• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 2,974 Views, 243 Comments

A Search for Something More - HAKDurbin



Rough Draft is a senior in Canterlot High who writes fan fiction and dreams of finding love. He's also the only person in the entire school who still doesn't believe that Sunset Shimmer is reformed.

  • ...
31
 243
 2,974

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9: The Truth

The moment I am home, I head up to my room, slam the door behind me, and plunge into my bed, immediately regretting it because my back still hurts. My parents are in the main living room doing their own thing, so they didn't pay any mind that I stormed in and head to my room. I take out my phone, grab my headphones from my bed desk and start listening to some music.

I let out a long sigh as the first song plays, but I don't feel any better. As frustrated as I am about everyone siding with Sunset Shimmer, I regret the way I yelled at Octavia and ran away from her. I consider going back and apologizing, but I imagine none of them want to see me there, least of all, Octavia.

I hear a loud knock on the door despite the volume of my headphones. I pause the music, get off my bed, and open the door to find a very cross Octavia waiting for me.

"Hey, I -"

*SLAP*

I'm down on one knee, holding my face after Octavia slaps me right on the cheek where Adagio punched me. I groan in pain as she lets herself in and stands in front of me with her arms crossed.

"Okay. Yeah, that's fair. I had that coming," I groan.

"That was completely uncalled for, Rough Draft," Octavia states. "You were out of line back there."

"Yeah, well in my defense, it's not like I didn't have a point," I counter as I stand up.

"Point? What point? All you did was verbally attack Sunset Shimmer," Octavia counters back.

"And that's not enough even after everything she's ever done?"

"Oh, for heaven's sake Rough Draft, you're acting like a complete child," Octavia rebukes. "You're being blinded by your feelings over Sunset Shimmer to cloud your judgment -"

"Well, it wouldn't be the first time, would it?!" I snap.

"What in the world does that mean?!" Octavia yells.

"Augh! Just forget it!" I shout as I walk past her and sit on my bed, not looking at her.

For a minute, we don't say a thing. Then I hear Octavia sigh and walk over and kneel in front of me.

"Look, Rough Draft, I know that you're angry with her, and it's clear to me that you have a serious reason to be," she says calmly as she trashes my hands."But I can't help you if you don't tell me what it is."

"I thought we agreed that we'd hold off that discussion until I am ready to tell you." I point out, still not looking at her.

"Well, I changed my mind," Octavia answers. "I've seen you be nothing but venomous towards her, and I want to understand why. You're my boyfriend, and I want to help you, and that's why I need you to trust me. Please don't shut me out anymore."

I don't know how to respond to her. I've held on to my anger for so long, and I've been wanting to keep it from Octavia until I'm good and ready, but at the same time, I think I have to accept that Applejack was right; there is no such thing as being ready.

With a sigh, I finally turn my head to look at her and say, "Alright, but please understand that you might think less of me after I tell you. I'm not exactly innocent in this story, either."

"Well, I think finding you to be perfect was shot two arguments and a nap during my concert ago." She says in a matter-of-factually tone.

"Heh. Can't argue with that." I say with a small chuckle.

Octavia smiles, knowing that she's getting her abs she sits next to me on my bed, waiting for me to start.

"So, about a month or so into the spring semester last school year, my parents and I moved here from Applelosa. I wasn't too eager to move to a new place, but at the same time, it wasn't like I had a lot of friends in Applelosa since no one liked me. My folks enrolled me in Canterlot High, and my first couple of days were nothing exciting. I introduced myself to my classes, the teachers asked a student to share their notes with me, and so on. At lunch, I would sit at the table farthest from everyone else, eating my lunch while writing some of my fanfiction. It's pretty much how I ate my lunch at my old school in Applelosa, so why change things when you're a nerdy dork like me, right? But then came that fateful day..."



******************************************************************************************************************



I was sitting in what had become my normal spot in the cafeteria. I finished my lunch, so I started writing a story that I hoped to finish before lunch was over. But while I was writing, I began to notice that I wasn't alone. I looked up to find a girl with light amber skin and fiery red and yellow hair. She was wearing a light purple shirt, an orange skirt, and a motorcycle jacket. She rested her head with one hand and was looking at me with a flirtatious smile that gave me goosebumps.

"H-h-hi," I said awkwardly.

She giggled and said, "Hello, yourself."

The way she greeted me with a kittenish tone in her voice made me blush. I tried to think of something to say, but she beat me to it.

"You know, I've been watching you from over at my table over the last couple of days," she said.

"You have?" I asked.

"Oh, yes. Tell me, what's a cutie like you doing all by his lonesome?" she asked.

"W-well, I just moved here, and I don't know a lot of people, and I kind of like being on my own," I answered.

"Aww. I don't think that's true," she said with a playful pout. "You don't seem like the kind of person that wants to be all alone. You should try to be a little more social than that."

"Well, it's not like there's a lot of people who would want to hang out will a guy like me." I countered.

"Aw, now why would you think that?" She asked.

"Well, I mean, I'm a nerd," I answered.

"And that's a good reason to sit here all alone?" She challenged.

"Well, yeah," I answered. "Nerds are considered not to be very cool, socially speaking. I mean, I like to play video games and watch a bunch of science fiction and otherwise write stories -"

"Oh, is that what you're doing on your notebook?" She asked

Before I replied, she snatched the notebook away from me and began reading my story.

"No, wait! That's private, and I haven't finished it!" I cried.

I tried to get it back, but she pushed me away with one hand as she read.

"Is this Star Wars you're writing?" she asked.

"Well yes," I said, embarrassed with my head down. "I like to write Star Wars fan fiction. I want to write my own fantasy and science fiction stories someday, but I can't think of anything original, so I write stories where I'm a Jedi Master that fights all different kinds of Sith Lords."

"Well, I think that's awesome." She said with a smile.

I raised my head, surprised, and asked, "You do?"

"Absolutely! I love Star Wars!" She exclaimed. "I can't get enough of A New Hope! Though I must ask, did you make up that there are Sith sorcerers and this planet, Medriaas?"

I stood there, amazed that this girl is actually saying this to me. I couldn't believe that a girl like her would be so into Star Wars. I snapped out of my thoughts before I answered.

"Uh, no. That's actually from a Star Wars video game," I say. "Basically a couple of millennia before the events of the films, there were Sith sorcerers during that time period, and Medriass is where a powerful Sith Emperor named Vitiate was born and found a path to immortality and - oh listen to me ramble on."

The girl let out another giggle that she tried to cover her mouth.

"I think it's adorable." She said. "You're very passionate about what you do."

"Uh, thanks," I said, blushing again.

I tried to think of something else to say, but then the school bell rang, and I quickly grabbed my trash and backpack before turning to the amber-skinned girl.

"Can I have my notebook back, please?" I asked.

The girl hummed like she was deep in thought before she said, "Under one condition."

"Uh, and that would be?" I asked.

"There's a movie that I'm planning to see tonight, but I don't want to see it alone," she said. "So, I will give you your notebook back if you come to see it with me."

"Y-you want me of all people to go to the movies with you?" I questioned.

"Yes, silly. Why not?" She asked.

I stuttered incoherent words before I said, "Well, I mean, I'm a nobody, and…and you're hot! Uh, I mean, you're really pretty. No, beautiful. I just, augh!"

I let my head down, expecting her to be offended, but I saw her giggle instead.

"Thank you. You're very sweet," she said kindly. "Anyway, the movie is at 5:45, so let's meet at 5:30 on the dot, and don't you dare be late. Understood?"

"Uh, yes?" I reply.

"Good," She said with a satisfied smirk. "Here's your notebook. I'll see you later tonight then."

She turned around and started to walk away before I called out, "Wait! You never told me your name!"

She turned around and said, "Oh yeah, I guess I forgot. It's Sunset Shimmer. What's yours?"

"Uh, Rough Draft," I said bashfully.

"Rough Draft. That's a nice name. It suits you," She said, making me blush, and without another word, she left for her next class.



**********************************************************************************************************



"Goodness," Octavia interrupts. "You were quite the bashful, awkward boy."

"Yeah, well, to be fair, that's pretty much what I was like even back in Applelosa. Actually, that was the longest conversation I ever had with a girl at the time," I reply. "In fact, I was still a little awkward even after that. Remember how I was when we met?"

Octavia giggles and says, "How could I forget? I had little idea how to react to your awkward demeanor until we started talking about your dance move, 'The Dodger.'"

"Yeah, let's never mention that again, by the way," I say, blushing in embarrassment.

Octavia smiles, amused with my bashful demeanor until she brings back the matter at hand.

"So, what happened after that?" She asks.

I sigh before I answer, "Well, we went to go see that movie she wanted to watch. I made sure to be on time, she bought the tickets, and I bought the popcorn. I don't remember what we even watched. Some corny chick flick or something. Honestly, I didn't focus on the movie because I kept getting distracted by how Sunset Shimmer was looking at me flirtatiously again. It was confusing, but at the same time, I liked it. I don't know. I guess I was so taken aback that a girl was taking a liking to me that I started thinking less about why and more of just going with it.

"So you just went with how a girl was acting towards you without even asking why," Octavia says with a raised eyebrow.

"Yyyyyeeeeaaaahhhh. What you're going to notice through this story, if you haven't already, is that I was not the brightest person in Canterlot High," I explain. "Anyway, after we finished the movie she suggested that we exchange phone numbers and after we did she kissed me on the cheek and said she'll text me later. I couldn't move for a minute after that kiss. Deep down, I was so excited that a girl was interested in me, asked me out on my very first date, and kissed me. Plus, I got her phone number to boot. I went home later that night, and as soon as I made it to my room, she started texting me. We texted until my mom said it was time for bed, and from then on, we started hanging out more. I'd show her more of my stories, and we would go out to a couple of places around town."

"But how did you do all this without people warning you about how she was ruling the school and all that?" Octavia finally asks.

"Ah, excellent cue there. I was just getting to how Soarin and Caramel eventually did warn me," I answer. "You see, it was about a month and a half or so after Sunset Shimmer, and I started hanging out."



*******************************************************************************************************



I was sitting in my usual spot in the cafeteria, and Sunset Shimmer wasn't at school today because she was sick. I texted her that I hope she feels better and all that to which she'd thank me and say I'm sweet. I didn't feel like writing one of my stories because I had writer's block, so I just ate my lunch and sat at my table, daydreaming about ideas for new stories, some new strategies for a video game I was playing on my computer at the time...and mostly Sunset Shimmer.

Suddenly, I was snapped out of my thoughts when I noticed two guys standing next to me. The taller one had light blue skin and darker blue hair and was wearing a Canterlot High soccer jersey and shorts. The shorter one had light brown skin and dark brown hair and was wearing a t-shirt and jeans.

"Can I help you?" I asked.

"Actually, we were hoping we can help you," The blue guy answered. "We kinda want to talk to you about something important. Can we sit down?"

"Uh, sure, why not," I said hesitantly.

The blue guy sat down on my left side while the light brown one sat on my right.

"I'm Soarin, by the way," the blue one said.

"And I'm Caramel." the light brown guy added.

"I'm Rough Draft," I replied. "So, what do you mean you're hoping to help me?"

"Well, we want to talk to you about Sunset Shimmer," Caramel said uneasily.

"What about her?" I asked quizzingly.

"We've noticed over the past few weeks how you've been hanging out with her a lot," Soarin answered.

"Yeah, so?" I inquired.

"Well, we didn't want to say anything with her around," Soarin started hesitantly. "But since she's not at school today, we figured this is as good of a time to warn you."

"About what?" I asked.

"Sunset Shimmer is a monster!" Caramel blurted out.

I stood there, turning my head to look at each of them, befuddled.

"What?" I asked.

"Well, that might not be the best way to say it, but yeah, Sunset Shimmer is not who you think she is," Soarin explained. "Underneath how she appears to you is a cruel and dishonest girl that will do whatever she can to rule the school."

"Can you prove this?" I asked, with my eyebrow raised.

"Well, no," Caramel reluctantly admitted. "But we are telling the truth. Whatever she's planning right now somehow involves you helping her do something she wants to gain more power."

"Oh, please," I said unamused. "What could she want with a guy like me to do something for her own gain? For that matter, why would she spend so much time hanging out with me for as long as she has just for that?"

"Because that's how it starts," Soarin said. "She acts all sweet, caring, and supportive and gives you the feeling that she's someone you can trust, but then you let your guard down, which gives her the perfect opportunity to take advantage of that to do something cruel and heartless. Believe me, Rough Draft. We've seen her do it many times before over the last three years at this school, and she's shown to be the kind of girl that's willing to wait as long as it takes to do whatever she wants."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I had spent so much time with Sunset Shimmer that it wouldn't make sense to say that she isn't the pleasant person who wanted to be with me when I had no one else in the school to give me the light of day. It looked to me that they're being a couple of jerks who were the real people wanting to do something cruel against Sunset Shimmer and me.

"Alright, I've had enough of this. Clearly, you guys are full of it," I declared as I stood up.

"No, we're serious, Rough Draft!" Caramel exclaimed. "Sunset Shimmer is going to use you for her own personal gain! Whatever she's doing to convince you otherwise is nothing but a lie! You have to believe us."

"Well, I don't!" I snapped, "I don't know what your game is here, but I don't care. You're sticking your nose into something that is none of your business! If all you're going to do is talk trash about someone I care for, then just shut up and leave me alone!"

Caramel was speechless while Soarin was getting frustrated at what I was saying.

"You know what? If that's how you're hoping to be, then fine!" He barked. "Hang out with Sunset Shimmer! Date her for all I care! And when she makes her move and breaks your heart, don't come crying to us!"

"I won't!" I yelled.

"Fine!" He shouted back.

"Fine!" I shouted back before I stormed out of the cafeteria, not caring that lunch wasn't over for another ten minutes.



**********************************************************************************************************************



"Hmmm. I must say, you were quite the jerk to them," Octavia says plainly.

"Yeah, I realize that in hindsight," I admit. "But as I said before, I loved how happy Sunset Shimmer made me feel too much to believe them. It seemed like I was in a fairy tale where this knight has found a maiden worth fighting for or something."

"Oh really," Octavia says with her eyebrow raised in an unamused look.

"Well, not anymore," I quickly explain. "Obviously, that's how I feel about you, and I wouldn't have it any other way."

"That's better," she says with a smile. "So, what happened next?"

"Well, not much happened after that for a while," I answer. "Sunset Shimmer and I would hang out, and she would flirt now and then by looking at me that way or say something that would make me blush to her amusement. Caramel and Soarin didn't try to warn me again, so I figured it was because they were just trying to mess with me. I didn't even tell Sunset Shimmer about it because I figured that I shouldn't bother worrying her over two guys who said mean things about her."

Octavia looks at me disapprovingly at my words.

"You really convinced yourself that she was everything she appeared to be? I'm sorry, Rough Draft, but clearly, you were fooling yourself," she says.

"Yes, I was," I say with a frown. "Anyway, this went on for a few more weeks until the Spring Fling dance was coming around the corner. I know you weren't here back then, but have you at least heard about what happened at the Spring Fling?"

"As a matter of fact, I did," she answers. "When we became friends, Vinyl used that story as a way to stay away from Sunset Shimmer. I believe it was Rarity who tried to compete against her for Princess of the Spring Fling, but then Sunset Shimmer sabotaged her, and her victory made it official that she was someone to be afraid of."

I turn away from her as if the wall in front of me was the most interesting thing. I brace myself as I reluctantly say, "Yeah, well, she kinda had help with that."

She stares at me, confused until it hit her.

"You-you mean...?" She asked.

"Yup," I say without missing a beat. "This is why I warned you that you're probably going to think less of me after I finish this story."



**********************************************************************************************************************



It was about Thursday in late March, and the final bell rung, announcing that school ended for the day, so I meet up with Sunset Shimmer at the back entrance of the school.

"Hey, Sunset," I greeted.

"Hey there, Rough Draft," She said with a smirk. "I see you didn't waste any time to head over here."

"Eh, what can I say? I hate taking gym class with Mr. Iron Will, and meeting up with you is the only thing that makes me feel better." I answered.

She giggled at my response. "You are too sweet," She said.

"I don't know the meaning of those words," I said jokingly. "So, what are you thinking of today?"

"Well, for starters, I thought you'd like to join me in giving my new baby a spin," She answered.

"...Your new baby?" I asked, confused.

Sunset Shimmer giggled at my reaction and said, "You're too easy to tease, Rough Draft. I'm talking about my new motorcycle. I've been saving up for a while, and I finally got it this morning. So, I'd like you to join me in driving it somewhere."

"Somewhere? Where?" I asked quizzingly.

"It's a surprise," she answered. "Now, come on."

We walked over to the parking lot where sure enough, a red motorcycle with yellow flames painted on both sides was waiting for us. Sunset Shimmer grabbed two helmets that were hanging on the bars and tossed one over to me. I barely caught it before I nervously said, "I-i-don't think this is such a good idea."

"Aw, not, why not?" Sunset Shimmer asked with a playful pout. "Are you afraid of motorcycles?"

"W-well, I can't say I've ever ridden in one before," I said. "Besides what if we lose our balance and crash? Or what if I fall off or something?"

She scoffed at my cowardly attitude.

"Don't worry, I've been taking lessons before buying it, and I drove it over here just fine. Just wrap your arms around my waist, and you'll be safe." She said before making a devious smirk. "Unless you're too nervous about holding me around my waist."

I blushed so bad that my face must have been as red as half of her hair. I stuttered and looked away as if everything that isn't Sunset Shimmer is the most interesting thing in the world.

"N-n-no, I'm not!" I finally said back. "Y-you're the one who's too nervous about me holding you around your waist!"

Sunset Shimmer laughed out loud at my response. She dropped her helmet as she started holding on to her gut.

"Brave words there, Mr. Draft," She finally said back. "Now, be a man and just hop on."

I reluctantly put on my helmet and did what I was told. I sat down and wrapped her around her waist, and she turned on the motorcycle. As you could imagine, I was practically scared out of my wits the moment she started driving. I might have screamed like a little girl at one point, but after a while, I started to enjoy it. Eventually, we took a turn and went up a hill. At the top, there was a bench, and on the right of it, a large tree that was covering the bench with its shadow. Sunset Shimmer parked her motorcycle a few feet away from them, and I got off, took off my helmet, and looked past the bench to see the view. We could see the town from here and on my left side, I could see the city and the mountains behind it.

"Wow. I didn't know there was this great of a view here," said amazed.

"That tends to happen when you didn't exactly do much around here before we met," said Sunset Shimmer.

"Heh. I guess that's true," I admitted. "How did you know about this place?"

"Oh, you know. You live here for a couple of years, and you might discover a place or two," She said with a shrug.

"Well, it's nice that you did," I said. "The view of the mountains is amazing."

"Meh, it's nothing special," she said nonchalantly.

I turned to look at her, confused, and a little hurt at her words. She realized what she had said and quickly explained, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. It's just that I take the view of mountains for granted. I used to see them all the time from the town I lived when I was a little girl."

"Oh," I said, still a little hurt. "Where did you live?"

"Um...Cantermore," She replied.

"Cantermore? I can't say I've heard of that place," I said.

"Well, it's pretty far away from here," She explained. "Anyway, let's sit down. I brought us a snack."

"A snack?" I asked.

"Yeah, Nuthin special. Just some apple cider and some cookies," she said.

We sat down on the bench as Sunset Shimmer reached inside her backpack and brought out a couple of bottles of cider and two bags of cookies. We ate and drank without talking to each other until we finished our snack and started to relax and enjoy the view until Sunset Shimmer spoke again.

"So, Rough Draft," she began.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"I don't know if you've heard, but there's a dance coming up soon," she said.

"Oh yeah. The Spring Fling I think it's called," I said.

"Correct. It's the last dance before the end of the school year, and at the end Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna judge who will become Princess of the Spring Fling," she said. "It's a lot of fun, and that mute girl that they call DJ PON-3 is the best DJ in town."

"Wow. That sounds like a pretty big deal," I said.

"Oh, it is," Sunset Shimmer said. "Which is why...well, I don't know what's the best way to say it."

She started acting a little nervous, and I began to think that she was going to ask me to the dance. I couldn't believe a girl was asking is me of all people to a dance! I made a quiet gulp before she finally spoke.

"Rough Draft, will you help me become the Princess of the Spring Fling?"

I stared at her, confused with her question.

"Do what now?" I asked.

"Well, it's just that I've always wanted to feel like a princess ever since I was a little girl, and over the last two years, I've tried to become the Princess of the Spring Fling, but I always lose to this girl named Rarity," she said.

"You mean that white-skinned and dark purple-haired girl that keeps talking about fashion?" I asked.

"The very same," Sunset Shimmer said. "The competition is basically a fashion competition, and Rarity always has the upper hand because she creates the most beautiful and creative outfits. No matter how hard I try, I always lose because she's in her element."

"But what in the world can I do to help?" I asked.

"Well, you see, I'm not quite as beloved as Rarity," she said. "I know you think that's silly, but while I am well known around the school, I don't hang out with a long of people. You're the only one I can trust to help me look for a dress or tell me if I have too much makeup or something. I know that's more something girls do, but I need you to be there to help me."

Sunset Shimmer then leaned closer to me with a desperate look and said, "You're the only one who truly cares about me. Please. Help me accomplish my dream, Rough Draft."

Those words she said sunk deep into my mind. She trusts me? I'm the only person who cares about her? I don't know how she could not have any friends besides me, but it softened my heart to hear her say that she wanted my help. Plus, by telling me that she doesn't have other friends, it sounded like we were on the same boat. Two different people with the same problem.

"Of course, I'll help you, Sunset," I said with a smile. "I'll do whatever it takes to help you."

"Are you sure?" She asked, with a suspicious tone. "You have to understand what I'm asking you to do, Rough Draft. You have to promise me that you will do anything no matter the cost to help me. And I mean anything. I need your word that you will do it."

"You have my word," I announced without missing a beat. "I swear to you, Sunset, before you realize it, you will feel like the princess you always wanted to be."

With that, she smiled and spontaneously hugged my arm and laid her head on my shoulder.

"Thank you." She said softly. "It makes me happy to hear that."

I blushed at how close she was to me, but at the same time, I liked it. It felt like we were in our own special world where nothing could stop us. But then, she lifted her head from my shoulder, leaned into my ear and whispered three little words.

"I love you."

I froze in shock while Sunset Shimmer placed her head back on my shoulder and sighed comfortably. I tried to say something, but my tongue was tied, so I figured I could just respond with a gesture. So, I took my other arm and held her hand, and she looked at me with a smile, which I returned. After that, we sat there for what felt like forever until my mom texted me that I needed to head home.

For the next couple of weeks, we were looking for a gown for Sunset Shimmer at the dance. Every other day or so after school she would take us to some dress place where she would try on dresses and would base the quality of them on which ones made me blush the most, much to my annoyance and her amusement. Eventually, we found what she said was the perfect outfit: a pink dress with short sleeves, a skirt that went down to her knees, a purple top half, and high heels with flames decorated in them. The look of excitement on her face when she bought it was something I thought I would forever treasure.

Finally, the night of the dance came. I didn't have a tux with me, so my dad just gave some black shoes and pants and a nice buttoned shirt to wear. It wasn't much, but Sunset Shimmer thought I looked cute. We headed over to the dance, and other students stared at Sunset Shimmer, admiring her dress. It looked like things were looking well until Rarity stepped into the gymnasium. Students where awestruck as she proudly showed off her blue and purple dress. I hated to admit it, but Sunset Shimmer wasn't kidding. Rarity's dress didn't just look beautiful; it looked creative. The various shades of the colors and the details of creating this dress were amazing.

The next thing I knew, Sunset Shimmer slapped me hard in the face with her eyes watering.

"Even you?!" she cried out before she turned around and ran out of the gymnasium.

"Wait! Sunset!" I shouted as I chased her through the halls until I found her leading against a locker and crying softly. I slowly walked over to her and placed my hand on her shoulder before she smacked it away.

"Go away!" she shouted.

"No, I'm not going away., I said firmly. "I'm going to help you fulfill your dream once and for all."

She made a sarcastic laugh and said, "You can't even take your eyes off that purple-haired witch!"

"I know, and I'm sorry, but we can't let that stop us," I said. "She may have amazed the students, but Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna are still the ones who decide who the winner is. We can still do this, Sunset."

"Oh, please. This thing is over, and you know it!" she cried bitterly.

"Well, I'm not giving up!" I shouted back. "I gave you my word that I'll do whatever it takes for you to become Princess of the Spring Fling, and I will not break it because I love you, Sunset!"

My eyes widened as I realized what I had just said. Sunset Shimmer didn't even do anything that indicated that she heard me say those words. She stopped crying but kept her head down, not looking at me.

Then she turned to me and, with one hand, forced me to lean my head forward to her and said, "Find a way Rough Draft. For me. For us. So we can be together."

With that, she walked away, heading who knows where. I stood there as once again with her words echoing through my head. After a few minutes, I reluctantly went back to the gym and sat down in one of the chairs standing against the wall, trying to think of what to do. Eventually, Pinkie Pie went on the stage announcing that all contestants for Princess of the Spring Fling needed to come up the stage. I panicked, knowing that it wasn't going to be long before Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna were going to head to the stage and begin judging. I stood up and ran over to the stage and saw both Sunset Shimmer and Rarity get on stage to show themselves to the crowd.

Suddenly, I looked to my left and saw that at the far corner of the stage was the janitor's equipment. For some reason, he left it over there, including a bucket full of water. I saw the bucket and looked up at the catwalk above the stage, and an idea formed in my mind.



***************************************************************************************************************



Octavia is looking at me with her eyes widened.

"You-you didn't!" She says.

I hang my head with nothing but shame covered all over my face, unable to bear to look at her with what I was going to say next.

"I took that bucket, climbed up to the catwalk with the handle of the bucket hanging on my arm so that I could climb with both hands, walked over till I was right above Rarity, and..." I pause for a moment before I say, "And I poured the water over her head.



**********************************************************************************************************************



I stood holding the bucket upside down as I saw the crowd gasp at what I've done. I realized then that I had to get out of there immediately, so I got down from the catwalk and sneaked my way back into the crowd without people noticing. By then, Rarity got out of her state of shock and cried off the stage. It wasn't long before Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna came in to find Sunset to be the only contestant there. They were confused about how no one else was there to compete, but ultimately they had no choice but to make Sunset Shimmer the winner. So, Principle Celestia placed a plastic crown on top of Sunset Shimmer's head, and she stood there proudly, showing off her victory. I was about to clap and cheer when I noticed that everyone else in the audience was differently clapping with unease, so I joined them before I did anything that might make me a suspect.

But as I slowly clapped, I notice that something was off about Sunset Shimmer. I thought she would be full of bliss that she finally achieved her dream, but instead, she was smirking condescendingly. She wasn't the same Sunset Shimmer that I've been hanging out with for the past three months. Without a word, she, Principal Celestia, and Vice-Principal Luna left the stage leaving everyone else to go back to the dance.

The remainder of the Spring Fling went on with not people not feeling it until Pinkie Pie found a way to lift their spirits because she's Pinkie Pie. But, I just wanted to find Sunset Shimmer and talk to her. I looked around the room, searched the back of the stage, and then checked the halls, but she wasn't there. I eventually checked the parking lot, but I didn't see her motorcycle there. Eventually, after texting and calling her with no response, I decided to go home, figuring that she'll talk to me later.

On Sunday, I hung out in my room and waited for her to call or text me. At some point, I decided to write, but I couldn't find my notebook in my backpack or anywhere else in the house. I should have considered that as a sign that she might have done something to it in hindsight, but I figured I left it in my locker at school.

The next day, my mom dropped me off at school like always, but when I entered the school, students were looking at me funny and snickering. I didn't know what was going on until a random kid shouted, "So Master Rough Draft, fought any Sith lately?"

I quickly turned around to face the guy. "What was that?" I asked.

"You mean, you don't know? Take a look at MyStable!" He said snickering.

I took out my phone and opened the MyStable app and found a bunch of my fanfiction have been scanned from my notebook and posted all over the site. They've been up since the day before, and I never noticed because I was too focused on Sunset Shimmer over the weekend. People started laughing harder and making more jokes until the bell rung, indicating that school was beginning to start. They scattered to their respective classes, but I stood in place, shocked at what happened.

"Like the attention of your work?"

I turned around to see Sunset Shimmer behind me. Just from her demeanor alone, I realized that this wasn't the Sunset Shimmer I thought I loved at all. Her smirk was sinister-looking, her eyes were making me feel like I'm dirt compared to her, and her posture gave a sense of superiority over me.

"Sunset, what did you do?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing special, just thought I'd show everyone how vacuous your fanfiction is," She said cruelly. "You bored me with everything you dared to put on that notebook, so it's only fair that I return the favor."

"But why?" I asked hurt from her unkind words. "I thought you said you love me."

"And you fell for it like a dog thinking that it was going to get a treat." She said. "Why in the world would you think any girl let alone me would want to be with some pathetic dweeb like you? You're nothing but an awkward unsocial fanfiction writer who's going to live in his mother's basement for the rest of his life."

Now her words began to sting as my eyes began to water.

"Y-you mean everything we've done; everything you've said to me was a lie?!" I asked.

"Well, not all of it." She answered with an uncaring shrug. "I don't have any friends, but I don't care about anything like that. Who needs friends when you have power? And now, after the other night, no one will question my rule in this school again. They'll finally learn that when I want something, I'll get it by any means even if I have to endure spending three months with a nimrod like you so that you will do my bidding."

"You mean you spent all this time with me just to win a contest for a high school dance?!" I shouted in disbelief.

"What can I say, Rough Draft? If there's anything that I've learned in all my time in this pathetic school is that good things come to people who plan things strategically and patiently." She answered with a smug look.

I shocked at what I was hearing and said, "Oh, my gosh, Soarin, and Caramel were right; you are a monster."

Sunset Shimmer laughed maniacally.

"That's probably the most amusing part." She said. "You're not exactly a good guy yourself."

I was about to ask what she meant until it came to me. She smirked evilly at my reaction.

"It's funny, really. You're a guy who writes stories where you always do the right thing, and yet you sure seem desperate to get what you want even if it means hurting someone. Though I must admit for a moment, I thought you were going to fail me, and thus, I would have to think of something else to get that crown. That's a few minutes of worrying that I'll never get back." Sunset Shimmer taunted. "Still, though, that look on Rarity's face was pretty priceless. Kinda makes you wish you had your phone out and took a picture for the yearbook. Am I right?"

At this point, I wasn't even looking at her. I was realizing what I did and let shame take over me.

"You should be grateful, you know." She said. "I could easily have told Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna what you did, but I figured revealing what a hilariously dorky writer you are is much more amusing. Anyway, I suppose I better head to class now. See you around, Rough Draft."

With that, she left me to wallow in my shame and tears.



************************************************************************************************************



"So from then, I was the laughing stock of the school until students started to focus on how Sunset Shimmer had officially started ruling the school with an iron fist," I said. "Except for Applejack, no one knew it was me who poured water on Rarity, but no one cared. Everyone just knew that Sunset Shimmer was somehow behind it, and as far as they were concerned, Sunset Shimmer made a contraption where she could pour the water on top of Rarity herself to get what she wanted. Applejack saw what I did and chewed me out real good. She didn't tell Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna because she agreed that the posting of my stories was punishment enough, and she knew that I regretted what I did. Ever since that day, I've held a grudge against Sunset Shimmer."

Octavia sits there next to me, shocked and unable to comprehend what she just heard.

"So that's not only why you don't trust her, but why you were so sensitive over telling me about your stories, isn't it?" She asks

"Pretty much," I confirm.

Octavia looks at me, amazed at my story. For a while, none of us say anything until she sighs and turns to me.

"Look, I understand how much that hurt you, and frankly, you have every right to be hard on yourself for doing that to Rarity," she says. "But just because she was like that before does not mean she's that way now."

I turn to her, not believing what she just said.

"Seriously? How can you or anyone else be so sure that she is what she says she is," I rebuke. "Just ask other people at school, and you will find stories similar to mine. Flash Sentry is pretty much the only person who caught on before he dumped her, but anyone else will tell you the same thing. She takes all the time she needs to use people to get whatever she wants, and I see no reason why acting like she's reformed and is close friends with Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and their friends is any different. Any day she could use the Rainbooms to strike again, and the worst part of it is everyone else is buying her act. They say she's good now because she helped conjure that rainbow magic against the Dazzlings, and so that makes her worthy of our trust. But how does that work for someone like her? It sounds so unpredictable and inconsistent that I can't trust magic, in general, any more than Lyra, Bon Bon, or Derpy can. And now that everyone is so convinced that she's good, I feel like I can't fully trust anyone!"

I hang my head down again, frustrated. It hurts to hear that my girlfriend has the same feelings about Sunset Shimmer as everyone else. But then, I feel Octavia's arms around me tightly and I turn my head to see her giving me a small smile.

"If you can't trust everyone else, then at least trust me." She says in a caring tone. "I don't know how I can prove to you that Sunset Shimmer is not the person you think she still is. I'll even admit that while I do think you're being paranoid, I understand where you're coming from. Be that as it may, however, you can't just hold on with this kind of grudge against her forever. It's not going help anyone, least of all you. I'm not saying you should forgive her in one night, but maybe you should give her a chance to prove herself. Besides, it's a little hypocritical for you to hold a grudge with one person who controlled our minds and yet easily forgive another. After all, you're the one who suggested that we give Sonata another chance, so why can't you do the same with Sunset Shimmer?"

I want to come up with an argument that would guarantee that Octavia will choose my side, but the more I try, the more I reluctantly realize that she has a point. It isn't fair that I've been relentlessly loathing Sunset Shimmer, and yet I am quick to defend Sonata.

"I'm not saying I'm going to start trusting her or anything," I start reluctantly. "Even for the sake of argument I try, it's going to take a long time before I even really consider anything close to that. I would have to make tiny baby steps."

"I understand," Octavia says. "Just remember that you don't have to do it alone. I'll help you however I can. After all, the last thing I want to see is hatred from someone I care about like you."

Once again, I think about what she said, and the more I thought about it, the more I start to become more comfortable with the idea. I still don't want anything to do with Sunset Shimmer, but maybe with Octavia by my side, I can change my attitude towards her. It's hard to believe, though, that she is willing to help me with my grudge. Even after I told her what I had done, she wants to help me change for the better.

I turn to her and ask, "Be honest with me. What did I do to deserve someone so kind and supportive as you to be my girlfriend?"

Octavia gives me a kind smile and says, "Well, what can I say? You may not be the most charming person in the world, and clearly, you have a couple of problems, but even with that in mind, you are still the most caring and sensitive boy I've ever met. You're funny, you do your best to support me even if you did fall asleep at my concert and whenever I talk about myself, you truly listen to me. None of the boys back at Manehatten are like that, so it means a lot to have someone like you as my boyfriend."

Her kind smile turns into a playful smirk as she says, "Besides, we may not be experts in the matter, but I think you're a good kisser."

My eyes widen and I look away blushing. My reaction only makes Octavia giggle before she decides to peck me on the cheek, which only makes me blush harder. Eventually, I calm down and let out a long sigh before I look at my girlfriend with a small smile.

"Thank you, Octavia," I say appreciatively. "I guess I needed this talk."

"Yes, you did, my darling. Yes, you did," She says as she lays her head on my shoulder. "But you realize you're gonna have to apologize to everyone, and that includes Sunset Shimmer."

"Yeah, I figured you'd say that," I say. "Probably will have to tell Vinyl and the others the truth too. That's going to be fun sarcastically speaking

"I'm sure they'll understand," Octavia says comfortably. "But, you know, I just realized something. How did you make up with Caramel and Soarin?"

I chuckle a little at her question.

"I guess I forgot to explain that, didn't I?" I say. "Well, it was about a couple of weeks after the dance."



**********************************************************************************************************************



I was eating my lunch at the cafeteria in my usual spot. I didn't feel like writing because I was still in a wallowing mood, and Sunset Shimmer never gave me my notebook back. By this point, I felt more alone than I ever did before I moved here, feeling pathetic and hating myself for what I did to Rarity.

But then I started thinking about how Soarin and Caramel tried to warn me about Sunset Shimmer even though no one else did. I decided that while they probably don't want to see me, I should at least apologize. I looked around to see where they were having lunch, and eventually, I found them eating and talking alone at a table on the other side of the cafeteria. I grabbed my backpack, threw away my trash, and walked over to them. When I got there, Caramel noticed me first and quietly told Soarin I was coming. Soarin turned to face me, but he turned away with a frown, and they went back to eating, pretending I wasn't there. I stood there next to them and cleared my throat.

"Um...hi," I said uneasily.

"Oh well, if it isn't the guy who thought Sunset Shimmer is an angel," Soarin said coldly. "Didn't we tell you not to come crying to us?"

I winced at his words before I sighed and calmly said, "Look, I want to apologize for yelling at you guys. I know now that you meant well, and I appreciate that at least you out of everyone in this school were willing to try to warn me about her. So I just wanted to say I'm sorry that I acted the way I did."

Both Soarin and Caramel continued to look away, acting as if they didn't hear me. I started to walk away when Caramel nervously spoke.

"You know I did read a couple of your stories that Sunset posted," he said. "Typos aside, I thought it was cool that you put Medriaas in your writing."

I turned around and looked at him, surprised at what I just heard.

"You mean you know the planet I was writing about?" I asked, hopefully.

"Are you kidding? It's Vitiate's homeworld!" Caramel said with a smile. "How can I not know that place where the Sith Emperor began his rise to power after reading the novel; Revan for the hundredth time?"

"Hey, I thought we agreed to give him the cold shoulder," Soarin said, glaring at Caramel.

"Sorry, it's just so rare to know someone in person who's into the time period where the Star Wars galaxy had Revan. I mean, he's so awesome." Caramel replied with a shrug.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed with glee. "I always thought I'd have to move to a different state to find someone who knows one of the most epic force users in the galaxy! Do you play Star Wars: The Old Republic?"

"You bet." Caramel said excitedly. "Loved the ending for Shadow of Revan, and I'm excited for what they're gonna do for the next expansion."

"Caramel, whose side are you on?!" Soarin exclaimed.

"Hey, you'd be going crazy about it too if you would let me get you into it." Caramel said back.

"Wait, you mean you're friends with him, and yet he doesn't know about Revan?" I asked.

"I've been trying to get him to let me show the games for ages, but he keeps saying no." Caramel said.

A thought entered my brain, and I smirked.

"Well if that's the case why don't we both fix that," I suggested.

Caramel took a moment to realize what I meant before he gave me an evil grin.

"That sounds like a great idea," he said.

"Aw, come on, dude!" Soarin said. "Are you seriously going to take his side for that?"

"Sorry, dude, it's two against one," I announced.

Soarin tried to protest, but it was clear that he was outnumbered. He let out an annoyed grunt before he grumbled, "Fine."

Caramel and I looked at each other pleased before I took a seat next to Soarin, gave him a pat on the back, and said, "Alright, Mr. Soarin, after school, let's show you the amazing awesomeness that is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic."




***************************************************************************************************************



"Star Wars," Octavia says with her eyebrow raised. "You guys made up by talking about Star Wars."

"Well, Caramel's right," I say with a shrug. "Not very many people around here play the video games, so it was pretty neat for both him and me to meet someone who does. Soarin was pretty reluctant, but after a while, he started to get into Knights of the Old Republic and joined us in the hype of the series that is the online game: Star Wars - The Old Republic. By the end of the school year, we all started to become the best of friends."

I pause for a moment before I continue.

"Now that I think about it, I owe a lot to Caramel and Soarin," I say. "They were there to help me slowly move on from what happened at the Spring Fling. Whenever I was feeling guilty about what happened, they were there to help me eventually forgive myself for what I did. Heck, it's because they wanted to help me move on from what happened between Sunset Shimmer and me that they wanted me to come to Pinkie Pie's party to try to find someone else. So if it weren't for them, we might never have met.

"Well, I'll have to thank them for that," Octavia says with a smile. "I'll also inform them that I'm helping you get over your hatred for Sunset Shimmer."

"I'll relay the message," I say, smiling back.



*************************************************************************************************************



Shortly after our talk, Octavia and I decide to cuddle like we planned to do after capturing Sonata until it is time for Octavia to come home. As usual, I walk all the way to her front door, but before she goes inside, I caress her cheek and give her a deeper kiss than usual as a way of saying thank you to her again. When we part, she smiles sweetly as we both say goodnight before she walks inside, and I walk home.

I surprisingly feel so much better after I told her the truth. I thought for sure Octavia would yell at me, rebuke me, maybe even dump me, but instead, she acknowledged that what I did was wrong, understood how I feel about Sunset Shimmer, and encouraged me to change. I don't care how I'm better than any guy she met at Manehattan; I do not deserve to be with this girl.

I get home, and my mom calls out from the kitchen, saying that dinner will be ready in a half-hour, and as usual, I say "okay" and go up to my room. I sit on my bed, thinking about everything that happened today until Caramel and Soarin enter my mind. I decide I should call them, figuring that Caramel is probably hanging at Soarin's place right now as he often does after school.

I dial Soarin's number and wait a few moments before Soarin answers.

"Dude, Rough Draft, are you alright?" He exclaims. "Caramel and I saw you and Octavia in the crowd outside the courthouse, but after the flash, you two were gone with the Dazzlings!"

Oh yeah. I forgot that they don't know about our chase with Sonata and Adagio.

"Yeah, we're fine. Octavia and I just went home after the Dazzlings disappeared, so there's nothing to worry about." I lie. "But I want to talk about that later. Is Caramel with you?"

"Yeah, why?" Soarin asks.

"Could you bring him over and put your phone on speaker?" I request.

"Uh, sure," Soarin says, confused.

It takes a couple of minutes before both of them are on the phone.

"What's going on, dude?" Caramel asks

I sigh before I answer, "Well, I told Octavia what happened between Sunset Shimmer and me."

For a moment, I don't hear anything. Then Caramel says, "Seriously? I thought you weren't going to tell her yet."

"I wasn't, but then she convinced me that keeping the secret was not the best idea, so I told her everything," I answer.

"How did she take it?" Soarin asks.

"Surprisingly well," I answer. "She's not pleased with what I did to Rarity and all, but she wants me to work things out with my anger against Sunset Shimmer."

"Whoa, that's unexpected," Soarin comments.

"I agree," I say. "And there's something else I want to say."

"Yes?" They both ask.

I take a moment before I say, "During the talk, I told her how the three of us made up after the dance, and I realized that I never thanked you guys for forgiving me."

"Aw, hey man, don't worry about it," Soarin says. "It's water under the bridge."

"Yeah, it's no a big deal," Caramel says.

"It is to me," I say. "You guys made things easier for me after what happened, and if it wasn't for you, I might never have met Octavia, so I just wanted to say thank you for all you guys have done."

"Hey, it's cool, dude. We still on to do something after class tomorrow?" Soarin asks.

"Hey, I promised we would, didn't I?" I say. "Do you guys have any ideas on what we could do?"

"Hmmm. I can't think of anything, but we can figure that out at lunch tomorrow," Caramel suggests. "Anyway, I think I better head home, so I'll catch you guys later."

"Sounds good. Later, guys," I say.

"Later," They both say.

I hang up my phone and put it on my desk before lying down on my bed, careful not to hurt my back this time. Today has been a long day with the trial, chasing Sonata and her sisters, taking Sonata to Vinyl's house, interrogating her, and eventually telling Octavia the truth. I think about how people are going to be acting crazy at school again, what's going to happen between the E.M.R. and the Rainbooms, and what will happen to Sonata.

But then I start to think about Octavia and how she wants me to try to overcome my anger towards Sunset Shimmer. Of all the things to happen after I finally told her what happened at the Spring Fling, this is probably what I expected to happen the least. But I have to admit that she's right. I'm so venomous towards Sunset Shimmer, and yet despite brainwashing me with her sisters, I'm hoping that we can get Sonata out of prison and give her a second chance. I still think that Sunset Shimmer could be up to something, but if I'm wrong, then maybe it's time that I bury the hatchet.

The only question is, can I?

Author's Note:

First of all, pros to anyone who caught the Legends of Equestria reference.

Second of all, whew! I'm glad to finally have this chapter posted. I really hope that it helped you guys a lot to finally know what went down between Rough Draft and Sunset Shimmer and why he's been so bitter toward her all this time.

Thirdly, I apologize if the part of how Rough Draft became friends with Caramel and Soarin is not written the best. I lost a lot of progress for that part after Chrome crashed on me, so writing that part all over again was hard.

Anyways, stay tuned for the next chapter!

PreviousChapters Next