• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 2,977 Views, 243 Comments

A Search for Something More - HAKDurbin



Rough Draft is a senior in Canterlot High who writes fan fiction and dreams of finding love. He's also the only person in the entire school who still doesn't believe that Sunset Shimmer is reformed.

  • ...
31
 243
 2,977

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47: Unexpected Visits

A Search for Something More

By: HAKDurbin

Part 3: War


Third person P.O.V.

Silence.

Cold, dull, boring silence.

This is all that comes to Adagio's mind as she lays on her hard, unpleasant bed inside her small, gray cell, wearing an orange jail suit, and her hair is completely shaved off. She still has bandages all around her nose after Octavia Melody hit her in the face with her cello-shaped shield. The doctors say her nose will be permanently crooked.

But none of that matters to Adagio. What matters is that she's trapped. Locked in a cramped cell with nothing but a hard bed and a toilet and sink mixed together.

There was a hearing two days ago for the charges that Rough Draft's parents pressed. With their charges added to the ones she and Aria where charged with when they were first arrested with Sonata, the judge sentenced them to separate tight security prisons where they will be spending the next thirty years without parole. The last time she saw Aria, she was screaming her head off at Adagio, claiming it was all her fault as security was dragging them away when the hearing ended.

But what stood out from that hearing the most was Rough Draft himself. He testified against the two ex-sirens, thus sealing their fate further, but he wasn't himself. He looked broken inside, with lifeless eyes and a cold voice that sounded like he didn't care about what was going on in the moment. When the judge asked what was with his demeanor, his parents' lawyer explained that he's going through a rough time personally. It was then that Adagio realized that out of everybody that came to support him that day, his girlfriend, Sunset Shimmer, was nowhere in sight. Even his ex, Octavia Melody, and her friends were there to give their fake story of how they saved his life, and yet the one person expected to be by his side when he wasn't testifying was completely absent. Octavia Melody, in particular, looked heartbroken as she constantly glanced at the boy, obviously knowing what was wrong. It was the most amusing thing for Adagio before the judge crushed her entrainment when he announced her sentence.

Suddenly, there is a loud banging sound coming from the bars of Adagio's cell, and she jumps in surprise and sits up to see a security guard on the other side.

"Got a visitor," he says bluntly. "Face the wall and put your hands behind your back."

"I thought I wasn't allowed visitors," Adagio says, confused.

"The boy's parents allowed someone to visit you before your transfer," the guard says bluntly. "Now, face the wall and move your hands behind your back."

Adagio frowns in annoyance. She knows there can be only one person who would want to see her before they take her to a prison away from Canterlot. Robotically, she does as she is told, and the jail door opens electronically. The guard enters and cuffs Adagio before he drags her by the arm, saying, "Let's go."

The guard escorts her to a small visiting room where a table is set in the center. Sonata is standing on the other side with a sad look, and an old, green-skinned woman stands next to her. The guard uncuffs Adagio and orders her to sit and she robotically obeys while the guard gestures Sonata to come forward. The old woman places her hand on Sonata's shoulder concerned, and Sonata turns her head and gives her a sad smile and puts her hand on top of the woman's, appreciative of the support. Then she walks over and sits opposite from Adagio.

Nothing is said for two minutes.

"Well, get on with it," Adagio says impatiently. "Start crying and whining, 'Oh Dagi, why did you do it?' or whatever childish thing you have to say."

Sonata winces at these words but remains silent much to Adagio's impatience.

"Come on!" She barks. "Don't you have anything to say you stupid, worthless idiot?!"

The old woman clenches her fists in anger as if she's threatening Adagio to be silent. Adagio ignores her warning and keeps her eyes on Sonata, who sighs beside she finally speaks.

"You know," she begins. "Ever since you left me alone at that warehouse, I've been thinking about what to say or how I'd act around you if I ever saw you again. I did imagine that I would be crying, weeping, maybe even yelling at you after what you did to my buddy."

"Aw, are we upset that I gave the guy who tased you a couple boo b -" Adagio begins before Sonata interrupts.

"I'm not finished," she says sharply. "I've been thinking about what to say to make you understand how much you hurt me, but now as I look at you with your gorgeous hair gone, your nose broken, and you're soon to spend thirty years of what's left of your mortal life in a cramped cell, I can't help but be sad for you while at the same time truly hate you for everything you did. To think that for over a thousand years, I followed your lead as you commanded time and time again without hesitation, trying my best to please you and Aria despite my faults. You two died nothing in return but make me feel pathetic, and now I see for the first time that you're the pathetic one. You're going to spend a long time trapped in a cell while life goes on without either of you."

"And what about you?" Adagio snaps. "You think you can turn your back on the past just because you're part of that friendship cause with the Rainbooms and their boys? You can hide it all you want, but deep down, all you are is a pathetic former siren from Equestria named Sonata Dusk."

"Not anymore," Sonata says. "I'm not hoping to be Sonata Dusk anymore."

Adagio scoffs and impatiently asks, "What are you talking about?"

Sonata turns to the old woman and points at her.

"This is Granny Smith," she says. "I've been living with her, and Applejack, and her siblings since I got my appeal. Two weeks after you kidnapped Rough Draft, they surprised me by asking if I want Granny to adopt me as her granddaughter. In six months, I won't be Sonata Dusk anymore; I will be Sonata Apple."

Adagio doesn't say anything. She raises her eyebrow and glances at the old woman named Granny Smith. Granny Smith glares at the convict and gives a small but proud nod.

"You sound pretty proud to be a part of a group of farmers," Adagio condescends.

"More than I ever would have as a siren adored by everyone," Sonata says.

"Oh, don't kid yourself, Sonata, you want that as much as Aria and I do," Adagio ridicules. "You laughed evilly with us when we were causing chaos in Equestria and then at that school."

"Yes, I did want those things," Sonata admits. "It was in our nature to take pleasure in causing disharmony against others and feed off that negative energy. But after a thousand years, I have accepted that none of that matters now."

"None of it matters?" Adagio says angrily. "None of that matters? You idiot! It always matters! Our goal is always to be adored, siren, or human!"

"And look where being adored by magic has left you, Dagi," Sonata snaps. "You're going to have the body of a woman almost in her fifties by the time you or Aria are free after everything we've done for the sake of making people or ponies pay attention to us by force. But Granny and her family? They love me. They love me. I didn't need any magic or pendants to gain their love and trust; they just care and support me for who I am, regardless of how ditzy or absent-minded I can be. That's real love, Dagi. The Apples, the Rainbooms, Soarin, Caramel, Rough Draft, they stay by my side no matter what happens. That's adoration worth holding on to. That's all I ever wanted from you or Aria, but you kept pushing me away and just told me to follow your lead or tell me that I'm the worst."

"Do you expect me to be happy that you're going to have a cute little family?" Adagio asks bitterly.

"No," Sonata says, looking down sadly. "That's not why I came here."

"Then, why did you come?" Adagio asks.

Sonata sighs before she looks into Adagio's eyes and answers.

"I came knowing that nothing in the world will change your mind about everything you and Aria have done with your lives; that you're still looking for a chance to be on top either here or in Equestria even though there is no top to reach. I wanted you to know where I'm at and tell you that you and Aria are virtually nothing to me now. You're not my sisters or my friends. You're just two girls that I spent over a thousand years following without question. I will pray to the Lord that one day either or both of you will see the error of your ways while you're in jail, but that prayer is all either of you mean to me now."

Adagio looks at Sonata, unfazed with her words. Sonata keeps looking at her sadly as if she is hoping Adagio will give her some sort of sign that would prove the ditzy girl wrong about her former leader.

"Have a nice life, 'Sonata Apple,'" Adagio says coldly as she sits up from her seat and walks over to the security guard, gesturing him to cuff her again and take her back to her cell. Adagio keeps her back on Sonata and Granny Smith as the guard cuffs her.

"I hope somehow you will too, Adagio Dazzle, for realzies," Adagio hears Sonata whisper sadly as the guard drags her out of the room.



************************************************************************************




It's the middle of the night, and Adagio lays in her bed again, trying to sleep. The hard surface makes her toss and turn to no avail. Her small window covers most of the cell with the moonlight, and the area is dead silent apart from the snores coming from other prisoners in the distance. Adagio groans in annoyance as her body refuses to sleep.

"Adagio."

Adagio's eyes snap open at the sound of someone whispering her name. She lifts her head to see no one in the hall, and everyone else is still asleep. She lays her head on her pillow, and she closes her eyes again, figuring she only thought she heard something.

"Adagio!"

Adagio rises into a sitting position, startled from the voice sounding loud and angry. She gets up from her bunk and tries to look through the bars. The hallway is still pitch black, and there's still no movement indicating that it's coming from the other cells. The voice also sounded more like it was coming from a man even though the hall is for girls, which worries Adagio more.

Suddenly, the air begins to feel colder and fouler. Adagio sees her breath and rubs her arms while trying to resist the stench that smells like a decayed rotten body mixed with sulfur. Her blood freezes as she finally takes who is calling out to her. Then a quiet yet menacing growl comes from behind her, which brings chills to her spine as it confirms what she fears. She slowly turns around to see a see-through figure cloaked in black standing behind her. Its arms are crossed, showing the decay of long, sharp claw-like fingers, and the hood completely covers the figure's face despite being see-through.

Adagio's knees grow weak, and she holds onto the bars of her cell for support as she looks at the figure in horror. She's too afraid to dare say the person's name, but her mouth manages to utter one little word.

"M-m-m-master."

An amused chuckle is heard from the figure before it walks toward Adagio, strengthening her fear.

"Oh, so I'm your master again, little Adagio?" A cold voice asks. "I thought I was just your 'client.' Or maybe perhaps you would like to call me the 'demon of death' again just like when I first appeared to you before you so-called 'Dazzlings' recklessly tried to go back to Equestria?"

Adagio keeps her back to the bars as she shudders uncontrollably. The figure takes out one of its decayed hands and slowly caresses her cheek with its claw-like fingers, making her whimper like a frightened child.

"Why Adagio, my dear child," the figure says in a soothing voice. "You seem so unsettled to see me. What reason do you have to be afraid?"

Adagio whimpers more as the figure starts petting her shaved head like a dog.

"I-i-it's nothing personal, master," she finally answers. "I-it's just that I would never have thought to be worthy of your presence ever again after what happened."

The figure stops petting Adagio and tilts its head. Then another amused chuckle escapes its unseen mouth, making Adagio feel slightly more comfortable. But then, the figure swiftly grabs Adagio firmly by the throat and lifts her off the ground. Adagio's fear grows stronger than ever as she struggles for breath and tries to break free from the figure's grip.

"You have never said a truer thing in your life, you spineless little horse-fish, nor will you again," the figure growls as his grip on Adagio tightens. "No living being - not the mightiest minotaur, nor the most powerful unicorn, or the most shrewd griffin has any right to gain an audience with me. You of all beings should know of all the armies who went to war against each other or the foolish farm colts who would go to try to fight Ursa Majors and dragons just to prove that they have a place by my side. Not to mention the foolish minotaur kings who would personally bathe their kingdoms in the blood of their own children just out of hopes that their deaths would give them enough 'points' to catch a glimpse of my face. Not even these childish humans would gain a right to stand in my presence if they knew my existence and would use all their strength and technology to fight each other to prove their worth to me. If they can't gain my blessing, then what chance would a former siren who couldn't last five minutes against a band of teenagers have to see me in her cramped jail cell?"

Adagio continues to struggle for breath as the figure leans it's head towards her until they are mere inches apart.

"And do you know why that is, little Adagio?" It questions coldly.

"B-b-because no creature will ever be truly worthy of your presence, master," Adagio manages to say between gasps for breath. "All life exists to destroy itself for your pleasure and your power. Life's purpose is to die until the universe is a wasteland for you to rein."

"Exactly," the figure hisses before it let's go of Adagio's throat. She drops to the ground, landing on her bottom, and coughs violently as she rubs her throat.

"But master," she pleads. "Sunset Shimmer was not at my hearing. Doesn't that mean Aria and I completed our mission?"

"No thanks to you," the figure growls. "Capturing and shooting her boyfriend only made her more determined than ever to stay with him."

"But, but why did she leave if capturing Rough Draft didn't do it?" She asks.

"Luckily for my experiment, those two hyper girls who took away your powers still had feelings for that shy weasel, Caramel," the figure answers. "I sought the chance and twisted their minds to capture that boy in an attempt to get together with him and mock Sunset Shimmer enough to decide to go back to Equestria for the sake of everyone she cares about. So credit for getting Sunset Shimmer to abandon the boy goes to me."

Adagio looks down on the ground, ashamed. She wanted to prove her worth to this unknown being and she failed, making her feel worthless.

"Have you come to kill me for my failure?" She asks.

The figure chuckles again before it kneels down and starts petting Adagio on the head again.

"Now, why would I want to do that to you, my child?" It asks, amused.

Adagio lifts her head up in confusion.

"I don't understand," she says.

"No, I didn't think you would," the cloaked figure says. "The truth is, as incompetent as you are, I must give you credit where credit is due, Adagio. For you see, I have you to thank for this opportunity."

"Me?" Adagio asks, even more confused.

"Yes, child," the figure says, in another soothing voice. "After all, you had the right idea when you tricked that school into having a battle of the bands, causing so much disharmony in a place filled with Equestrian magic, and even have the Rainbooms fight each other. I must admit that much of my plan was inspired by your own. So despite your failure, you have been very useful. Truly, I couldn't have done this without you."

"But how do you know things are going the way they should be? " Adagio asks before a menacing growl from the figure forces her to correct herself. "Not that I doubt you in the slightest, master, but how do you know that Sunset Shimmer will come back to this world?"

"Because she didn't entirely close the portal," the figure answers. "Despite her determination to stay away from Rough Draft, she didn't have it in herself to take her journal with her, thus permanently sealing the portal for another thirty moons. Deep down, her heart knew that she was making a mistake just like Octavia Melody before her. With the support of the princesses in Equestria and her heart desiring to return to the boy and her friends more and more over time, she will become just as determined to get that boy back as Ms. Melody. From there, their fates are all but sealed."

Adagio nods and bows in acknowledgment.

"Of course, master. I understand," she says. "I fully see the light in your flawless plan now."

"I believe you," the figure says. "And as a reward for your contribution, I shall bestow upon you a vision of what is to come."

Adagio lifts her head in surprise.

"M-m-master, I am honored for such a rare gift," she says humbly.

"Well. I'd consider you a fool if you weren't," the figure says boastfully. "It's not something freely given by my kind. I should warn you, though; it will feel like you're really there. You'll be able to smell, touch, and feel what you will see."

Adagio shudders at the warning.

"Will it hurt?" she asks, concerned.

"Maybe," the figure says plainly. "Are you ready?"

Adagio's mouth quivers in worry but knows that he'll eventually give her what he wants to show her whether she wants it or not. She swallows the lump in her throat and nods bravely.

"Yes, master," she says. "I am ready."

"The hold still," the figure says as it stretches out his hand and walks over to place it on top of Adagio's head. "And witness the beginning of my return."

As soon as its claws touch her head, Adagio begins to scream. The touch feels like hot coal scorching her head as her mind goes blank.





*********************************************************************************************




Adagio opens her eyes and realizes she's not in her cell anymore. She is kneeling in the middle of what looks to be a classroom at Canterlot High School. Adagio looks around to find that it's still night time, the lights are off, and the room is empty; nothing but school desks and chairs to fill the area.

Suddenly, she hears gunshots coming from the halls and people screaming in horror. Adagio dares to approach the classroom door curiously and opens it before she gasps in horror. The hallway is covered with bodies, limp, and lifeless. She examines them to see that they are all bodies of students from the school. Many of them look brutally beaten and disfigured, and some of them look like they bled out from their wounds. Half of them have their bodies covered in what looks like the same kind of anti-magic darts that were used against Adagio and Aria. She covers her mouth, disgusted and disturbed as she carefully walks over the bodies while still hearing gunshots.

Finally, she finds herself in the main school hall, which is littered with bodies. Not just students, but teachers and police officers. There's a giant hole where the ceiling should be, showing a black and red sky as fire and ash are shown from above. More and more bodies look more like they've been shot as opposed to being beaten to death. Adagio takes a step back, horrified.

Suddenly, a hand grabs her by the shoulder and slams her into a wall. Adagio turns her head to see Sonata grabbing her by the throat. Her face looks cold and hateful, and her eyes have a dark green glow as she points a gun at Adagio's head.

"This is your fault," she says menacingly. "You drove them apart! You drove everyone apart!"

"Freeze!" Two cops shout coming from behind before Sonata turns her head and shoots both cops dead in the chest before she turns back to Adagio, who is shocked by what her former companion just did.

"It wasn't enough that you drove Sunset away, but you and Aria had to cause this," Sonata continues. "You took everything from him! You ruined everything for me! I'll kill you! I'll ki-"

But before she can finish, a bullet flies through her head. Her dark green eyes fade into her normal ones, but they are now lifeless as her face goes limp, and she falls down dead.

"Sonata?" Adagio whimpers as she kneels down and picks up Sonata's body, crying. "What have I done? Oh, Sonata, I'm sorry! Please wake up! Please!"

"She ain't getting up, dude," said a cold voice.

Adagio turns her head to see Sandalwood standing in the middle of the main hall, holding a gun he took from one of the police officers Sonata killed and aiming it at Adagio with the same dark green glow in his eyes.

"She picked the wrong side of the fight," he says. "And now her part of the war is ov - AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Adagio screams as a curved blade made out of fire sticks out from Sandalwood's chest. He struggles for only a moment before he falls down dead to reveal Sunset Shimmer standing behind him. Like Sonata and Sandalwood, her eyes are glowing dark green, and she has two large wings and tail coming out of her back and is holding two curved swords all made of fire. She's walking over to Adagio, who is quivering in fear while still holding Sonata's limp body. Sunset Shimmer raises her swords to attack until she hears a British voice.

"YOU!"

Sunset Shimmer stops what she's doing and immediately turns around to see Octavia Melody staring venomously at her. She's holding her cello-shaped shield and bow-shaped club and has the same dark green eyes. Sunset Shimmer starts walking towards her with a similar venomous glare.

"Finally had enough of me taking out your cultists, huh?" Sunset Shimmer says coldly.

"Oh, look at you, so high and mighty with your magic," Octavia says mockingly. "And yet you can never save him or stop him from running to me."

Sunset Shimmer's blood boils. Octavia drops her club and shield and gestures Sunset Shimmer to attack her.

"Let's finish this," she says coldly.

"Yes," Sunset Shimmer says eagerly as her swords disappear. "Let's finish this!"

With a flap of her wings, Sunset Shimmer lifts herself from the ground and dashes towards Octavia. She grabs Octavia by the throat before she can react and lifts her up as she flies high up through the hole in the ceiling while Octavia struggles to fight back. Adagio watches in fear as the two girls are high up above the building when suddenly a large beam hits them out of nowhere. Adagio only hears a split second of screaming before she sees both of them plummeting back down with only a moment to see that they've disintegrated into skeletons before they hit the ground, turning into dust on impact.

"And it would only be the beginning," says a voice coming from behind Adagio. She turns around to see the hooded figure approaching her, still see-through as he commands, "Look through the glass doors."

Reluctantly, Adagio obeys as she slowly turns her head to look through the school's glass entrance doors. She gasps in horror to see the entire town burning. Scores and scores of bodies can be seen spread across the school courtyard, the road, and beyond. Even with the doors closed, she can faintly hear the sounds of screaming, gunshots, and war cries. Tears form in her eyes as she still cradles Sonata's body.

"Why my child, I thought this is what you wanted," the figure says.

"No, I don't want this, not anymore," Adagio cries. "I thought I wanted to make them pay for everything they've done, for taking away what was rightfully mine for so long, but I don't!"

"Oh, we both know that's not true," the figure says. "You wanted the same thing every living being wants; to prove a point, to be adored, to be worshiped, to let everything that exists love you forever. These fools took it all away from you, and so if you can't have what you want, neither can they."

"But not like this!" Adagio cries. "Not like this!"

"It is the only way, Adagio," the figure says. "The only way that they can see that they were made to be nothing but fuel for the fire. Fuel for my return. Let the children play their games of love and pride so long as they give me what is rightfully mine. Soon my destiny will finally begin!"

As the figure says its last sentence proudly, dark green flames begin to consume its body. The heat is so hot that Adagio starts crying in pain as she is beginning to engulf in flames.

"There is nothing that can change what will happen, Adagio," the figure says. "I'm returning very soon."



*****************************************************************************************




Adagio screams in fear as she opens her eyes. She pants heavily as she realizes she's back in her cell alone, still laying her head against the bars. The figure is gone, and there's no one else here but her cellmates sleeping without a care. Her heart feels heavy as it hits her further what she has started by capturing Rough Draft. She cries bitterly as she lays down and cuddles into a ball.

"I'm so sorry, Sonata," she whispers. "I'm so sorry."

PreviousChapters Next