• Published 12th Jun 2015
  • 1,112 Views, 450 Comments

OC SlamJam - Round Two - OC Slamjam



A compilation of all entries received from Round Two of the OC Slamjam, where authors invented OCs and were paired up into brackets to write a story about their opponent's OC and their own!

  • ...
1
 450
 1,112

Minié Ball vs. Haystacks - Winner: Haystacks (by Default)

Pecans, Passions, and Propriety - by Minié Ball's Author

The filly sat, in her frilly dress, next to the elder pecan tree. She idly poked at the storybook her father had left her before walking the grounds with the steadcropper. She could barely make out the pair as they strolled through fields of sorghum and wheat. They were no doubt discussing crop yields and rent payments and all sorts of important, necessary, utterly dull business that adults were wont to do. She snorted, but demurely.

She flumped down onto her back and kicked her hooves into the air. Her eyes closed as she imagined what her parent’s friends would say. Some would say she was acting like a petulant child, but Minié Ball was the very image of sleek sophistication and her hooves were kicking with all the grace of a ballet dancer.

“Howdy.”

Minié snapped into a most ladylike sitting position with commendable speed, the purest expression of young fillyhood if one ignored the stray blades of grass hanging from her mane. She gave the sandy maned colt who had approached her a cold, even glare. He returned it with an easy smile.

“Excuse me?” Minié asked, tone frosty.

The colt tipped his oversized hat, unperturbed by her cold demeanor. “Begging your pardon, miss. Mama always said that I should be neighborly with everyone who comes on the farmstead, so I reckoned I ought to greet you.” He gestured back toward the farmer’s house with a flick of his head. “If you’re so inclined, we got sweet tea and pecan pie laid out on the veranda.”

Minié gave a haughty laugh, hoof hiding her her mouth. As a lady should—as a lady must. “I think you will find, sirrah, that I have neither the time nor the inclination to participate in your little tea party. I am a lady.”

The colt laughed at that, a rough sort at odds with his innocent face. “Well, if you do find yourself so inclined, you’re welcome to it.” He gave her a sloppy bow, if it could be called that. Minié was the gracious sort and accepted it with a cursory nod as he laughed and turned away. She looked away with a derisive sniff as she listened to his whistling departure.

She pawed through her storybook. She sat straight and true, ignoring the paltry temptations of iced sweet tea and moist, freshly baked pecan pie.

Yes.

Ignoring.

Sweet, delicious pie. Cold, refreshing tea.

She clutched her book to her chest with a wing as she made her way down the hill.


Haystacks looked up as a figure stood on his veranda, silhouetted against the setting summer sun. He smiled as he took in the scent of peaches and magnolias. He knew that scent well.

“Minié.” His voice was soft, loving. He swept her up into his arms, holding her close against her chest. She stiffened at first, before collapsing into his grasp. They stood in the orange sunlight tightly embraced.

With a sigh, Haystacks released the mare and motioned her to take a seat before taking his own. “You talked to your pa about…?” He trailed off, the expression on her face answering him.

“He—” Her voice hitched for a moment, before continuing on with the determination of a doctor delivering a death sentence. “He said that no daughter of his is going to marry any lowdown sharecropper that don’t even have an acre of land to his name.” She collapsed in on herself, cradling her head in her hooves. “I just—I just don’t know what to do anymore, Hay. I can’t go against him, he’s my father!”

He got up from his and pulled her once more into his arms. “I know, I know. I understand. I ain’t asking you to go against your kin.”

“Haystacks, you know I love you, right?” She sounded so nervous, so unsure. Entirely unlike the steel shod mare he’d fallen for.

“Course.”

“Will you stand by me, then? As long as it takes?”

Haystack’s smiled at that. “Course.”

She turned her face up, and they shared a kiss.

In that timeless moment, lips pushed together, framed against an orange sun over verdant fields, Haystacks knew they’d be together forever, family be damned.

He pulled her into the house, and she followed.


“Of course, I could never marry him, Jubilee, think of the scandal!” Minié looked at herself in the mirror. Her makeup was subtle, her coat without flaw and her mane fell in ringlets about her just so. Truly, she was perfection made manifest. She gave herself a wink. She’d earned it.
Grouse Jubilee seemed largely unimpressed. “What do you mean you’ll never marry him?” She tilted her head, eyebrow raised. “You’ve been stepping out with your young gentleman caller for nigh on ten years now, since you were nothing but a filly.”

Minié shook her head with kindhearted disbelief. Her dearest friend Jubilee was to be forgiven for her strange notions of marrying outside of one’s standing in life. She had been raised partially in far off Manehattan where things were more, say, cosmopolitan than in the gentrified southern Equestrian counties.

“Jubilee,” she began, “Do you want me to slave away in poverty and labor for the rest of my life? I could never marry a stallion that doesn’t own a lick of property nor employ a single stripe or ass. It just isn’t done ‘round these parts.”

Jubilee had her back to Minié, eyes carefully fixed at some point far in the distance. “You have no intention of marrying him?” Minié made some small noise of consent and Jubilee rounded on her, hoof pointed in accusation. “Why would you treat him so cruelly, after all you’ve been through? Why would you play with his affection?”

Minié stopped fussing with her hair, face immobile and the eyes of her reflection staring, boring, into her own. “Because I love him,” she said, oh so quietly. “Because I love him with everything I am, and I could never let him go.”

Jubilee never heard those words, whispered as they were. When Minié looked at her window in the mirror and spied that familiar hat, no longer oversized on his sandy brow, galloping away, she knew that he hadn’t heard them either.

She ran out of the room with a despairing cry, as Jubilee stood in confusion, still clutching the lady’s dress.


Haystacks sat underneath that old pecan tree, folded in on himself. He had never been a crying sort. Not even when his mother had—not even then. But right then, with the sun gone from the sky and his heart breaking in his chest? He felt like weeping.

His spine stiffened as he heard her tromping through the thick bushes, calling out his name. She stumbled out of the undergrowth, her mane drawn ragged by clutching branches, coat sullied by mud and sweat. Her eyes were desperate, full of tears.

He couldn’t bear the sight of her, she was so beautiful.

“What is it?” His voice was husky with unshed tears, quivering with barely contained anger. “What do you want?”
“Hay, please, it’s not what you think—”She began, but he spoke over her mewling protestations.

“Not what I think?” His voice rose with every word. “What should I think then? That you love me? That you ever truly loved me like I loved you? That you even could hold in that spoilt, rich girl heart of yours?” He shook his head, breathing heavily as tried to contain himself. “I just—I can’t do this, Minié. I thought, I thought I could be strong for you. That even if we couldn’t be married, that we could still be together, that I could be satisfied with that.”

His whole body seemed to sag inward as he uttered the words, finally making real the idea that had broken his spirit. “I can’t do it anymore. I can’t.”

“Hay—”

“No, Minié. Just. Just no. It’s done. It’s over, between us. All I’ve been to you is the dumb farmcolt, always chasing after your heart.” His shoulders squared, braced against the tumult of emotion that threatened to boil forth as he turned away from her. “I wonder. Did you ever really love me? Or were you just in it for the storybook romance? The dumb farmer and the cruel debutante?”

He walked down that lonely hilltop. “Hay, Hay please—” He ignored her pleading cries. “Hay, don’t, don’t do this to me, Hay, please, I love you, I love you—” He paid no attention to her tears as he walked away.

He paid no attention to the pain in his chest.

He left her weeping, alone, under that old pecan tree.


“Miss Ball?”

Minié’s eyes snapped open, jolted out of her empty reverie by the concerned tones of Jabalaa, one of the house zebras that had served her family for generations. The young zebra’s eyes welled with concern as she scanned her mistress’s face for the source of her distress.

Minié cleared her throat, giving the zebra a hollow smile. “I’m fine, Jabalaa, thank you.”

Jabalaa gave Minié a steady look before eventually giving a smile of her own. “That’s good, miss, that’s just fine.”

They sat in a companionable silence as the zebra set out a new glass of sweet tea and slice of pecan pie. Her ear flicked as she picked up the sound of church bells from the township not far from the manor front. “That must be the wedding wrapping up,” Jabalaa said, enthusiastically as Minié remained silent. “Young Mister Haystacks and Miss Jubilee, if you can believe that. A storybook affair. They’re friends of yours, ain’t they, miss?”

Minié nodded, slowly. “Yes, Jabalaa.”

“It’s good to see young hearts finding love, miss, if you don’t mind me saying so.” Jabalaa paused, looking over the spread she had prepared and giving a satisfied nod. She looked to the miss one last time. “If there’s nothing else, miss?”

Minié shook her head. “That will be all, Jabalaa, thank you.”

The zebra inclined her head as she headed back into the manor, leaving the mare upon the veranda.

Minié listened to the sound of church bells in personal silence before taking a bite of her slice of pecan pie. She chewed thoughtfully before swallowing and downing it with a sip of sweet tea.

How strange. They tasted like ash.




Haystacks vs. Minié Ball - by Haystacks' Author

The sharp quilltip pricked against her tongue, and she sucked it thoughtfully. Not that there was a great deal to be thoughtful about. Her reasoning for the offer was simple. If he took it, he took it, and if not, well ― then it was no skin off her muzzle. Green River Farm was a mere hundred and fifty acres, and not ones she needed, either.

Her eyes paced back and forth over the cheque. Green River fell within that luxurious category of something she desired, and she was willing to spend as much to show it. A pittance, but enough to satisfy him, of that she was sure.

The knock at the door came twice, paced and gentle.

"Miz Ball?" hummed a bassy voice, muffled by two inches of polished oak.

"Yes, Cotton?" she called back.

"Mister Hay is here, askin' for a moment of yo' time."

So he'd come, then. She'd seriously wondered whether or not he would. Perhaps Hay Bale had finally acknowledged his age.

She removed the quilltip from her mouth and began to sign the small rectangular slip, not bothering to look up at the door. Preparedness was vital, if nothing else. She applied her most winning smile, and carried the same energy through to her voice.

"But of course!" she spoke, folding the small slip away into one of her sleeves. "Do show him in!"

The door opened with a gentle sigh, and Cotton entered. The zebra's beckoning murmur to the visitor was barely audible over the tapping of hooves on polished oak.

She'd thought gloating was beyond her. All the same, she allowed her nose a slight crinkle of smug satisfaction.

"So, you got my letter, did you?" she said, resting her head lazily in one hoof.

The stallion that followed behind Cotton was not Hay Bale at all. He looked up as he entered, somewhat confused at being hailed.

Oh. She sat upright. Uncertainty flashed across her mind as she took stock of the newcomer, a tall and solidly built earth pony with eyes like glassy azure plates. Or at least, such was the surprise on his face.

She hid her own adeptly. The stallion was a far cry from the half withered fool she had been expecting, though he bore a strangely familiar face. Among other more pleasing features.

"Oh, forgive my manners!" she uttered, standing quickly. "I was anticipating Hay Bale."

The perplexed expression on the earth pony's face slowly gave way to a smile. "Oh, I see," he said, before bowing his head politely. "I'm his son, Haystacks. I own the farm now."

The words poured over her ears like scotch on cubes of ice, melodious and pleasing. It took a second for the homespun accent and wheat-gold fur to click with her memory, but not too long. After all, Minié Ball could scarcely forget him, standing at his father’s knee, all stony faced like the big ponies were during their little 'business chats'.

Like so many colts her age, he had borne that flimsy, lanky appearance that said he was not quite a stallion or a colt at all. And even then, he had been the cause of an unusual fixation on her part.

Things had clearly changed in the last six years. A tiny ripple of predatory delight slunk its way down her spine as she drank him in.

"Charmed, Haystacks.” her smile was a little less feigned than she had intended. “...I believe we've met before?"

The stallion removed his hat, and held it to his chest with one hoof. Behind him, the zebra quietly departed.

"We have, Miss Ball," he replied, flashing her a quick grin. "But we’ve both done a bit of growing, I think! I hardly recognise you."

He was right. He had grown since she'd last seen him. And for the better, she thought. Usually, she was more discerning about such ponderings ― but there was no crime in a few guilty pleasures every now and again. After all, there had always been something about the Mason-Dixie stableponies that had struck her as particularly robust. Perhaps, she mused, she just had a weakness for blondes, even if they were of a less exquisite lineage.

Idly, she entertained the fantasy of a pure blooded earth pony suitor. That wasn’t too out of the question, was it? He was a landowner, after all.

She laughed, and fluttered her eyes shamelessly. "Oh my," she purred, offering him a hoof to kiss. "Miss Ball?" A gentle burble of laughter escaped her lips. "Well that won't do at all, Hay. You simply must call me Minié."

He smiled, took her hoof in his own, and... shook it firmly.

"Good to see you again, then, Minié.” He smiled, still oblivious, and took a seat on the far side of the desk.

Ah. Well then. Some hopefully meandering part of her mind fell a short way back to earth. Truthfully, she didn't really know what she'd been expecting out of a simple farmpony. Her thoughts returned to the task at hoof.

Her desk was large and rectangular, and she slipped around it to the side that Haystacks was on.

“I take it that Hay Bale has retired?” she said, smoothing the many ruffles of her dress before taking the second seat.

The farmpony’s reply was simple. “Yes, that’s right. He left the farm to me, though I still ask for his opinion from time to time.”

“A shame," she lied, not missing a beat. "...And does he know of your plans to sell up?”

There was a pregnant pause. Haystack’s hoof found its way up his chest, where it scratched nervously underneath his chin.

“Well… I haven't spoken to him about it, if that’s what you mean.”

And that was all she needed to hear.

Before her Green River counterpart could even think to offer anything further, her hooves clattered together twice, a pair of castanets in the dance of trade.

“Cotton! Drinks for my guest and I, if you please!”

The chance to be the only pony whispering things in Haystacks’ ear was highly appealing in many respects. The sudden reality that Hay Bale was no longer in the picture was just one of them.

Without hesitation, she tapped into old history.

There was always something wonderfully meaningful about old business acquaintances, she observed, halfway through discussing her father’s untimely demise. Haystacks seemed more gripped by her and her words than any immediate business deal, in that good natured, benign way that all farmfolk were. For all he seemed to care or notice, the visit might have been a social one.

At some stage in recanting the year that had been, drinks were poured by a spectral Cotton, who floated in and around the room with practiced quietness, a silver platter between his teeth. Her guest watched him come and go, even offering a cursory ‘thank you’.

Much to her pleasure, Cotton knew better than to reply with anything other then ‘Yessir.’

The bourbon was silky and rich ― three years aged, with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon. Her favourite, of course. Just one mouthful left her licking the inside of her muzzle. It scorched all the way down.

The glass left her lips, and she felt herself smile. She glanced up at the stallion, whose near silence she had been thoroughly enjoying. She noticed he was still gazing at the zebra as he left through the door.

"...But Haystacks, I must confess, this all a bit nostalgic of me. Forgive me for pushing to the point, but I don't want to waste your time. I assume you're here because you wished to hear my offer."

The stallion paused, bringing his attention to bear on her. "Yes," he uttered. "I'm the owner now, so it's up to me, but..." his voice trailed off.

"But it's a big move to sell the farm, undoubtedly."

He pursed his lips together, his gaze fallen on the broad brimmed hat in his lap. He said nothing.

Minié leaned towards him, placing her hooves together. The stallion looked up, breaking from his thoughtful reverie.

"Haystacks," she softly spoke. "Let me be sincere, for a moment. We're quite alike, aren't we?" The rather generous admission rolled off her tongue. "We're both the executors of substantial parcels of land, we both had fathers of substantial character. We both know what it means to work hard; I'd be lying to your face if I said otherwise!" She allowed herself the tiniest of titters. "I understand your concerns. I'm like you, you see. I know I'd have reservations if someone wanted to buy Mason-Dixie. But you can rest assured knowing that it would go into good hooves."

The small paper slip tucked up her sleeve itched and poked at her fur. She decided, in the end, that there was little point in cajoling him any further.

"I'm making this offer on the notion that our families go back a little way." She smiled, slipping a hoof up past her cuff and producing the paper slip. It was remarkable how often she could use that excuse. "And besides," she added, turning her attention to her drink as he plucked the cheque from her hooves. "I think it might present an attractive proposition to a young, enterprising stallion such as yourself. Perhaps you'd consider the opportunity to do something else? Perhaps consider a move on up to the city?"

Another delicious buzz of pleasure found its roots in the sudden and complete silence that filled the room, as if somepony had suddenly ceased to breathe. She swirled the glass a few times, enjoying the smell of bourbon. Enjoying the moment.

She glanced up at him once she'd had her fill of it.

The farmpony stared down at the thing, cradling it in his hooves. Seven digits in length, it was more money than he would have seen or held in his life. She knew he was too young to have ever seen real money before. And, well ― she would be quite honest with herself ― it was unlikely that he would ever see it again. Not with his family.

"This?" he all but whispered. She could hear the shaking in his voice, see it in those pallid blue eyes that kept reading over that figure again and again and again.

She smiled, inwardly and outwardly, and nodded. A lock of dark mane slipped over her eyes, and she replaced it behind her ears idly.

They always had second thoughts after the money came out. Hay Bale had been no different, though his answer had ultimately been something along the lines of ‘not on his life’.

The seconds ticked by harmlessly. She gave him the precious moments he wanted.

He raised his head. The stallion was clearly shaken, and thinking hard about something.

“Minié, the offer is…” he paused again to search for words. “More than enough.”

And there it was. The subtle satisfaction of another pony won washed over her. She took another sip of the delightfully heady bourbon, savouring the moment.

"But I must ask...” he hesitated slightly. “...What do you pay them?"

She blinked, and coughed slightly. A bit of her drink had missed the mark. With one hoof held before her mouth daintily, she lowered her glass back onto the side table.

"I'm ― ahem ― I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're referring to."

For a moment, only the grandfather clock against the far wall broke the contemplative silence of the office.

"The donkeys," Haystacks continued. "The ones I saw in the fields on the way here. How much do you pay them?"

His voice was even, and his expression impassive, but there was a dead weight that hung on the end of his demand, like a zebra on a noose―a careful absence of anything even resembling a question.

It was only then that she noticed that his glass of bourbon was untouched.

Slowly, she placed her hooftips together. She did not smile.

"They are paid well," she replied. "Enough to support themselves. Less than the minimum wage, but we also give them a place to stay and live and eat. It is better than what they are paid in the Burros, Mr. Hay. I can tell you that much."

The answer seemed to mollify him, though she was sure it was not the one he wanted to hear.

"And the mules I saw? Are they taken care of?" he asked.

"Half-castes, you mean?" she replied idly.

The farmer paused, and then nodded once more.

Minié's pout and furrowed brow was genuine, for once. She had never really lent a thought to the animal instincts that sometimes lent a regular pony to cross paths ― and tails, for that matter ― with a Burro. She dropped a hoof to her drink again.

"Well," she murmured, her hooftip circling the crystal tumbler's rim. "To be honest, I am not sure yet. Our decision to house Burros is only a recent one. I suppose, in time, they will join hooves with their parents in the fields." She sniffed, and wrinkled her nose slightly. "There are half-caste foals born here, and they are a wholly unpleasant matter, Mr. Haystacks. Reprehensible breeding, one might say. We treat them as fairly as we treat their parents, though we often dismiss the pony responsible. We do not need workers that cannot keep their thoughts away from..." she paused. "Their beasts of burden, if you'll forgive my wording."

He nodded again to show his understanding, the cheque still clasped between his hooves. As she had been speaking, his gaze had fallen to a spot on the floor between them, where it searched for some greater answer.

"Of course," He murmured, not really looking at anything. "That's fine."

Minié was no stranger to the sensation that something was awry. She had been hoping that Haystacks would be more malleable than his father, and so far that had proven true. After all, the golden farmpony did not seem overtly bothered by anything she had said. Not like Hay Bale had.

Perhaps pushing the envelope was the way forward.

"So," she said, resisting the urge to retrieve her glass for a toast. That would be a bit too much. "Do we have a deal?"

Had his ear not twitched slightly, she would have been sure that he didn't hear her. He glanced up at her, his smile present, but muted. There was a dreadful absence of the joviality that had accompanied him through the door.

And it would be at least another one of the same, all encompassing moments of silence before he responded.

"Well, I think I've made up my mind," he replied. With a gentle purpose, he drew his hooves together, folding the little slip of paper in half. He ran one hoof across the spine of the fold a few times, as if sealing it shut, before placing it next to his untouched glass, all the while still bearing that almost laughably empty smile.

"I'm afraid this land is not for sale right now," he said. There was a certain degree of finality to his voice, one given all the more presence by his making to stand. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some business in town."

Minié's mind raced. Years of her father's business acumen had lent her a certain adeptness with salvaging the losing scenario, and this one was rapidly slipping through her hooves.

She quickly drew back her frown, giving way to homely smile that had seemed to resonate with him before, and slid a hoof across the gap between them, placing it gently on his. It did not seem to have the desired effect ― at the merest touch, she felt him tense up.

"Haystacks," she began, her voice sweet once more. "If I may explain further―"

A very large hoof settled over hers, and she fell silent. She felt a slight pressure against it ― the gentlest of squeezes, and nothing more.

She let go.

When he spoke, she heard only a gentle voice. There was not a thing about him that resonated indignity or outrage. He even had the audacity to offer her a tiny smile from that haggard, common face, as if all was well, as if she might have better luck next time. But she recognised the distant look his eyes, one that offered no warmth, yet spread no farther than two pale blue irises for the sake of plausible deniability.

"No, Miss Ball." His voice was barely audible above the deafening silence. "I'm very sorry. But you may not."


The halls of the hospital were graced by the familiar aroma of iodine and disinfectant. He had trodden them so many times that he could guide himself around by pure repetition, allowing his limbs to do all the work. He nodded to the one or two of the orderlies that he recognised, though their smiles felt distant and spectral.

He found her room empty, barring the occupant of the bed against the wall. The hinny looked up as he entered, and after a moment of recognition, her face lit up like dawn across the valley.

"Hello, love. How are you?"

Haystacks nodded and gave a noncommittal grunt. Still fueled and swept onwards by a mad wind, he trotted slowly to the hospital bed's side, and took a seat, his head bowed. As was his default, he removed his hat, and laid it on the pristine white bedsheets, the partly drawn blinds throwing playful lashes of shadow across it.

"Your father's down the street, buying some fresh bread from the bakery."

A pause heralded a moment of uncertainty. He did not notice it until the soft clicking of knitting needles stopped, giving him cause to glance up.

She peered back at him through half-moon glasses. Her eyes and face were worn with lines, a mix of love and weariness, though her smile was still bright and full of life.

"You look tired, dear," she murmured. "Are you sleeping well?"

"Such reprehensible breeding," a coquettish mare's voice said, in the far off reaches of his mind. An equally attractive figure kept repeating itself over and over to him, one with seven digits. One that whispered the unknown truth that, perhaps, there was life to be had outside the farm.

The corners of her lips fell. "Haystacks?" she asked gently. "Is something wrong?"

He swallowed.

"No," he replied, smiling faintly. There was little sense in telling her, he decided. He took one of her greyed hooves between his own, and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Nothing at all, Mother."