• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 2,186 Views, 106 Comments

Emerald's Struggle - The Zebra Hybrid



A strange unicorn moves into Ponyville for a new life, but will he be welcomed with open hooves? Or will he be turned away like always?

  • ...
11
 106
 2,186

Chapter 10

Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns
15 Years Ago

A young Emerald sat alone at a lunch table, watching the other unicorn fillies and colts play together. Sunset had to stay home with Sunburst due to him catching the flu. He sighed as he ate his sandwich, at least Blueblood didn't decide to pick on him today as usual....that's a plus. Maybe he should ask to call his mom to pick him up early, it wouldn't be the first time. However that would mean he would miss a half of day of school and he did not want to get behind on his studies. He groaned as he put his head on the table. He could try to make some new friends....but who else? Almost all of the other ponies in class barely want to talk to him and the rest are like Blueblood. It was then he actually noticed that he wasn't alone at the table. There sitting across from him was a purple unicorn filly with a dark purple mane and tail and with a pink stripe.

From where Emerald was sitting she looked just as alone as him. He also might be wrong since she was too busy reading a book to be paying attention. Well if this was a good as any chance to make a new friend it was now. He coughed to gain her attention as she looked up from the book she was reading.

"H-hi..." nervously greeted Emerald, "What are you doing?"

The filly tilted her head to the side, "Um..reading?" she answered confused.

"That's cool..."

There was an awkward silence between them.

"What's it about?"

The filly looked even more confused. Why was this strange colt talking to her? Not like she didn't enjoy the company but why talk to a book work like her? "It's a book about a stallion with two souls," answered the filly, "Each one of them trying to take control of his body"

"Cool!" beamed Emerald making the filly jump a bit,"I love stories, especially the ones about heroes saving the day and making the world a better place. My mom would read me those every night."

"You like to read too?"

"Yep! I mostly read fantasy and fiction what about you?" replied Emerald with a smile.

"I like all kinds of books, but if I had to choose it would have to be the stories with different kinds of magic. Oh! I don't think I ever got your name"

"Oh sorry! My name is..."

"Well, well.." came a voice from beside them as Emerald grit his teeth as he looked a Blueblood, "If it isn't the dirty little zebra. What happened to those two friends of here? Not here to protect you like they always do? Is that why your hanging with this pathetic book worm?"

The filly flinched at the insult and looked away sadly, "Just leave us alone Blueblood!" yelled Emerald, "We're just minding our own business!"

"And what are you going to do about it? Call your mommy? Or the teacher? You two are nothing compared to me! My magic is better, my Auntie is Celestia herself and I can make nopony miss you!" Blueblood horn started to glow and he picked up Emerald from his golden collar and lifted him close to his face, "And I'm tired of you and your friends getting in my way! I think its time I teach you a less-"

Blueblood was then his in the face by a cup of pudding splattering the contents all over his face. The other fillies and colts pointed and laughed at the bully as Blueblood screamed in a high pitch voice and ran off as he Emerald dropped to the ground making him grunt in pain. Emerald rubbed his head as he shook the dizziness from the drop as the purple filly came to his side.

"Thanks," thanked Emerald with a smile.

"Your welcome," said the filly, "I...I don't like bullies. Are you ok?"

"Y-yeah," Emerald stood up, "So...I don't think I got your name yet."

"It's Twilight. Twilight Sparkle," Twilight looked away and played with her hooves in a cute manner,"If you don't mind me asking...he called you a zebra, but aren't you an unicorn?"

Emerald nodded, "I'm Emerald Crescent and don't worry I get that a lot. I'm part unicorn and part zebra! Have the stripes to prove it." Twilight then noticed the light brown stripes on his dark brown coat and mentally slapped herself for not noticing it earlier.

"S-sorry.." he suddenly says gaining her attention.

"For what?" asked Twilight.

"For Blueblood, he usually picks on me but he turned his attention on you."

Twilight giggled, "I should be thanking you! You were the one that stood up for me, which made me stand up for you."

Emerald gave a light blush and smiled, "Alright...your welcome then."

Twilight smiled back, "Want to finish reading my book with me?"

Emerald embarrassed suddenly disappeared and a cheerful expression was replaced, "Alright!" he replied. The two sat at the table reading the book together and making small talk in between. Emerald told Twilight about his parents and how they met and also how he first met Sunset and Sunburst. Twilight told him about her brother being in the guard and how she was in the upper level classes.

The two talked for the rest of the lunch hour until the bell rang to go back to classes, The filly and colt groaned in disappointment.

"Aww! We were having so much fun!" whined Emerald.

"Yeah, hey we can always meet here tomorrow!" replied Twilight.

"Really!?"

"Yep! Just meet me here at the same spot."

"Okay I'll see you later Twilight!"

The two children parted ways before waving at each other and heading back to their classes.


Castle of Friendship
Present Day

"Emerald!" Twilight caught the zebra hybrid off guard and pulled him into a hug.

"Hey Twilight!" Emerald hugged her back, "It's great to see you again!"

Starlight looked between them with a confused and shocked expression, she was not expecting the two to already know each other.

"Wait, you two know each other?" asked Starlight.

Twilight and Emerald broke the hug and nodded, "Me and Twilight knew each other during magic school. We didn't really talk as much since we were always in different classes but we manged to find a way to have study sessions."

"Eventually though, I became to focused in my studies with Celestia that we didn't have any time to spend together." added Twilight., "Why didn't you tell me it was Emerald!"

Starlight giggled, "How was I supposed to know her was your old time friend?"

Twilight smiled, "I guess your right, well come in you two! We have a lot to catch up on Emerald."

Emerald and Starlight walked inside with Twilight shutting the door, "Thanks Twilight, to tell you the truth I didn't think I would have ever seen you again."

"Really?" said Starlight, "But if you moved here wouldn't you already know she was here?"

"Yeah, but she's a princess now. I wouldn't want to disturb her from the duties she has."

"Nonsense!" exclaimed Twilight, "My castle is open to everypony! Especially my friends, if you need anything just come knock and I'm sure you'll be coming often since you've made friends with Starlight."

Emerald chuckled, "Thanks Twilight."

"So how's your stay in Ponyville so far?"

Emerald chuckled and blushed a bit in embarrassment, "That's a funny story actually..."

Author's Note:

Hey guys! I know its been a while but I'm back! I've been thinking of making this a main project of mine rather than a side project. However I planned to make this not that long of a story.

If you guys want this longer and the story to continue, comment your ideas below!