• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 2,982 Views, 243 Comments

A Search for Something More - HAKDurbin



Rough Draft is a senior in Canterlot High who writes fan fiction and dreams of finding love. He's also the only person in the entire school who still doesn't believe that Sunset Shimmer is reformed.

  • ...
31
 243
 2,982

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45: Surpises at the Sweet Apple Acres Barn

I didn't hear from Sunset since she walked me to my door last night. I sent her text messages in the morning just to check on her, but as of now, it's 3:41 in the afternoon, and she still hasn't replied. Part of me wants to think she's busy working on the party at Sweet Apple Acres for me and Sonata, which is at six tonight, but I can't shake the feeling that she still has her mind wrapped around Lyra and Bon Bon's words. Eventually, I had enough and started texting the other Rainbooms to see if she's alright. Fluttershy, Applejack, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie responded, saying they haven't heard from her today, but Rarity replied sometime later telling me she saw her at Carousel Boutique getting ready for the party and said she seemed fine.

Eventually, I hear a knock on the front door from my second-floor room and come downstairs curiously to find Soarin on the other side.

"Hey, Soarin," I say. "What's up?"

"I was hoping you could tell me," Soarin answers. "Got a call from Rainbow Dash saying that you've been texting her and the rest of the girls about Sunset not answering your text messages."

I frown at this and gesture him to come in and close the door once he comes inside.

"So what's going on, bro?" Soarin asks.

I sigh before I answer.

"Did you hear about what happened to Caramel last night?" I ask.

"Oh yeah," Soarin says with a proud grin. "I can't wait to congratulate Caramel for finally confessing his feelings and getting together with AJ."

A small smile escapes my face before my frown returns.

"Yeah, it was pretty amazing," I say. "But shortly after AJ and Caramel left, Sunset decided to stay and thank Lyra and Bon Bon for taking part in rescuing me from Adagio and Aria, but then things got out of hand."

"What do you mean?" Soarin asks, concerned.

"Lyra and Bon Bon were taunting Sunset over how she wasn't there to save me," I say frustratingly. "They were making fun of how she can save the world and help Applejack track the two of them down when they kidnapped Caramel, but she couldn't save me at that warehouse or when I almost fell into that portal. I tried to defend her, but in the end, she said to let it go and forced us to leave. She was down during the whole walk to my front porch. She said she's still worried that she may never be able to protect me, and it's been haunting her for a while now, and I wish I could get her out of her sad state."

Soarin doesn't say anything for a moment. Then he runs his fingers through his head and sighs heavily.

"I don't know what to tell you, man, this sounds like a toughie," he says.

"You think?" I ask. "She's been feeling this way ever since I explained to her what happened at the warehouse. It's like she's more worried than ever that something worse than the Dazzlings or Midnight Sparkle will happen all because she brought magic into our world. I thought I convinced her not to worry about it, but as soon as Lyra and Bon Bon verbally attacked her, she was back to feeling down. It frustrates me that I can't seem to help her."

Soarin sighs again and pats me in the back.

"I wish I knew what to say, Rough Draft," he says sympathetically. "What can anyone say to cheer up a girlfriend who was a magical pony and then became a demon who technically did cause everything that has happened this whole school year."

I give my friend an unamused glare.

"Oh gee, you're really helping," I say sarcastically.

"Sorry, man, I'm just being honest," Soarin says sadly. "I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe there's nothing that you can do but give her space. Besides, Rainbow Dash did say she seemed fine when she Rarity texted back to you, so if that's so, then why worry?"

I frown at his suggestion. Then I take my locket that's hanging from my neck and open it to stare at the picture of me, Sunset, and her rose on Valentine's day. Normally, it brings a smile on my face to see her so happy in the picture, but now it just makes me miss seeing her like that.

"I guess you're right," I say reluctantly. "Though I won't feel better until I see her as okay as Rarity says she is tonight."

"Understood, bro," Soarin says. "Speaking of which, do you know if we're supposed to dress up for the party."

"No. Why?" I ask, confused.

"Well, according to Rainbow, Sunset came to Carousel Boutique to pick up an outfit when Rarity saw her, and Rarity was a little excited for her to wear it," Soarin says.

I stare at my friend even more confused.

"I don't think it would be formal if it's taking place at Sweet Apple Acres of all places," I say. "And I think Sunset would have informed me when she told me about the party."

"Makes sense," Soarin says. "Still, if your girl is planning on wearing something nice, I'd recommend at least a nice polo shirt or something just to be safe."

"Yeah, that's probably a good idea," I say. "Say, we got a while before the party, do you want to -"

"Kick your sorry butt in Jedi Outcast multiplayer?" Soarin asks with a confident grin as he takes his laptop from his backpack.

"I was going to say let you try to kick my butt, but we can pretend you said that," I say with my own confident grin.




****************************************************************************************




After about an hour and a half of playing video games, Soarin and I decide to get ready for the party. He waits outside while I change into a black polo shirt and grab my phone. Before I leave my room, however, I see the box containing the present I bought for Sunset before I was kidnapped on top of my desk. I stare at it as the wheels turn in my head, and a small grin grows on my face.

"Maybe this will help somehow," I say to myself as I grab the small box and put it in my pocket before I leave.

The walk to Sweet Apple Acres is mostly Soarin and I talking about playing Jedi Outcast before we make it to the front door of the Apple's house right at 6, only to find a note on the door saying to come to the barn. We shrug and curiously walk over to the barn, but before either of us reach for the barn door, it bursts open to reveal Pinkie Pie with an excited grin.

"There's our other person of the hour," she says as she grabs my hand and yanks me inside with Soarin walking right behind us, chuckling.

Pinkie Pie drags me to the center of the barn, which is decorated with balloons, streamers, a disco ball hanging from the ceiling, and a couple of tables piled with food. Applejack, Caramel, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Big Mac, Fluttershy, Granny Smith, and Sonata are already here. Granny, Applejack, and Apple Bloom are helping themselves with some of the food while Big Mac is talking to Caramel with Fluttershy's arms wrapped around her boyfriend. Sonata is just sitting on a haystack daydreaming until she sees us.

"There's my buddy!" she says excitedly as she runs over to give me a big hug.

"Hey, what about me?" Soarin demands.

"And hi to you too, Soarin," Sonata says bubbly hugging Soarin back. "Anyway, welcome to the party, guys."

"Thanks, Sonny, but where are the others?" I ask scanning for Sunset.

"Oh, don't worry, your romantic little head, Rough Draft," Sonata answers with a smug look, knowing full well what I meant. "Sunset will be along. She just called earlier to say that she has some errands to run, and will be a little late."

I frown and this news, wanting to see my girlfriend now, but nod in understanding before Sonata takes my hand and drags me to one of the food tables.

"Try my new fruit punch," Sonata suggests, "Applejack and Granny have been teaching me how to make better fruit punch. Spoiler alert, there's no grape juice at all, unlike the one I made some during the Battle of the Bands."

I chuckle before politely accepting a cup of fruit punch from Sonata. I take a sip, and it tastes exactly like Apple cider.

"Uh, Sonata, are you sure this is meant to be fruit punch?" I ask.

"Well come to think of it, I don't remember us putting any other juices it in besides apple juice," Sonata answers absent-mindedly, making Soarin and I look at each other with smug looks.

"Hey, who's ready to party?" shouts a voice coming from the barn entrance and we turn to see Rainbow Dash coming in like she's making a grand entrance. Twilight, Sweetie Belle and Rarity follow behind Rainbow Dash with Twilight holding Spike and Rarity wearing a blue and yellow dress, showing it off like a model as she walks.

"Rarity, you didn't have to dress up like that," Applejack ridicules. "It's just a party in our barn."

"I know, darling, but I just couldn't resist," Rarity states. "After helping a client with her gown earlier today, I just couldn't help but want to show off another one of my latest creations."

"What fancy-schmancy client was this?" Granny Smith asks.

"I'm so sorry, but that is confidential information," Rarity says. "Contrary to belief, some people want a second chance at keeping a secret."

Granny and Applejack were both about to comment on Rarity's words until everyone hears Sonata squeal loudly in excitement.

"Is this Spike the talking dog?" She asks Twilight excitedly, making the former Crystal Prep student take a step back.

"Um, yes, yes, he is," she says uncomfortably.

"And you must be Sonata," Spike presumes.

"Aw, he really does talk! He's so cute!" Sonata squeaks as she starts petting Spike vigorously until Spike licks her in the face so she can stop.

"Hey, take it easy," he says. "Not so much petting at once."

"Sorry," Sonata says sheepishly while she puts her hands behind her back, making us chuckle at her cute embarrassment.



**************************************************************************************



It's been an hour and a half, and there's still no sign of Sunset. I'm enjoying the party with everyone fine, but I still feel uneasy about not seeing my girlfriend yet. Sonata and the others have been doing their best to keep me happy, but it's getting harder to enjoy myself the longer it's been even though the party is half for me.

Suddenly, as I was drinking some 'punch' and talking with Soarin and Caramel, we hear some rapid footsteps coming towards the barn entrance. Everyone turns to the entrance curiously, before Sunset burst the doors open.

"Hey, everyone, sorry I'm late," she says. "Had some stuff going on that took longer than expected."

But no one says a word. Everyone, except Rarity, stares at her with mouths agape, surprised with what she's wearing: a long, black dress with a red ribbon wrapped around the waist and black and red high heel boots. I am staring at her in amazement while she turns to me and smiles lovingly with her yellow cheeks turning red as she walks over to me. Soarin and Caramel back away to give us space as Sunset keeps walking until we are inches apart with our eyes locked on to each other. We stand still until Sunset gives me her signature smirk.

"Staring at each other: check," she announces.

I snap out of my gaze, confused.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"Well, given that it is half your big night and there's no Spring Fling this year, I thought we could make this our Spring Fling," she explains. "So I asked Rarity to make a dress that I knew you'd like and gave Soarin the implication through Rainbow Dash that you might need to dress up a little. I must say, I never thought you'd look so good in a black polo shirt. I should have convinced you to wear them more often ages ago."

I blush at her words before I shake my head to snap out of it.

"So, what's the next step?" I ask.

Before Sunset can answer, the music suddenly stops, and everyone turns to Pinkie Pie, who is changing the music on her phone that is attached to the stereo. She presses a few buttons until soft music plays. Without any words, Big Mac and Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Soarin and even Applejack with a bashful Caramel walk over to the center of the barn and begin slow dancing. Sunset and I turn to each other and smile. I place my left hand behind my back and kiss her hand with my right before escorting her to the dance floor. I put my hands on her hips, and she wraps her arms around my neck, and we move slowly back and forth, never leaving our gazes at one another.

"So, are you feeling better after last night?" I ask.

Sunset hesitates for a moment before she calmly says, "I think I'm going to be."

"You think?" I ask, concerned.

"It's a little hard to explain," she says. "But can we please not talk about it? Let's just focus on us having a wonderful night tonight that we will never forget."

I hesitate for a few seconds before I smile back at her.

"You're right," I say. "Just you and me on the dance floor."

Sunset smiles brightly before she leans in for a tender kiss. When we part, we lean our foreheads against each other as we continue to stare at each other lovingly as we dance. I can feel my heart melting at the sight of the love in her eyes. To think that this was something I wanted with her a year ago, and now we’re getting what we both desired surrounded by our friends who have become like family for both of us. My smile grows as it hits me more how wonderful this moment is right now. When the music stops, everyone stops dancing, but I take this as an opportunity to give Sunset a sweet and meaningful kiss. She lets out a quiet moan as she caresses my cheek and kisses me back before Granny Smith interrupts our moment.

"Alright, alright, alright, you youngsters, enough with the romantic stuff for a moment," she says eagerly. "Right now, the Apples have an announcement to make this evening."

Everyone turns to Granny, Apple Bloom, Applejack and Big Mac who have separated from their respective dance partners to stand next to Granny before she clears her throat.

"Would Sonata Dusk please step forward?" Granny Smith calls.

Sonata, who is sitting next to Twilight and happily petting Spike, turns her head to look at Granny, confused. She curiously walks over to the Apples family and asks, "What's up, Granny?"

Granny Smith just smiles as Applejack brings a folded chair and sets it in front of them.

"Take a seat," she instructs.

Sonata curiously obeys and sits down facing Me, Sunset, Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Spike, Soarin, Rainbow Dash, and Caramel while Applejack, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom surround her from behind and Granny kneels next to her.

"Sonny," Granny Smith begins placing her hand on Sonata's shoulder. "You've been living with us for about six months now, and though settling in hasn't always been easy, I can speak for my other grandkids that it's been a joy and a blessing to have you here. Lord knows we couldn't be happier knowing that you're safe after your poorly called 'sisters' were captured again."

Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Big Mac make words of agreement while the rest of us are confused by some of Granny Smith's choice of words.

"Other grandkids, Granny?" she asks, puzzled.

Granny Smith just smiles and says, "Well, after looking after ya for so long, the four of us had a talk and agreed shortly after you left, and so we want to ask ya a big question."

Sonata looks at Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Big Mac as curious and confused as ever before turning to Granny, who takes her hand and asks something the rest of us did not expect.

"Sonata Dusk, would you like to become an Apple?"

Everyone stares at the Apple family speechless. Sunset and I look at each other shocked while Soarin and Caramel are whispering to each other as to whether or not they heard Granny Smith correctly. Fluttershy and Rarity look at each other with their mouths hanging open while Twilight and Spike just stare at the family in surprise. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo gasp loudly, and even Pinkie Pie stares at Granny in shock, frozen like a statue. But no one in the room is more shocked than Sonata herself.

"W-wa-wa-wa-what did you say?" she stutters.

"We'd like to adopt ya, Sonny," Applejack answers for Granny Smith. "It would take about six months before it would become legally official, but we would be adopting ya as Granny's granddaughter and our new sister."

"Please say yes, it would mean a lot to us," Apple Bloom says, smiling.

"Eeyup," Big Mac concurs.

Sonata keeps looking at each of the Apple family members in shock. She then turns to the rest of us for help, and we all nod, smiling. Then she turns back to Granny Smith, and her face of shock turns into one of joy.

"Yes!" she shouts. "Yes, yes, a million times, yes! I would love to be an Apple!"

Everyone cheers as Sonata stands up, and she and the Apples start hugging her happily. I notice tears of joy streaming down Sonata's face as she embraces her new family with all her might. I wrap my arm around Sunset, and she lays her head on my shoulder as we enjoy watching this beautiful moment.

"Three cheers for the soon-to-be new member of the Apple family!" Pinkie Pie shouts.

We all cheer for Sonata as we run over to her and say our words of congratulations before Pinkie Pie eventually says, "Now what are we standing around for? Let's get this party really started!"

Without another word, she plays dance music from her phone, and we begin dancing wildly to the music, our partying spirit more lively than before.




*********************************************************************************************




After about another hour of partying, everyone starts to feel tired. Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Rainbow Dash, Soarin, Scootaloo, Twilight, and Spike have already gone home while Fluttershy stays with Big Mac, Caramel stays with Applejack and Sunset, and I start slow dancing again at our request to Pinkie Pie. Granny Smith leaves the barn entrance open to show the moon shining brightly as Sunset, and I dance back and forth in a hugging position with her head snuggled onto my chest.

"What a surprise, huh?" I whisper to her.

"Yeah, it was a wonderful surprise," she says without looking at me. "And the moon looks so beautiful tonight."

"Yeah, it does," I say as we both romantically admire the moonlight. "I don't think we would have gotten this view if we had the Spring Fling this year."

"No, we wouldn't have," Sunset agrees before she happily sighs. "But I'm so happy it's there to shine above us. I don't know how you can improve a romantic moment like this."

I smile and kiss the top of her head before I remember what I have inside my pocket.

"Actually, I think I'm going to try," I announce as I break our hugging position. Sunset looks at me curiously as I take the small black box from my pocket.

"This is what I was getting before the...incident with Adagio and Aria," I explain. "I noticed that your rose is starting to wilt, and we both know it's not going to last forever, so I decided to give you something that will. I was kind of saving this for a special occasion, but after everything that's happened since then, I decided now is the best time."

I open the box, and Sunset gasps with her hands covering her mouth as she stares at it. Inside is a ruby necklace shaped like a rose. It has black lines to show the edges of the petals and small emeralds on the short stem and leaf at the bottom. I take it out of the box to show the thin, silver chain the jewel is hanging around.

"R-rough Draft, how could you afford this?" Sunset asks, shocked.

"Oh, Sunburst Jewelry had another sale on ruby necklaces, and it was a price I was able to afford this time," I say proudly.

"But why?" she asks.

"Let's just say this is renewing my promise to you on Valentine's Day," I explain. "When I gave you that rose, I promised that it was going to be the first of many from the person that you will find someday, not knowing that I was the person you wanted to be with. Now that I know, I promise to truly stay by your side to whatever end like I would have if you said the word one year ago. This necklace is a representation of my love for you that, like this ruby can't wilt or fade, but be remembered forever."

Sunset stares at me, still shocked. Then her mouth begins to quiver, and tears come down before she pulls me into a tight hug.

"Thank you, babe," she whispers in my ear. "You don't know what this means to me."

I smile as I whisper back, "I think I do."

"No, you don't," Sunset says firmly. "Can I have my present now?"

My smile grows as we break the hug, and Sunset moves her hair back as I wrap the necklace around her neck and attach the two sides. Sunset stares at the jewel hanging around her neck before she grabs me by the shirt and pulls me in for a fierce, passionate kiss. I pull her closer to deepen the kiss as we pour all our feelings for each other into it. When we part, Sunset caresses my cheeks with both of her hands and stares at me lovingly.

"No matter what happens, Rough Draft, I will always love you. Remember that," she says.

"As you wish, my sunshine," I say before we embrace tightly and begin dancing slowly in this position. We hold each other for what feels like an eternity as the night goes on.

I wish it would never end.

PreviousChapters Next