• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 2,977 Views, 243 Comments

A Search for Something More - HAKDurbin



Rough Draft is a senior in Canterlot High who writes fan fiction and dreams of finding love. He's also the only person in the entire school who still doesn't believe that Sunset Shimmer is reformed.

  • ...
31
 243
 2,977

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35: Sonata's Choice

The next day, Sunset and I ask Sonata, Caramel, Soarin, and the Rainbooms about the Jedi necklace during lunch. Unsurprisingly, they were just as confused as we are about it. Soarin and Caramel naturally thought it was cool like I do, but even they are scratching their heads over it.

"And there was no note or anything? It was just gift-wrapped with a card that just had your name on it?" Soarin asks, having trouble processing what Sunset and I are explaining to him.

"That's about the gist of it," I say. "Gift-wrapped, card taped on top of it and lying on the ground under one of the bushes completely ignored until Sunset saw it when we were walking home."

"Strange," Caramel says. "But hey, you get a cool Old Republic necklace out of it."

"Indeed, it already makes a fine addition to my other Star Wars stuff. I haven't even taken it out of the box because I'm too busy happily wearing the locket my sunshine got for me," I admit with a smirk. "Though it's still curious, to say the least."

"Agreed," Sunset says before turning to Caramel. "On a different subject, have you and AJ decided on a place for your dinner date?"

"We have, actually," Caramel answers with a smile while turning to Applejack, who is talking to Rarity and Fluttershy on the other side of the lunch table. "AJ has recommended that we try this new place called the Curly Sombrero."

Immediately, Sonata, who is sitting on the other side of Sunset and me, gasps in excitement.

"Oh my gosh, I love that place!" She exclaims. "Me, AJ, and the other Apples tried it last week. I can't remember the last time I ever had a taco so good."

"Sonata, that's what you say every time it's Taco Tuesday," I say with an amused smile. "You've never had a taco that you didn't like."

"I know, that's why I love them so much," Sonata says bubbly. "Apart from you guys and the Apples, nothing makes me happier than tacos. They are pretty much the one thing that has made me happy during the past hundred years or so before I got my appeal. Nothing can beat how good they are."

"I wouldn't be too sure of that," I say as I wrap my arm around Sunset's waist, which makes her smile and blush. "You might find a certain special someone to fall in love with like me. I mean, you did say that you were hoping for that back when Octa -" I hold my tongue when I notice Sunset raising her eyebrow and glaring at me before I clear my throat and continue cautiously. "When she-who-must-not-be-named and I visited you in juvie."

Sonata frowns at this.

"Yeah, I did, but I doubt I ever will," she says sadly. "I mean, everyone else in the school has started to treat me nicely lately, but there's no one here that I particularly like or know of anyone who might be interested in me. I don't know. Maybe there's no one out there for me, or I'm not gonna find him until I'm much older or something."

Sunset and I look at her sadly before Sunset gives Sonata a comforting smile.

"Hey, if there's one thing I've slowly learned about love over the past several months, it's that it can pull through in the end," she says as she wraps both of her arms around me tightly and lays her head on my right shoulder - or her shoulder as she likes to call it, and continues. "Remember, I practically had to fight teeth and nail to be on peaceful terms with Rough Draft, much less make him my boyfriend, but it was worth it in the end. Though I must admit that it's been almost a week and I still can't believe he's finally mine."

"Neither can I, but I'm happy that I am," I say with a smile before I kiss Sunset on the forehead and turn to Sonata. "Honestly, Sonata, I think finding love is just something that comes when you least expect it. Sunset and I doubted it would happen, and now we're together, and even Soarin and Caramel thought Rainbow Dash and Applejack would be no more than crushes, and now Soarin and Rainbow are together, and Caramel finally has a date with AJ. Someday, the same thing will happen to you. You'll see."

Sonata gives us a sad, appreciative smile before she frowns again.

"Well, that's not the only reason why I doubt that I will find someone," she says.

"What do you mean?" Caramel asks.

Sonata sighs heavily before she answers.

"Adagio and Aria are still out there," she says. "And I feel like they could still be a threat."

Caramel, Sunset, and I frown, concerned.

"You still think that they might come back and somehow ruin your new life?" Caramel asks.

Sonata winces before she answers.

"That and more," she says. "I'm worried that one of these days the police will come and tell me that one or both of them are dead or something. I know they betrayed me and everything, but after all these years, I'd feel better knowing where they are and if they're safe. Heck, I'd feel better if they are put back in jail and don't escape this time. Maybe spending a few years or so of their now mortal lives in a cell will put some sense into them after centuries of manipulating, stealing, and trying to gain more power. It would also give me peace if we could find out why they were so determined to go back to Equestria. Maybe I could have one last talk with either of them so that I find out what scared them to attack CHS so I can get some closure from them like you did with your parents, Sunset."

Neither I, Caramel, or Sunset say anything. The only sound coming from our table is Soarin and the other Rainbooms talking away, unaware of our conversation. We don't know what words of comfort or support we can say for her, but then Sunset releases her hug on me and takes one of Sonata's hands.

"I understand," she says. "It isn't as easy to move on as you thought it was. My parents and Princess Celestia are probably the people I've known the longest, which is why I wanted to see them more than any pony in Equestria. You and your sisters stuck together for a thousand years, that's gotta be worse."

"Exactly," Sonata says. "I don't want to try to patch things up with either of them. I said abandoning me was the last straw, and I meant it. But maybe it would be good to know what was it that made Dagi's life more important than mine."

With that, Sonata quietly goes back to her lunch, clearly uninterested in saying anything else while Sunset and I look at each other, worried about our light blue friend.



*****************************************************************************************



A couple of hours later, I make my way to seventh period with Ms. Cheerilee, where Sunset waits for me by the door, and we greet each other with a kiss.

"How was Mr. Iron Will's today?" She asks.

"Ah, you know; fifty pushups, a hundred sit-ups and at least ten rounds of dodgeball," I answer. "So a slow day in gym class, sarcastically speaking."

"Well, it's nice to know you didn't get your muscles 'destroyed' like you said they were yesterday," Sunset says with a smirk.

"Hey, they were too!" I pout. "What do you expect when he decides that we lift super heavy weights?"

Sunset rolls her eyes before she takes my hand, saying, "Let's just go in, babe."

I mumble, "Fine," before we walk inside the classroom hand in hand to our seats in the back rows. Our hands reluctantly part as we grab our notebooks and pen from our backpacks just in time for the final bell to ring, announcing that seventh period has started, and Ms. Cheerilee begins her lecture.

I focus on the lecture (as best as my attention span can) until I feel my phone vibrate, and I secretly open my phone to see that Sunset has a message for me.

Sunset: How are you feeling about what Sonata said earlier?

I frown a little before I type my answer.

Me: Honestly, I'm a little concerned. She has a point that there's probably something up that caused her sisters to attack the school, but I'm not sure seeing them again would be good for her.

Sunset: You don't want to find out why they abandoned her?

Me: Well, I do and don't at the same time. I guess after hearing her side of the story, I'd feel better if Adagio and Aria stays away from Sonata forever. I'm worried that they could pop up and cause trouble for not just her but all of us even without magic. They did find a way to gain the upper hand at their trial, after all.

Sunset: That's true. Adagio did beat up you and you-know-who.

Me: Exactly. Add that with hearing so much of how they treated her for a thousand years, and I'd rather she stays away from them so she can stay happy with the Apples. I know that sounds like I don't want her to get closure, but I'm not as comfortable with the idea as I was with you and your parents. I'm just worried she won't be able to handle it well.

Sunset gives me a sad smile but doesn't respond right away due to Ms. Cheerilee turning to face us while saying her lecture. It takes a few minutes before Ms. Cheerilee turns back to the board, and Sunset quickly types on her phone and sends her reply.

Sunset: I understand. It does sound like she's been through a lot. Though I hope you understand that if there's an Equestria-related reason why they left her, I'd like to know why. I hope it isn't, but if there's another threat behind the whole thing I'd like to know about it.

Me: That's fair. Though at the same time, I hope it isn't, and they just tried to go to your world because they're being hunted down by gangs or something. Two life-threatening magical encounters are enough.

Sunset: Yeah, I'd rather you and the others don't get brainwashed again. Though if something does happen, the others and I have agreed to send each other an emergency text if we discover something that could threaten us.

Me: Smart thinking.

Sunset: Thanks, it's mine.

Me: Makes sense.

Sunset: Oh? How's that?

Me: Because last time I checked, I'm dating the smartest girl in two worlds.

Sunset blushes and nudges my elbow while smiling.

Sunset: Smooth.

Me: I try. ;)

Sunset: All joking aside, life has been pretty quiet since the Battle of the Bands - Anon-a-Miss incident aside. And while I personally would like Sonata to get her closure, I hope whatever happened with Adagio and Aria is not something magic related. I'd rather the only magic related thing to worry about is finding out about how I and the other Rainbooms can pony up. I know that I can gain those phoenix wings and tail because I think about my friends or you, but I'm not as sure about why we get pony ears and tails when we play our music.

I look at her curiously while I cautiously text without Ms. Cheerilee noticing.

Me: Maybe you should experiment with it while you guys are practicing some time.

Sunset thinks for a moment before she responds.

Sunset: Well, it couldn't hurt to find out while there still aren't any sirens or demons to worry about.

Me: And Balrogs?

Sunset: Sorry, babe, there are no Balrogs in Equestria.

Me: What? Boo! 😟

Sunset: 🙄 You're such a nerd.

Me: But I'm your nerd. 😘

Sunset: Yes. Yes, you are. 😘

With that last message, we smile at each other and hold hands under our desks where Ms. Cheerilee can't see us. Eventually, the final bell rings, we collect our things before Sunset, and I exit the classroom with her hugging my right arm and laying her head on my right shoulder as we walk.

"Mmmm, your shoulder is so comfy," she says in a flirty voice.

"You're only saying that to make me blush," I say as I feel my cheeks already warming up from her compliment.

"Oh, what can I say, babe? I love taking advantage that I can make you look cuter than you already are whenever and however I want," she says with a playful smirk which turns my face deep red at this point.

"Ugh, at this point, I might turn red for good before school is over," I complain. "If we have kids that all get red skin because you made me blush that much, it's your fault."

Sunset snickers at my complaint.

"I'll keep that in mind," she says, rolling her eyes before it hits her, and she looks at me with a surprised look. "Do you think that far about us already?"

I look away bashfully before I reluctantly answer.

"Sort of," I say nervously. "I mean I don't know if you'll ever want kids, but -"

Sunset puts her finger on my mouth and turns my head to face her before she says, "I do want to have kids someday, and I'd love for you to be the father."

I smile and ask, "Really? Cause I honestly thought that given your upbringing and all that -"

"Yeah, I know. If you asked me before the Fall Formal, I'd probably be disgusted at the idea of children, thinking they would delay my plans for world domination and all that stuff," she confesses. "But I have been teasing the idea that maybe one day I will find someone special and have at least two kids. I don't think a lot about it because it's already taking a lot of work to understand what it means to have friends and now have a boyfriend. Might want to give both a lot more time before really teasing the idea of becoming a mother."

"Understandable," I say as we continue to walk down the hall. "At least you've accomplished the find-someone-special part,"

Sunset smiles lovingly as she snuggles on my shoulder some more.

"And I couldn't be happier," she whispers blissfully.

I smile lovingly back before I kiss her head as we continue to exit the school building. We proceed to the parking lot where Sunset's motorcycle is waiting for us until...

"Rough Draft, Sunset, wait up!"

Sunset lifts her head from my shoulder as we curiously turn around to find Caramel running towards us in a panicked look.

"Caramel? What's up?" I ask as he catches up with us.

He takes a few heavy breaths before he answers.

"My big date with Applejack is in three hours!" he exclaims.

Sunset and I look at each other, confused before we turn back to our friend.

"And that's a problem because...?" Sunset asks.

"Because I don't know what to do!" He panics. "This is my one big chance, and I don't want to screw it up, and yet I know I'm going to screw it up somehow. I don't know how yet, and I'm unprepared for what's going to happen!"

"Okay, okay, calm down, dude," I say. "You're gonna be fine. Just be yourself. Remember that it's you that she's interested in."

"That's just it, the person she's interested in is a screwup!" he exclaims. "Something is going to go wrong during the date, I just know it."

"Okay, so what do you want us to do about it?" Sunset questions.

Caramel hesitates before he answers.

"I don't know. I didn't think this far," he says with a nervous chuckle. "I kinda focused on just expressing how nervous I am to you guys."

We both give him unamused looks before Sunset scratches her chin in thought.

"Well, maybe we could keep an eye on you two like Rough Draft and you-know-who did for you with Lyra and Bon Bon," she suggests. "We could find a way to let you know whether or not you're doing well or something like that."

"Really? That would be great!" He says thankfully before he gives Sunset a skeptical look. "But could you cut it out with the you-know-who thing? We all know you mean Octavia, and it's not like we're going to have any encounters with her or the other E.M.R. guys anytime soon."

Sunset raises her eyebrow before she wraps her arms around my arm again possessively and replies, "Well, what can I say? I'd rather we forget about her the sooner, the better. It's not that I'm bitter; it's just that she broke my man's heart worse than I did, and I did see him and want him as my boyfriend first. So, I'd rather we think less about her and more about the two of us."

Caramel raises his eyebrow before he turns to me, and I shrug and say, "Hey man, I get your perspective, but if trying to forget about she-who-must-not-be-named is what makes Sunset happy, then that's what I'm gonna do. I've made her unhappy long enough, hating her guts and everything, and it's time I make up for it."

I take one of Sunset's hands while she still hugs my arm and kiss it to back up my statement to which Sunset responds with a loving smile and a happy sigh.

Caramel rolls his eyes and says, "Rough Draft, only a hopeless romantic like you can find a way to defend how determined your girlfriend is to make sure you never mention your ex-girlfriend's name again."

"Well, thank you," I say with a smirk. "I take pride in my work as a boyfriend."

"You should," Sunset says with her signature smirk before she lets go of my arm and walks over to Caramel and places her hand on his shoulder. "But back to the subject at hand, I honestly don't think you're going to need our help with trying to get Applejack to like you. I think she likes you just the way you are, and she probably would like for it to be just the two of you."

Caramel sighs before he says, "I know, but it's still a little nerve-wracking to be alone with her on a real date."

"Well, maybe we could find a good excuse to somehow be at least near the restaurant," I suggest.

"But how are we going to find a way to be there with an honest reason that won't raise suspicion from Applejack?" Sunset questions.

I think about it for a few seconds before I get an idea.



*********************************************************************************************



"Yay tacos!"

Sonata squeals in excitement as Sunset and I follow her to the Curly Sombrero a couple hours after talking with Caramel. We planned to come to the restaurant early and grab some food before Caramel and Applejack come. And to make it seem like we're not going to spy on them, we took Sonata with us, which I thought we should do anyway to cheer her up after our conversation during lunch.

"I'm so happy that you decided to grab some tacos with me, Rough Draft, my buddy," she says.

"Hey, what can I say?" I respond. "We're keeping an eye out for Caramel, but we thought it best to take you with us since you and I never got around to using that raincheck on grabbing some tacos with you, and I thought we could kill two birds with one stone."

"I have to admit this is not a half-bad idea," Sunset says. "I guess you're due for a good one for the sake of your best friend, babe."

"Thank you...I think," I say hesitantly to my girlfriend.

"Oh, it's a compliment, alright," she says. "Take it from a girl who has a collection of bad plans like disobeying her teacher and turning into a raging she-demon with an Element of Harmony."

"Tell me more, sunshine, I love flattery," I say with a flirty smile as we are about to kiss before Sonata interrupts us.

"Hey, none of that!" she says with a pout. "We're here for tacos not for going kissy-kissy, goo-goo for the billionth time in a week."

Sunset and I pull back just a centimeter away from our lips touching before I give Sonata a playful glare.

"Et Tu, Sonata?" I say before sighing. "I guess if even you are telling us to cut it out, then we are overdoing it."

"I guess so," Sunset says with a shrug. "Besides, she's right; we're here for tacos and not for smooching...yet."

The two of us give each other flirtatious looks before we enter the restaurant with Sonata. After ordering our food, we decide to eat at one of the outside tables, figuring that we could spy on Applejack and Caramel though one of the windows outside so Applejack won't know what we're up to.

"Ooo, I'm so excited for you two to try these," Sonata says with anticipation. "Plus, I can't wait to see how Applejack and Caramel's first date goes!"

"Me neither," I admit. "It's still hard to believe that it finally happened. Though it would've been nice if they just got together at Pinkie's party like with Soarin and Rainbow Dash."

"Yeah, I have to admit that it took long enough for Applejack to do something about her feelings for Caramel," Sunset says. "She kinda was as stubborn about her feelings as you were, babe."

"I'd be hurt if that wasn't accurate," I say plainly.

"Yeah, I hope for none of that if I ever find somebody special," Sonata says. "I'd rather it becomes love at first sight for both of us or at least we like each other not long after our first meeting or something. And he would have to be super cute and have never heard of Equestria."

"Really, Sonata? You wouldn't want him to know who you were?" Sunset asks. "I mean, it would be hard for anyone who isn't from CHS to believe that you're over a thousand years old and everything, but if he falls in love with you, he will want to know everything about you. I mean, the fact that Rough Draft wants to know about all of me, both good and bad, is one of the reasons why I love him so much."

I smile at my girlfriend while Sonata gives her, her own small smile before she responds.

"Yeah, but I hope that even if the guy for me does, he's gonna take the magic and Equestria stuff as an afterthought and overwise views me as if I'm just another member of the Apple family or something," she says. "I mean, I know that's not true, but after these past few months, I would love it if they adopted me. Granny would legally be my Granny, AJ and Apple Bloom would be my new sisters, Big Mac would be my big brother - heck, I probably would eventually have three sisters if Big Mac and Fluttershy get married."

Sunset and I smile at our friend's wish.

"The Apples do treat you like a part of their family, Sonny. It would be wonderful if they adopted you." I say before I look past Sonata's shoulder. "Speaking of which, our targets have arrived."

Sunset and Sonata turn their heads around to see Applejack and Caramel walking towards the restaurant, talking to each other as they walk. They look like they're already having a good time with Applejack doing most of the talking while Caramel listens intently and commenting on whatever Applejack is talking about.

"Stay cool," Sunset commands as we turn around, trying to act casual. Caramel and Applejack come inside with Caramel holding the door for Applejack. We break our act and look through the window next to us and watch them take their orders.

"Looks like they're off to a good start," I say.

"I agree," Sunset says. "It looks like Caramel is handling this much better than he was earlier."

"Ooo, was he scared out of his mind?" Sonata asks curiously.

"You could say that," I answer before the entrance door opens to reveal a guy holding a tray of food. He walks over to us and hands each of us our food. After the three of us say thank you before he goes back into the building, Sunset and I start to dig in while Sonata is already on her second taco.

"Whoa, Sonata, slow down, you're gonna choke if you eat that fast," Sunset says.

"I can't help it, it's so good," Sonata manages to say with her mouth full.

"Still, you really could choke eating that fast," I say after swallowing my first bite. "Although, I will admit that this is already a good steak taco."

"See? What did I tell you?" Sonata says after finally swallowing her food. "They got some really good stuff here."

"Well, you still should at least chew slowly if you're going to stuff your mouth that much," Sunset says before she finally starts on her plate of tacos. "Hmm, this is good."

"Yay, two for two!" Sonata exclaims. "See, nothing can beat just sitting here and enjoying delicious tac -"

Before she could continue, her voice suddenly dies in her throat, and her eyes widen as she looks past Sunset and me in horror. We turn around to find two police officers, a man and a woman, walking towards us. Sonata quickly grabs me by the shirt and starts to hold me as a human shield, whimpering at the sight of the two officers.

"Ms. Sonata Dusk?" The female policemen asks.

"Y-y-yes?" Sonata says, still hiding behind my back.

"My name is Detective Stewart, and this is my partner, Detective Sentry, We're gonna need you to come with us." The policeman says.

Sonata grabs my shirt tighter and whimpers more. I feel tears beginning to fall on my shirt. I take Sonata's hand for comfort while Sunset steps in.

"Excuse me, officer, what is this about?" Sunset asks as she steps in front of us. "Is Sonata in any trouble?"

"No ma'am, we just need to talk to her about a matter concerning her sisters." Detective Sentry says calmly.

"Is there any way we can come with her? She's more comfortable when she's around friends." I ask as I continually try to calm Sonata down.

"I'm afraid not. This only concerns Ms. Dusk and the Apples family," Detective Stewart says firmly.

Sonata hugs me even tighter as her fear of the two police officers grows.

"Are any of the Apples aware of this?" Sunset asks.

"Yes, we are in contact with Mrs. Smith, who informed us where you are. She's going to meet us there," Detective Sentry answers.

Sonata continues whimpering in fear while Sunset and I look at each other, afraid to tell Sonata to go with the police officers before the restaurant door bursts open with an angry Applejack storming towards us and a worried Caramel following behind.

"Excuse me, officer, is there a problem here?" She asks the officers.

"Ma'am, this only concerns this young lady and her guardians," Detective Sentry says calmly.

"Applejack is one of the Apples guarding Sonata," Sunset says. "Let her come with you."

The two detectives look at each other for a moment before Detective Stewart sighs and says, "Very well."

Sonata continues whimpering in fear as Applejack walks behind her, gently unwraps her arms from me, quietly tells her that it's okay, and she's here in Sonata's ear. Sonata begins to calm down but is still frightened as Applejack holds her for comfort and escorts her to follow the police officers. Applejack gives Caramel an apologetic look before she and Sonata go inside the police car, and it drives away.

Neither I, Sunset, or Caramel say a word for a couple of minutes. Eventually, Caramel sighs sadly and says, "I knew something bad was going to happen, but now I wish it was me making a fool of myself."

"Yeah, me too," I say. "Did you see the way those police officers scared Sonata? It was like when she was on trial with her sisters all over again."

"Let's not jump to conclusions," Sunset advises. "They did say she's not in trouble. They could be bringing her to the police station for several reasons concerning Adagio and Aria."

Caramel and I grimace at the thought of what Adagio and Aria could be up to before Caramel asks, "So what do we do?"

"We have to tell the others," Sunset says seriously. "Text them to meet us at Sweet Apple Acres as soon as they can. If there's something serious going on that concerns Sonata, she's going to want to tell all of us when she gets back."

"Agreed," I say. "Why don't you send your emergency group text to the other Rainbooms while I inform Soarin."

"Good idea," Sunset says. "Caramel, are you coming?"

"I'll catch up with you guys," he answers. "Applejack and I got here on foot from the farm, so I'll just run back while you two go on your motorcycle."

"Understood," Sunset says.

So Caramel starts running back to the farm while Sunset and I send our respective texts. When we finish, we turn to each other, and Sunset's face turns into one of worry as she sighs.

"Let's hope I didn't jinx it when I said there wasn't going to be any magic stuff anytime soon," she says sadly.

"Don't count on it yet," I say, placing my hand on her supportively. "It's like you said, Sonata's not in trouble, and even though it concerns her sisters, we still don't know what happened. They could have just been arrested again for all we know. We're just gonna have to get the group together and find out when Granny, Applejack, and Sonata come back from the station."

Sunset sighs again before she gives me an appreciative smile.

"You're right. Thanks, babe," she says.

"Anytime, sunshine," I say with a smile.

We look at each other a little longer before we proceed to her motorcycle, put on our helmets, and begin riding away.



******************************************************************************************



3rd person P.O.V.

Unknown to Rough Draft and Sunset Shimmer, a mysterious figure with dark blue jeans and a light blue hoodie walks over to their table where their food is left behind. The figure takes out a camera and starts taking pictures of Sonata's plate of tacos.




**********************************************************************************************


Rough Draft's P.O.V.

It's been a couple of hours since we left the Curley Sombrero, and I'm feeling more uneasy by the minute. When Sunset, Caramel, and I made it to Sweet Apple Acres, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom were waiting for us, looking just as concerned as we are about poor Sonata. According to Big Mac, all the cops told Granny Smith was that it did concern Adagio and Aria. When they said they were going to take Sonata to the station, Granny demanded that she be there with them, knowing full well how Sonata is still scared to be around the police after CHS was vandalized. Not long afterward, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Soarin arrived, and we brought them up to speed. After that, we just stayed in the house waiting for a text or a call from Granny or Applejack. No one has said a word or anything. We just sit on the couches in the family room, worried for our scared, blue friend.

Finally, we hear a car parking from a distance, and race to the front door. By the time we make it to the door, it opens slowly to reveal a saddened Granny Smith, a worried Applejack, and a wooden Sonata. Immediately, we all shower the three of them with questions before Granny Smith holds out her hand for silence.

"Hold on there, youngsters," She says calmly. "This is something better discussed in the family room."

We calmly obey Granny and return to our seats in the family room while Granny, Applejack, and Sonata stand in front of us. They stay quiet for a moment before Granny speaks again.

"As you probably have guessed, the police wanted to talk to Sonata about her sisters," she says. "There has been an incident that involves them."

We all look at each other, concerned with what she's talking about. Granny turns to Applejack, giving her a look as if to ask if she should tell us what happened or should Applejack. Applejack nods to Granny, saying she will before she sighs and turns to us.

"There was a fire a couple of weeks ago," Applejack says, making Rarity and Fluttershy gasp. "Nobody was killed, but the fire consumed an apartment complex that did seriously injure a couple dozen people, and the police have reason to believe that Adagio and Aria are responsible."

"But how can that be?" Rainbow Dash asks. "They aren't the kind to do stuff like that, are they?"

"That's what Sonata said to them," Applejack answers. "But the only residents who weren't injured were two girls that matched their description and weren't around when the fire was quenched. The landlord discussed it with the police, and it looks like they moved into one of the apartments with their names changed and everything."

"Is that all that the police came to Sonata for?" Sunset asks, concerned.

Granny and Applejack grimace at the question. They hesitate on the best way to answer before Sonata spoke quietly.

"The police want me to come with them and try to help them find my sisters," she says.

Our eyes widen at this, unable to believe what she said.

"Are you kidding us?" Soarin asks.

"I'm afraid not," Applejack says. "They're starting to become more determined than ever to hunt them down after people have gotten hurt. So, they want Sonata to come with them and help them find her sisters in exchange for less attention on their side."

"But I thought Sonata told her everything she knows about her sisters apart from all the magic stuff," Soarin says.

"I did," Sonata says with her face still wooden as she looks down at the floor. "But it looks like it's not enough for them. They really want to catch Aria and Dagi, and as far as they are concerned, I'm their only hope. They're my sisters, and I was one of their partners-in-crime who escaped with them before Rough Draft and Tavi captured me. I could get into worse trouble if I refuse to help them, especially if my sisters do something worse. I'm still a convict, and while Granny and Applejack can vouch for me, they still demand that they take me with them. Plus, I want to."

My mouth drops at her last few words.

"You can't be serious?!" I exclaim.

"I am," she answers. "I partly want to so that the police will leave me alone for good, but I'm also worried about my sisters. They've been ruthless before, but starting a fire and almost getting people killed is not like them. I'm worried about them as it is with how scared they were when we attacked CHS, but it sounds like whatever happened has made them much worse. This could be my chance to find out, and maybe help them somehow."

"But Sonata, you don't know if you and the police will find them or if you'll get the answers you want," Rarity points out.

"And you could get hurt," Fluttershy says worryingly.

"I know," Sonata says sadly. "But I'm willing to risk it. Besides, I'll be protected by Detective Stewart and Detective Sentry, and it's not like Dagi and Aria have magic anymore. Besides, I don't think I can handle staying here and being happy with all of you knowing that they're out there, causing serious trouble."

Nothing is said right away after that. Eventually, I sigh sadly.

"Okay, Sonata," I say. "If that's how you feel, I understand. Just know that we're all going to be worried for you until you get back."

"Thanks, buddy," Sonata says, giving me a sad smile. "It means a lot to hear that."

"You better come back soon so that I can throw you a big party!" Pinkie Pie demands.

Sonata chuckles lightly and says, "I'll do my best."

"When do you leave?" Soarin asks.

"Tonight," Applejack says for Sonata. "They let us come back here to grab some of her stuff and tell you guys before we bring her back and they go to the remains of the apartment complex."

Our faces darken at this news, unprepared to hear that she's leaving so soon. Granny gestures Sonata to go to her room and grab her stuff, and Sonata quietly obeys and leaves the living room. After she leaves, nothing is said as we wait reluctantly for her to finish. After a minute, Sonata comes back with her backpack filled with her things, and we all get up to say our words of goodbye.

"Be safe," Fluttershy says as she pulls Sonata into a hug.

"We're gonna miss you!" Apple Bloom says sadly.

"Eeyup," says Big Mac.

"I'm gonna miss you too!" Sonata says as tears run down her face.

"Dress warm," Rarity says.

"Give your sisters a kick in the butt for me," Rainbow Dash says with an encouraging grin.

"Don't forget that there will be a party when you get back," says Pinkie Pie.

"Take care of yourself," says Caramel.

"Yeah, be brave out there," says Soarin.

"I will," Sonata says with a small smile before she turns to me. Nothing is said for a moment before she pulls me into a big hug that I immediately return.

"Be careful out there," I whisper in her ear. "And if you ever get a chance to taze Adagio for me, please take it."

Sonata giggles quietly before she breaks the hug.

"I will, buddy," she says before she turns to Sunset and points her finger at my girlfriend warningly. "You better take good care of my buddy while I'm gone, Sunset. I don't wanna hear that he got brainwashed again or worse when I get back."

Sunset chuckles lightly before she hugs Sonata.

"I promise I won't let any harm come to my baby," she says, which makes me blush. Darn nickname.

"Good," Sonata says pleased before she breaks the hug and looks at all of us one last time before she and Granny Smith go outside, hop into Granny's car and drive away.

None of us say anything for a few minutes again before Applejack says, "Alright, y'all, shows over, and I think we better get some shut-eye."

Soarin and the other Rainbooms excluding Sunset say words of agreement as they all say bye before they leave for the night while Big Mac escorts Apple Bloom upstairs, leaving just me, Sunset, Caramel, and Applejack alone. Applejack then turns to Caramel and looks at him apologetically.

"I'm sorry our date got interrupted, Caramel," she says.

"It's not your fault," Caramel says. "It's not like you knew the police were gonna come and cause all that. We can always reschedule."

Applejack smiles at his proposal and says," Sure, but in one condition."

"Anything," Caramel promises.

"Leave Sunset and Rough Draft out of it," Applejack says plainly.

Sunset and I look at each other surprised.

"You knew?" Sunset asks.

"Sunset, you picked Sonata up at our front door," Applejack answers with a smirk on her face and her arms crossed. "It's a little hard not to figure out what you were trying to do when I saw the three of you again at the same restaurant Caramel, and I were going to."

"Aw man," I whine. "And I thought I had a really good idea this time."

Applejack chuckles and gives me a sympathetic look.

"Sorry, partner. Better luck next time," she says before turning to Caramel. "All joking aside, I get that you want everything to go well and all, but I would appreciate it if you just let it be just us."

Caramel hesitates at the idea but relents as he smiles at Applejack.

"If that is what you wish, m'lady, then it shall be done," he says, giving Applejack a small bow that makes the rest of us chuckle.



*******************************************************************************************



Shortly after their talk, Applejack decides to give Caramel a ride home while Sunset takes me home. Neither of us say anything before we get into her motorcycle as we are still processing everything that has happened. When we make it to my house, we take off our helmets, and she walks me to the front door before she speaks.

"So," she says.

"So," I say back.

"Are you gonna be okay?" she asks worryingly.

I look at her cyan eyes and give her a sad but assuring smile.

"Yeah, I think I'll be okay," I say. "It's gonna be hard not to worry about her finding her sisters, magic or no, but I don't think she would want us to worry too much for her."

Sunset gives me a small smile before she caresses my cheek comfortingly.

"I agree," She says encouragingly. "I think she would want us to focus on continuing our lives while she looks for them. I'm sure she's gonna come back."

"Yeah I do too," I agree. "Hope she doesn't take too long, though. Don't want her to miss out on the complete remainder of the school year."

"I hear that," Sunset says. "Until then, though, I better get home. I'm pretty tired."

"Sounds good," I say. "I love you."

Sunset smiles warmly before she says, "I love you too, Rough Draft," and she leans in for a kiss. After we part, we continue to stare into each other's eyes before she reluctantly turns around and walks over to her motorcycle and drives away.

PreviousChapters Next