• Published 3rd Apr 2016
  • 2,178 Views, 106 Comments

Emerald's Struggle - The Zebra Hybrid



A strange unicorn moves into Ponyville for a new life, but will he be welcomed with open hooves? Or will he be turned away like always?

  • ...
11
 106
 2,178

Chapter 9

Canterlot


The sound of knocking caught the attention of Lemon Pine's ears, as she was doing laundry. While humming a quite tone she placed down the cloths and made her way to the front door. She was pleased to find Moondancer on the other side, with a warm smile pasted on her face. Moondancer was always a joy when she came over, and she was especially grateful for her to give her son a job at the library not caring for his heritage. She still wondered to this day why her son never asked her out yet.

"Moondancer dear," greeted Lemon, "What brings you here?"

"Hello Mrs. Pine, just stopping by to check in on you." replied Moondancer with a warm smile.

"Why thank you sweetheart, come on in. Your no stranger in this house."

Moondancer nodded and followed the yellow mare inside, she noticed that nothing had really changed since her last visit. She spotted the pictures on the walls with some of them being of Emerald when he was young. She had to admit he was a cute kid, but from what he and his mother told he didn't have enough friends and he was being picked on constantly.

"So how is it at the library?" asked Lemon snapping Moondancer from her thoughts.

"Oh...it's going fine. Just a little quiet with Emerald being gone." said Moondancer.

"I can relate, but a bird has to leave the nest sometime or later."

"Did he make it to Ponyville alright?"

"Of course, I just recently got his letter this morning, but there was a slight complication when he first got there though."

"Really? What was it?"

"Well, he did have to spend a night in the hospital-"

"What!? Is he okay!?" exclaimed Moondancer in a concerned voice making Lemon giggle.

"He's fine, just a little bump on the noggin," explained Lemon as Moondancer sighed in relief, "You know I'm kind of surprised."

"Huh? Surprised about what Mrs. Pine?"

"That you an Emerald aren't dating."

Moondancer choked on her own breath as Lemon finished her sentence, she felt the blood rush to head as her cheeks began to heat up with a heavy blush. She didn't really thin of Emerald that why, don't get her wrong, he is a handsome looking stallion. But they were just co-workers and good friends, and even if she did feel some kind of attraction would he ever share those feelings back? To be honest with herself she did get a tiny bit jealous when Sunset was here and would always visit Emerald at the library, and she was a tiny bit relieved when she left. Moondancer shook her head from the thoughts as her blush began brighter. No Emerald is just a friend.

"Moon sweeties, I was just kidding." suddenly said Lemon Pine snapping the cream colored unicorn from her thoughts.

"Y-yes, of course," stuttered Moondancer trying to figure out what to say, "Emerald is a good friend, no offense to you Mrs.Pine, but I don't think he's my type."

Lemon giggled at hoe flustered the unicorn was, she was young too and she knew Moondancer cared for her son more than she thought, Even if the librarian didn't want to admit it. It wasn't her place to interfere with love though, this was something she had to figure out on her own.

"That's perfectly fine dear," replied Lemon, "Just remember that if you like a stallion, don't wait too long." explained Lemon as Moon nodded, "Well, enough chit-chat how about you help me with breakfast?"

"I would love too."


Ponyville

Emerald made his way down the road of Ponyville taking in the surroundings, he never really got a chance to do that due to the events that had happened yesterday. He recognized Sugar Cube Corner, which Pinkie had told him where she worked at and also the hospital where Redheart's job was. The zebra hybrid took in the other sights the town had to offer from small cafes to a shop called 'Quills and Sofa's' which kind of confused him in many ways but decided not to think to hard on it.

As he made his way down he tried to avoid the looks he got from other ponies, but to his surprise they weren't a look of hate or disgust like in Canterlot, but one of curiosity and interest. I guess it could make sense, out of all the stuff that happened in Ponyville since the return of Nightmare Moon, it would make sense for them to be curious. He waved and greeted some of the ponies he walked by which they happily greeted back and went about their business.

Emerald looked in front of him as the familiar crystal like tree came into view. It wasn't exactly hard to find since the castle towered over Ponyville like some sort of beacon. He was kind of surprised that the castle had no guards, wouldn't a Princess need one? No wonder Ponyville was always getting attacked. As he got closer his eyes widened at how big the castle actually was and from what he experienced from Canterlot Castle is that it's actually bigger in the inside than the outside.

He had to be honest he was kind of nervous on coming here for Starlight. If it had been just a regular house he would have been okay, but to actually knock on a Princesses door! And this was only his second day here! He slowly lifted his hoof a gave three powerful knocks and began to wait. He shifted around nervously waiting for the door to open looking around at his surroundings as his heart rate began to sky rocket.The large door then began to crack open as Emerald held his breath for a second.

He let out a sigh of relief to see Starlight on the other side of the door. She must of noticed as she was giving him a confused smile, but he didn't mind.

"Hey Emerald, nice of you to make it. Are you okay?" she asked.

"No, I'm fine just...a little nervous." he replied.

"You're nervous!" exclaimed Starlight, "I'm the one who should be nervous, you're not the one taking friendship lessons."

"Well, it's not like your being graded."

"You'd be surprised."

"Really? What's to grade about friendship?"

"A lot trust me," the two shared a brief laugh, "Come on in I'm sure Twilight will be glad to meet you."

Emerald nods and follows Starlight inside and looks in awe at his surroundings. He knew that this was a crystal castle but literally almost everything is made of crystal! This was definitely different from the times his mom had taken him to Canterlot castle for work.


15 years ago
Canterlot Castle

A young Emerald sat in a lone chair in the hallway watching his mother cleaning various furniture and antiques. He had to come with his mom for work today since school was closed and there was no one to watch him at home. But why would anypony need to watch him he's a big colt who can take care of himself.

"Come on Emerald we have to go to the next room." called out Lemon, his mother.

"Okay, mommy!" said Emerald as he hopped down from the chair and went to his mother's side. He stuck as close to her as possible so he wouldn't lose her. He cowered behind her every time a guard walked by and looked at him with a suspicious stare, his mother noticed and sent one back at the guards we walked pass telling them to back off. He wished he had something to do, Emerald doubt that he would be able to talk with Celestia again since she probably has Princess stuff to do.

Wait, what about Sunset? She does come to castle for her lessons with Celestia. But it was the weekend though, which meant she wasn't here. He pouted at the thought which didn't go unnoticed by his mother.

"Don't worry Emerald, just about thirty minutes we'll be done." explained Lemon.

"But you said that an hour ago!" whined Emerald.

"I promise, this time I mean it."

Emerald just nodded as they made their way to their location, which was a lone bedroom, and his mom getting started on her maid work. Emerald sat in another chair and continued to watch his mother. His eyes grew heavy as he thought it wouldn't be bad if he closed his eyes for a while.


Twilight's Castle
Present Day

Emerald smiled at the memory as him and Starlight came to a large door, he instantly assumed that the Princess of Friendship was on the other side waiting for them. Before Starlight opened the door though he called out to her.

"Hey Starlight." Emerald called out gaining her attention.

"Yeah?" she answered.

"I just want to say thanks, for making me feel welcome."

"D-Don't worry about it Emerald," blushed Starlight, "Plus I wasn't the only one."

"Yeah, but I still appreciate it."

"But I should be thanking you."

"How?"

"Because you're one of the few to view me who I am now, instead of the past."

Emerald smiled, "No problem, I was never one to judge based on past mistakes."

Starlight smiled and pushed open the door motioning Emerald to follow her which he did. He observed the circular table with six seats around with what looked like cutie marks on each seat. In on occupied a lavender alicorn with a a dark purple mane and a pink streak and a six pointed star as a cutie mark, it looked like she was looking over various papers and note.s not noticing the two ponies entering the room.

"Hey Twilight," called out Starlight, "Here is the friend I was telling you about."

"Great Starlight! I can't wait to hear-" stated Twilight as she looked up only for here eyes to widen as she saw the familiar face of the zebra in the room, "Emerald?"

Author's Note:

Hey guys PLEASE don't kill me for the long wait and that cliffhanger! But I hope you guys enjoyed!

Comment on what you think!:pinkiehappy: