• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 2,179 Views, 106 Comments

Emerald's Struggle - The Zebra Hybrid



A strange unicorn moves into Ponyville for a new life, but will he be welcomed with open hooves? Or will he be turned away like always?

  • ...
11
 106
 2,179

Chapter 6

Emerald opened his eyes, and immediately closed them due to the bright white light, he opened them more slowly this time to get a better look at where he was. He was in a bed, but not his bed. The zebra-unicorn looker to his right to see a desk with a vase of flowers on top, and judging from the white sheets and blankets, and tiles, he was in a hospital room. He groaned as he lifted himself up and looked toward the clock on the wall.

"I've been out all night?" Emerald asked himself, "What happened?"

He winced as he felt his hoof touch the back of his head causing it to let a sting in response. Emerald looked to the nearby window and noticed his reflection had bandages around his head. He sat himself up still groaning from the pain in his head, the sound of a door opening caught his attention as a mare with a white coat, pink mane made into a bun, and blue eyes walked in. The mare's eyes met his and she let out a warm smile.

"I see you're finally awake." said the mare.

"Ugh," groaned Emerald, "What happened?"

"You took a fall and a blow to the head. Luckily Pinkie was there to bring you here."

"Oh.."

"But don't worry. You should be able to leave this afternoon, but in the mean time I brought you some breakfast."

Emerald watched as the mare walked in, judging by the hat on her head she was a nurse. He observed her as she brought over a tray filled with an apple, a piece of toast, and a glass of juice. The nurse sat the tray in his lap with a smile, the zebra's thoughts wondered back to last night, he felt kind of embarrassed at what happened. His first impression and now he was going to be known as the pony who almost got a concussion and sent to the hospital.

"Are you alright?" asked the nurse snapping Emerald form his thoughts.'

"Huh? Y-yeah, thank you for the food." thanked Emerald.

"No need to thank me, I'm just doing my job. But if you don't mind me asking..."

"Don't worry I get this question a lot," says Emerald, "Yes, I'm part zebra, from my dad's side while I'm a unicorn from my mom's."

"Interesting...oh my..how rude of me I didn't even introduce myself and here I am questioning you," said the nurse as she extended a hoof, "Ahem...I am Nurse Redheart, but you can just call me Redheart."

Emerald shook her hoof with his, "It's nice to meet you Redheart, I'm Emerald Crescent."

"It's nice to meet you Emerald." replied Redheart with a smile.


2 hours later

Emerald walked out the hospital, head still bandaged up, squinting a bit as the afternoon sun struck his face. He had gotten to know Redheart a lot more during his time in the hospital. She sure wasn't like any of the nurses back in Canterlot, all they cared about was their pay check at the end of the day, but unlike them she actually made him comfortable. His thoughts traveled to his mom back in Canterlot and sighed, she was going to have a fit if she found out that he ended up going to the hospital on his first day here.

Emerald chuckled at the thought of his over-protective mother, he started to walk back to his house ignoring the looks he got from other ponies as he walked by. They would usually make him nervous and bother him, but he soon got used to it the longer he stayed in Canterlot, plus he had some friends that had his back.

"That reminds me," Emerald says to himself, "I should send a letter to Sunburst and see how's he doing. Last time I heard he was doing some important stuff in the Crystal Empire."

As he walked up to the door to his house he stopped for a second remembering last night and he did not want to make a second trip to the hospital. He slowly enveloped the nob with a magical yellow aura and carefully opened the door, to his surprised his house was actually clean from the party decorations.

Save for the lone letter on his table.

"What's this?" asks Emerald as he picked up the letter from the table and opening it.

Dear Emerald,

I am super super super super sorry about what happened! I didn't mean to hurt you! I took you to the hospital and told Redheart to make you feel better. To make it up to you I made you a super deluxe chocolate cake in your fridge and I'll be throwing another party for you! But it's just going to be a small one with only me and friends! Maybe gummy too!

Anyways I hope we can be super duper friends!

Your soon to be bestest bestie,

Pinkie Pie!

Emerald chuckled at the letter and place back on the table. he made his way over to the kitchen and opened his fridge and was surprised to actually see a chocolate cake sitting there. It was nice actually meeting new ponies who were nice to him, he snorted at the thought of a sudden Prince living in Canterlot castle. His mom was always telling him about how Blueblood treated the maids and that he actually tried to hit at her once.

Luckily Sunset was there at the time to stop him.

He sighed at the thought of his old best friend, it still pained him to see her leave and till this day. He had to admit he did have a small crush on the unicorn, but he didn't have the courage to tell her how he really felt due to the fear of him messing up the friendship they already had.

"Me, Sunset, and Sunburst," Emerald said quietly, "Those were the days."


15 years ago
Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns

"Are you sure were supposed to be adding that?" asked a young Emerald.

"Of course!" replied a young Sunburst.

"I don't know," said a young Sunset, "It doesn't say that on the directions."

The three foals were currently working as a group in their potion making class, following the directions on making a type of special serum. Sunburst had decided that the directions was explaining the method wrong and decided to do it himself, much to Emerald's and Sunsets protests.

"And now a pinch of dust." said Sunburst as he put the ingredient in the test tube in front of him.

"Sunburst maybe we should start following the directions." Suggested Sunset.

"No! All these calculations are all wrong! The dandelion should be placed in before the ivy, while we mix the crushed crystals with the roses."

"But the teacher made the instructions himself?" added Emerald, "And he's smarter than us."

"Come on Em!" said Sunburst as Emerald gave him a glare at that nickname, Sunset and Sunburst always used that nickname on him to get him to do stuff. He was embarrassed by it, he maybe a colt, but he was no foal!

"FIne..." sighed Emerald.

"Alright! How about you couz?" asked Sunburst to Sunset.

"Ok I guess we'll follow your lead, but if this ends up as a bust it's all on you!" warned Sunset.

"Alright! Alright! Now just a drop of hot sauce-"

"Hot sauce?" asked Emerald, "Where did you get hot sauce from?"

"I brought it here for my lunch!" answered Sunburst with pride, "Good thing I brought it too."

Sunburst put a drop of the hot sauce in the bottle and Emerald's and Sunset's eyes both widened when they saw the bottle start to glow in rainbow colors. The zebra colt couldn't believe that it actually worked and that his teacher, Mr. Haze, was actually wrong.

"Wow!" Emerald and Sunset say at the same time.

"Don't cheer yet!" exclaims Sunburst as me and Sunset look in confusion, "It's not done yet! Emerald I need you to do a tiny zap in the bottle."

"Really?" asks Emerald, "Because I think it's already done."

"Yes really! Do it!"

"Wait Emerald, maybe we should-" Sunset tried to say but it was too late.


*spark*

BOOM


Present Day
Emerald's House

The zebra unicorn, chuckled at the memory, Mr. Haze had told the three of them to clean up the mess they had made in the classroom and got detention for not following directions. Sunset sure chewed Emerald and him out for not thinking things through that's for sure, he really missed them, Sunset the most though. He could visit Sunburst anytime he wanted since he hadn't seen him since he graduated, but Sunset....he doesn't even know where she went.

"Come on Emerald," Emerald says to himself, "You had a long day yesterday and just got out the hospital, no need to being a downer."


The zebra hybrid then levitated a piece of cake from the fridge and sat down at his dining table and hummed in delight as the flavor met his tongue. His thoughts automatically went back to Sunset as he smiled to himself.

"Where ever she is. I hope she's happy."

Author's Note:

Hello guys I am so sorry for that late chapter! Expect the next one to be out sooner than you think! Anyways, Redheart is introduced and we see a little more backstory from Emerald!

I was also thinking on doing a side story with Sunset meeting the human counter part of Emerald, but what do you guys think? I'm all ears!:derpytongue2:

As usual comment on what you think below! It always helps!:pinkiehappy: