• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 2,974 Views, 243 Comments

A Search for Something More - HAKDurbin



Rough Draft is a senior in Canterlot High who writes fan fiction and dreams of finding love. He's also the only person in the entire school who still doesn't believe that Sunset Shimmer is reformed.

  • ...
31
 243
 2,974

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: Another Night To Remember

After discussing my plan and looking up movies with Soarin, we both went home, ready for the next day. The following day, I meet up with Soarin and Caramel before going to our first-period class as always. Soarin secretly winks at me to confirm that Caramel has no idea about the plan, and I grin since our best friend's ignorance is essential to the plan.

Hours later, it is lunchtime, and the three of us meet up to grab our lunches before sitting in our usual spots with Sonata, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Sunset. When we're about halfway through our food, I text Soarin, "now," and he clears his throat.

"So Rough Draft, did you enjoy seeing us practice for our first playoff game yesterday?" Soarin asks.

"I did," I answer with a fake grin. "You guys look like you're pretty pumped to crush your first opponents."

Rainbow Dash overhears our fake conversation and raises an eyebrow.

"Not that you're wrong, Rough Draft, but how would you know?" She asks suspiciously. "You were glued to your notebook like you were writing another one of your stories."

Suddenly, Applejack, Caramel, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Sonata, Rarity, and most importantly, Sunset stop their conversations and turn to me. In our minds, Soarin and I grin, knowing things are going according to plan.

"You're writing again?" Caramel asks, surprised yet happy. "When did this start?"

I pretend to hesitate before I answer, "Yesterday. I had an idea for a new story, and I just took my notebook and began to - ack!"

Sonata and Pinkie Pie suddenly appear from the side and behind me respectfully and hug me so tightly that I thought they are going to break my ribs.

"I'm soooooooo happy to hear you're writing again," Pinkie Pie squeals as she practically tries to make my eyeballs pop out of their sockets with her hug.

"Me too! Me too!" Sonata squeaks.

After one big squeeze from both of them, they let go, and I gasp for air.

"Tha...thanks, I guess," I pant out. "Though you really shouldn't be so excited, it's still Star Wars fanfiction, to be honest."

"But it's something that you love to do that you haven't been doing since Octavia dumped you," Sonata explains cheerily. "We know it's not something you want to do your whole life, but it's still great to know that what happened didn't completely bring you down."

"Sonata is right," Rarity says. "I'm into your nerdy stuff in the slightest, but after that whole thing with Octavia Melody dating another boy, it's lovely to know that you're acting more like yourself. "

I look at everyone surprised.

"You're happy that I'm writing Star Wars fanfiction again?" I ask.

"It's a part of who you are, sugarcube," Applejack says, smiling. "You shouldn't have to be ashamed of it just because it's a little different."

Everyone nods in agreement, and I can't help but smile.

"Thanks, you guys, that means a lot to hear that," I say.

"What are friends for?" Fluttershy quietly says, smiling.

I smile, happy with the compliments. I continue to eat my food with their words wrapped around my head until I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, and I take it out.

Soarin: Loverboy, aren't you forgetting something?

I stare at the text, confused until it hits me. I've heard comments from everybody except Sunset. Before I can do anything about it, however, the bell rings, and Sunset is already standing up and saying her goodbyes to us and leaves.

D'oh!

Everyone else say their goodbyes and leave except for Soarin and me who, after giving Rainbow Dash a brief kiss before she leaves, glares at me.

"Dude, what the heck was that?" He rebukes.

"Sorry, I got lost with all the encouragement," I say, scratching the back of my head. "That was the most positive feedback I've ever had from my writing, and they haven't even seen what I've written yet."

"So? I thought that didn't matter as long as Sunset approves," Soarin says. "Isn't it her opinion that you want?"

"Of course it is," I answer. "How can I not want to know what someone as beautiful and heroic as Sunset what she thinks about me?"

It takes a moment before I realize what I just said. Soarin smirks.

"Man, you've really accepted your feelings for this girl," he says.

I blush in response, which makes him chuckle.

"I gotta admit it, Rough Draft; whether you get that date or not, it's great that you are trying to get yourself back into the dating world."

"Really?" I ask.

"Of course," Soarin days sincerely. "Sunset is a pretty special girl even without all the magic and stuff, and I think you'll be pretty great for each other."

I smile appreciatively before I sigh sadly.

"Well, as much as I want that too, it's a little disheartening that she didn't say anything that whole time," I say.

"Hey, that doesn't mean she failed your test, dude," Soarin suggests. "She probably didn't get a chance to say anything before we head to class. You can still talk to her sometime before or after seventh period. So there's hope yet."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I say with a sigh before something hits me. "Uh, speaking of going to class, shouldn't we -"

Suddenly, the warning bell rings, announcing we both have one minute left to get to Gym class with Mr. Iron Will. Soarin and I check our surroundings and realize in shock that we're the only people in the cafeteria.

"We're going to be late and be forced to do some extra laps, aren't we?" I say.

"Yup," Soarin says, defeated.


*******************************************************************************



I walk down the halls towards Ms. Cheerilee's class, tired and out of breath. While my punishment for being late for gym wasn't as painful as it was the day I had my first date with Octavia, Soarin and I were still wiped out after carrying out Mr. Iron Will's activities on top of running extra laps first. When I made it to the classroom, I plop into my seat and sigh, much to the amusement of Sunset, who is already sitting next to me.

"Gym was a little worse than usual?" she asks, smirking.

"You could say that," I pant. "I swear it feels like Mr. Iron Will trying to kill me with all the activities he makes us do."

Sunset rolls her eyes before the final bell rings, and class starts. I am a little disappointed that we couldn't speak more as I'm still wondering about her opinion about my story. I sigh and reluctantly focus on Ms. Cheerilee's lecture, glumly thinking Sunset doesn't care, and so this whole plan is a flop after all.

After an hour, class ends, and I proceed to put away my stuff and leave. As soon as I stand up, however, I look up to find Sunset blocking my path with her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised.

"Uh, what's up?" I ask.

"Are you really writing again?" she asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Um, yes?" I say nervously. "Is that a problem?"

Sunset Shimmer's suspicious look turns into a happy smile.

"Problem? I think that's wonderful," She says enthusiastically.

"Really?" I ask, surprised.

"Absolutely," Sunset says. "I didn't say anything at lunch because I wanted to tell you how glad I am to hear that you're starting to do what you love again when it's just the two of us."

"But I thought you hated my writing," I say. "You did say that it was bad when you gave me my old notebook back."

"Rough Draft, I don't hate your stories, I just didn't think they were well written. But from little I've heard about the story you wrote for Octavia, it's clear that you're improving as a writer," Sunset answers. "You're more descriptive and starting to tell a less simple story than the ones you showed me back when we were hanging out. Clearly, Octavia inspired you to improve as a writer, and I'm glad that your breakup isn't keeping you from trying to advance your craft further."

I smile a little at her encouraging words. I didn't think she would be this glad to see writing again like this, but it looks like I've once again underestimated how kind and supportive she is, making it all the more reason why I want to make a move on her.

"So, is there any chance I can see it?" Sunset Shimmer asks with her signature smirk.

I pretend to hesitate for a moment before I make my move.

"Not for free," I say.

Sunset looks at me, surprised for a moment before her smirk returns.

"So this is what you and Soarin were up to," she states.

My confidence disappears, and I ask, "W-w-what do you mean?"

Sunset giggles before she replies, "Rough Draft, I hate to break it to you, but in case you have forgotten, I was an expert at using acts and tricks to get what I wanted. I easily noticed that you and Soarin were planning something."

I frown, bummed that my plan failed after all, and Sunset pats my shoulder sympathetically.

"Don't be hard on yourself, Rough Draft," she says. "I'm just too good at this kind of thing to not have figured it out. Maybe sometime I'll teach you boys how to deceive properly without using text messages."

I wince at how she made my plan too obvious. But then she lifts my head with her hand and gives me a genuine smile.

"Now, about your price for looking at your new story?" She asks.

"Wait, are you serious?" I ask, confused.

"Yes, silly," She answers. "I want to know."

A small smile dares to enter my face.

"Well, if I recall correctly, we've only gone to the movies once in exchange for you giving my old stories back," I say. "Since that was a while ago, you can look at my story if you would go to the movies with me again tonight."

Sunset looks at me flabbergasted.

"Are...are you asking me out?" She asks.

"Well, yeah," I say, suddenly feeling a little nervous that she might say no. "Of course if you don't, I completely -"

"I'd love to."

I don't say anything for a moment but look at her smiling at me.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Yeah," she answers.

"Good."

"Great."

"Terrific."

"Wonderful."

"Alright."

"Okay."

I clear my throat to stop the back to backtalk and say, "So."

"Yeah, so," Sunset begins. "Do you have a movie in mind?"

"I do actually," I say. "I've heard about this anime film that is showing at the movie theater in Crystal City that's said to be good."

"Oh, really? Is it a fantasy?" Sunset asks.

"I don't know actually," I answer. "I've just seen posters online that don't show much, and I figure we just find out together."

Sunset smiles at this. "That sounds nice. Were you thinking of going via my bike?"

"Well yeah," I admit scratching the back of my head. "I figured that was the best way to go."

Sunset smirks at me and says, "Well, we could try flying there."

I frown, uneasy at her suggestion.

"Are you sure about that?" I ask.

"Absolutely," she says. "I've figured out a way to secure you so that I don't have to worry about dropping you while I'm flying. Besides, practice makes perfect."

I think about it for a moment before I say, "Alright. Flying it is."

"Great," she says. "What time is the movie?

"6:10," I answer.

"Okay, how about we meet back at the school at say 4:45 ish?" She suggests.

"Yeah, that works," I say.

"Okay, then it's a date," Sunset says as she grabs her backpack. "I better head home and get ready."

"I'll see you in a couple of hours then," I say with a smile.

"See you then," Sunset says with one last smile before she leaves the classroom.

I sigh in relief once I know I'm the only person anywhere near the classroom. I feel great after finally asking her on a date. In a way, this feels similar to how it felt when Octavia said yes to milkshakes at Sugarcube Corner, only this time I don't have to worry about how Sunset reacts to my stories because she already knows about them. Feels nice not having to worry about that as I begin the walk home to get ready for the date.

Though is it my imagination, or did I hear a loud, joyful scream echoing the halls?



************************************************************************************



It's 4:43, and I'm waiting for Sunset at the front entrance to the school. When I went home, I put away my backpack, made sure my clothes looked nice enough, and then waited for about an hour or so to head back to CHS. By the time I got there, it was about 4:38, so I had time to spare to play games on my phone while I wait.

"Hope you weren't waiting long."

I look up from my phone to see Sunset standing in front of me with her signature smirk and hiding her hands behind her back.

"Nah, just a few minutes," I assure. "What do you have behind your back?"

She smiles as she reveals that she's carrying a two-person skydiving suit.

"I thought this would be the safest way for two people to fly," she explains. "Fewer chances of you almost dying that way."

"Not a bad idea," I compliment.

"I thought you'd agree," she says as she starts putting her half of the suit on and then helps me put on my half.

Once I'm secure, we buckle our halves of the suit together and turn to face the city ready to fly. I then feel both of Sunset's arms wrap themselves around me tightly, and I turn my head to look at her confused, and she shrugs.

"Just in case," she says.

"Okay," I say a little suspicious. "So, you're about to start another music number, right?"

"Actually, that won't be necessary," she says. "I've figured out a way to get the wings and tail without needing to sing."

"Oh, really? What?" I ask.

"It's a secret," she says. "Just be ready to see yourself leave the ground again."

I look at her, confused, but I reluctantly comply and turn my head back to face the city. I hear Sunset take a deep breath and hug me tighter before she begins to glow and with another loud pop the large wings and tail of fire. I turn my head around to see Sunset looking at her wings and smiles before she turns back to me and says, "Let's fly," before her wings begin to flap, and our feet leave the ground. I feel uneasy at first, but after a few seconds, I start to feel comfortable again as we gain altitude, and our bodies lean towards our destination. I spread my arms, pretending to be flying Peter Pan style, and I start laughing in excitement as I look at the view below us.

"I know this is a cliché, but I can see my house from here," I joke.

I can hear Sunset snickering.

"You couldn't help yourself, could you?" She says.

"I guess not," I say

We continue flying for a while before I look to my left and notice the sun already beginning to set over by the mountains giving a deep orange glow as the clouds were a mixture of orange, pink, and purple.

"Pretty sunset," I comment.

"Why, thank you," I hear Sunset say.

"No, I mean the sunset over there. Oh, not that you're not pretty, but I was referring to -" I sputter before it hits me. "You're teasing again, aren't you?"

"Well, what can I say? Old habits die hard. But thank you," she says. "It is a nice sunset. Reminds me of the time I would watch them back in Equestria."

I hum in acknowledgment before it suddenly hits me.

"By the way, the town you lived in is called Cantermore, real or not real?" I ask, despite already knowing the answer.

Sunset snickers again at my question.

"Not real," she answers. "That was just my way of hiding the fact that I lived in a different Canterlot from another world."

"Yeah. That's what I thought," I say. "What's that one like, though?"

Sunset takes a moment to think of how to respond before she points at one of the mountains.

"You see that tall mountain to the right of where the sun is setting?" She asks. "In my world, you would see a great white city hanging on the steep wall of a mountain just like that. There, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna live in Canterlot Castle, and you would meet all the fancy and uptight ponies you would ever want to meet, including my mom and dad."

"Wow, a city on a mountain," I say fascinated. "Sounds amazing."

"It is," she says. "I took it for granted as a filly, but I know you'd love the place, ponies like my parents aside. Canterlot Castle itself is so massive with its many halls, and its library was where I first saw that mirror that took me to this world. Not to mention the city itself full of fancy clothes, fabulous plays, and majestic blimps that pass by above my childhood home every day."

"Wow," I say.

"Yeah, and my parents lived in a house close to the city gates. It was so tall that we could climb up on top of the roof and see so much of Equestria past the gates. Ponyville, our versions of Manehattan, Baltamare, Las Pegas, Applelosa, you name it."

"An Applelosa in your world, too, huh?" I say. "I wonder what that place is like and if pony me still lives there. I hope not."

"Yeah, well, Canterlot wasn't the most humble place to grow up in, though," Sunset says. "Remember, I came from a high-class family. My dad used to take me up on the roof and talk about how we are better than any pony who lives in all the other towns and cities because we live in the capital city that's higher than any other place in Equestria. I just saw a great view as a filly, but I guess I started to feel that way when I became Celestia's student. I had a room up one of the tallest towers of the castle where I could see all of Equestria including the whole city of Canterlot, and that made me feel more arrogant and proud as I grew more powerful."

I turn to face her, and I see the same sad face she made when she told me about what happened between her and the Principal Celestia in her world. I feel ashamed that my question let to her thinking of sad memories, and I get the feeling that there are still some wounds that have yet to be closed. Before I can say anything, however, Sunset shakes her head and gives me a reassuring grin.

"Well enough about that, let's focus on what's happening right now. We still have a way to Crystal City after all," she says.

"Yes, indeed," I say with my own smile.

In my mind, I'm unconvinced that Sunset isn't still thinking about her old home, but I decided to let it go for now.





**********************************************************************************






After about an hour, we make it to the city and find a place to land next to the theater with time to spare. We decide that I pay for the tickets while we split the cost for popcorn and ICEEs. By the time we find our seats, the trailers were starting, and we agreed to listen to music on our phones in case there's a trailer for a movie we want to be clueless about. (*cough cough* the next Star Wars movie!) Finally, after watching more trailers than I care to count, we got to our movie.

The movie turned out to be a fantasy teenage drama of sorts. It's about a guy and a girl who have feelings for each other, but things get complicated when the boy is kidnapped by mad scientists and is used as an experiment for a secret weapon and then gains superpowers and escapes. Somehow the scientists are in league with these people from another dimension who want to control the people in this world to take over the other world, and the boy starts using his powers to stop them from attacking the city. But then it turns out the girl he likes is in league with the people from the other world, and she and the boy never find out what the other is up to through the most of the film. When they're not fighting each other without knowing it, they're going on dates and falling deeply in love with each other.

About halfway into the movie, Sunset starts to lay her head on my shoulder and take my hand during one of the romantic scenes. The last time she did something like this was when we first met, and she was eyeing me the whole time but right. Her serene smile from watching the romance while using my right shoulder as a pillow made me smile without her knowing. But then, she realizes what she's doing and quickly lifts her head off my shoulder and removes her hand from mine, smiling sheepishly.

"Sorry," she whispers.

"It's okay," I say, though part of me wishes she at least kept her head on my shoulder.

Sunset returns to watching the movie with a smile and a light blush on her cheeks. My heart beats rapidly as I realize that she's smiling from being so close to me.

After the movie ends, Sunset and I throw away our trash and make our way to where we landed and begin our flight back to Canterlot. We wait until we were a few minutes before I decide to speak.

"So...what did you think?" I asked.

"I liked it...mostly," Sunset Shimmer says honestly. "I liked the romance and the action, but I wish the couple lived happily ever after in the end."

"Yeah, I'm right there with you," I say. "It sucks that she had to that other dimension while he had to stay."

"Right? Why are there so many anime films that end with the couple not getting a happy ending?" Sunset Shimmer asks before she smiles at me. "But for what it's worth, I'm glad we saw it."

"Yeah, same here," I say, turning my head to smile back at her. "If anything, the chemistry between the couple was -"

But as I'm talking, Sunset flashes past me before turning her head away from me, looking worried. I turn to where she's looking and see that a massive storm cloud in the distance heading to Canterlot.

"Uh, any chance you can fly faster? I ask.

Sunset frowns and bites her lips before she answers, "Only one way to find out."




********************************************************************************




Sunset flies as fast as she can, but by the time we make it back to Canterlot, it's already raining. Luckily, the rain doesn't affect her wings and tails of fire, but she is having trouble focusing on flying the more it rains. We decide to go to her apartment since it's closer and stay there until the rain stops. As soon as we reach the steps of her building, Sunset's wings and tail disappear, and we quickly disconnect from our respective diving suits and get inside to realize how soaked we both are.

"You know, with the benefit of hindsight, maybe I should have checked the weather before asking you to a movie all the way downtown," I say with a nervous chuckle.

"Yeah, that might've been smart," Sunset says as she quickly takes off her drenched leather jacket. "How are we gonna get you home?"

"I'll ask my parents and see if they can pick me up from here," I say. "I'm sure my mom at least is home and will be able to do it."

"Good. While you do that, I'm gonna grab some dry clothes and change in my bathroom," Sunset says as she walks up the stairs to her bedroom. "And don't even think about laying your wet butt on my couch until I've brought some towels."

"Okay," I say.

As she walks back down the stairs, carrying dry clothes, and enters her bathroom, I take out my phone and call my mom to pick me up. After that, I walk to Sunset's living room, which looks different from the last time I was last here. She has some new furniture, and her walls are decorated with photos of her and the Rainbooms. I can't help but smile as I notice how happy she is to be with our friends in each photo.

But then, I notice a lampstand next to her couch, and on top of it stands a blue, see-through vase holding the rose I gave Sunset on Valentine's Day. I can't help but smile at how not one petal appears to have fallen.

"I've been taking good care of it since that day."

I turn around to see Sunset Shimmer wearing her old purple shirt with the red and yellow sun at the center and another pair of pants while holding a couple of towels.

"I can see that," I say, smiling at her.

She smiles back, and we look at it for a few seconds before Sunset Shimmer clears her throat.

"Right, so what's the status of you getting home?" She asks.

"My mom will be here soon," I say.

"Okay," Sunset Shimmer says. "Well, here are some towels so that you can sit down,"

"Thanks," I say as I politely take the towels and place them on the left side of her couch before I sit down. Sunset Shimmer sits on the right side. For a couple of minutes, we sit awkwardly, trying to think of something to say and occasionally look at each other and smile.

Finally, I decide to bring up something that was on my mind earlier.

"Sunset, can I ask you a personal question?" I ask.

Sunset looks at me curiously before she nods.

"Do you miss your parents?" I ask.

Sunset frowns at the question. She looks away from me and answers, "Not really. Probably about as much as you miss living in Applelosa."

I frown at this and decide to be a little more direct.

"I don't think that's true," I say. "It looked like you missed them when we were talking about Equestria as if there's a part of you that wants to know how they're doing after all this time."

"Well, I don't," she insists.

I sigh sadly.

"Sunset, we have a good track record of finally being honest with each other," I say. "Please don't break it."

She doesn't say anything and keeps her head turned away from me. I get the uneasy feeling that I went too far until she sighs.

"I guess I miss them a little," she admits. "I mean, I still hate them, but I suppose part of me would like to see them again just one more time. I don't expect any improvement in my relationships with them, but..."

"You'd like some closure," I finish her sentence.

Sunset turns her head to face me and gives me a sad smile.

"Yeah," she says. "Of course, the other thing is finding out if they're still around and even then if there's any free time with both of them. They are pretty busy business ponies after all."

"Well, maybe you could ask Princess Twilight somehow," I suggest. "Do you have the means to contact her from Equestria?"

"I do actually," she says with a smile. "I have a magic journal that I brought with me that I can use to contact her. That's how I was able to ask her for help when Sonata and her sisters were trying to take over the school. In fact, it was because my journal and Princess Celestia's journal are connected that Twilight was able to use it to reopen the portal without having to wait for another thirty moons.

"Excellent," I say. "And hey, maybe you could visit Principa - er, Princess Celestia, and talk to her too."

Sunset hesitates before she stutters "Y-yeah, I could,"

I look at her confused and ask, "Are you afraid to talk to her?"

Sunset scratches the back of her head, hesitant to answer.

"Well, the last time I ever saw her, she did expel me as her student and banished me from her castle," she says. "I can't imagine how she probably feels about disobeying her and disappearing into another world for what is twelve years ago for her."

"Well, I don't think you're giving her enough credit," I say. "I don't know much about this immortal version of Principal Celestia, but I do know that the one in this world is kind and collective and tries to be the voice of reason when things get out of hand. If your pony version of our principal is anything like that, odds are she'd probably want to see how you're doing."

"You don't know that," Sunset counters. "She might hate my guts after everything I did for all we know. It's not like she attempted to bring me back to Equestria when I ran away."

"Maybe, but it wouldn't sound right for her to be that angry at you if she's this wise and kind leader that's leading Princess Twilight to learn lessons about something like friendship," I point out. "Heck, if you ask Twilight, she'll probably agree with me."

"I don't know, Rough Draft," she says sadly. "What good would it do to come all the way to Canterlot Castle just to say 'I'm sorry?'"

I give her a supporting smile as I scoot next to her, carefully dragging the towels with me so that I don't get the couch wet and pat her on the back.

"Well, maybe she'd like to know how much you've changed," I suggest. "I can only imagine what you were like back then based on what you've told me and from all the misery I've seen you cause since the Spring Fling, but you're not the same person or pony or whatever. You're kind, caring, confident, repentant of your mistakes, and always wanting to help your friends. Who wouldn't want to know how much you've changed so much since the Fall Formal?"

Sunset looks at me with an appreciative smile.

"You really believe that?" she asks.

"I do," I say sincerely. "And every day now, I wish I wasn't so blind to see the person that you've become because you're not a bully, or a demon, or a greedy monster. You're...you're..."

"Yes?" She asks in anticipation.

I struggle to find the right words, but nothing is coming to me. I feel my cheeks starting to warm from embarrassment.

"You're, um, I don't know, someone much better than you were before," I say, defeated by my lack of better words. "Someone Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie are proud of and someone I admire."

My eyes widen at the last choice of words. I didn't plan on going as far as saying I admire her. I was hoping I would say something else. But whatever the case, it seems to work, as Sunset is giving me a heartwarming smile. Suddenly, she pulls me into a tight hug and lays her head on my right shoulder again.

"Thank you, Rough Draft," she whispers. "That makes me happy to hear you say that."

I smile as I hug her back and say, "You're welcome. I'm glad to know it does."

We continue to hug for a couple of minutes. Part of me feels like we should have broken the hug by now, but just like before, the rest of me hopes we never do. And judging by the way Sunset is hugging me, I think she feels the same way. But then I start to remember how I felt the same way before the Spring Fling, and I find myself chuckling. Sunset lifts her head and looks at me in confusion.

"What's so funny?" she asks.

I look at her with a smile and ask, "Do you remember the last time we were in this position?"

Sunset looks at me, confused, and smirks.

"You mean me hugging you and using your shoulder as a pillow?" she teases. "I don't know how I can't since that was just a couple of hours ago while we were watching the movie."

I roll my eyes in amusement and say, "Okay, make that the second to last time we were in this position."

Sunset's smile fades and looks down sadly.

"Yeah," she answers. "On that bench at that hill that has a nice view of Canterlot and Crystal City. That was the day I asked you to help me sabotage Rarity."

I frown at her sad face and lift it up with her chin so that our eyes meet.

"I only ask because I just realized how much we've changed since that moment together," I explain. "You're not the girl determined to rule as a princess by any means anymore."

Sunset smiles at me kindly.

"And you're not the shy, bashful, and naive boy who would foolishly offer his heart to any girl who would say more than two words to him," she says.

"Amazing how far we've grown, isn't it?" I state. "Here you are, a hero and a representative of friendship; something once foreign to both of us."

Sunset's smile grows.

"And while you may still blush, you became less shy and found someone who made you truly happy," she says. "I hope you are not far from being that happy again."

"I don't think I am," I say, blushing lightly and smiling back as I gaze at her bright, cyan eyes.

The next thing I know, however, Sunset's smile fades, and her head is leaning closer to me. I stay still unsure of what to do until I find myself leaning towards her as well. My heart is beating rapidly as Sunset rotates her head, and her eyes slowly close, and I turn my head in the opposite direction and close my eyes. But then, the moment is interrupted with a ringtone, and we reluctantly part as I take out my phone.

"My mom's in the parking lot," I say with a frown.

"Oh, okay," Sunset says, sounding down. "Guess we better not keep her waiting."

"Yeah, better not," I say with a wooden face.

We reluctantly stand up and walk to Sunset's front door, and we see my mom's car waiting for us as the rain goes down a little less than before. We turn to each other, and Sunset decides to take this opportunity for another hug.

"Thank you for taking me out, Rough Draft," she says. "I had a really good time."

"Yeah, me too," I say. "Well, uh, we should do it again sometime."

"I'd like that," she says.

She begins to break the hug, but as she pulls back, we look into each other's eyes again. Her cyan eyes stare at me fondly, and I stare back in admiration. It takes a moment before we realize that our faces are only inches apart again, and my cheeks go red while Sunset chuckles nervously. I feel like I should be stepping back, but my mind doesn't want to move. I see in Sunset's eyes that she has that same feeling. It takes a couple of seconds before we ultimately decide the same thing; screw it.

Without a word, we both lean in, and our lips connect. Sunset gently puts her hand on the back of my head, and I place my hands on her hips as we kiss. When we part, She has a pleased look in her eyes.

"That was.."

"Late," I interrupt.

"Late?" She asks, confused.

"Yeah, we waited a little too long to do that," I explain.

"Oh, now I won't stand for that," Sunset says with a smirk. "I'm not gonna let us end this date with my first kiss being late."

"What? What do you mean your -" I ask before my question is interrupted by Sunset's lips pressing into mine again.

This kiss has more force that surprises me for a moment before I close my eyes and lose myself to it. It lasts a little longer than the last kiss before we part, and Sunset gives a pleased look.

"Better?" she asks.

"Uh, yeah, that'll work," I say, dazed from the kiss.

"Excellent," Sunset says. "Thank you for my first two kisses, Rough Draft."

"Y-yeah, sure," I say as I exit her apartment. "See you at school."

"See you, lover boy," She calls back before she closes the door.

I turn around and stare at her door for a few seconds before I make a goofy smile and start walking to my mom's car. I just went on a date with Sunset Shimmer, and I ended up kissing her twice. I'm glad Sonata and Soarin helped me take this chance because now there's hope that maybe something special will happen between Sunset and me.

But then, I stop walking only a couple of steps away from the car. My eyes widen, and my smile fades as I see who else is in the car with my mom. On the front passenger seat is Soarin slowly nodding his head up and down with an amused smirk while Caramel smiles at me from the back seat.

Oh boy.

Author's Note:

So there were a couple of references in this chapter.

The first is when Sunset Shimmer says yes to the date and she and Rough Draft going back and forth over her answer is reference to Roxanne saying yes to Max in A Goofy Movie starting at 2:12 and ending at 2:20: https://youtu.be/yioKgVSr260?t=129

The second is the kissing at the end is reference to Captain America and Sharon Carter kissing and Bucky and Sam's reactions starting at 1:14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVIdy6La47c

PreviousChapters Next