• Published 18th Oct 2016
  • 2,976 Views, 243 Comments

A Search for Something More - HAKDurbin



Rough Draft is a senior in Canterlot High who writes fan fiction and dreams of finding love. He's also the only person in the entire school who still doesn't believe that Sunset Shimmer is reformed.

  • ...
31
 243
 2,976

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: Pinkie Pie's Party

I can't believe I'm doing this. I was perfectly fine with not trying to find a girlfriend while I'm still in high school, and yet here I am, walking toward Pinkie Pie's house after she practically tortured me to go to her party. At least getting hypnotized by Sunset Shimmer and The Dazzlings was quick and painless.

Well, there's no point in turning back now, so I may as well get this over with. I make it to the front door, already hearing people chattering inside, but before I could ring the doorbell, the door flies open and reveals an excited Pinkie Pie.

"Rough Draft! You made it!!!"

Evidently, Pinkie Pie has been waiting for me.

Before I know it, Pinkie pulls me inside and leads me to the middle of the living room. It looks like half of the school has already come and started hanging out, eating snacks, playing games, and so on.

"Soooo, see any girls that might suit your interest?" I hear Pinkie Pie say with a not-so-subtle hint of anticipation in her voice. I hesitate before I respond.

"Actually, Pinkie, maybe I should grab a snack or something before I go that far," I answer. "I mean, the night is still young, and there's no reason to hurry, right?"

"Oooo! That's a great idea!" Pinkie Pie says. "Get settled before looking around and finding someone to make a move on. How strategically sneaky. Well, don't let me stop you from melting some hearts. Go get 'em, tiger!"

She elbows me and gives me a wink before she walks away, leaving me to do what I said I'm going to do. I walk over to the food table and grab some chips and punch before I find an empty wall to lean on. As I start eating, I decide to look around and see if there actually are some girls that could be worth humoring Caramel, Soarin, and Pinkie Pie. Unsurprisingly, there aren't any. Most of the girls are with their boyfriends or in a big group. I sigh as I begin to contemplate how pointless this whole thing is. On the bright side, it can't get any worse than this.

"Hi, Rough Draft."

It's worse.

With full control over my emotions, I slowly turn to find Sunset Shimmer standing right next to me. She gives this innocent, nervous chuckle that makes my blood boil. It's obvious that she's trying to make me believe that she has genuinely changed like everyone else so that she's even closer to carry out whatever scheme she has up her sleeve. I look away from her, staying focused on eating my food, hoping that will give her the message, but I can tell she's still there.

"Um...h-how are you?" she asks awkwardly.

I keep a disinterested face, ignoring what she is saying.

"Um, what's new with your stories? Destroyed any more Sith empires since facing Darth Jafierum lately?"

Seriously? She's trying to strike a conversation by pretending to be interested in my stories this time? That's kind of pathetic. Nice touch with mentioning the Sith Lord I was writing about in my stories at the time, though. I'll give her that.

"H-how about this party, huh?" Sunset Shimmer asks. "Pinkie Pie is outdoing herself this time. I hear DJ-PON-3 is going to bring her DJ booth mobile to play some tunes on the front yard."

Again, I ignore what she is saying.

"Um...would you like to dance with my friends and me when she comes here?" She asks.

I finally stop eating.

Really? Is she serious? Does she think that asking me to dance is going to make everything go away? Talk about nerve. I quietly take a deep breath before I slowly shake my head no.

"Oh. Okay. Well, I'll see you around then," Sunset Shimmer says, sounding disappointed as she walks away.

Wow. I am amazed that she tried that. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised seeing as how I'm the only person who still doesn't like her, giving this cute and innocent demeanor to try to get back on my good side is practically insulting to me. Even if, for the sake of argument, she really wants to make things better between us, I can't oblige her. It doesn't matter if she's good, she can't just try to patch things up by trying to start up a conversation or ask for a dance like that. It's just not going to work that way. In any case, I don't want to dwell on this right now. I need to focus on the task at hand with trying to find someone else just to satisfy Caramel and So -

"Hey, Rough Draft!"

Ah, speaking of my best friends.

Caramel and Soarin walk up, excited to see me.

"Thank heaven that you came, dude," Caramel says. "I was afraid you weren't going to come."

"Uh, yeah. Pinkie Pie convinced me to go." I reply.

"Oh yeah? How did she manage to do that?" Soarin asks.

I take a moment to think about that question before I answer with a shiver, "You don't want to know."

Both of them stare at me, confused before they look at each other for a moment and shrug.

"Well, alright then," Soarin starts, "Ready to go and find yourself a girl, Drafty, my man?"

I make an unamused look at what he just called me, but eventually, roll my eyes and say, "Well, I'm here now. Might as well give it a try, I guess."

"Yeah! That's close enough to the spirit!" Soarin exclaims. "Come on. DJ-PON-3 is outside and is about to start performing. There's already a crowd forming around her car, so let's go and look around over there."

He grabs me by the shirt and yanks me to the front door, making me drop my plate and cup.


****************************************************************************************************************


In the middle of the road right in front of Pinkie's house, the famous DJ in our school, Vinyl Scratch, a.k.a. DJ-PON-3, parks her car in front of the house. Students crowd around her car as she takes out a remote, presses a button, and the car transforms into a DJ booth. The crowd roars with excitement as Pinkie Pie stands in from of the DJ booth with a microphone.

"Ladies and gentlemen, are you ready to rock!?!?!" She shouts.

The crowd goes wild in response.

"Well, we're not going to

The cheers die down as everybody stares in confusion.

"Then, without further ado, I give you the one, the only, the super, duper awesome DJ-PON-3!!!!!" Pinkie Pie shouts cheerfully.

The crowd goes even wilder as DJ-PON-3 starts placing vinyl discs into her DJ table and plays some music. Everyone dances as the loud beats blast from the speakers. How Pinkie Pie doesn't receive noise complaints from her neighbors because of the loud music is a mystery to me.

Soarin, Caramel, and I are standing at the back of the crowd. Soarin is tapping his foot while Caramel and I are staring at the crowd. I look at both of them before I finally ask, "Alright, Cupids, so how do we go from standing at the very back of a huge crowd to finding a girl?"

Both Caramel and Soarin stop what they are doing and turn to me before Caramel puts a hand on my shoulder and starts pushing me toward the crowd.

"I think the first step is to get you into that crowd and start dancing," he says while pushing me.

I take a moment to process what I heard, mentally praying I didn't hear something so ridiculous before I stop him from pushing me further.

"What?"

"Yeah, man," Soarin adds. "Just dive right into that crowd, dance your way around, and do some awesome dance moves. You'll get the attention of the ladies in no time."

"Dude, I barely can dance," I say. "I don't know any moves that would be considered 'awesome.' Besides, it's too crowded to do anything with people dancing so close to each other."

"Aw come on, dude," Soarin protests. "It can't be that hard to do. Plus, even if you suck, the girls might like you anyway for your, uh, enthusiasm. Just take your best shot and don't turn back."

"Oh yeah, right," I say, rolling my eyes. "Good thinking there, guys. You two and Pinkie Pie convince me to come over here to dance into a crowd of people and hope for the best to find a girl to date. Pure genius."

"Come on, Rough Draft," says Caramel. "You made it this far, so take whatever chance you have. The night is young, and there are countless girls out there. You're not going to find out unless you give it a try."

I facepalm, unable to believe what I'm hearing. But then, I get an idea that might do the trick.

"Well, if you're so certain of that, then why don't you two go over there and ask Rainbow Dash and Applejack to dance with you?" I say with a mischievous grin, pointing far into the right side of the back of the crowd where Rainbow Dash and Applejack are dancing with Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Sunset Shimmer.

Soarin and Caramel freeze. It takes a couple of seconds before they respond.

"Are you crazy?" Caramel exclaims. "I can't talk to Applejack period, let alone have the guts to ask her to dance with me!"

Soarin hesitates before he adds with a nervous chuckle, "And I don't think Rainbow Dash is interested in ...um... dancing with one of her teammates."

"Well, tough luck on both counts, fellas," I reply. "You just said that I'm not going to find out about finding a girl out there unless I give it a try. So if you're so certain about that, then why don't you prove it? I will carry out your questionable plan if you two ask Applejack and Rainbow Dash to dance with you."

Both of them stammer in response, trying to think of a way to counter my challenge. But in the end, they hang their heads in defeat, knowing I have them cornered.

"Well, what are you two waiting for? Hop to it," I say.

They look nervously at each other before they turn and walk toward their respective crushes.

"Good luck, you guys!" I shout out to them, sincerely. I may have done this to get back at them, but I do hope this will lead to my friends getting together with their respective crushes.

Well, now that's taken care of, I guess I have to fulfill my end of the bargain. The thing is, however, I wasn't kidding when I said I barely know how to dance. I get the idea that you are moving your body, and that's kind of it. I awkwardly walk toward the crowd, mentally telling myself that this whole thing is ridiculous. I stop walking for a moment and decide to see how Soarin and Caramel are doing. By the looks of things, Soarin has already asked Rainbow Dash, and she seems to have said yes before they join the crowd. Caramel, however, wasn't having that much luck. He appears to be scratching the back of his head while trying to talk to Applejack. Thankfully, Applejack seems to be flattered at what he's trying to do while Rarity and Fluttershy are giggling, and Sunset Shimmer is smirking. I begin to think about coming over there and helping hi -

Hang on. That's five of the Rainbooms. Where is -?

"Well, what are you waiting for?"

I nearly jump out of my skin, screaming before I turn to see that Pinkie Pie is standing right behind me.

"You're not going to get a girl doing nothing, silly. Get out there and dance!" She says.

"How do you know that's what I'm trying to do?" I ask.

"Soarin told me about your deal before he and Dashie went dancing. And I think that's an even sneakier idea to find yourself a lady friend. You sly devil you!" she replies while giving me a noogie. Then she grabs me by the hand, dragging me closer to the crowd. "Now, you get out there and amaze some ladies!"

"But Pinkie, I don't even really know how to dance!" I shout.

Pinkie stops pulling me for a moment and looks at me with an amused look on her face.

"Oh, that is super easy!" she says with a giggle. "Just move your body to the beat of the music. Bob your head, move your feet, wave your hands in the air, and shake your groove thing, easy peasy!"

I stare at her for at the moment, trying to process this information.

"Uh...okay, bob head, feet, hands...what was that last part?"

But before I get an answer, Pinkie Pie turns around and hears DJ-PON-3 beginning to play a new song. She squeals in excitement before she grabs my hand again, shouting, "Okay new song! Time to knock them dead! Go! Go! Go! Go!"

And the next thing I knew, I am yanked right into the sea of students in complete fear of what happens inside.



****************************************************************************************************************



I barely have an idea what in the world is going on. I'm in a cramped amount of space as people are dancing all around me. I try to move away from everyone, but every step I take, I bump into someone. How do people enjoy this!?! Everyone is going crazy with these random movements in these very tight spaces, and I'm stuck in the middle of them just trying not to get smacked in the face with an arm or accidentally stepping on someone's foot. Screw finding a girlfriend, I want to get out of here alive!

"Woohoo! Look at you go, Rough Draft!"

I turn to see Pinkie Pie right next to me, dancing with the crowd.

"See? I told you dancing is super easy!" She shouts so that she can be heard despite the loud music.

"Pinkie I'm not dancing, I'm dodging!" I shout.

"Ooh, your own dance move: the Dodger! I like it!" She shouts back in excitement.

I groan, unable to believe what she just said.

"Pinkie, you are crazy! How is dancing in this short amount of space supposed to get someone to like me!?" I ask.

Pinkie Pie giggles before she answers, "Oh, you don't impress girls here, you silly. You impress them by competing in dance-offs!"

"What!? What are you talking about!?" I ask.

"Every crowd of dancers always have some spots where people form a circle, and some of them go inside it and compete for who has the best moves! All we have to do is find one and prove that you're the best! And when you do, ladies will be so impressed that they'll want your phone number by the end of the night!"

"But I don't have any moves!" I protest.

"Yes, you do! You have the Dodger! Just keep on rocking it, and you'll be impressing ladies in no time!" Pinkie Pie says.

"Pinkie, I told you I am intentionally dodgi -"

"There must be a dance-off forming nearby! Stay here and keep shaking that groove thing while I find a good spot to show your moves!"

"What!? Pinkie, don't leave me! Pinkie! Pinkie! Pinkie Pie, you get back here right now!"

It's no use. That pink, maniacal girl disappeared as quickly as she appeared, leaving me to fend for myself while bumping into people and accidentally stepping on their feet.

I hope Soarin and Caramel have a wonderful, lovely time with Rainbow Dash and Applejack because they are dead meat the next time I see them. That is if I even live to see them.

Thankfully, after what felt like an eternity, Pinkie Pie pops back right in front of me.

"I found just the right dance-off spot to get you started! It's currently a dance-off between Trixie and Flash Sentry! Those two don't stand a chance against the Dodger!"

"Pinkie, will you please stop saying that?! It's not a dance mooOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!" I shout as she grabs my arm and pulls me through a bunch of people at a surprisingly fast pace.

I keep my eyes shut as we keep bumping into people left and right. Before I know it, Pinkie Pie throws me into a somewhat spacey circle of people where Trixie and Flash Sentry are dancing. Trixie is doing what I think is the Robot, while Flash Sentry is doing some butt boggy.

I keep staring at them before Pinkie shouts from behind, "Go on, start dancing!"

"Pinkie, I don't even know what I'm supposed to do!" I protest.

"Just do the Dodger, and you'll show them who the boss is!"

I begin to point out to her again that that's not an actual move, but instead, I sigh knowing it'll be falling on deaf ears. I look around to see people staring at me, waiting for me to do something. I let out a groan wanting to get out of here. But then I start to consider what Pinkie Pie said and try to imagine that I'm still trying to dodge people from getting hit. If that's supposed to be what Pinkie Pie thinks is the key, then I might as well go with it. What do I have to lose anyway?

I awkwardly start to move my body, thinking of how I was trying to avoid colliding with people. Oddly enough, I hear people begin to cheer.

Really? People like this? I'm just moving around like a weirdo!

I keep on going and notice that Trixie and Flash Sentry start to become uneasy and try to dance harder. But I keep on doing the Dodger (ugh, can't believe I'm saying that), still confused at what is happening. Finally, the song ends, and some guy walks into the circle, raises my hand and shouts, "WINNER!" Everyone goes wild and starts patting me on the back or giving me high fives or fist bumps. Eventually, the circle dissolves with people going back to dancing together, leaving Pinkie Pie and me standing in front of each other in another crowded space.

"I knew it! I knew you could do it! You rocked!" Pinkie Pie exclaims.

"I just moved around all over the place like a dork!" I shout back.

"Exactly! You showed a lot of energy and wicked cool movement that proved that you are the best dancer!" Pinkie Pie explains. "I mean come on, doing the Robot and shaking your butt? Been there, seen that! And there you were showing moves that are much wilder that puts them to shame!"

"So, that's all it takes?" I say out of confusion.

"Oh yeah, just keep on grooving, and you'll impress some girls before you know it!"

I take a moment to think about what she said. This whole idea still sounds ridiculous, but on the other hand, I did win the dance-off.

"I guess we could try a couple more of these dance-offs," I say.

"Now, you're talking!" Pinkie Pie screams in excitement. "Come on; I found another one while you were beating Trixie and Flash!"

Without further warning, she grabs my arm again and pulls me through the crowd, bumping into people left and right just as before.


*****************************************************************************************************************

For the most part, Pinkie Pie was right. A lot of people were hyped with me doing the Dodger. (Why am I still calling it that?) I kept using this so-called dance move, and I end up winning every dance-off. I lost on the third to last dance-off to a guy who had this crazy tinker toy move that wowed everyone, even Pinkie Pie, but people were still entertained by what I was doing. Two dance-offs after that, Pinkie Pie and I go back inside the house and sit down so I can catch my breath.

"See? What did I tell you? They all loved you," Pinkie Pie says excitedly.

"I gotta hand it to you, Pinkie, that was pretty fun. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this," I say as I drink a cup of water.

"That's great! Now all that's left is for a girl to make a move on you."

Suddenly, Pinkie Pie makes a very loud and long gasp.

"Oh my gosh, I almost forgot!" She says.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I promised Sunset that I would meet her at the front porch for something right around now! Okay, wait right here and stay cute. I will be back in just a second."

And before I can say anything else, she disappears.

Well, that wasn't weird at all.

"Hey, Rough Draft!"

I turn around to see Soarin making his way over to me.

"I saw you out there. Glad you fulfilled your end of the bargain," he says.

"And I can see you did the same," I reply as I see Rainbow Dash coming right behind him.

Soarin turns to look at his crush and says, "Oh yeah, I don't think you two have formally been introduced. Rough Draft, Rainbow Dash, Rainbow Dash, this is my buddy, Rough Draft."

"'Sup?" Rainbow Dash says as she puts her hand up for a fist bump.

I bumped her fist before I say, "So are you guys enjoying the music?"

"Yeah, it's pretty cool, but I'm more impressed with this guy having the guts to dance with me," Rainbow Dash says as she elbows Soarin, who responds with a nervous chuckle. "I understand you're the one that gave him the nudge to ask."

"Guilty as charged," I reply with a smirk.

"Nice job," she says before leaning closer to me. "Just between us, I was wondering if he was ever going to make a move."

I was taken aback by this information, surprised that she likes Soarin back. Then again, Soarin has been hard on himself a lot whenever he talks about how he feels about her, so after being his friend for so long, I guess it would be hard to believe.

"Well, I'm glad I could help both of you out," I reply before she moves back to Soarin. "So, you two going to dance some more?"

"Nah, we're kinda wiped out." he says, "We're just going to hang here for the rest of the night. Heck, maybe we'll see you talking to a girl or two after those dance moves."

Rainbow Dash looks at Soarin, confused.

"Uh, what are you talking about?" She asks.

"Well, part of why we came to the party was to help Rough Draft find a girlfriend," Soarin explains. "So Caramel and I suggested that he starts by heading over here and showing some dance moves out there. Then, I told Pinkie Pie about it, and she came up with the idea of having him compete in some dance-offs. She said that should get girls to like him."

Rainbow Dash looks at the both of us, unable to process what she just heard.

"So you, Caramel, and Pinkie Pie thought that the ticket to get your buddy a girl was to compete in some dance-offs?" She asks.

"Yeah, that was the master plan, apparently," I answer.

For a moment, Rainbow Dash doesn't do anything. Then she bursts out laughing, trying to hold on to her gut.

"You dorks thought that was going to work!?!" She exclaims in mid laughter.

I quickly put my hands up in the air and answer defensively, "Don't look at me. I pretty much went with whatever ideas have been given to me. Heck, if Pinkie Pie said it was a good idea, then why should I question the party planner?"

"Well, either she's misinformed, or she pulled a prank on you, dude," Rainbow Dash replies. "You should've just tried asking a girl to dance with you. At least there you would have a chance."

"But they don't know me, and I wouldn't know them, so there's no point," I refute.

Rainbow Dash snorts before she places her hand on my shoulder, points at me with her finger and says, "Buddy, the real key to having a real chance with a girl is to ask. It might not always work, but you're never going to get anywhere from just waiting and hoping. You may have tricked Soarin and Caramel to ask me and AJ to dance, but they still did it. I'm having a good time with Soarin thanks to that, and I hope Caramel will get on with asking Applejack to do the same sometime this year."

"Easy for you to say," I counter. "You two at least have known each other for a while, and at least Caramel has known -"

Before I finish my sentence, I freeze as I looked at the front door. DJ-PON-3 is coming in to take a break from performing, and walking behind her is the beautiful girl that has caught my eye. She has grey skin, violet eyes, and long, dark grey hair that goes down to her waist. She's wearing a white shirt with a purple vest, a pink bow tie, and a long pink skirt with a purple treble clef on it. She walks across the room with a high-class look on her face. I have no idea what it is about this girl that has caught my interest, but there is something about her that implies there is more to her that what she leads on.

"So what are you waiting for?"

I break away from my trance to see Rainbow Dash with a smirk on her face.

"I saw the way you were looking at her, dude," she says. "You obviously are interested in that girl. Get over there and talk to her."

"Oh nononononononononono," I quickly respond, waving my hands. "I'm not going to try to talk to a girl like her. She obviously is way out of my league to be interested in a guy like me. She probably already has a boyfriend anyway. And besides, Pinkie Pie told me to stay right here while she's doing, uh, something with Sunset Shimmer."

Rainbow Dash gives me an unamused expression and facepalms.

"Rough Draft, what I just say before?" she asks.

I was irritated at her question, but I rapidly answer, "The real key to actually having a real chance with a girl is to ask. I get what you're saying, but at least you guys know each other, and Caramel knows Applejack. I just saw that girl 20 seconds ago, and I don't even know her name. She doesn't even know that I exist, so the -"

"Oh enough with the excuses, dude." Rainbow Dash retorts. "None of them are a good reason for you not to try. You don't know her name, so ask and try to strike a conversation from there. Now, quit being a sissy and walk right up to her."

I try to think of something else to say, but I stop myself, knowing Rainbow Dash is not going to have it. Reluctantly, I turn around and awkwardly walk up to the girl. She has just finished a conversation with DJ-PON-3 before the latter leaves to grab some food. The girl is leaning on a wall, drinking punch before she turns around and looks right at me. I take a moment to look at my surroundings and realize that I'm already standing next to her.

Well, here goes nothing.

I take a big, long sigh before I nervously say, "H-h-hi."

She gives me a confused look before she says in a fancy, British accent, "Greetings."

Okay, so that's a start. I try to think about what Rainbow Dash said. I think she mentioned that I should introduce myself.

"Um...my name is Rough Draft," I say.

She raises an eyebrow before she awkwardly responds, "Indeed."

Okay, I didn't get her name, so I'm one for two. Alright, think, Rough Draft. What else did Rainbow Dash say? Strike a conversation. Okay, what kind of topics can I talk about? What grade is she in? Favorite subject? Now that I think about it, she might be new to the school.

"Are you new to the school? I don't think I've seen you around before." I ask.

It takes a moment before the girl answers, "Yes. My family and I moved from Manehattan; I just started going to CHS in early September."

"Oh, nice," I say back.

Oh, nice? Is that the best I can do for a response? I gotta do better than that.

"So, is this your first time at one of Pinkie Pie's parties?" I ask.

"No, actually, I've gone to a couple over the past couple of weeks, the girl says.

"Oh yeah? Do you like her parties?" I ask.

She shrugs before responding, "I suppose so. The food is pretty good, and she does hire my friend Vinyl to perform at her parties. I admit I'm not particularly fond of dubstep, but Vinyl has some catchy songs here and there."

Wow. I did not expect her not to be so thrilled with Vinyl Scratch's music. That's a first.

"Actually, now that I think about it, I think I saw you in the crowd earlier tonight," the girl says.

"Oh yeah?" I say in a hopeful tone.

"Yes, I believe you were competing in those...dance-offs or whatever they are called. No offense, but you acted very silly out there. That was a very unusual way to dance."

D'oh!

Of all the times she would have seen me before, it had to be when I was out there doing "the Dodger." Rainbow Dash was right, that is a stupid way to try to get a girl to like me. I swear, if Pinkie Pie set me up to pull a prank...I don't think I could do anything to get back at her because it's Pinkie Pie, but I definitely would never forgive her.

"Uh, well in all fairness, it was kind of my first try with dancing," I say with a nervous chuckle. "Pinkie Pie was trying to help me, but I kept trying to not bump into people once I joined the crowd. She took it as an actual dance, and - I swear I'm not making this up, called this made up 'dance move' the Dodger."

The girl stares at me for a moment before she smiles and covers her mouth.

"A-are you serious? T-t-the Dodger?" she asks as she starts chuckling.

I start to become more comfortable with her laughing as I continue.

"Yup. She looks at me moving for my life, and the next thing I know: The Dodger," I say, smirking.

The girl snickers and says, "Y-y-you've got to be joking! Who comes up with something like that?"

"Pinkie does, and now I am declared the dodging master," I say jokingly.

At that, she giggles, trying not to spill her drink.

"Y-You're so silly," She manages to say after a while.

I chuckle and say, "Well, I practice every day with Pinkie."

The two of us continue laughing before we let out a big sigh and look away, trying to think of something else to say. But then, she makes a small gasp before she grabs her phone from her skirt pocket and panics.

"Oh, my goodness! I gotta go!" She exclaims. "Uh, listen, if you could just tell Vinyl that I need to head home already, I would greatly appreciate it."

I stutter for a moment before I quickly nod in response. She begins to run out of the house, but stops for a moment and turns to me.

"Octavia."

I give her a confused look before she clarifies, "My name is Octavia Melody."

"Oh, that makes sense," I say before I offer my hand and say, "Nice to meet you, Ms. Melody."

"Yes, good to meet you too, Mr. Draft." She says while quickly shaking my hand. "Have a good night!"

"You too!" I quickly call out even though she is already gone by the time I respond.

Well, I admit that went better than I thought. I have the name of this girl, at the very least. Octavia Melody. What a lovely name. She recently moved, so she likely hasn't heard about what happened at the Spring Fling. I don't have her in any of my classes, but maybe I'll see her around school, and I can get to know her more.

I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to find DJ-PON-3 right behind me. She makes a hand movement, probably to ask where Octavia is.

"Oh, she said that she needed to head home," I say.

She gives a thumbs up and a smile before she walks away without a word. There's a rumor that DJ-PON-3 is mute. She communicates with hand gestures on pretty much anything; ordering a milkshake at Sugercube Corner, performing at her gigs, participating in her classes, you name it. Not even Pinkie Pie, even though DJ-PON-3 performs in all of her parties, knows for sure if she is a mute. Personally, I think she is, and she's just going with it like it's not a big deal.

"Hey Rough Draft," I hear Soarin call out as he and Rainbow Dash walk up to me. "We saw you talking to her that girl. Way to go."

"Yeah, not bad for a newb." Rainbow Dash adds with a smirk. "So, did you get a name from her?"

"Yeah, Octavia Melody," I reply. "She just recently moved here and is friends with DJ-PON-3. Oh, and she confirmed that the whole dance-off thing was, as she so politely puts it, 'very silly.'"

"Yeah, well, someone besides me had to break it to you sooner or later," Rainbow Dash remarks. "But seriously, nice job."

"Thanks. So what do I do now?" I ask.

"Hey, you're on your own, dude," She replies. "I have helped you plenty, so now you need to man up and take it from here."

Darn it. I was hoping to get a little more help than that.

Well, it was nice having some real help while it lasted. All in all, though, I think it's safe to say that going to this party wasn't as pointless as I thought. Who knows? Maybe I'll see Octavia at school, and I could ask her out. Shouldn't be that hard after having at least one conversation with her, I hope.

Speaking of which...

"Hey, do you guys know how Caramel is doing?" I ask.

"Oh yeah. I think I saw him and Applejack go somewhere. Hopefully, that means he finally got to ask her," Soarin replies.

"Heh, about time," Rainbow Dash comments. "Truth be told, I didn't think he was going to say anything. I mean, no offense since he's your friend and all, but it didn't look good when we left to dance. "

"Well, he seems to have overcome his nervousness," Soarin says "So I think he's going to be fine. What's the worst that could happen?"

PreviousChapters Next