• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 2,977 Views, 243 Comments

A Search for Something More - HAKDurbin



Rough Draft is a senior in Canterlot High who writes fan fiction and dreams of finding love. He's also the only person in the entire school who still doesn't believe that Sunset Shimmer is reformed.

  • ...
31
 243
 2,977

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 56: The Hunt Begins

I wake up the next morning with my alarm going off. I realize I fell asleep on top of the covers and sigh as I take out my phone and check the battery power. Thankfully, it's only at 52%, so I put it on its charger, knowing its percentage will be around the 80s by the time I'm heading off to school.

On the ride to school, my mom asks me where I'm at with Octavia and Sunset, and I mumble that I don't know. She frowns and says that she worries about me and what I'm doing, and I nod, not looking at her. She has said this many times before, and her bringing it up again only brings back my confusion on the matter as well as my regret for acting so cold to them at Vinyl's house.

When she parks her car next to the school, she hugs and says 'I love you' as always and I robotically tell her that I love her back before I get out of her car. She drives away as I walk to the front entrance, where Soarin and Caramel are waiting for me.

"Hey guys," I say quietly.

"Hey, Rough Draft," Soarin says. "How're you feeling?"

"Not great," I answer, bluntly. "I'm hoping that what we have planned today just ends quickly, but at the same time, I'm afraid of what happens when it does end."

"Like the matter between you, Octavia and Sunset?" Caramel asks.

I nod plainly.

"You kind of overdid it with shaming them for their outburst, dude," Soarin says.

"Tell me something I don't already know," I say as we start walking down the halls to our first class.

"In your defense, though, that was hardly a mature moment for either of them," Caramel says, trying to cheer me up. "All the same, maybe you need to apologize to them before you-know-what."

I nod again before I say, "Yeah, you're right. Though aren't you two still Team Sunset?"

My two best friends look at each other nervously before Soarin answers.

"Yes and no," he says. "We are still Team Sunset, but as your best friends, we will support you in whatever decision you choose."

"Are you sure?" I ask. "You've made your statements before about instantly wanting me to pick Sunset if she came back."

"We know what we said, Rough Draft," Soarin says, placing his hand on my shoulder. "But it's become clear that it's not as simple as it was back then with you going back and forth between the two of them. We support you no matter who you choose. Just don't tell Rainbow and AJ we said this cause we will completely deny it."

"Of course," I say with a small chuckle. "Must not let your ladies know you're only mostly on their side."



*******************************************************************************************



The day dragged by longer than usual. I took notes for finals, but on the inside, I am both dying yet dreading for school to end. It wasn't hard, however, to notice that all the other students are feeling the same way, whether in class, in the halls, or even at lunch. Everyone has the upcoming hunt against this unknown being of magic in mind more than anything happening school-related. We hide it from the teachers, but I think deep down, we all know that we're afraid of what is to come as soon as the final bell rings. Even Sonata wasn't willing to say a word to me when we sat at lunch together, and I dared to glance at the Rainbooms table to see that they are all worried about what is to come. They appear to be deep in conversation with each other, probably discussing what we're up against. I don't think I've ever seen our school so devoid of energy since after the Anon-a-miss scenario.

I didn't glance at Sunset Shimmer during English class out of habit whenever it was 'Octavia's day,' but mostly because I wanted to apologize to both her and Octavia simultaneously. But even without looking at her, I can tell that she is hurting as we are both pretending to listen to Ms. Cheerilee.

Finally, the last bell rang, and everyone quickly scattered to meet at the center hall of the school as planned while teachers are heading home for the day. I exit the classroom and walk way for a moment before Sunset puts her hand on my shoulder to stop me.

"Babe, listen," she says. "I want to apologize again for my actions."

"As do I," Octavia says as she walking over to Sunset and me. "It wasn't right for me to act that way at an important meeting."

I sigh and say, "Well, this time, we all could have handled things better, cause I also wanted to apologize to you both for how I acted. So, forgive and forget?"

"Deal," they say simultaneously.

I nod as we walk together to the main hall.

"Do you have your club and shield with you?" I ask Octavia.

"Doc is bringing them along with Vinyl's Bass Cannon and all of the MN-DGs," she answers. "Though I've heard from Vinyl that you and the other Rainbooms have refused to take some of our weapons, Sunset Shimmer."

"That's because we don't need them," Sunset assures. "We're hoping we can settle this peacefully, and we have our ways to defend ourselves through the Magic of Friendship."

"Including you-know-what?" I ask, referring to her magical wings, tail, and swords of fire.

Sunset smirks, knowing what in thinking and says, "Maybe, babe. Maybe."

Octavia looks at us confused, and asks, "What are you talking about?"

"Sorry, Melody, trade secret," Sunset says.

Octavia glares at Sunset before turning to me, and I give her a sympathetic look.

"She's right, love," I say. "It's a secret best unknown unless we have no other choice."

Octavia keeps her skeptical look at Sunset and me before she sighs.

"Alright, darling," she says. "I will trust you."

I give her an appreciative look as we make it to the main hall where Doc has already arrived and is handing out MN-DGs to everyone. The whole student body is split into two sides, one for the E.M.R. and one for everyone loyal to Sunset, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack. I frown as I see everyone sticking to their own side despite the alliance made. It's almost as if it's the time before the Fall Formal, where everyone stayed in their own group. I turn to Sunset and Octavia, who look at the crowd sadly, thinking the same thing.

"Well, this is not a reassuring start," Octavia says, unsettled. "Kind of hoped our agreement would help our respective sides mingle more like we did at the party."

Both Sunset and I nod in agreement as we walk over to Doc, who has handed out the last dart gun before turning to us.

"Ah, good, you're here," he says with a cheery smile as he takes out Octavia's cello bow-shaped club and cello shaped shield. "Now that makes everyone apart from the Rainbooms armed."

Sunset gives Octavia a smirk as Octavia takes her weapons.

"A little bit style over substance, wouldn't you say?" She teases her rival.

"No more than your rainbow powers," Octavia says proudly. "Besides, this bow is what I used to disfigure Adagio for shooting our Rough Draft, so show some respect."

Sunset chuckles before she says, "Fair enough. I only wish I was there to see that and give her a piece of my mind while at it."

Octavia nods respectfully at Sunset's words before Vinyl steps in the middle of the crowd, carrying a new bass cannon.

"Alright, now that we're all here, let's get going," she says. "We just turned on one of our portable radars, and this unknown magical being has arrived, but they seem to be making their exact location vague beyond knowing that they're here. It's possible that it already knows what we're up to, so they're messing with the equipment to keep their location scarce. It looks like we're gonna have to split up into small teams with each team holding one of our portable radars and search through separate sections of the school. If any team finds this person or discovers anything odd, don't attack unless you have to. Just send a text to me and Rainbow Dash, and we'll get everyone to regroup if need be."

Rainbow Dash nods in agreement before she announces, "Our goal here is to capture and question this being. He or she may be a deadly threat to all of us, but we're not going to kill this person. We're better than that."

"That's right, and most of you have your guns for neutralizing magic," Doc says. "For those of you who don't know, they will permanently neutralize any magic on the person they are hit. The darts on the guns have been improved so that it doesn't matter where the person gets hit, unlike when we fought Adagio and Aria. They will completely lose their magic no matter what. So as long as this person gets hit by one dart, their energy is gone, and they become just like us, well, most of us."

The Rainbooms, Caramel, and Soarin glare at Doc before Vinyl clears her throat and steps in.

"Okay, Doc's bad choice of words aside, we do need to work together as one," she says. "So please be in groups of both members of the E.M.R. and people loyal to the Rainbooms. We still shouldn't be divided for something like fighting another evil force or magic. That's what almost secured the Dazzlings taking over the world, and we're better than that. Besides, people from my group, we're about fighting evil magic, not, um, good magic, is it?"

"The Magic of Friendship," The Rainbooms, Caramel, Soarin, and the Rainboom Loyalists say simultaneously.

"Right, whatever," Vinyl says with a wave of her hand. "Point is, don't fire on our fellow students."

Octavia rolls her eyes at her best friend while Doc says, "Right, pick your groups, then collect your radars, and let's go fight this pain with evil magic."

Everyone reluctantly agrees as they pick groups and collect their radars and start spreading out. But even with Vinyl's request, everyone still formed groups from their own faction.

"Okay, so how should we figure out this group thing?" I ask my exes. "Just the three of us?"

"The three of you, and me," Sonata says, approaching me from behind, carrying a radar and her own MN-DG. "As the judge of the whole thing between you guys, it is better I keep my eye on you two girls after last night. Plus, I feel better working beside the girl who defeated Midnight Sparkle and the girl who saved my buddy's life."

Octavia, Sunset, and I give our light-blue friend small smiles before Sunset asks, "Alright, so do you guys have an idea of where to look?"

We think about it before Sonata says, "Well, no one else has claimed to look at the gym yet. Maybe this person could be there."

"Why would they think to hide there?" Octavia asks. "The gym is connected to the auditorium, and that's too big of a place to hide."

"Maybe, but that doesn't mean there's no way to hide," I suggest.

"Plus, every other inch of the school is already being covered by another group," Sonata says.

Sunset sighs and says, "I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Off to the gym, I guess."

Octavia, Sonata, and I nod in agreement as we begin the hunt.



****************************************************************************************




We make our way to the gym as groups of students are beginning to search through every classroom in the building as we walk. We quietly and cautiously make it to the gym, which is completely deserted.

"Sonata, are you detecting anything specific here?" Octavia asks as she leads the group with her club and shield raised.

Sonata studies the radar carefully and says, "Nothing yet. Let's spread out and look around."

Sunset, Octavia, and I nod in agreement and begin to spread out. Before we do, however, Octavia puts her hand on my shoulder and makes me turn to her.

"Darling, please tell me you have your Stingsaber with you," she says.

"His what?" Sunset asks, confused.

"Vinyl and Doc made Rough Draft a special weapon that he can use to defend himself that he decided to call the Stingsaber," Sonata says plainly, which makes the three of us turn to her confused. "What? Vinyl told me the other day."

I shake my head and turn back to Octavia.

"It's in my backpack," I answer.

"Good," Octavia says. "Why don't you take it out just in case. I'd feel better with you armed in case this person strikes while we're splitting up."

I nod in understanding and reach into my backpack and take out my sword.

"How is that thing a weapon?" Sunset asks.

"They designed it to be like a lightsaber," I say as I turn it on, and the blade appears with its blue glow.

"Ooo, cool," Sunset says with a smile.

"Yes, I know," Octavia says boastfully while I turn my stingsaber off. "I know what my darling wants, unlike some people."

Sunset gives Octavia a death glare, and Sonata gives her a warning look before we all proceed to look around.

I walk over to the stage and think about where this unknown person might be hiding before I look up to the catwalk and get an idea. I find the door to the ladder and climb up to the catwalk. As soon as I make it up, I take out my Stingsaber, ignite it again, and slowly walk on the catwalk. The lights are off, so I have to use the glow of my sword as a light.

I stop halfway and look down to see how the others are doing downstairs. Sunset is looking under the bleachers, Octavia is checking the gym equipment while Sonata walks around, trying to get a reading on her radar. I sigh and begin to walk on until I realize where I'm standing directly above the center stage, where I dumped water on Rarity's head. My face softens as I think about how far I've come since I was that foolish boy only slightly more than a year ago.

I look down again and look intently at Octavia and Sunset. I think of how Octavia didn't abandon me after she learned what happened at that dance and wanted to help me instead. Then, I think about how Sunset and I got a good laugh when we found out my deed was a blessing in disguise for our fashionista friend. A small smile enters my face as I think about how much I've grown thanks to both of them. But my frown returns as I remember where we are now and how they betrayed me. It feels like the more I think about them, the more I see both the joys and the problems I have with both of them, and how hard it is to choose.

"Yes, they don't deserve you, do they?" says a growling voice coming from behind me.

I scream in panic and almost fall over the railing as I turn around and see a see-through cloaked figure with two, dark green eyes floating under the hood staring at me. I start swinging at it with the Stingsaber in panic only for the blade to phase through the figure.

"Rough Draft!" I hear Sonata, Sunset, and Octavia shout as they race to the stage.

"Enough," the cloaked being says as it raises its arm and slaps me so hard that I fall down and drop the Stingsaber, which falls off the catwalk. The figure looks at where my weapon landed and then at Sunset Shimmer, who is closest to the stage and laughs in amusement.

"Perfect," I hear it say. "At last, my war can begin."

I shut my eyes and groan in pain while the girls call out to me.

"Rough Draft! Baby, are you alright?" Sunset yells.

"Darling, please say something!" Octavia pleads.

I open my eyes, but I'm surprised to find that the cloaked figure is gone. I sit up and look around, but as far as I can tell, I'm by myself on the catwalk again.

"I'm coming up to you, buddy," Sonata calls out.

"No, don't!" I call out as I slowly stand up and look down at them. "I'm okay."

"What happened?" Octavia asks.

"I think it was -" I begin until I notice that the Stingsaber is lying on the stage, and Sunset is about to pick it up by the blade.

"Sunset, don't touch the blade!" I shout in fear.

But it's too late. Sunset grabs the weapon by the blade, and the energy instantly electrocutes her. She screams in pain, and blue volts rush through her body before she lets go and falls down whimpering.

"SUNSET!" I scream.

I race to the ladder and climb back down as quickly as possible. Once I make it to the stage, Sonata and Octavia are already by Sunset's side. I run over and kneel beside her as she groans in pain with her eyes shut.

"Sunset? Sunset, are you alright?" I ask.

Sunset groans again as her eyes slowly open. We carefully help her up as she holds her head in pain.

"Sunset Shimmer, are you okay?" Octavia asks, standing in front of Sunset to check for any serious effects.

Sunset raises her head to face Octavia before she grins.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Everything is clear to me now," she growls.

"Clear? What do you -" Octavia asks before Sunset steps forward and punches Octavia in the face.

Sonata and I stare at Sunset in shock before we hold her back from pouncing at Octavia. Octavia rubs her cheek before glaring at Sunset angrily.

"What the dickens was that for?!" She yells.

"You wanted me to do that!" Sunset snaps.

"Sunset, you don't know what you're talking about," I say. "She didn't -"

"Don't try to defend this cow, Rough Draft!" Sunset shouts. "I see the deception in her eyes. She intentionally left out that little detail in your weapon as a means to get me out of the picture. Well, you're gonna have to do better than that, Melody."

"Sunset, that's crazy talk," Sonata says. "There is no way Octavia would have -"

"No, she's right."

Sonata, Sunset, and I turn to see Octavia slowly getting up with a deadly look in her eyes.

"I didn't tell her what would happen if someone with magic would touch Rough Draft's Stingsaber," she says with a mischievous grin. I also didn't plan on having her touching it, but after watching my enemy wallow in pain, I wish I did plan to trap this witch!"

Sonata and I stare in disbelief of Octavia's words, giving Sunset the time she needs to free herself from our grips and tackle Octavia to the ground. Sonata and I try to separate her from Octavia, but Sunset is moving too rapidly as she punches and slaps at Octavia, who is scratching and slapping back at Sunset to break free.

"What's going on here?"

The four of us turn around to find Vinyl entering the gym with Doc, Lyra, Bon Bon, Derpy and the rest of the E.M.R. following behind on one side while Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Soarin, Caramel, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and everyone loyal to them enter the gym on the other side. Octavia takes this opportunity to shove Sunset off of her and stand up to face the E.M.R. side of the crowd.

"Sunset just attacked me because she doesn't trust me," she shouts, pointing at Sunset, who is getting up. "Her envy is consuming her to violence!"

Everyone in the crowd, both E.M.R. and Rainbooms Loyalists alike, stare at Octavia in disbelief.

"Sunset is not the kind of person who would lash out!" Twilight rebukes with all of the Rainbooms and their Loyalists nodding in agreement.

"Yeah, are you sure you're not just making stuff up, Tavi?" Vinyl asks.

"No, she's right. I did attack her," Sunset calls out proudly as she walks to the other side of the stage to face her Rainboom Loyalists who stare at her in shock. "I attacked her because she tried to take away my magic with Rough Draft's weapon because she doesn't trust the Magic of Friendship or me."

"Your sense of friendship is askew," Octavia growls. "You're just saying things out of greed because you will selfishly do whatever it takes to get what you want again. You don't represent friendship. You represent envy and selfish desires: all the things that were flowing in our minds when the Dazzlings attacked us. You have the magic that we of the Evil Magic Resistance swore to fight!"

The people of the E.M.R stare at their friend in shock and begin to glare angrily at the Rainbooms Loyalists, immediately believing her.

"The magic that flows in me is friendship, you incorrigible cow!" Sunset hisses. "You're just saying things to hide the fact that it is you and your 'friends' who want separation. That's all you have been doing ever since you created your little band. You've slowly broken the unity in this school, first by forming your group, then by having your buddy, Vinyl post that video, and then by using your fame for saving my baby to turn half the school against the people who value friendship. What you have staged here is clearly your next step in your pretentious plan!"

The Rainbooms Loyalists glare at Octavia and the rest of the E.M.R. angrily and shout words of agreement.

"Well, maybe we do want to go our own way away from you and your fairy princesses if that's your attitude!" Vinyl shouts angrily. "We can take care of ourselves.

"Now, hold on there!" Applejack shouts. "One little victory against a couple of girls with magic doesn't mean you can handle anything."

"Yeah!" Caramel shouts to support his girlfriend.

"But it's enough to save the one life that matters most to Octavia," Trixie mocks. "Trixie thought Rough Draft meant a lot to Sunset too. Or was Trixie and everyone else on our side right when we say he doesn't mean anything to her compared to her friends."

Everyone on the E.M.R.'s side 'oooo' ed at the comeback while the Rainbooms Loyalists are hot with anger.

"Hey, nobody disrespects my friend's love for her guy!" Rainbow Dash shouts angrily as her body begins to glow blue.

Before anyone knows it, Rainbow Dash transforms into her pony form and flies toward Trixie with her pegasus wings. Trixie only has a moment before she takes out her MN-DG and shoots a dart right at Rainbow Dash's stomach in panic. Everyone gasps in shock as Rainbow Dash falls to the ground in pain, and her pony wings, tail, and ears disappear. Soarin rushes to his girlfriend's side as she groans and looks at herself in shock of what just happened to her magic.

Suddenly, Sunset hops off the stage and kneels next to Rainbow Dash.

"Rainbow Dash, don't think about the dart; think about how loyal you are to your friends," she instructs. "Think about how you will do anything to help them in times of need."

Rainbow Dash looks at Sunset, confused but quietly obeys. Her face turns focused before she suddenly starts glowing again, and with a pop, her pony ears, tail, and wings pop up again, surprising everyone except Sunset.

"But...but...but that's not possible!" Doc shouts in disbelief. "I have advanced our darts so that we can permanently disable any use of the energy no matter what form it takes!"

"Except the Magic of Friendship is not just any form of energy, Doc," Sunset says proudly. "Like the friendships themselves, it's something that endures forever. Princess Twilight and I realized this when I was back in Equestria. Our Twilight drained the magic from me and the rest of our friends at the Friendship Games, and yet we still had the magic flowing inside of us. Your weapons may be able to take away magic in general, but it can never stop the most powerful magic of all because it will last forever."

Sunset turns to the Rainbooms, Caramel, Soarin, and their Loyalists and shouts, "Hear me, everyone! You all choose to follow my friends and me because you value our message of friendship and the strong bonds that you have gained through it all year. The magic isn't just inside the seven of us; it's in all of you. So think of what friendship means to you and how you bring your truest self to it. Passion, creativity, teamwork, strength, joy, trust, patience, thankfulness. Whatever it is, channel it, and the Magic of Friendship will appear for you and give you the chance to fight against those who would try to take it away from you."

The Rainbooms and the Loyalists look at each other and smile before they all close their eyes and focus like Rainbow Dash did. With multiple loud pops, the E.M.R., Sonata, and I stare in awe as they all change into their own pony forms. Fluttershy, Twilight, Scootaloo, Flash Sentry, Bulk Biceps, Soarin, and a third of the other Loyalists grow pegasus wings. A magic lasso pops into Applejack's hand, Rarity conjured a diamond shield, Pinkie Pie has two mini cupcake cannons, Fluttershy has a bow and a quilt full of blunt arrows, Soarin has a short sword, and Caramel has a club. All the other Loyalists form their own weapons and drop their MN-DGs before they prepare for an attack. Sunset turns to the appalled E.M.R. and grins.

"No matter what weapons you have, the Magic of Friendship will always endure just as strong as my love for my precious Rough Draft," she shouts as she starts to glow and with a final pop, her phoenix wings, tail, and two curved swords of fire appear, surprising everyone but me. The Rainbooms and their Loyalists gasp in surprise before they cheer as their eyes start to turn green

Octavia stares at Sunset, stunned before she smirks, picks up her cello club and shield, and walks off the stage to the E.M.R. side.

"An amusing spectacle, Sunset Shimmer," she says tauntingly. "But unlike you, I don't need magic to make the friendships I have with everyone here strong or make the love I have with my darling Rough Draft true. We've never needed magic for anything in our lives before your incident at the Fall Formal, and we only did during the last several months because you brought it into our world. So it's fine that you have all this magic against us because we have all the darts we need to gun you down until you lack the will to bring back your magic anymore."

Vinyl, Doc, Lyra, Bon Bon, Derpy, and the rest of the E.M.R shout in agreement. With their eyes also turning green, Doc takes out his pen, Vinyl prepares her bass cannon while the rest of them prepare their MN-DGs.

I stare at everyone in disbelief. No one is acting like themselves. It's like they're turning as animalistic against each other as they were during the Anon-a-miss scenario. Both of my exes glare at each other ready to lead the attack. At this point, I have had enough.

"STOP!" I shout as I jump off the stage and run to the center of the gym. "All of you are acting ridiculous. We're trying to hunt someone with evil magic that might try to kill us, and all you think about is who is better than the other or who should be with what. We're supposed to be in this together, and you're preparing to fight each other as if it's the Battle of the Bands all over aga - okay, you guys are marching."

My eyes widen as I turn to the Rainbooms Loyalists side as they slowly march toward the E.M.R. I turn to the E.M.R side to find that they are marching too.

"Uh, guys," I say nervously. "Please, stop."

"Darling," Octavia growls.

"Babe," Sunset snarls.

"Get out of the way, now!" They shout simultaneously.

Sonata only has a few seconds to grab my hand and drag me back to the stage before both forces clash.

PreviousChapters Next