• Published 21st May 2012
  • 4,740 Views, 410 Comments

Mantles - Ponky



Studying in Canterlot, Apple Bloom dons a mask of her youth to counter the city's rising crime.

  • ...
6
 410
 4,740

20 - The Stripes of Family

CHAPTER TWENTY
THE STRIPES OF FAMILY

Mare Do Well led the vigilantes into Town Hall.

“Are you all right?” asked Harness while he supported Synapse through the empty doorway.

Synapse nodded. “I’ve lived through… far worse than that,” he said between breaths.

“You’re sure I didn’t hurt you? Not at all?” Facetfire asked.

“We can give him a physical later,” said Mare Do Well. “Thank you, Synapse, you’ve done a great deal. Now we need to find the warlock.”

“Mare Do Well!” somepony shouted.

She spun around. The enormous main chamber of the hall was pitch black. Mare Do Well couldn’t see very far into it.

“Who’s there?” Razorwing shouted.

“All of us, ya butterknife! Don’t any of you have some kind of flashlight power?”

Mare Do Well smiled behind her mask. “Lyra,” she said under her breath. She turned to Facetfire. “Anything you can do?”

Facetfire nodded. A few sparks from her horn transformed into gently glowing flames that floated to the top of the chamber. They shone down on a large group of ponies, bound together with the same shadowy tentacles that had attacked the Wishing Well.

“Mare Do Well!” Lyra said again, smiling. “Get us out of here!”

Mare Do Well ran to them. She recognized many prominent citizens of Ponyville among the hostages, along with the pegasi she had seen captured in Lyra’s vision. She noticed Rarity tied up near the Cakes, Scootaloo and Bulk Biceps back to back, and even her own brother, Big Macintosh, cradling Fluttershy and their foals in the center. Notably missing was Applejack.

Tears sprang to Mare Do Well’s eyes before she reached the group. Despite her desire to jump into Macintosh’s embrace, she headed straight for Lyra.

“Where’s the warlock?” she asked, fiddling with the ethereal cords around Lyra’s chest and shoulders.

“I don’t know!” she said. “As soon as the door came down, the whole place went black and he disappeared.”

Mare Do Well huffed through her nostrils and tugged at the shadow rope to no avail. “He must still be around,” she said, “or these things would likely disappear. Good to see you, by the way.”

Lyra grinned and whispered, “You too, Bloom.”

“I can’t get these undone,” Mare Do Well shouted behind her. “Synapse, what can you tell me about them?”

Harness helped Synapse limp closer. He put his horn close to the darkness around Lyra. “Oh… I got it,” he said, bending a bit closer.

As soon as his horn touched the magic binding Lyra, all of it—every bit around every pony—vanished. The citizens rejoiced, rising to their hooves and embracing one another or stretching out their limbs.

“How did you do that?” asked Lyra, rubbing her shoulder.

Synapse tapped his horn with a wince. “Absorbed it. I’ll have to let it out later, but… it’s not too bad for now.”

“What does that feel like?” Lyra asked.

“Like having to pee magic,” said Synapse in a flat voice.

Lyra laughed. “I like this one,” she said, patting Mare Do Well on the back. “Good find.”

“Is everypony all right?” Spritemare asked, hovering above the crowd. “Did any of you see where the warlock went?”

“Aren’t you one of them?” asked Pound Cake. His father bonked him on the head.

Spritemare giggled. “No, I’m from Manehattan,” she said. “Not all zebras are bad.”

“We’re well aware of that,” said Rarity, “though he certainly didn’t believe us.”

Mare Do Well stepped forward. “What do you mean?”

“Well, you see, App… -proximately two hours ago,” Rarity said, offering Mare Do Well an apologetic glance, “we were chosen and herded in here like cattle when he asked who among the citizens of Ponyville had known Zecora.”

“Zecora?” repeated Spritemare.

“She was a zebra who lived in the Everfree Forest,” said Lyra. “A shaman, good with potions and helpful with lyrics.”

“Sadly, she passed away some years ago,” said Rarity, “of natural causes.”

“Or of a broken heart,” said Fluttershy softly.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “Yes, well, in any case, she certainly wasn’t murdered, as that lunatic seemed to believe.”

“He knew Zecora?” Mare Do Well asked. “How?”

“I’m not entirely sure,” said Rarity, running a hoof over her mane. “He kept asking questions about her and… well, threatening us, really. It was all in rhyme, mind you, which made some of his demands rather difficult to understand.”

“Demands?” asked Harness.

“He kept askin’ for the truth,” said Macintosh.

Mare Do Well noticed Macintosh’s eyes were locked on her, so she actively avoided his gaze. For her liking, too many ponies in the room knew her identity. Was Macintosh one of them?

“What did you tell him?” asked Harness.

“The truth,” said Rarity. “Many of us loved Zecora. We know very little about the circumstances of her death.”

“And he didn’t mention his connection to her?” Mare Do Well asked.

Before anypony could respond, a rumbling voice filled the chamber and the floating flames above their heads went out, plunging the Ponyvilleans and their would-be heroes into darkness.

Before these wicked ponies got her, Zecora was my precious daughter.”

Mare Do Well’s stomach dropped at the sound. Above their heads, in a swirling cloud of green and black, King Zimbaya appeared, lit by the glow of his staff’s strange orb. He removed his twisted mask; it melted like wet smoke in his hoof, revealing an old and angry face with a short striped beard under clear blue eyes.

(/\/\)

“I love you, Zecora,” said Apple Bloom.

Zecora’s clear blue eyes looked down in surprise. “What a lovely thing to say. Why express it on this day?”

Apple Bloom shrugged. “You’ve done so much fer me and my friends. Every time I come here yer so nice to me and I feel so welcome. I dunno, I just got the same fuzzy feelin’ I get when Granny Smith comes upstairs to say g’night, and I figured I’d letcha know.”

Zecora laughed. “Honest and tender, just like a true Apple. Being sincere is a concept you grapple.”

“Yeah, I guess yer right. Runs in the family.” Apple Bloom grinned. “Are you anythin’ like yer parents, Zecora?”

Her laughter faded, and her bright eyes suddenly dimmed. Zecora swallowed hard, as though her throat had gone dry. “My mother left this world long, long ago,” she said. “And as for my father, the answer is no.”

“Oh.” Apple Bloom slumped over. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to bring up a sore subject.”

Zecora shook her head and smiled. “Family guides us and gives us our life, but often they’re also the source of our strife. Maybe this is destined to go hoof in hoof, as we need both rain and a nice sturdy roof.”

Apple Bloom nodded. “Good point. When was the last time you saw yer family?”

Zecora chuckled and tasted the stew brewing in her cauldron. “In truth, Apple Bloom, it is hard to be sure. Perhaps twenty years, or perhaps even more.”

“Whoa! How old are you again?”

Shooting her a dirty look, Zecora said, “Many things I’ll share with you, but ask my age and I’ll say ‘shoo’!”

Apple Bloom giggled. As Zecora dipped her ladle in for another taste, little Apple Bloom scurried around the cauldron and threw her arms around Zecora’s middle.

“Oof!” said the Zebra, offering Apple Bloom a pleasantly inquisitive glance.

“Wherever you came from, I’m glad yer part of the Ponyville family now,” she said.

“Thank you, little friend. So am I,” she said, patting Apple Bloom’s mane. “And here I’ll stay until I die.”

(/\/\)

“Your daughter?” shouted Rarity. “Why didn’t you say so earlier?”

Silence, white one full of words, lest I leave you for the birds!”

Rarity shrunk, one eye twitching.

“Calm down now,” said Mare Do Well, raising a hoof to him. She stepped forward apart from the crowd. “Are you really Zecora’s father?”

Would I lie to make it be? She meant everything to me!” His voice shook the ground, and the strange fog upholding him swirled faster or slower with his tone.

“Why did she never mention you?” asked Mare Do Well.

The orb at the top of his staff grew brighter with Zimbaya’s rage. “How dare you assume the things that she said, when you never knew her before she was dead?”

Mare Do Well gestured to the trembling crowd of ponies behind her. “Many of these were Zecora’s friends,” she said. “They would have known you if she had talked about you.”

These so called friends you think are good kept my sweet daughter in the wood,” he said, “alone and shunned by ponykind with their cold hearts and tight shut minds.”

“No they didn’t! Zecora chose to live in the Everfree Forest,” Mare Do Well argued. “She had a home out there, and she was free to visit the village whenever she wanted.”

A thunderclap echoed in the chamber. “Silence these disgusting lies! She was a monster in their eyes. Because of stripes upon her fur, nopony here would speak to her.”

“That was a long time ago,” said Mare Do Well. “As soon as Twilight Sparkle moved to Ponyville, she—”

Uuuurraaaaa!” Zimbaya shouted, tossing his head back in a chilling roar. “Twilight Sparkle, worst of all! Her kingdom here will surely fall!”

Mare Do Well was reeling, more from her own confusion than from his volume. “What did Twilight ever do to Zecora? They loved each other!”

Even if Zecora thought that Twilight was her friend, it’s clear to me betrayal led to her untimely end!”

“What are you saying?” asked Rarity. “We want to understand, just please speak plainly!”

“Enough with the theatrics!” Mare Do Well shouted. “Come down here! None of us want to hurt you, we just want to know what’s going on.”

The magic swirled up and around Zimbaya, then dropped him to the floor. The lights of Town Hall relit themselves as the strange shadows and green lightning bottled itself in the staff. Head slightly lowered, Zimbaya glared at Mare Do Well and her companions from beneath a heavy brow.

“Zecora died when Twilight left,” said Zimbaya. “She must have aided in her death.” Though his voice was quieter, it carried no less malice than it had when magically amplified.

“Zecora died of natural causes.” Nurse Redheart step forward. “You seem to think she was murdered, but that’s not the case. I was there when her body was examined. She was sick.”

Zimbaya scowled. “Your testament, it seems to me, is part of the conspiracy. Zecora was hated and shunned by your town, so why all pretend to be fond of her now?”

“They’re not pretending,” said Mare Do Well. “Nopony killed Zecora, especially not Twilight. It’s terrible that she passed away, but she was loved and happy until the end.”

Zimbaya closed his eyes and waved the staff over his head. A ghostly image of Zecora appeared, lying in her cot, exhausted and almost motionless. As the enchanted Ponyvilleans and vigilantes watched, wisps of light rose out of Zecora’s head and twisted together.

“As she died, these were her thoughts. Loved and happy they are not.”

The images swirling above Zecora’s head were difficult to interpret—dreamlike. There were moments of clarity: Zecora scuffing the ground in an empty Ponyville, meditating alone in the forest, warding off timberwolves with exploding traps. Then Twilight Sparkle appeared, wingless, and nuzzled Zecora gently. Moments later, the Princess of Friendship sprouted wings and flew away as the Everfree Forest caught fire.

Zimbaya’s staff dimmed and the entire mirage vanished away. Mare Do Well noticed tears glistening in the warlock’s eyes.

“She… she may have had a fever,” said Nurse Redheart. “Minds are not at their most stable while they are… slowing down.”

His features twitching, Zimbaya thrust forward his staff. Nurse Redheart’s eyes bulged and she reached for her neck. Her chest spasmed as she tried to breathe.

“Let her go!” screamed Lyra.

Razorwing leapt for the staff with his good wing outstretched. He tried to cut off the glass ball at the end, but as soon as his blade made contact with the wood he was tossed backward with a green flash.

Mare Do Well and Spritemare both sprung at Zimbaya. He stepped back, avoiding them without breaking his spell on Nurse Redheart.

“Stop it!” Fluttershy cried out, helplessly pulling at the air around Nurse Redheart’s neck. “Please, stop it!”

Facetfire shot a wall of flame at the warlock. With a flick of his staff, Zimbaya made the fire vanish… revealing two massive stallions galloping at full speed. Big Macintosh and Harness slammed into Zimbaya, carrying him over their shoulders all the way to the front of Town Hall. They threw him out of the building, and Nurse Redheart sucked in a welcome breath of air.

Macintosh stayed inside, hurrying back to Fluttershy, but Harness chased Zimbaya into the streets.

“Go!” shouted Mare Do Well. Razorwing, Spritemare, and Facetfire flew outside single file. Mare Do Well turned to the crowd. “Stay in here and stay together. We’ll come back when it’s safe.”

Knowing Ponyvilleans, she was sure they wouldn’t listen, but she felt better for having said something.

Mare Do Well and Synapse emerged from Town Hall well behind the others. Razorwing and Spritemare were taking dives at Zimbaya, but he twirled and jabbed his staff expertly, keeping them at bay with magic and melee. Every time Harness tried to attack, a twirl or flick of the staff pushed him away. Facetfire tossed fireballs whenever she saw an opportunity, but a cloud of shadows caught them no matter where she aimed.

“Synapse, can you use the energy you absorbed from the cords back there?” Mare Do Well asked.

Synapse shook his head. “I have to be touching something with my horn to let the energy out,” he said. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s all right,” she said. “Any ideas?”

“He’s… very powerful.” Synapse shuddered. “I can feel it. That staff is ancient. It has taken uncountable lives.”

“Let’s not add ours,” said Mare Do Well. She crouched, ready to join the fray. “All we need to do is get that staff away from him, and the city will be safe.”

“How?” Synapse asked. He watched Harness slam into a wall for the fourth time in a row. The masked stallion rose undaunted and charged at Zimbaya once more.

Mare Do Well’s eyes darted from hero to frustrated hero. “I… I don’t…” she stammered.

Beyond the city, rumbling from the edge of the Everfree Forest, a tumultuous roar bellowed from the throat of some gigantic beast, shaking the sky and its meandering clouds. The battle ceased in the streets of Ponyville as every face turned to the noise, hearts pounding in their ears.

“What was that?” Synapse whispered.

A spiny shape rose above the most distant buildings. It continued to climb, higher and higher, until it stood three times as tall as any of the city’s homes. Its scales shone violet in the Sunlight, and huge green horns curled along its jawline from either side of its head. Hanging from one of those horns, like a fallen leaf stuck to the head of a lizard, was an orange mare with a big old hat and a long, blonde tail blowing in the wind.

Mare Do Well’s jaw dropped. “Applejack?” she choked. “Is that… Spike?”

The dragon tossed back his head and roared again, spreading his leathery wings as wide as they would go. The ponies and zebras took a collective step away.

“Is that Twilight’s little dragon?” Facetfire asked.

“Little?” Razorwing squeaked.

Zimbaya raised his staff and disappeared in a swirl of shadows. Mare Do Well and Synapse galloped down from the doorless entrance and joined the other heroes in the square. Several Ponyvilleans replaced them in the doorway, drawn out by the dragon’s dreadful roars.

“Spike!” said Fluttershy.

“Sweet Celestia, he grew fast…” said Harness.

Mare Do Well gave him a sideways glance. “You knew Spike?”

Harness didn’t answer, addressing Synapse instead. “Can you tell where the warlock went?”

Synapse closed his eyes. “Not precisely,” he said, “but he didn’t leave. I think he turned himself invisible. I’m not sure the staff can achieve teleportation.”

“Good to know,” said Mare Do Well. “The dragon’s on our side, everypony. Stick to the plan: find Zimbaya and take away his staff.”

“Uhhh, Mare Do Well?” Facetfire said, pointing at the dragon. “I found him.”

King Zimbaya slowly materialized on a chariot of darkness, flying straight at Spike’s angry face. He circled the staff over his head, building up some kind of energy, and shot it at Spike before the dragon could swat him down.

The blast of magic wrapped thick black cords around Spike’s snout and over his eyes. He thrashed his head around, tossing Applejack from her perch.

“Razorwing!” Mare Do Well screamed.

“On it!” Razorwing shot up as if from a slingshot and caught Applejack out of the air before she had been falling for two whole seconds.

“Spritemare, can you get Synapse up there?” Mare Do Well asked.

Before she could answer, Spike growled deep in his throat, shaking the ground and rattling leaves in trees all over the city. He pointed his face at the sky; muscles in his neck twitched and rippled under his scales.

In an instant, the shadowy cords around his face snapped and fizzled into nothing, allowing his huge jaws to drop open and scream between sharp, stony teeth.

“Holy horse hockey!” Razorwing shouted. He looked down at Applejack dangling in his hooves. “Where did you find this guy?”

Applejack grinned. “Yeeeehaw! Yer Rainbow’s little brother, ain’tcha? I can tell by the fact that you still haven’t put me down!”

Zimbaya swerved his chariot of shadows to avoid Spike’s gaping jaws. The dragon’s tall pupil’s zeroed in on the zebra king. He thrust out a claw and grabbed Zimbaya out of the air. There was a flash of light from the staff and Spike let go with a yelp, pulling the claw into his chest.

The king, falling, conjured another dark cloud to carry him away, but Spike extended a wing, lifted it high above his head, and brought it down hard on the warlock. Zimbaya took the full force of the leathery wing, toppled off his shadows, and slammed into the ground thirty feet below.

“Let’s go, let’s go!” Mare Do Well yelled to her companions. They sped to the edge of the city where Spike towered, examining his claw.

Razorwing set Applejack down near the fallen zebra king as the others arrived in a group. Applejack glanced at Mare Do Well for only a moment before turning her full attention to Spike.

“You all right, big guy?”

“I think he burned my palm,” Spike said. His voice was deep and rich, but still very familiar to Mare Do Well. “I’ve never been burned before,” he continued, frowning at his claw. “It hurts.”

“I’ve seen you take lava baths,” Applejack said. “How in tarnation could a fancy staff burn ya if molten rock don’t?”

Spike shook his head and shook out his claw, looking down at the gaggle of heroes around Zimbaya’s motionless form. “I don’t know, but get that staff away from him.”

Mare Do Well hurried forward and snatched up the staff out of Zimbaya’s hoof. She offered it to Synapse, who took it gingerly and stepped away from the others.

“Is he dead?” asked Razorwing.

Mare Do Well felt Zimbaya’s neck. “No. His heart’s beating. Probably has a few broken bones, though.”

“I’m sure that I do, and quite more than a few,” Zimbaya said. His words were muffled by the dirt in his face.

“Oh, still rhyming, I see,” said Razorwing. “Just as not-annoying as ever.”

Zimbaya tried to stand, but fell to his side and stared up at Spike with one eye. “In all my years, what that staff makes I thought impossible to break. Your strength is truly legendary, not to mention rather scary.”

Spike smirked. “Thanks. I work out.”

Zimbaya closed his eye. “Here at the end, at least I know the power of my final foe.”

“What, are you dying?” Spike asked, raising a scaly brow.

The warlock’s eye popped back open. “You’ve bested me, dragon; now take my life. I’ll soon see Zecora and my wife.”

Spike shook his head. “Not today, I’m afraid. I’m not going to kill you.”

“Spike, this is Zecora’s father,” Mare Do Well said. “He came to Ponyville to take revenge on the city he thinks murdered his daughter, and then he wants to take Twilight off her throne.”

A strange expression tightened Spike’s features; some mix between sadness, disappointment, and interest. “Hmm,” was all he said.

“I was a good friend o’ Zecora’s,” said Applejack. “I loved her like a wise teacher, or maybe some kinda spunky aunt. I’m very sorry about her passin’.” She took off her hat and held it over her chest. “I was the one that found her, truth be told. She wasn’t murdered. It must have been some kinda disease or maybe a heart attack, I reckon.”

“Yes, yes, I’ve heard this lie before,” Zimbaya spat, “and I won’t hear it anymore. If you are all so kind and good, why leave Zecora out in the wood?”

“Zecora loved the Everfree Forest,” said Mare Do Well.

“She lived there on account of her wantin’ to,” said Applejack, “not ‘cause anypony in town forced her to. After Twilight moved in and helped us get to know her, Zecora was a loved and important member o’ the community ‘til the day she died. Honest.”

Zimbaya’s eyes narrowed. Once again, he tried to stand. Spike reached down and gently scooped him into one giant claw. Zimbaya flinched and shut his eyes tightly.

“Relax. I’m not going to hurt you,” Spike said. “I want to show you where she lived.”

Spike walked slowly into the forest, allowing the ponies below to keep up with him on hoof. All together, they escorted Zimbaya to Zecora’s hut. Spike set him down near the front door, silently allowing the warlock to take it all in.

The hollowed out tree was tidy, well kept, and—though abandoned—covered with signs of life. Dozens of bouquets of colorful flowers lay all around the front door and propped in the window sills. Gently glowing bottles of potions, no doubt left by some of her Ponyvillean students, hung from the branches or lit up the alcoves in the tree’s protruding roots, casting lovely streams of light on tall, inviting masks.

Lying on his belly, Zimbaya’s eyes drifted from one beautiful display to the next. “What… what…” he said a few times, but was unable to finish a sentence, let alone make a rhyme. His eyes filled with tears.

Applejack put a hoof on his shoulder. “This is where Zecora lived,” she said. “We used to visit her all the time. And, as you can see, she’s still very much in the hearts and thoughts o’ the locals.”

Zimbaya slowly shook his head. “But… my vision showed fire and long, lonely days. Despite what I see here, a dark feeling stays.”

Mare Do Well spoke up. “I think… I think what Fluttershy said earlier might be true. I think Zecora’s heart may have broken when Twilight left Ponyville.”

Applejack sighed. “I reckon there’s truth to that. She loved Twilight like a daughter. To see her act the way she did couldn’t have been easy.”

“What exactly happened to Twilight?” Razorwing asked. “Rainbow Dash never told me.”

“And neither will I,” said Applejack, though all eyes were on her, “because honestly, I don’t know. She changed after Pinkie Pie died.” Applejack lowered her head and sighed. “We all did.”

Mare Do Well’s knees began to shake.

“Death is the one thing all creatures must share,” said Zimbaya, “and yet, for its impact we cannot prepare.”

“I’m real sorry about Zecora,” said Applejack. Her hoof was still firmly planted on the warlock’s shoulder.

Finally, as a tear dripped from his eye, Zimbaya nodded. “As am I for this violent intrusion. I should not have trusted a vague illusion.”

The vigilantes relaxed as Zimbaya broke down in tears. They looked at each other gratefully, and finally started to feel the bruises covering many of their bodies.

(/\/\)

The zebra army had gathered at the mouth of Ghastly Gorge, and King Zimbaya sent them home. He stayed, however, to learn more about Zecora’s life in Ponyville. The citizens, unsurprisingly, were quick to forgive and happy to share their stories. Through it all, however, Synapse kept a hold of his staff, and Zimbaya did not ask for its return.

While the limping, smiling warlock was shown around Ponyville, Spike and Applejack led the vigilantes back into the Everfree Forest to a once sacred place, with the promise to answer their many questions.

Deep in a cave none of the vigilantes had ever seen, the Tree of Harmony, once a stalwart symbol of Equestria’s strength, was reduced to little more than a wilting black husk. They stood before it with heavy hearts as Spike’s head loomed behind them, the only part of him that would fit in the glittering cave.

“What happened?” asked Mare Do Well, stroking her hoof along the underside of one of the tree’s shriveled branches.

“And, for those of us unfamiliar with the splendors of the greater Ponyville area, what is it?” asked Razorwing.

“This was once the Tree of Harmony, the birthplace of the six Elements of Harmony,” answered Spike. “It was here that Celestia and Luna learned to master Honesty, Loyalty, Generosity, Kindness, Laughter, and the Magic of Friendship. With these they overpowered Discord and sealed him away in stone. With these, Twilight Sparkle and her first dear friends defeated Nightmare Moon and reminded Princess Luna of her true self. With these, they were bestowed with the power to cast Lord Tirek into Tartarus and protect Equestria from all who would oppose it.”

“But ever since Pinkie Pie died,” Applejack said, “the Elements have vanished, and the Tree of Harmony is dyin’.”

“Doesn’t the Tree stop the forest from overtaking Equestria?” asked Mare Do Well.

“It does more than that, it seems,” said Spike. “The Tree is a source of goodness that affects all of ponykind. As it dies, so does Equestrian hope, and the temptations to commit crime and to abuse other ponies for power grow strong in the hearts of its citizens.”

Razorwing raised a hoof. “Uh, Mister Giant Purple Dragon, I hate to distract from your beautiful retelling of Modern Harmonic History, but who exactly are you and how do you know all of this?”

“Spike was Twilight’s assistant while she lived in Ponyville, and even before that,” said Applejack.

Spike nodded his heavy head. “Princess Twilight raised me.”

“So why aren’t you in Canterlot with her?” asked Facetfire. “That’s always where I figured you went.”

Spike’s eyes darkened.

Razorwing gaped at Facetfire. “You know him, too?”

“Well, duh. I grew up in Ponyville,” Facetfire said, flipping her mane to one side of her neck.

“Jeez, what is with this place? How many of you are from Ponyville?”

“Razorwing, please,” said Harness. “I’d like to know what drove Spike and the Princess apart.”

Spike sighed, streams of stray smoke spilling from his nostrils. “After Pinkie Pie’s death… when I learned of her intentions in the Royal Court… I could no longer support her, but I couldn’t bear to live in Equestria without her. I joined the dragons across the sea and thought my days of living among ponies were behind me.”

“But Applejack brought you back,” Mare Do Well realized aloud.

“Yes,” said Spike. “Some months ago, Applejack found me among the dragons. It must have been an arduous journey.”

Applejack shrugged. “I’ve made arduous-er. Somehow I knew we’d needja.”

“I have been living in the Everfree Forest since then, containing some of its threats myself,” said Spike. “Applejack fetched me when the zebras attacked.”

“I’m glad you’re here,” said Spritemare. “Thanks for your help.”

Spike smiled. “Of course. I must admit, though much has changed, it’s wonderful to be among ponies again.”

“Will you help us recover the Elements?” asked Mare Do Well. “Do you know where they are?”

“I don’t,” said Spike. “If anypony knows, it’s Twilight.”

Razorwing gulped.

Mare Do Well tilted back her hat to get a good look at Spike. “Then I guess we’ll need to ask the Princess of Dusk personally. Will you help us do that?”

Spike’s eyes glazed over. “No. I’m sorry, but… no. I couldn’t face Twilight.”

Harness cleared his throat. It echoed loudly in the cave. “I’d like for us all to realize we’ve had an unusually exhausting day. The Sun is setting. Let’s rest tonight and try to recover. We can make plans to find what happened to the Elements of Harmony tomorrow. For now, there are plenty of beds in Ponyville.”

“Well, not for me,” said Spike with a grin. “I’ll retreat to my own cave for the night and find you in the morning.” He looked at Mare Do Well. “And I will give thought to your request.”

“Thank you,” said Mare Do Well. “That’s all I ask.”

Spike pulled back his head, stood to his tremendous height, and lumbered deeper into the forest with earth-quaking steps.

“Think y’all can find your way back to Ponyville without me?” asked Applejack. “I’d like to stay here and have a talk with Mare Do Well. Alone.”

Razorwing saluted. “Sure thing. I’ll lead the way.”

Harness leaned to Mare Do Well and whispered, “Find me later.” They briefly made eye contact—or as close as two masked ponies can get to eye contact—before he joined the rest of them and climbed out of the Tree of Harmony’s cave into the Everfree’s thick shadows.

Applejack waited until the cave was empty and completely silent. She couldn’t look at Mare Do Well for more than a few seconds at a time.

“So… you’ve got your own little team o’ Power Ponies now, huh?” Applejack asked.

Mare Do Well could tell she was trying to be serious, but there was the barest hint of a smile in her voice.

“Oh, Applejack.” Mare Do Well let her hat slide off and pulled down her mask. “Rainbow Dash told me you were missin’ in Ponyville. I thought somethin’ terrible had happened to you. Turns out you were just fetchin’ Spike.”

“I was always good at critter herdin’,” Applejack said. “Dragon’s ain’t so different, turns out.”

Apple Bloom laughed and ran into her sister’s open forelegs. They held each other close for a long moment.

“I didn’t think you could do it, Bloom,” said Applejack. “Really, I didn’t. I thought you’d get yourself killed like poor Harper. But you’ve really made a splash. Lyra told me it ain’t been easy, neither.”

Shaking her head, Apple Bloom laughed. “No, it ain’t. Gosh, I haven’t felt so happy in ages. It’s so good to see you.”

“Do any o’ yer friends know who you are?” asked Applejack.

“Not a one,” said Applejack. “Guess my silly accents paid off.”

“Good. Better that way. Well, shoot, I’m so sorry, Apple Bloom.” Applejack sat on her haunches and smoothed down the hair on her neck. “I was so scared last time I saw you. Scared I’d lose my sister to Twilight’s madness, too.”

“It’s nearly time to face her, y’know,” said Apple Bloom. “Time to get some answers.”

“For y’all, maybe,” said Applejack. “Not me. I’m stayin’ here.”

Apple Bloom nodded. “I figured as much. Rainbow Dash didn’t want to help, either, once she realized the end goal.”

“What is the end goal, Bloom?” Applejack’s eyebrows tilted sadly. “What hope do y’all have against an alicorn?”

“Between all of us—including a dragon and zebra warlock, and I reckon they’ll both come along in the end—I think we stand a good chance.” She glanced at the wilting Tree of Harmony. “What other choice do we have? We need to find out what happened to the Elements after….” She swallowed hard.

Applejack brought a hoof to her little sister’s cheek. “It ain’t yer fault, Bloom,” she said.

Apple Bloom’s bottom lip immediately started to quiver. “Don’t say that.”

“I know what yer thinkin’. I’m yer family, and I can see it yer eyes.” Applejack pushed a lock of Apple Bloom’s matted, red hair behind her ears. “I know it seems like one thing led to another, but it ain’t yer fault that Pinkie died in the first place, and it certainly ain’t yer fault that Twilight’s rule is so… different than we mighta expected.”

Apple Bloom wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. “Sure feels like it’s my fault.”

“And maybe that’s a good thing,” said Applejack, “if it’s driving you to do all the good yer doin’. Apple Bloom, I’ve never been more proud of you.”

With watering eyes, Apple Bloom looked back into her sister’s. “Do you mean that?”

“I do.” Applejack tucked her sister into another hug. “I really do, Bloom. It’s not over yet, I know, but… I wouldn’t trust another soul on this planet to save Equestria the way I’m trustin’ you. Do it for Granny, Apple Bloom. Do it for Zecora. Do it for Pinkie Pie and Harper. But most of all, do it for all the ponies who deserve an Equestria like the one you and I grew up in, not whatever this is.”

Apple Bloom shed tears into Applejack’s coat, nodding solemnly. “I will,” she promised. “And I’ll do it for you.”

(/\/\)

“Wow, that’s a big wrench.”

Scootaloo glared at Razorwing. He was perched on the gently spinning propellor of the Wishing Well. “You talking about the one in my hoof or the one on my butt?” she asked.

Razorwing snorted. “The one you could hit me with if I don’t watch my mouth.”

Scootaloo chuckled and went back to bolting a new pedal in place. “Thanks for helping drag this thing into the shop. Where’d the big guy go?”

“I don’t know. He said something about… revisiting fond memories? Something sappy like that.”

After another burst of laughter, Scootaloo said, “You remind me a lot of Rainbow Dash.”

Razorwing rolled his eyes. “Yeah, not the first time I’ve heard that.”

Scootaloo shot him a quizzical look. “Huh?”

“Nothing.”

Mare Do Well smiled to herself from the shadows, then snuck away from Scootaloo’s workshop and muttered to herself under her breath. “Revisiting fond memories… where would you go in Ponyville, Harness?”

When the Moon rose high enough to light the streets, Mare Do Well dove to darker corners, careful not to catch the eyes of any citizen staying up to tidy what the zebras left behind. She stared at the rising Moon for a long moment. The spots on its surface blended with the spots on Harness’ coat in her mind, and for a moment she tried to remember how the Moon looked before Nightmare Moon’s return.

Nightmare Moon…

“Oh my gosh…”

She kicked up a trail of dirt on her way out of the city, past the empty main square and toward an unfrequented clearing outside of town. She slowed as she approached the seasonal statue of Nightmare Moon and the large stallion waiting at its base.

“That didn’t take long,” Harness said as Mare Do Well trotted closer. “Perhaps they should add ‘World’s Greatest Detective’ to your growing list of nicknames.”

“I… I don’t know what to say.” Mare Do Well’s eyes slid from the dark spot on his front hoof to the executioner’s mask over his face. “Pipsqueak?”

Harness grabbed the seam of the mask behind his ears and slid it off. A thick, two-tone brown mane lay over a youthful face with another large spot around one of his rich eyes. His mouth bore a tiny smile.

“Sweet Celestia,” said Mare Do Well. “I had no idea.”

“So we knew each other?” he asked. “Here, in Ponyville.”

“I knew you, yes.” Mare Do Well cleared her throat. “You’ve… grown up.”

Pipsqueak chuckled. “Though I must admit I’m curious, I’ll respect your wish to remain the Mysterious Mare Do Well. If it is, indeed, what you wish.”

“It is,” she said. “Thank you.” She took another step closer. “What happened to you?”

He bowed his head. “If you don’t mind terribly, that’s the secret I would like to keep.”

“Fair enough.”

“I lived in Ponyville but for a few years,” he said, glancing at the statue to his left. “My father took us to many cities across Equestria while I grew up. But when it came time for me to settle down, I admit I had a hard time choosing between Ponyville and Trottingham.”

“What made you pick Trottingham in the end?” asked Mare Do Well.

“I didn’t,” said Pipsqueak, smiling. “I wanted to live here. Ponyville is special, Mare Do Well. You must know that better than anypony. At least three of us have roots here, perhaps because we were lucky enough to live in the shadows of the greatest mares to ever walked its streets. No, I wanted badly to live in Ponyville, but… I was needed elsewhere.”

Mare Do Well nodded. “I never thought I’d leave Ponyville,” she said. “Especially not for Canterlot. But you’re right: we go where we are called.”

“You are a spectacular pony, Mare Do Well,” said Pipsqueak.

Mare Do Well blushed under her mask. “I… help where I can,” she said. “And, if we’re throwing around compliments, of all the vigilantes, you have impressed me the most.”

“Thank you. That means a great deal.” He rubbed the back of his neck. “I suppose we ought to get some rest before we storm the royal castle, huh?”

Mare Do Well laughed softly. “I’ve snuck in before. Shouldn’t be too hard.”

“I get the feeling sneaking in won’t be our method of choice if the dragon comes along,” said Harness. “Not to mention Razorwing.”

“Ha!” Mare Do Well tossed her head back. “We have a good team. I think we’ll make a difference.”

“I hope so.” Harness pulled his mask back on. “To be honest, I’m quite afraid.”

Mare Do Well’s brow furrowed. “Of what?”

He shrugged. “I have a bad feeling. Not bad enough to abandon you, but… Princess Sparkle is powerful and very possibly mad. I can’t imagine this will be a trot in the park. We may get hurt.”

“You’re right. Of course you’re right. It’s all happening so fast. But I don’t know why we would wait any longer. We’re together, we’re angry… we have a dragon and maybe a zebra warlock on our side. I have no idea what Princess Sparkle is doing up there in her castle, but I reckon it’s time we find out.”

“You reckon?” said Harness.

Mare Do Well cracked her neck. “That conversation with Applejack must have been longer than I thought.”

Harness chuckled. “Of course it was.”

They trotted back to Ponyville together in the light of the brilliant Moon.

(/\/\)

Apple Bloom would have loved to sleep that night in Sweet Apple Acres. Unfortunately, the farmhouse had burned to the ground in the zebra invasion. Applejack slept at Fluttershy’s, and Apple Bloom secretly spent the night at Lyra’s.

“This was Harper’s room,” Lyra said as she opened the door. “It’s the only spare bed I have. I understand if you’d rather sleep on the couch.”

“No, that’s all right,” said Apple Bloom, pulling off the last of her costume and dropping it on the floor. She fell face first into the bed. “I’ve never been so tired in my life, Lyra.”

“You’ve had quite a day. Quite a week, really.” Lyra stroked Apple Bloom’s mane. “Poor filly. Maybe we should give it a few days before you—”

Apple Bloom shifted her head on the pillow. “Twilight has answers to questions we need to know right now,” Apple Bloom said. “Who knows how long the Tree o’ Harmony’s been dyin’? I’m surprised the forest hasn’t swallowed Ponyville whole.”

Lyra bit her lip. “I think there are more magical forces at work than we might realize. But I see your point.”

“Applejack brought Spike here from across the ocean,” said Apple Bloom, then paused for a long yawn. “Eeeuuaa! Can’t imagine he’ll be a secret here for long, assumin’ he’s a secret at all. We gotta hit the castle while we have the upper hoof.”

“But… tomorrow? You really want to go tomorrow?”

“We’ll see,” said Apple Bloom, closing her eyes. “Gets my vote, anyhow.”

Lyra smiled. “Well, all right, Bloom. I get it.” She pulled a blanket over Apple Bloom’s body. “Sleep well, okay?”

“Mmm hmmm…”

What seemed like seconds later, Apple Bloom sat bolt upright with a loud gasp. “Applejack!” she screamed.

Hurried hoofsteps pounded in the house, and the door burst open. “Apple Bloom! Are you okay?” Lyra asked, her mane messy.

Apple Bloom slid a hoof over her face, shielding her eyes from the light in the window. “Golly, is it mornin’ already? Sorry, Lyra, I guess I was dreamin’.”

Lyra sighed and put a hoof over her heart. “It’s fine, I-I’m sorry. I didn’t sleep well.”

Stretching, Apple Bloom climbed out of bed and offered a bleary smile. “I sure did. Thanks for accomodatin’ me.”

Lyra’s returned smile was as wild as her mane. “My pleasure. Now get dressed and come downstairs. I have some things for you.”

Apple Bloom sniffed and yawned, scratching an itch in her neck. “Ooohh, ouch…” she said as the muscles in her shoulders reminded her of their soreness. “Bear with me a bit longer,” she told them. “Today’s what it’s all been for.”

She wrapped herself in the violet costume that felt more like her skin than her yellow coat. Leaving off her mask and hat, she trotted out to find Lyra in the living room, hunched over an array of glittering gemstones on a white cloth on the ground.

“You made more?” asked Apple Bloom.

Lyra looked up, beaming. “I’ve been working on them for a while, but I stayed up all night and finished the batch.” She pointed to a piece of parchment on the coffee table. “There, study that when you can. Most of these are familiar, but there are a couple of new ones.”

Apple Bloom took up the sheet and read the description of each colored stone. “Wow… you sure these are gonna work?”

“Nope,” said Lyra, “but if they do, heh… talk about an upper hoof.”

Grinning, Apple Bloom tucked the paper into her utility belt. “Thanks, Lyra. You didn’t have to do this.”

“I want to help, Apple Bloom,” she said, scooping the gemstones into little piles. “We all have our parts to play, remember? I’m honored that mine is helping you.”

“Thanks. But let’s not get sentimental just yet.” Apple Bloom took a deep breath. “Today’s a big day. An unexpectedly big day.”

“And you have a lot to organize,” said Lyra. “Leave your belt and I’ll pack all this. Go make sure your ride is ready.”

Apple Bloom cocked an eyebrow. “The Wishin’ Well?” she asked.

“Oh… well, that too, if you want,” said Lyra, “but I was talking about Spike.”