magic?" The gears in my head began turning as I realized what she meant. "You mean the energy from her sun." Again Luna nodded her head.

"When we first met, We felt the same magic within thee as Celestia. Tis what gave us hope that thou would save us. Alas, what magic remains is but a mere ember of its former self."

"Well, I did expel most of it back into the sun," I admitted anxiously.

The blue alicorn held back a laugh."Pfft...Thou would explain..pfft pfft...the stench of singe... haha...emanating...from her mane! Hahahahaha!" She said falling onto her back in a fit of laughter. Tears rolled from her cyan eyes as she held the sides of her barrel in her forehooves. Her hindlegs flailed back and forth as she rolled back and forth.

I rolled my eyes at her and exhaled. "I didn't do it to prank her, I did it to keep myself from going supernova over Ponyville."

Luna's laughter eventually subsided as she rolled onto her side and stood back up. She wiped a tear from her eye as she slowly regained her composure. "Oh, right of course. T'was very brave and noble of you ." She said with a giggle. "Fret not Kom-El, for like the phoenix who is reborn from its ashes, We believe your power will return to thee in time. Just as our sister's sun rises and sets."

Pop! In a flash of light, one of the orbs turned into an alarm clock which immediately began ringing. In a chain reaction, the other orbs changed into clocks of various shapes and sizes. Some chimed, others tolled, still, others cuckooed.

"Alas, We can hear the lark singing his song. We must be off."

"What did you say?" I called back over the chorus of clockwork. Luna took in a deep breath

"WE SAID ALAS WE CAN HEAR THE LARK SINGING HIS SONG! WE MUST BE OFF!"

The volume of her voice sent me tumbling backward in a heap of hooves. All of the clocks changed back to orbs. Their auditory assault had been bested. "Okay...that's what I thought you said."

"Hmm... it would appear our royal vocal cords art almost at half strength?" Luna pondered as my vision faded to white.


I awoke to the smell of recently cleaned sheets and stale hospital air. My body felt like it had just been released from stone. I let out a great yawn and stretched my forelegs above my head. Looking around, I saw my bed was just one of six in this room. The other beds were vacant, but the clipboards attached to their feet told me they were occupied. I looked out the window to see the sun in its morning climb. Just then I heard the sounds of rolling wheels accompanied by hoofsteps on the tile floor outside. The silhouette of a pony's head appeared in the door window. The knob turned and the door opened to reveal Nurse Redheart pushing a cart.

"Oh, you're awake," She said with a pleasant surprise. "How are you feeling?"

"Confused," I answered as she trotted up to my bed.

"Well, you're not the only one." Nurse Redheart said as she pushed the cart next to my bed. "When Rainbow Dash told us she caught you falling from the sky, none of us could figure out how you got up there. You wouldn't happen to know by any chance would you?"

Oh sure, I thought, I just flew to the edge of the atmosphere, unleashed a burst of solar energy, and fell back down to Equus. "I'm afraid I don't remember much about yesterday," I told her. She took it surprisingly well.

"Well, I'm sure you'll remember more as time goes by." She said. "In any case, Dr. Horse will be happy to hear you're up. I'm just gonna give you a quick check-up, and then he's going to come and examine you. And after that, you can have some breakfast. I'll bet you're hungry." She said in a deep voice. I could've eaten an entire bale of hay by myself.

"What about my family?" I asked. Nurse Redheart's cheery smile vanished replaced by a thousand-yard stare. "Hey, are you okay?"

"They stopped by to visit yesterday." She whispered with a quiet tone of dread. Her eyes twitched as she stood frozen in place. "They said they'd be back to visit this afternoon." A trembling smile rose on her face. "Cutie Mark Crusaders Junior Nurses yay," I said a silent prayer for Nurse Redheart's traumatized soul.

My check-up and examination went well, with neither Nurse Redheart nor Dr. Horse finding anything wrong with me. Which greatly puzzled them considering the reason I was admitted in the first place. For Breakfast, they brought in a food cart and gave me a menu. I ended up putting away an omelet with haycon and toast, a bowl of cereal, and a stack of waffles covered with powdered sugar and maple syrup. And to wash it all down, a tall glass of orange juice. Nurse Redheart's eyes widened as she watched me put away my food.

"Goodness, you were hungry."

After breakfast, Nurse Redheart brought in a stack of letters for me. They were mostly get-well cards from family, friends, and classmates. There was one however that stuck as different from all the others. It was a scroll tied in a red ribbon with a golden seal. On the seal was a single letter C. Curiously I undid the seal and unfolded the seal.

Dear Apple Comet,

I wish to express my sincerest apologies for what happened at Sugarcube Corner. No colt or filly should have to endure what you did in my presence. Rest assured I have spoken with my guards about their conduct and will be instructing them on how to better handle situations like that in the future.

It also saddens me greatly to hear of you being sent to the hospital. Yet at the same time, I am also relieved knowing you are safe and sound. I wish you a full and speedy recovery and hope that you are back on your hooves soon.

I would also like if possible a chance to make up for everything you went through. My faithful student tells me you two share a love of books and astronomy. I would like very much to invite you to the palace once things have calmed down. I'm sure Twilight would love to show you the observatory. Just don't let her keep you in there all day.

Sincerely Princess Celestia, Regia Solus Equus,

PS If you ever wish to write to me, talk to Spike. He'll put you in touch with me.

I looked out the window at the rising sun. I felt its rays sinking under my skin. I wondered how she would react if I told her I'd already seen it. Probably not a good idea.


Rainbow Dash's POV The night before.

I lay awake in bed, my restless eyes staring up at the ceiling. Every time I closed my eyes, all I could see was Apple Comet plunging helplessly down to earth. I had decided to hold off on questioning Applejack about it. At least until he was home safe and sound.

I sat up and walked over to my window. The night sky shimmered with countless twinkling stars. My mind flashed back to the night before the Best Young Fliers competition. The night the comet challenged me to a race. I could still make out the letters it had written outside my window. Wanna Race?

Suddenly I remembered something about that night. When I pulled off the sonic rainboom, it knocked the comet out of the sky for a brief moment. I didn't get a good look at it before it pulled up and flew off. But while it was falling, I could've sworn I heard somepony screaming. Was the comet nothing more than a pegasus in a costume pulling a prank? Or maybe it was some other creature. One nopony had ever seen before? If so, what did it want with Apple Comet?"

"Yawn!" I let out a yawn and stretched a foreleg out. I decided I'd see Twilight about it tomorrow morning. She's good with that egghead stuff. But one thing was for certain, I was gonna have to keep a pretty close eye on that colt.

PreviousChapters Next