• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 1,104 Views, 450 Comments

OC SlamJam - Round Two - OC Slamjam



A compilation of all entries received from Round Two of the OC Slamjam, where authors invented OCs and were paired up into brackets to write a story about their opponent's OC and their own!

  • ...
1
 450
 1,104

Vanilla Skies vs. Hazel Luck - Winner: Vanilla Skies (by Default)

Vanilla Skies x Hazel Luck - by Vanilla Skies' Author

“Miss Skies?”

The door to her small office opened. Well, office: it was more of a glorified broomcloset. And here, in this glorified, stuffy broomcloset it was where she did all her paperwork, on the small clouddesk littered with paper. The paper Vanilla was holding in her hoof, the proposal for a new schedule, was put down on the desk.

“Yes?” she said, looking up in the eyes of the intruding pegasus. The brown stallion smiled awkwardly before he continued.

“Uh, there’s somepony asking around for a job. Figured I’d knock on your door.”

Vanilla Skies nodded. Her soft yellow mane with brighter yellow streaks, bobbed short, danced around her cheeks. “Sure.” She picked up the roster again and a pencil to take some notes. “Bring her in.”

The pegasus stallion nervously scratched behind his ear. “Uhm… I… can’t. She’s, well, kindof… a unicorn.”

Vanilla Skies looked up, surprised, and put down everything she had in her hooves entirely. She frowned, confused. “What? Why would a unicorn apply for a job in the weather?”

He shrugged helplessly. “I don’t know, I tried to tell her but she said she was promised a job here, so she wouldn’t go away!”

Vanilla lifted an orange hoof to her forehead and face-hoofed. “Ugh… I’ll go to her, then. Better set things straight before they go out of hoof.”

She put the rest of the papers away in their rightful places and walked past the messenger out of the door. He followed her towards the edge of the cloud Vanilla’s office was build on. Together, they spread their wings and glided down, he pointing the way towards the unicorn. With a soft thud, they landed on the ever-busy Manehattan streets below.

In front of the two pegasi was a dark-orange unicorn mare, with honey-colored mane and tail, cut short, and bright green eyes that confidently looked towards the two. She nodded and took a step forward.
“Hello,” she said to Vanilla, “My name is Hazel Luck.”

She turned to the brown stallion. “Uh,” she said, hopeful, “do I have the job?”

The brown stallion gulped and looked towards the mare standing next to him. She looked back at him and nodded, dismissing him. With a last apologetic glance in Hazel’s direction, he turned around and flew back. Vanilla looked towards the unicorn mare and sighed.

“Listen, Hazel, was it?” The unicorn nodded. “Right. My name is Vanilla Skies, and I’m currently in charge of monitoring the shifts, so to say. I make the schedules and make sure everypony’s in on time.”

Hazel Luck nodded. “Okay.”

Vanilla looked her in te eye. “Ponies in my shifts need to kick or collect clouds, make it rain, hail or snow, and encourage the wind to blow in certain speeds and directions according to the weather schedule. Sometimes even make it storm, and conjure up twisters and hurricanes.”

Hazel Luck blinked. “Okay.”

“Can you do that?” Vanilla asked, seemingly calm.

“Uh…” Hazel frowned. “No, but - “

Vanilla cut her off. “Then what - or who - made you think you you could get a job in the weather department?”

Hazel took a deep breath. “Well, there was this mare I met in a bar, and she was a pegasus, and she’s really nice - though she was kindof giggly and I didn’t like that, but I thought she was pretty good at telling stuff and she knew a lot and I needed a job so I asked her about that, and she told me about her job, and then I said I was looking around for a job, and then she turned around and laughed with her friends and…”


Vanilla waved with her hoof. “Breathe, Hazel, breathe.”

Hazel Luck stopped for a bit and took a deep breath in, and breathed out again. Then, Vanilla motioned for her to continue.

“So, anyway, she turned around and said to me, ‘so you’re looking for a job?’ and I said ‘yes’. Then, she asked me why I wouldn’t take a job in the weather department as well. I was a bit confused at first, after all, how can unicorns work on clouds?”

Vanilla nodded. “I’m curious as well. What did she say?”

“Well, she then started to tell me about special spells, one that would enable non-pegasi-ponies to fly. According to her, it wasn’t a cloud-walking-spell, and nor was it a wing-making-spell; it was a spell that would enable ponies to just, float and fly.”

Vanilla frowned. “I’d never heard of that before.”

Hazel shrugged. “Me neither. But she started to tell me this story about a unicorn - I believe it was Mage Meadowbrook - who had enchanted an item that, whoever carries the item, would be able to fly. Only the most noble of pegasi knew of the item.”

Vanilla lifted her eyebrow, sceptically. “Let me guess. She was one of the nobles?”

Hazel opened her mouth, closed it and frowned. “...yes.” she said, softly.

Vanilla sighed and shook her head. “Hazel… you shouldn’t believe everything you hear, okay?” she said, a bit softly, and Hazel looked down at her hooves. “You should think for yourself, listen to your common sense.”

Hazel nodded, still looking down.
“Now, I hope you can understand that it’s physically impossible to give you the job, seeing that you aren’t a pegasus.” Vanilla continued. Hazel nodded again, her ears drooping.

“But…”

Hazel looked up.

“If you really, really need a job, you could always walk past the administrative section.” Vanilla said, with a slight smile. “That is here, on the ground, I think over there…” She pointed towards the north, where a lot of tall office buildings were situated. “Even though a part of the administration is situated in the clouds, a lot of paperwork is handled over there. They always need more ponies. Just tell them I send you and you’ll have a job.”

Hazel grinned happily. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” she said, and she sped off to the prospect of a new job.
“Thank you! See ya later!” she said, and she disappeared past the corner.

Vanilla chuckled, spread her wings and took off towards her job, back to the paperwork that awaited her.

~

The nameless brown pegasus hovered in the air for a moment, before taking off. A single note was in his hoof.

The secret was discovered.