• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 2,178 Views, 106 Comments

Emerald's Struggle - The Zebra Hybrid



A strange unicorn moves into Ponyville for a new life, but will he be welcomed with open hooves? Or will he be turned away like always?

  • ...
11
 106
 2,178

Chapter 5

Emerald looked at the clock on the stand, and saw it read five-thirty, he didn't want to get up, but the bed was to comfortable to depart from. But alas his mind won the battle, by telling him that he had to buy groceries for the kitchen. He groaned to himself as he slid out the bed and used his magic to levitate his saddlebags across his back. he only had a few hours until the party that Pinkie had said was going to happen, so he had to hurry up and get back before that happened.

The zebra-unicorn gave one final stretch before making his way out of his room and making his way down the steps of his house, he had to admit , even though he just got here he felt kind of lonely. But he quickly dismissed it as just a him being nervous about arriving to a new town and made his way out of the front door and using his magic to lock it behind him. Placing the key back in his saddlebags he started toward the ,market place hoping that most of the stands were still open.

As Emerald walked his mind began to drift back to his memories in Canterlot, he wondered how his mother was doing and also Moondancer. He still remembered the first day he applied to work for her, she wasn't really the nicest pony around but she was one of the few who actually didn't care on what he looked like and gave him a chance.


5 years ago
Canterlot

Emerald glanced at the paper that was held in his magic one more time confirming that he had the right location. It had been three years since he graduated 'Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns', although he still hadn't been able to get a job. Luckily he had the spare bits to purchase a house but it won't help if he doesn't make bits. Lemon had told him that the library had been on need of some help, he wasn't really sure at first.

The zebra unicorn believed that there was no way he could get a job at the library, if a simple cleaning service wouldn't hire him why would the library? But here he was, Emerald let out a sigh and entered the building instantly noticing the lack of ponies inside and the plethora of books stacked on the bookshelves.

"Hello? Anypony here?" Emerald called out walking down the aisle of books.

He didn't get a reply, but kept on walking. Somepony had to be here, the door was open. Maybe they went out for lunch? No that can't be right, it's only ten-thirty in the morning. It was then he turned down an aisle with books littered all over the floor and some hanging off the shelves. Showing a nervous look Emerald kept on moving forward.

"Hello?" called out Emerald again.

"Just hold on! I'm coming!" shouted a dismembered voice that made Emerald flinch a bit. He stood in the same spot before a cream colored unicorn with a red and purple mane walked from around the corner, pushing her glasses to the bridge of her nose and a tired and irritated look plastered on her facial features.

"What do you want?" she says in a disguised tone.

Emerald gives her a curious look, "I'm here for the job offer?"

"You are? Why would you want a job like this?"

"Uhh....because I need bits. Are you doing okay?"

The mare rolls her eyes, "Does it look like I'm okay!? Oh yeah, I can totally run a library this big by myself I don't need any help at all."

"Well, there's no need to be sarcastic about it." snapped back Emerald.

The mare gave him a stern look through her glasses, "And why not?"

"Well, I don't know, but that's what i'm trying to find out!"

"Then if you must know, all the ponies that WAS working here quit! Leaving me by myself! Those ungrateful bastards!"

Emerald put his hooves up in defense as an effort to calm down the raging mare, "Hey, hey how about you go and get some air and try to clear your head."

The mare scoffed at him,"Pssh, and who's going to watch the li-" the unicorn was cut off as all the books in the area were encased in a yellow glow and were levitated back on the shelves leaving a clean, neat aisle of books. The mare's eyes widened in shock it was as if there wasn't a mess in the first place! And all the books were in the correct spots as well.


"I can look over the place," suggested Emerald with a smile, "but you need some rest."

For the first time Emerald actually saw the mare smile, "You're right, thank you. I-I'm sorry for how I acted earlier....I'm afraid I didn't catch your name."

"No worries," grinned Emerald, "My name is Emerald, Emerald Crescent."

"It's nice to meet you Emerald, I am Moondancer, but back on the topic at hand. Are you sure you can handle this by yourself? I don't want you to be stressed when I see you tomorrow."

"Don't worry I-...wait, did you say 'when you see me tomorrow? Does that mean-.."

"Yes, you have the job."


Present
Ponyville

"I'll have to make sure to send mom and Moondancer a letter letting them know I made it in alright." Emerald said to himself as he walked through the markets. From the looks of it, most of the stands had already closed down for the day much to his disappointment, "I guess we'll just have to come back tomorrow morning."

As the zebra turned around he collided with somepony walking his way knocking the two both over in opposite directions. The force called Emerald's saddle bags to fall out off his back. Still feeling dazed Emerald still didn't notice the pony standing before him, whom he just knocked over. Once he came too his eyes widened in surprise, the first thing he noticed was the light grey fur and black stripes, then the golden rings along the forelegs and neck with earrings.

Emerald slowly got back to his hooves, still observing the zebra in front of him, his yellow eyes staring at her turquoise ones and from the look of it she seemed to be surprised as well. The unicorn suddenly realized he had been staring blushed a bit, "S-sorry. about that," started Emerald rubbing the back of his head, "I wasn't paying attention."

The zebra shook her head with a smile, "It is alright there is no need to apologize, but I was not paying attention as well and was simply taken by surprise."

Emerald looked in confusion at the rhyming tone, but decided against himself to ask about it. He wondered if most zebras talked in rhyme or if it is just specific ones. A cough snapped him from his thoughts as he focused his attention back on the zebra, "Are you alright, you seem to be frozen by fright?" she asks.

"No, I'm fine..it's just...this is my first time seeing another zebra."

"Ahhh, so you are a zebra as well, may I ask how you became to dwell?"

Emerald nodded and started from where his mom, Lemon Pine who was a unicorn maid, met his dad, Zanzabar who was a zebra guard, during a royal meeting with princess Celestia; to their first date; to being married; and then him being born. Although his mood suddenly changed when he mentioned the passing of his father and him being harassed back in Canterlot. The zebra gave him a sympathetic look.

"I am deeply sorry for your troubled past, is there anything I can do to make any happiness last?"

Emerald shook his head, "No...actually I was looking for a pony named Zecora for a job, I talked to her via letter last week saying that I could work for her and that she lived somewhere in here in Ponyville."

The zebra let out a chuckle as Emerald gave her a look in confusion, "Is something the matter?" he asked coking his head to the side.

"Ahem," coughed the zebra regaining her focus, "It is funny I must tell the truth, for I am Zecora that stands before you."

Emerald did a double take back, "W-well, it's nice to finally meet you! I'm Emerald Crescent and it'll be nice to be working with you."

"Thank you you for the nice meeting, when I first came here I did not get such a greeting."

"Really? Everypony here seems so nice."

The zebra known as Zecora nods, "They were at first afraid and left me alone, but after an apologetic conversation I was soon accepted into their home."

It was at that moment when Zecora said 'home' when it clicked in his mind, Emerald resisted the urge to facehoof as he noticed that he had to get back home and write the letter and send it off to his mom and Moondancer. Moving quickly he levitated his saddlebags and placed them over his back and placed the spilled materials back inside.

Zecora watched in curiosity as the zebra hybrid hurriedly strapped on his saddlebags, "Hey Zecora, I almost forgot I have to send my folks back in Canterlot and tell them i'm alright."

Zecora nodded in understanding, "That is quite alright my friend, I bid you farewell and can't wait 'till we meet again."

"Thanks Zecora." said Emerald before galloping off toward his house. As he was running he took a one more glance back at the zebra and flashed a smile before focusing his attention back on the path in front of him. he hadn't even noticed the sun setting and the moon starting to rise, he just hoped he could make it home in time before it was too late.

He knew how protective his mother was over him and he had to admit it scared him sometimes. Like the one time he took her out for lunch and was stopped by a guard who accused the zebra of stealing from a random store he hasn't even been too. It was not a nice day for him when Lemon found out it was all a misunderstanding.

Emerald snapped himself from his thoughts as he made it to his front door, he was such in a rush he didn't even noticed that the door was already unlocked and the windows closed. Not to mention that the inside was pitch black, quickly grabbing his saddlebags on the ground and shutting the door behind him he used his magic to flip the switch of the nearest light then-


SURPRISE!!!!

And fall right on his back.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait! The main characters will be making an appearance next chapter for those who have been asking.

As usual comment down below on what you think, I t really helps me get motivated to update more earlier.