• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 1,119 Views, 450 Comments

OC SlamJam - Round Two - OC Slamjam



A compilation of all entries received from Round Two of the OC Slamjam, where authors invented OCs and were paired up into brackets to write a story about their opponent's OC and their own!

  • ...
1
 450
 1,119

Loam vs. Ace Artisan - Winner: Ace Artisan (by Default)

Priorities - by Ace Artisan's Author

"A corpse!?"

Loam winced from the bottom of the deep hole. Peeking up at the stallion along the rim, she mumbled, "It's, uh, more of a… box of bones."

Ace Artisan stopped breathing. He jerked his head around, surveying the dusty, flat construction site adjacent to Canterlot General Hospital. It was dusk, and fortunately, the lot was dead quiet. Backhoes and earthmovers littered the area, and besides a couple inattentive guards starting their shift, the only ponies around were the grey architect and the brown foundation-digger.

Loam called back up from the hole, "Should I bring it out?"

Ace's head whipped back to her. "No!" He dove into the large hole, landing with a soft thud and a puff of dirt. When he saw Loam shrink away a little, he cleared his throat and regained his composure. "No, please. We shouldn't move…" He flicked a hoof at the small wooden casket with the collapsed sides. "…it until we know what we're going to do." He pranced in place and looked all around. "This is bad. This is very bad."

"Yeah." Loam frowned and looked back at the open box. Inside was a skull sitting atop the pile of bones. "Poor mare. She wasn't even buried with any belongings."

"What? No!" Ace stared wide-eyed at the brown mare. "Loam, focus! If somepony finds this thing, they'll shut down construction until they can do another archeological survey. The first one already took two months longer than anticipated, and we're behind schedule enough as it is."

Loam sat and cocked her head to the side. "But… Don't you feel bad for her at all?"

Ace sat down and stared at the earth below him. He knocked a hoof repeatedly against his head while a cold sweat dripped down his face. "Think. We can fix this. We can fix this." His breathing picked up, and his thoughts raced in circles. 'What if there's an official investigation? Dammit! Construction could be delayed for a year, and Canterlot needs the extra hospital space! Ugh, couldn't she have died someplace else? And what if–'

"Ace!"

His head snapped up, and he sucked in a quick breath. "Yes?"

Loam's eyes flickered between the ground and her friend's face. "You… don't think it's kinda sad? She was left all alone here. I dug around, and there isn't anypony else with her. Not even a stone slab or anything."

Ace sighed. "Loam, we have to worry about the living right now. That thing is going to put a lot in jeopardy: my firm's work, your job here, and especially the hospital staff and patients."

"She's not a thing, Ace," Loam said flatly. She looked at the skull and rested a hoof on its forehead. "She's a mare. Looks like an Earth Pony, too. She deserves better than this."

Ace cocked an eyebrow. "How do you know it's a mare?"

Loam narrowed her gaze. "I work in a graveyard. You pick up on the details."

Ace blushed. "Oh, sorry." He looked up and out of the hole. "We still need to do something with… her, though. She can't stay here. Could you, I don't know…" Forcing himself to make eye contact, he gnawed on his lower lip. "Could you rebury her, maybe?"

Loam crossed her forelegs and scowled. "Ace, I'm pretty sure that's illegal."

Ace's stomach knotted, but he pictured everypony's work going up in flames. "Please? Just this once?"

Loam kept quiet.

Ace let out a frustrated sighed. His hackles raised a little, and he thought, 'She's being so short-sighted. Doesn't she care about what a delay would do to all those patients?'

Taking a deep breath, he looked back up to her. "Loam, it's just random chance that we found her here. Don't think of it as disturbing her. Think of it as giving her a proper burial."

Loam stuck her lower lip out and raised an eyebrow. "Hm…" She looked back down at the broken casket. Ace could see the gears turning, and she rocked her head back and forth for a few moments before replying. "Okay, but only because she deserves better. And you have to carry her."

Ace's chest tightened up, but he nodded and kept himself from making a face at the box. "That's fair. Thanks, Loam."

"And you need to dig me a grave or two tonight. With all the foundation work this place needs, I've fallen behind."

"Hey, you're the one that wanted the extra work. But yes, it's a deal." Ace turned and, with some frantic scurrying, climbed out of the hole. "Let's not waste any more time. It's already going to be a long night."

When he didn't hear a response, he looked back over his shoulder. "Loam?"

She hadn't budged. "Won't… Nocturne be worried about you?"

"Oh, no. She'll be fine. She knows how important this project is to me."

Loam dug a hoof into the dirt. "Uh… Yeah, but you've been working late and coming by the site all week. Don't you think she misses you?"

Ace shook his head and waved a hoof. "I'll get her flowers and bring her to a violin stunt show or something. Right now, work comes first."

Loam paused. "I mean, I can understand that, but, uh…"

Ace turned around. "Yes?"

Loam locked eyes with Ace. It took her several seconds to say, "Never mind."

"Alright, then." He looked up and around the lot until he saw a wooden cart about fifty yards away. "I'll be right back."

Shaking the dust out of his mane, Ace trotted toward the cart and narrated to himself. 'Don't panic. Stand up straight. Walk like you own the place, and nopony will mess with you.' He tripped over his own hooves. 'And stop shaking so much!'

Ace made it all the way to the cart before a pudgy, cream-colored Unicorn guard bounced up to him. "Oh, evenin', Ace! Whatcha doin' 'round dese here parts so late, eh?"

Ace's blood ran cold. He grimaced and spoke through gritted teeth. "Hi, Night Light." His legs became stiff. 'It's okay. Just get him out of here.'

"Lockjaw still givin' ya' issues, eh? Ya' should really see a doc 'bout dat."

Ace cocked his head to the side, and forced his mouth to move. "Uh… Will do, Night Light! Hey, could you do me a favor?"

"Oh, sure ting, buddy! Whatcha need? Loam havin' trouble in da hole o'er yonder?"

Ace gulped. 'Think fast.' He quickly scanned around and caught just a glimpse of a grey unicorn skulking around the edge of the construction site. 'Perfect.'

Ace cleared his throat and pointed. "Some weirdo's been hanging around here all day. Could you make sure he's not up to anything?"

Night Light beamed. "Oh, o' course! Love ta do some real work now 'n then! Harhar!" He spun around with the energy of a pony half his size and blew his whistle. "Stop! Tief!" With a snort, he bounced away after the other pony.

Ace looked around. A second guard headed that direction, too, so he quickly took the cart and a nearby tarp. He hurried back over to Loam.

She was still in the hole, but she'd managed to seal the box back up. "What took you so long?"

"There was a minor complication, but it's been taken care of. We should hurry."

"Yeah. It's getting dark." She gently picked up the box and, despite her small size, lifted it above her head and over to Ace.

With a shudder and a reminder to himself that it was just calcium inside, Ace grabbed the box and gingerly set it in the cart. A quick flip of the tarp later, and their grisly package was ready for delivery.

Loam climbed out of the hole and hitched up the cart to Ace's back, then threw both their saddlebags onto the tarp to keep the wind from blowing it away. After it was secured, she trotted toward the street. "I'll take us the back way. It's a bit longer, but there isn't much light. Should be safer."

"Yes. Good idea." Ace nodded at Loam, then looked back at the cart, which sent a shiver up his spine.

They cantered off of the lot and through the cool summer night, staying close together. Ace took slow steps so Loam could keep up. The wheels of the wooden cart creaked, and each bump in the road jostled the harness, reminding him of what he was doing. Ace pictured the mare's remains jumping out of their box and landing on his back, and he struggled to keep from vomiting.

A few ponies passed them by, each giving them an asymmetric look. Some stared at the ragged cart, while others gaped at the size difference between the two ponies that accompanied it. Fortunately, none stopped to say anything.

After a particularly snooty Unicorn turned his nose up at them and crossed the street, Ace let out a nervous chuckle. "Heh. Nice thing about Canterlot. Nopony has any time or care to question what you're up to."

Loam didn't respond. She only kept staring forward, occasionally motioning with a hoof when they needed to make a turn.

A fresh breeze rolled through the deserted streets. The trees rustled, and Ace found himself jerking his head toward every little noise that seemed out of the ordinary.

He cleared his throat. "I haven't been this far from the city center at night in a long time. It's a little spooky how–"

"What do you think her name was?"

Ace looked back to Loam, who was staring back at the cart. "Pardon?"

Loam looked up at Ace. "She must have had a name. What do you think it was?"

Ace turned away and looked up the road. "I don't know," he muttered. He felt a nudge at his side, and he sighed. "I'm sorry, but I really don't want to think about it right now. Whoever she was, she's a burden to both of us right now, and neither of us can afford to lose this job, so we should focus on what's important."

Loam spat, "Well, she was important to somepony. I bet she had a husband or a coltfriend or something, too."

Ace rolled his eyes. "What's gotten into you tonight? You're usually right there with me when somepony's slacking. What's up?"

"Just… the bones look so young." Even in the darkness, he could see a fire in her eyes that made her seem larger than life. "Ace, you know I try not to get too morose, even though it kinda comes with the territory, but she probably died suddenly. Her loved ones must have been devastated."

Ace straightened his shoulders and looked forward. "Don't think about it. We're almost to the cemetery, right?"

"Yeah…"

Their hooves clicked against the stone road. Ace tried to focus on the sweet smell of flowers and the cool air that brushed against his fur and carried the hot day away. He turned his ears to the owls hooting in the distance, but something tingled in the back of his mind.

He could almost feel the nameless pony in that box, lying in a heap. It reminded him of a friend on the verge of tears, how sitting in their presence gave a pony simultaneous feelings of pain and love mixed together. His heart felt heavy all of a sudden. It reminded him of…

Ace felt a hoof at his side.

"We're here," Loam calmly said. "There's a spot by that big tree over there. The roots might be a little annoying, but they won't miss the space. She'll be safe there."

Blinking his eyes a few times, Ace looked out across the large field of upended stones. Mist curled hauntingly around the grave markers, and a large tree stuck out of an otherwise flat patch of earth. The moon was out in full, lending the scene a calming blue glow.

Ace took a step into the graveyard, the wheels of the cart creaking behind him. "It's as good a place as any. Do you have a shovel?"

He thought her heard her whisper, "Psh, amateur."

He definitely heard her say, "Sure. Get her set up, and I'll get some things from the shed."

They split apart, and Ace trotted to the base of the large oak tree, where he unhitched the cart and waited for Loam to return.

After several minutes, she hadn't come back. Ace peeked around the tree, but he didn't see any movement. 'Probably for the best,' he thought. 'I'm jumpy enough as it is.'

He tried to keep himself occupied, but his eyes kept wandering to the cart. The heaviness in his chest came back, and he rapidly tapped a hoof against the root of the tree. His voice felt like it was collecting in his throat. He hummed a slow song to try an ease the tension, but it didn't help, and he stared again at the box.

"You're causing a lot of trouble, you know," he said, half-heartedly. "I… suppose you aren't really to blame for that, though."

He looked down at the dirt, then back up to the box. His brain tingled again, and for a moment, he considered that it was rude to talk through a tarp. Before he knew what he was doing, he had removed the saddlebags and the tarp from the cart, leaving only the broken box.

Ace's mouth opened again. "Did… I know you can't hear me, but did you have a special somepony? Of course you did, right?"

The box didn't answer.

"I… hope you two weren't fighting when it happened." It felt like he'd swallowed a rock. "And I hope he made time for you. I mean, he was probably busy a lot, right? There are always important things to do and… ugh, fine. Here."

Ace reached over and easily removed the lid. A musty smell permeated the air, and he saw that the bones had settled on the near side of the box. The skull sat on top of the pile, and its eye sockets felt like they were looking right at him.

"Is that better? Take a deep breath. You might… not know when it's your last."

Ace felt the pang of guilt in his chest, and he sighed. "Aw, dammit."

He sat, and his gaze fell to the ground. "Look, the hospital is important. Very important. The sooner we can get the new wing built, the sooner it can start helping ponies." He looked up at the skull. "And Nocturne knows how big this could be for me. The proposal was a huge risk, but it might just pay off. She'll understand. It's better this way… right?"

The skull remained still.

Ace hung his head again. "I'm sorry. I really am. She's important, too, but it's so easy to get all…" He made a twirling motion with his forehooves. "…wrapped up in everything that's happening, and I'm… I'm sorry that I'm not doing better for her. I hope your stallion was better to you."

A small, familiar voice spoke up. "Heh. I thought I was the only one that did that. Guess we're both crazy."

Ace smiled and turned towards Loam. "Nah, you're not–" He noticed the extra piece of equipment she was carrying. "W-why do you have an axe?"

Loam narrowed her eyes and glowered at the tree. Her voice got low and raspy. "Because I have seen the true face of evil. It is gnarly and wooden, and it must be destroyed."

Ace's eyes went wide, and his pupils dilated. Rather than further question the axe-wielding pony that spent all her time in a graveyard, he decided to steer the conversation towards something productive. He squeaked, "Let's get this over with."

The two of them worked quickly, their sweat mixing with the dirt. Ace dug with a shovel and Loam with her hooves. Despite working his fastest, Ace noticed that by the time they were finished, Loam had done three times as much work and still found time to cackle as she hacked apart a cluster of tree roots.

Ace tossed the shovel out of the freshly-dug grave. He whistled as he looked around the sides of the hole – perfectly square, just like always – and said, "Still can't believe you can make something so structurally sound out of dirt. It can't be easy."

Mentally, he added, 'Especially for such a small pony,' but he'd learned long ago how much those words stung his friend, and he held his tongue.

Loam climbed out of the grave and resealed the box. She pushed it over to the edge, where Ace grabbed it. With some awkward movement, he nestled it into the fresh hole and climb out without any damage. Then, with a strategic push a dirt pile and a few extra hooffuls, the hole was filled.

The small brown mare and the large grey stallion sat down next to the new grave in silence for several minutes. The only sounds were the soft wind and the call of the night birds. The silence stretched on for many long minutes.

Loam was the first to speak up, though her eyes stayed glued to the grave. "We should get her a headstone."

Ace sighed. "Agreed. I'll take care of it."

"You sure?"

"Yes. I'll bring some bits tomorrow. Flowers, too, I think. Can you think of something pretty to carve onto it?"

She nodded. "No problem."

"And…" He turned back to Loam. "I know I said I'd help with the graves tonight, but I need to give Nocturne a big hug and let her know I love her." Quietly, he added, "While she's still here."

"Ha!" Loam's head whipped towards Ace. "You're just figuring that out now? Sweet Luna, I thought you had to be smart to be an architect."

Ace grinned and playfully cuffed Loam's shoulder. "Yeah, well, I got there, didn't I?"

Loam nodded and smiled. "Yeah." She stood up and stretched her back. "I'm gonna dig one or two more before bed, but I'll walk you out. And don't worry about the cart. I'll bring it back tomorrow."

"Thanks, Loam."

"You, too, hoof-for-brains. Let's go."

Ace put on his saddlebag, and as they walked back toward the cemetery entrance, he stole one more glance at the new grave. For just a moment, he could swear he saw a white, translucent mare smiling warmly at him, but perhaps it was just the mist.